I guess this is the new historical low from Ubisoft. You can see this warning on the game's Steam page. The news about DLC and online features were already bad, removing the entire game is something else.

Edit: Silent Hunter 5 and Anno 2070 will have the same fate apparently.
Edit 2: Added Space Junkies.
So the current list is:

• Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD
  • Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic
  • Anno 2070
  • Space Junkies

Related thread: [Ubisoft] Multiplayer and DLC access ending in September 2022 for some older games

Update: Ubisoft changed the notices and the games seem to be accessible after September 1st, though DLCs still won't be accessible.
Was that a mistake or did they change it after the gamers' reaction, it's a mystery for now.

Something for El Presidente Lvl3+ ENDED

1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

How will you act about Ubisoft products after this news?

View Results
I'll continue to buy Ubisoft games on Ubisoft Connect.
I won't buy Ubisoft games until they released on GOG.
I won't buy Ubisoft games ever again.
I stopped buying Ubisoft games years ago.
Le potato.

Where's the poll option for "I've never purchased a Ubisoft game and never will"??

1 year ago

Guess that is the potato answer? But yes, am personally missing that one as well, never got any Ubisoft game either so for me none of the options work either.

1 year ago

I knew I forgot something, but yeah at least there is potato.

1 year ago

Ubisoft is one the biggest dick today.
Now they do more and more stupid things.

I really wish a law against this digital licences...

1 year ago

Happy cakeday!

1 year ago

<3

1 year ago

Happy cakeday too ! 🍰

1 year ago*

<33

1 year ago

Happy cakeday!

1 year ago

<333

1 year ago

Happy cake day :P

1 year ago

Happy cakeday :3

1 year ago

<3

1 year ago

Happy cake day as well. :3

1 year ago

https://gg.deals/blog/ubisoft-will-remove-ac-liberation-anno-2070-from-user-libraries-on-steam/

"The Steam pages of Anno 2070, Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD, Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, and Space Junkies, feature the following disturbing notice:

The warning clearly states that the games won't be accessible on Steam from September 1st, 2022. Currently, there is no information if the owners of Ubisoft Connect versions will also lose access to their games."

So Anno 2070 full game and Silent hunter 5 full game. Worst than just dlc. Bye Ubisoft !

1 year ago

According to this, this isn't platform related so Ubisoft Connect users will also lose those games, yet there isn't any information on their website.

Also they put those warnings after the Steam sale ends. This is just low.

1 year ago

1 year ago

Nice anno devs ! 😊

1 year ago

That's a nice development!

I hope they manage to go DRM-free way instead of keeping the servers up a little more.

1 year ago

I get Ubisoft games mostly from bundles and only Liberation is affected (that I already played with no plans of returning), but this is such an awful way of doing things. No money for keeping up servers, no money for patching out DRM, but they are happily selling the games 2 months before completely retiring them, and giving a warning only after the sale is over.

1 year ago

Yeah, that's very scammy of them. Patching the DRM shouldn't be so hard, I mean pirates can do it.

And it seems Ubisoft also like piracy :)
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/vwchjq/this_seems_like_poor_phrasing_from_ubisoft/

1 year ago

I mean, years ago i bough ac2 and i had to pirate it just to play it without internet access, which i didnt always have at the time. Never bought anything from them since.

1 year ago

I don't buy anything out of steam.

Remember, Games as a Service are a scam and subscription services accentuate the private property-less future of capitalism,

1 year ago

But noone bought these game as service. Its not microsoft game pass. We bought licenses, for games, and for DLC.
Ubisoft wants to turn off online services - ok, although it's still stupid because if nobody uses them, they don't cost anything and everything can run on one physical machine together with the latest Ubisoft games.
While removing access to dlc (not multiplayer but single player), such as Washington trilogy in AC3 is theft.
Ubisoft is a European company, I have already filed a complaint with my national consumer ombudsman, I also intend to submit a notification to the prosecutor's office after September 1 cause no one is going to take away my property that I paid for.

1 year ago*

I was referring to the future Ubi (and most companies unfortunately) is going through!

Anyway, good to know you're filling a complaint, let me know how it goes, it's past time to get companies accountable.

1 year ago

Looks like some changes were made... Assassin’s Creed® Brotherhood, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands™ or Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist had the same quote as the Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD (I have checked it two hours ago), but now it shows: DLC Within this product as well as online elements and features will become unavailable, though the base game will remain accessible as of Sept 1st, 2022.

Edit: I was thinking, doesn't it just mean that store page wouldn't be longer accessible for Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD? Because I know some delisted games on Steam that still have their page on and other delisted games that longer have no page. 😕

1 year ago*

Didn't check them before this incident so I cannot say if something changed there. But isn't at least Prince of Persia older than Uplay? Though they don't have a Steam release date on the page, it is possible that those games released on Steam way later. I mean there are some games on Steam that don't come with Uplay, like Far Cry 2. At least they're safe I think.

For some titles the Steam page remains, for some it doesn't. I guess depends on the publisher. However even the Steam page remains, it doesn't show up when you directly search on Steam. Though they can still be found through search engines.

1 year ago

Don't know, just noticed it had the same line. We will have to wait and see what happens I suppose.

Saw two articles with a statement from Ubisoft that it will remain playable:
Assassin’s Creed Liberation will stay on Steam for current owners and Ubisoft 'Decommissioning Assassin's Creed: Liberation,' Says Owners Will Still Have Access. Anything can happen in two months...

1 year ago*

'''UPDATE: At the moment, Assassin’s Creed Liberation is still available to install with Assassin’s Creed III Remastered. '''

So it doesn't say about the actual title, which means it will be inaccessible as they state on the Steam page. I think after these news, no one would buy AC III Remastered just to play Liberation. Trust is hard-earn and easy to lose. And Ubisoft already lost it.

1 year ago

They were trying it before the statement I believe? Update is right at the beginning: July 11, 2022 Ubisoft has clarified that current owners of Assassin’s Creed Liberation will retain access to the game when online features are ‘decommissioned’ September 1.

1 year ago*

Maybe they should've written "within" instead of "with", I don't know it doesn't look a clear statement to me. Well, we'll see the exact thing in September, these could be much bigger until then.

The article says that but the game's Steam page still says the other way. Wonder which one is true.

1 year ago

They changed the notices and those games don't seem like to be completely removed anymore.
Now I wonder if this was a mistake and they made the change by heart or they just did the change just because of the reaction they got. Latter has a stronger feel on me.

1 year ago

Articles on it have been updated with a statement from Ubisoft that people who bought the game "will still be able to access, play or redownload" it. Ubisoft still sucks but this seems like the same as every other delisted game. We will have to see how it actually plays out, though.

1 year ago

It seems for some titles they updated the explanation. It still the same for the said titles though.
Yeah, we'll see how things will end up in September.

1 year ago

One of the few cases where pirating is justifiable. Losing access to online multiplayer content is understandable, as it needs servers to run, but to lose access to single player is not acceptable. I don't think they have a reason to do that. Could there be a misunderstanding?

1 year ago

They should've known that checking DLC same as the multiplayer would be a bad idea. They must have thought these days will come and servers will shut down. At least these kinda make sense even though it's anti-consumer. Removing a single-player game entirely doesn't make sense. Pirates give a better service than Ubi here.

Assasin's Creed Brotherhood's page says
'Notice: DLC Within this product as well as online elements and features will become unavailable, though the base game will remain accessible as of Sept 1st, 2022 '
Assassin's Creed Liberation's page says
'Notice: Please note this title will not be accessible following September 1st, 2022 '

So, sadly it doesn't seem like a misunderstanding.

1 year ago

The only misunderstanding here is likely the one about games being forcibly removed from libraries, they should stay in existing owners' libraries, and just get delisted from stores, thus becoming unavailable to potential new buyers.

As to whether they'll still be playable or become digital doorstoppers, I 'd be inclined to believe they wouldn't go as far down as actually bringing down single player games, considering the backlash they got years ago due to always online DRM.

The only one we can be sure will die is the multiplayer-only one, Space Junkies.

As for DLCs, it'd be very simple to just remove the authentication requirements, or even add the content to the base games...
...but they obviously don't want to.

Unless the PR hit is so hard it makes them have a change of mind, but I highly doubt it, seeing how their stance on NFTs didn't even budge after being roasted online.

1 year ago

Multiplayer functions being unavailable because servers are taken offline when a game is retired is unfortunate but this is about denying access to a fully singleplayer game. Absolutely beyond despicable. Specially since they 100% knew they'd do this and yet they still had the game at 75% off during the summer sale, leading to many people buying it. I almost bought it myself but opted to buy another AC game instead, which I now regret simply because Ubisoft will surely one day do that to it as well. I truly hope that people will finally make big enough uproar against Ubi that they have to correct this somehow, if gamers just let them pull this then there is nothing at all stopping them from doing it in the future; and other companies following closely behind.

1 year ago

I hope they don't pull this off. Though I'm pretty sure Ubisoft covered this in their EULA so I have no idea about its juristic state, but these should be illegal. If they cannot maintain it as a "service", they have to make it DRM-free so things like these shouldn't happen in the first place.

I think selling the game in summer sale just before revoking the entire game shows that they don't care about their customers. As for DLCs, they could've just unlock all the DLC for everyone instead of removing them from every owner.

I hope EU does something about this, otherwise it will be a very bad precedent.

1 year ago

Admittedly I haven't gone through the EULA myself but I did hear something along the lines that they are technically legally doing nothing wrong here, so that doesn't sound promising for the consumers. Not that I'm surprised but it's still despicable move, like you said they should've made it DRM-free and not try... this. Fingers crossed that EU can and will do something, so nothing like it will be happening all the time.

1 year ago

Yeah, what they do is probably legal. That's the reason why there are anti-DRM organizations, they're trying to make that illegal. If you ask me, those should be illegal because DRM is an anti-consumer content protection. It's supposed to protect publishers not the consumers. Witcher 3 is a very good example. It doesn't have a DRM protection of any kind, yet sold millions, including GOG. So it is possible. Also people find a way to going around those protection if they want, you cannot prevent that. They need to understand that. What they do is restricting their actual customers while people who pirating reaching the full stuff. Price is not the important thing here, but availability is.

+1 I hope EU does something about this.

1 year ago

I would love to listen those overly dumb users who refuse treat steam buys as digital properties...

1 year ago

I'll continue to buy ubisoft games is steam

1 year ago

Nice to see the update about them undoing the single player lockout.

But I'd still be wary as I found out about this from last year where they broke the single player of Might & Magic X. They did fix things apparently 4 months later. But it makes me wonder if some of these games actually use a similar system and people won't know until the servers are offline.

1 year ago

Yeah, just checked and saw they changed the notices. At least they won't remove the entire game now it seems, though removing DLCs are still a problem and anti-consumer.

Guess we'll see the real thing after September 1st and if this is not just a parry.

1 year ago

Can it be that this whole mess only affects the Steam versions of those games? Because they're still selling the full version of Anno 2070 (including DLC) on the Ubi store? So, they basically screwed me wit the DLC for Anno 2070 because I made the mistake to buy it through Steam back then when I didn't even know about those different launchers? I mean, they basically screwed me with the double DRM for years - you need both Steam and Uplay to run the game when it's bought on Steam, while it runs fine through Uplay alone when you bought it elsewhere. I can understand they can't offer multiplayer content forever, but the DLC also contains the expansion for single player, I would really hate to see it go.

1 year ago

The removing the game thing was only affecting Steam though they "fixed" the notices now so it's only multiplayer and DLCs. This isn't platform related. Since they will shut down the servers, Steam, Uplay all affected from this. The geniuses made the DLC authentication through servers so once they are gone, it won't be possible for them to authenticate who bought the DLCs, so they pull from everyone. Instead, they could've just made DLC all for free. They won't sell them, they cannot authenticate them. Why not remove the DRM right?

Probably the only possible way left to play those missions is pirating, which is ridiculous.

1 year ago

And yet, they're still selling at this point the complete edition of Anno 2070 and the DLC in their store. So either there's some way around the DLC authentication issue with the Uplay version of the game, or they wait for customers to find out the stuff they bought now doesn't work any more after Sept 1st?

1 year ago

Yeah, unless they have a possible fix "that they don't share with public" what they do here is evil. I don't know what will they do in the end but they should give DLCs free to everyone at this point, if there is no way for them to authenticate. It's the least they can do.

1 year ago

The Anno devs seem to have said they are working to make the DLC work after the servers are shut off, here is hoping AC devs do the same.

1 year ago

Yeah, another bullsh*t from our "loved" game company uBiSoFt 🤢

1 year ago

Just as I was going to play it next. If I ever managed to finish AC III that is. Stopped twice already. So boring after playing through the Ezio games again...

Ubisoft must be jealous of all the hatred Activision has been getting lately so they're upping the ante.

1 year ago

The problem with generic Ubisoft games is it's always the same formula. If you let AC III to be someone's first AC game, they will probably love it, because it's a nice formula. I feel like they seek the new generation of gamers every year since this formula gets old pretty quick. This is the reason I found AC IV Black Flag kinda boring despite it being a very good game. Because I already played 5 other games with the same formula before. They need to see this.

1 year ago

You have a point but I just felt the story too generic and the character very bland. The whole forcing him into every step of the American Revolution, even after event also felt ludicrous. I guess Ezio meeting every famous name in the Renaissance history lore was also a bit laughable but it didn't feel as forced, I dunno.
Plus you spend hours running around in the the same woods, which I thought would be fun but gets really tedious.

Black Flag dragged on a little in the story but at least they made an effort with the gameplay. Even naval quests sucked in III

1 year ago

I completely agree that AC III was one of the weakest AC game story-wise, especially over the Ezio trio. But gameplay-wise it was not so different, not talking about level design here though.

1 year ago

For sure, it wasn't really updated.
Same thing goes with most of the franchise, although they did go more RPG with the recent games and that brings in some fresh air, it's still a similar gameplay.

1 year ago

I heard a lot of good things about them, starting with Origins though haven't played them. I don't know if I want to play a fantasy-mythology mix AC game, probably not. Though I don't think it would cut for me since even Black Flag was partly boring to me. I feel like most of the AC games are just an excuse to climb some historical buildings and not so much. :)

1 year ago

I feel like most of the AC games are just an excuse to climb some historical buildings and not so much. :)

Haha but such a good excuse though! My gf is forever rolling my eyes at me when we go places, saying "yeah yeah, I know, you climbed that one too". What can I say? I'm a gamer even when I travel, that's my kind of travel.

1 year ago

Heh, AC games certainly have their uses for certain times. :)

1 year ago

But we also praise many games that use that same generic formula - Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, The Witcher 3, etc. So many games use that same open world formula but aren't as ass blasted as Ubisoft games. Perhaps it could be the yearly release that does it, but people should then be fair and criticize other games for the same thing they flame Ubisoft for. Just my two cents.

1 year ago

That's fair. While those games are similar in a way, they all have relatively different mechanics. I think what Ubisoft should learn here, they shouldn't use all the same mechanics in all of their big titles. I mean, while playing Black Flag, I was so bored with killing animals, gathering materials to make some crafting. I already did the same thing in Far Cry 3. I'm not saying it's a bad mechanic but if I encounter the same thing in different games on a yearly basis, it gets boring eventually. Maybe this works on new players, it definitely does not work on veteran players.

1 year ago

You have a point but I guess a lot of these games, even when they come in series, try to bring something new to the genre or to the series.

Ubisoft cruised for years on the AC franchise without even trying. It took the massive critical and sales failure of Unity and Syndicate for them to even reconsider putting the franchise up on the easel and renovating anything about it.

And I'm not complaining, I love the franchise, some more than others ofc, and the revamp was a good one but they tend to be lazy when it comes to successful games.

1 year ago

For all those who might be interested, I just ran a little experiment.

I installed AC Liberation HD for the first time, disabled my internet connection as soon as it was done to simulate server switchoff, and launched it.
The only kind of online requirement I got hit with was a prompt to authenticate my Ubisoft account, and only the first time.

Now, considering that account authentication is literally the main point of the whole platform, and that if it went away the backlash would be so hard their headquarters would be torched, I'd say this should be fine.
There's still the possibility of a separate authentication server being phoned to during the process, but considering how hard they were roasted back then for AC2's always online DRM (which they removed after a few months), I'd hope it's unlikely.

Mind that my copy is entirely on Uplay / Ubisoft Connect, so I can't vouch for the Steam copy with its double DRM scheme behaving the same.

1 year ago

Well thank you for putting in some efforts to test it regardless. No guarantees can be made but it gives some hope for the process.

1 year ago

Of course it is. Just look at the pirated AC3 version which includes all dlc's and doesn't require online mode.
So ubisoft has no arguments that it "must" steal single player dlc from us because they turn off online mode.

1 year ago

So that shows something can be done unofficially which is good for us. I still hope for them to recover DLC content one way or another but this unofficial possibility is kinda promising.

1 year ago

What's the issue now with Silent Hunter 5 tho? why it's not back on sale like the others or It's gone for good?

1 year ago

Changes have been made and a new statement came from Ubisoft but I still feel like they were testing the waters with this bullshit

1 year ago

I feel the same, I think they weren't expected this kind of reaction and backfired.

1 year ago

That's the exact gameplan for all of these companies. Do one horrible thing, reverse course due to 'fan feedback', then introduce something slightly less horrible later which gets normalized because 'it could be worse'.

1 year ago

This isn't a mystery at all. If you search the pcgaming subreddit, you'll find a post from 9 days ago that links to their support article they are now telling the media about, where they clearly state that the only thing that will be unavailable is the DLC tied to online servers and MP will be shut down. There was never any shady business about taking away the ability to play the game. Ubisoft just doesn't know how to English very well it seems and worded it poorly on the Steam store page.

1 year ago

I think this is the post you mentioned? Yeah, the linked article says only multiplayer and DLC for these games too. Though I don't know, if their English is bad (it shouldn't be for a company that big, that's the other case), they could've just copy-pasted from other game pages, why was these games different? Maybe this version is not shady but I still cannot trust them. Especially after taken down single-player DLCs.

1 year ago

I want to say either "I won't buy Ubisoft games until they released on GOG." or "I won't buy Ubisoft games ever again.", but sadly I'll forget about this incident in a few months, if not weeks, and the next time I see something from Ubisoft that I want to buy, I will.

1 year ago

I guess this depends on the people. Since this is not the first anti-consumer thing they did, I don't trust them for a longer time already. I only bought Ubisoft games either on Steam or GOG and I didn't buy from them after they left Steam. Probably a lot of people here didn't buy Ubisoft games after they left Steam as well. Some people don't really care about platforms or DRM and they just want to play their games, and I understand that. But things like this affect everyone, even if you don't care (maybe especially if you don't care).

I still crave Anno 1800 (I really love Anno games) and I thought about buying it on Uplay, however once they introduced season pass bullshittery on there too, that was the first and the last time I thought about buying something on Uplay. If Anno 1800 ever hit GOG, I'll go buy it (but I highly doubt since the latest one there is Anno 1404).

1 year ago

I guess this depends on the people.

I was talking about me specifically. Didn't mean to imply anything.

Ubisoft games after they left Steam as well

They they remove all games? I thought it was just a few games, and the fact that they won't be releasing any more games on steam.
Honestly, I am fine with them not releasing new titles, it's their choice. But removing earlier title, and also revoking access is an a**hole move.

I still crave Anno 1800

Same here. Though I doubt I'll ever get it, since it's neither on steam nor on GOG. And Uplay prices are out of my reach (actually GOG prices too, as they support regional pricing for my region yet).

1 year ago

Oh no, they left Steam means they didn't release their newer titles on Steam, like AC Valhalla, Anno 1800 (they pulled Anno 1800 shortly after their deal with Epic though), Far Cry 6 etc. I emailed them a couple of times about Anno 1800 but they said they don't think to go back to Steam, this was probably 3 years ago. And currently "revoking" is only present for Space Junkies it seems, they changed the other notices.

1 year ago

I emailed them a couple of times about Anno 1800 but they said they don't think to go back to Steam

Too bad.

And currently "revoking" is only present for Space Junkies it seems, they changed the other notices.

Oh, I didn't know about that. That latest news I had was of the ~4 titles or so they were gonna revoke access to. I guess good thing they changed their minds, but at the same time it makes me realize that we can loose access to any steam game any time.

1 year ago

AC IV servers have been disabled. if you don't have a backup of saves. you will lose access to the content forever(PC)

1 year ago

Black Flag are you sure? There haven't been mentions of it getting disabled anywhere.

1 year ago

I was told about it by 2 people, one of them is my friend. I have no reason not to believe them. they have Uplay versions. If you delete the save, the content is lost. however, the steam version works fine and displays the content, even if the save is lost. perhaps it's all about the specifics of the binding. uplay does not display the content of the game from steam because it sees it as a full-fledged game without separation into a game and DLC.

1 year ago

Do you have any links perhaps? I couldn't find anything regarding this, unless it's too new. I only know about AC IV is there is no cloud save of any form. And you can easily lose your progress if you're playing on Steam due to Uplay issues.

1 year ago

I wasn't looking for any information. I found out about this from a user's response in my post on the Ubisoft forum. https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/164267/disabling-servers-for-a-number-of-old-games-and-denying-access-to-dlc-in-them-in-september/3?lang=en-US&_=1658154495105

1 year ago

I don't think that's related to Russia as well but I remember something like this happened before (maybe at least 5 years ago?). As I remember, it was a server issue and they were "fixed" it. But seeing this happening again with this timing, it seems very fishy to me.

1 year ago

as I mentioned in the post, the steam version behaves normally. it's very strange, but it's true. if steam links content more securely, then maybe I will regret that I did not buy the Ezio Trilogy and AC 3 there while I had the opportunity

1 year ago

That's weird. Though I don't think it's related to Steam nor Uplay since Steam version also runs Uplay again and everyone will lose access to DLC no matter what version they have. However Steam keeps some older builds of the games and even Ubisoft completely cuts the access, we should still can play those games with an unofficial patch, like pirated versions. So it could actually be better to have them on Steam.

1 year ago

usually the game page in the uplay library shows a list of DLCs. games tied to uplay from steam do not have this list. this is just a guess. but if content from steam reads more acceptable, it's strange that Ubisoft didn't bother with a podcast for their launcher. we'll know for sure on September 1st when Ubisoft officially shuts down the servers, but I don't have classic games on Steam to test my theory. regarding the situation as a whole. very strange that Ubisoft announced this news so simply, they should have known that the reaction would be very negative they should have written this (servers will be down on September 1st, we will release patches so that you can play as usual), but instead they they say that we will lose access to the DLC and that's it. When I wrote to support. the op just told me to play the DLC until they are disabled lol. at that moment I wanted to kill him and this feeling has not disappeared yet))

1 year ago

At this point this is not even greed. They won't sell those DLCs anymore, they could've just activated for everyone. Instead, they took them from who bought those. Currently we only see those DLCs on Steam as deluxe editions but they were separate DLCs at one point (at least for some of them), so I cannot say the same. I think only safe games are the ones that don't tied to Uplay, like Far Cry 2, HoMM V etc.

We'll see how things will go soon. But Ubisoft is going worse, with these policies they deserve to bankrupt.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.