http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/yvLsy/into-the-dark-ultimate-trash-edition

Yesterday was cheese and grease. Today? A little bit more plus ice cream for a meal. First up was a 2 hour drive to Columbus to meet up with a friend at OSU - then lunch at Hot Chicken Takeover. I'm an (ex-)Southerner, and I have to say that the fried chicken was excellent. And that mac and cheese - absolutely delicious. We toured OSU and then went to German Village for a bit (Book Loft recommended!), but then sadly it was time for a two hour drive back to Cleveland. We did stop by a Culver's on the way back - never been, but heard the cheese curds and frozen custard were good. And they were indeed :P

Finally, yeah, we ate Ice Cream for dinner at Sweet Moses. Overall another successful day of food touring.

I have a feeling that tomorrow won't feel very good, especially since I'm lactose intolerant...

Anyone have recommendations for restaurants in their hometowns? You know, in case I happen to go there some day :D

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Piaggio P.180 Avanti

The Piaggio P180 Avanti is an Italian executive transport aircraft with twin turboprop engines mounted in pusher configuration. It seats up to nine passengers in a pressurized cabin, and may be flown by one or two pilots. The design is of three-surface configuration, having both a small forward wing and a conventional tail plane as well as its main wing, with the wing spars passing outside of the passenger cabin area.
Info Copied from Wikipedia
Wikipedia
Video
Video of Engine Startup and Takeoff
Flying Mag Article

Development

Design studies began in 1979 and designs were tested in wind tunnels in Italy and the United States in 1980 and 1981. A collaboration with Learjet to develop the aircraft began in 1983 but ended on 13 January 1986, with Piaggio continuing development on its own. The first prototype flew on 23 September 1986. American and Italian certification was obtained on 2 October 1990. Learjet's influence can be seen in the two "delta fins" mounted on the bottom of the tail, as found on most Learjets; these devices help provide yaw stability and pitch stability at high angles of attack.[citation needed]
The first 12 fuselages were manufactured in Wichita, Kansas, with H & H Parts and Plessey Midwest, then flown to Italy for final assembly. Avanti Aviation Wichita ran out of money in 1994; the project languished until a group of investors led by Piero Ferrari became involved in 1998. The 100th aircraft was delivered in October 2005 and the 150th in May 2008. Piaggio has reported that, as of October 2010, the Avanti and Avanti II fleets have now logged over 500,000 flight hours.
An improved Avanti II obtained European and U.S. certification in November 2005. Six months later, 70 planes had been ordered, including 36 by Avantair. The Avanti II features uprated Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 turboprop engines and flies about 18 km/h (11 mph) faster, with better fuel economy; an all-new "glass panel" avionics suite reduces cockpit clutter. In addition to heading, attitude and navigation information, flat panel color LCD displays add collision avoidance (TCAS), ground proximity (TAWS) and real-time graphic weather depiction.
The Avanti is marketed as being faster than other turboprops and many mid-sized jets, while being up to 40% more fuel efficient than market-competing jets.

Design

The Avanti's turboprop engines are placed on a mid-set, high aspect ratio wing located just behind the cabin. The three-surface design incorporates both a T-tail and a pair of small, fixed forewings having slight anhedral and landing flaps. On the Avanti II these flaps automatically deploy in concert with the main wing flaps. This reduces the load on the tail plane, even when the flaps are deployed, by reducing the pitch-down moment created by the deployment of the main wing flaps. This in turn allows the size of both the tail plane and the main wing to be reduced. This particular three-lifting-surface configuration was patented in 1982.
The forward wing's angle of incidence is slightly greater than that of the main wing, so that it stalls before the main wing, producing an automatic nose-down effect prior to the onset of main wing stall; its five-degree anhedral (negative dihedral) keeps the stream wash interference clear of the engine inlets, the main wing and the tail plane.
The cabin cross-section varies continuously along the length of the aircraft; the shape approximates a NACA airfoil section, and the slowly changing curve helps prolong laminar flow on the front of the fuselage. Piaggio claims that the fuselage contributes up to 20% of the Avanti's total lift, with the front and rear wing providing the remaining 80%. Due to the unusual fuselage shape, the mid cabin is considerably wider than the cockpit. The front and rear airfoils are custom sections designed by Dr. Jerry Gregorek of Ohio State University's Aeronautical and Astronautical Research Laboratory to achieve a drag-reducing 50% laminar flow at cruise. The company claims the overall design of the P180 Avanti II enables the wing to be 34% smaller than on conventional aircraft.

Performance

The P180 is said to have good fuel efficiency relative to other small turbojets flying in the same speed and altitude range. Flight International stated: "The Avanti has no direct turboprop competitors, its closest jet rivals are the Raytheon Premier I and the Cessna Citation CJ2+... Piaggio says low-drag laminar flow is maintained to around 50% of wing chord, compared with around 20–25% for conventional tractor turboprops where propeller wash disturbs the airflow over the wing... specific air range at high altitude is 3.4km/kg (0.84nm/lb) compared with around 2km/kg (0.49nm/lb) for current jets or 2.7km/kg (0.67nm/lb) for other turboprops." By this estimate, mileage is 70% better per-fuel-unit than comparable jet aircraft, although this greater efficiency is achieved only at a relatively slow 315 KTAS and FL410. P180 Avanti II Specifications now show slightly lower numbers for specific range of 3.1 km/kg (0.76 nm/lb).

Interior noise is lower than conventional turboprop aircraft, because the propellers and engine exhausts are located behind the cabin. Piaggio quotes 68 dBA. However, due to the strongly disturbed flow in which the pusher propellers operate, the exterior noise is higher. The exterior noise level and its higher pitched sound has been shown to be the result primarily of the interaction of the turbine engine exhaust flows and the five-bladed pusher props (est. +9 dB). On takeoff, the Avanti has been measured at 81.9 dBA sideline noise level, slightly lower than the Beechcraft King Air at 82.8 dBA. This is below FAA stage 3 noise limits, which set a maximum of 89 EPNdB for takeoff. However, the P180 has been the subject of noise complaints at airports, such as Naples Municipal Airport, Florida, where the airport authority determined it was the noisiest aircraft using that facility. Alan Parker, chairman of the Naples Municipal Airport Authority's technical committee, described the Avanti as "irritating loud" and compared the high pitched sound "to fingernails on a chalkboard".
The Piaggio P.180 Avanti has a sea-level, standard day, maximum gross weight takeoff distance of 869 m (2,851 ft) and a landing roll of 872 m (2,861 ft).
In 2014 Piaggio announced development of an updated version, called EVO. It uses new Hartzell composite propellers, with blades of scimitar configuration. Its wings carry new winglets; aerodynamic improvements have been incorporated, and an additional 60-gallon (400 lb) fuel tank is added. The company predicts improved climb performance, 250 nm greater range, and 3% reduction in fuel usage. The revised propeller shape, combined with a lower engine speed, promises a 68% reduction in external noise. EASA certification is expected by December 2014. Projected purchase price is in the $7.4 million range. The first Evo was delivered in April 2015, with five more to follow the same year.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
8 years ago

I concur. Great plane with power and speed. Pretty good fuel efficiency.

8 years ago

Duuuuuuuuuude...

8 years ago

Wow, I wish my flights were in that plane...

8 years ago

If you ever happen yourself around the Jackson, TN area there's a really awesome BBQ place in Jacks Creek called...wait for it...Jack's Creek BBQ. Haha. Literally the best I've ever eaten. When I go over there to visit I buy the stuff by the pounds and take it back home.

Haven't come across anything to die for in Knoxville yet. Sadly :/

8 years ago

Mmm... I could go for some good bbq right now - can't say there are any outstanding places in CA. I've driven through Knoxville before as a child, but we didn't stop to eat anything.

8 years ago

You could drive as a child?!

8 years ago

This post made me hungry

View attached image.
8 years ago

What made you visit Cleveland anyway? There aren't a whole lot of attractions here. The most we can boast is having the Cleveland Clinic. Are you attending school here?

8 years ago

Have some friends in the Med Schools around the area (Case and OSU mainly)

8 years ago

I live in Norther Virginia, but I don't eat out much so I don't really know of any good good restaurants except for the chains. Paisano's and Bella's have great but expensive pizza (I'd suggest the Mozzarella salad), Manhattan bagels have good bagels + Orangina. Wegman's has some great food too. If you head out to D.C I suggest Manny & Olga's, they have amazing calzones.

Now I'm missing cheese Curds.

8 years ago

I've heard of Wegman's before - it's a supermarket, no?

8 years ago

Yep, They also make great subs and pizza and a bunch of other stuff.

8 years ago

I have tons of restaurants to recommend. but i doubt you'll get here soon ;)

8 years ago

(...) especially since I'm lactose intolerant.

lol you wanna die :S
Let's see... Nope, any place. I only know cheap places to eat, not places with good food, sorry :/
EDIT: Artesanal Ice creams from Imma or Kalúa, just if you want to suffer a bit more because of your intolerance

View attached image.
8 years ago*

I can't think of any relevant restaurant in my area. But I like icecream. Banana and chocolate is my favorite combo.

View attached image.
8 years ago

Heh, you would have liked the sundae we got. It was bananas foster ice cream with chocolate sauce, caramel, and brownies

8 years ago

Hard to offer restaurant tips, there's many good smaller ones around where I live.

View attached image.
8 years ago

Yay ice cream! I'm semi-lactose intolerant (if that exists).
Depends of how much diary I have. One or two scoops I'm fine, anything over & I'm in trouble.
Guess it's an inbuilt self-control mechanism :)

View attached image.
8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.