Story <- Read it

Read this too

Artist gets $35.000 for two weeks of doing nothing

• inb4 fanboys attacking

• the following statement by Yogscast: "“Although we’re under no obligation to do anything, instead we’re going to do our best to make this right, and make you really glad you backed the project!”" it basically means "f**k you suckers, we took your money and now we might have pity on you and throw some cheap bone." C'mon they're easily one of the wealthiest "youtubers" and they could do refunds (or even fund a large chunk the game in the first place) they just don't care.

I'm sick and tired of these so called "youtubers" parading as businessmen and celebrities. Most of them are untalented idiots and it would be hilarious to see them mess up if not for the people they harm.

• Legal question for the smart ones: Can Kickstarter submitters be legally forced to provide a precise (I mean precise) account of their expenses, and where the money went? Not like a contract drawn on the back of a milk box, more like proving it with tax forms, receipts, bank statements etc. If the proofs of expenditures aren't matching the Kickstarter goal then it's violating the agreement with the backers and they can be sued. It seems Kickstarter is being run like a pig farm in Southern Dakota...

accountability

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Remember kids: Kickstarter is a platform for investments and donations, not for pre-ordering.
This sort if shit can and will happen if the project you're funding is run by scam artists, people with no business sense or a mix of both. This appears to be putting the developer into the "people with no business sense" camp for now.

9 years ago

Is it really a scam when they themselves were scammed?

9 years ago

Here is a very detailed account of everything that is considered "public record".
Also, I don't know how these forums work, so I don't know how to make the link took all pretty like.
http://kotaku.com/how-a-successful-kickstarter-lost-half-a-million-dollar-1608877998

9 years ago

1. From Yogventures! : Project by
    Winterkewl Games LLC
    If they are the creator then they are responsible for the project and Yogscast can not be held responsible for its failure.

2. Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?
    "Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) This information can serve as a basis for legal recourse if a creator doesn't fulfill their promises. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill."

3. The money problem
    Despite the fact that Yogscast is not responsible for the project it is understandable that hovewer this happened people would say they are responsible because their name is plastered all over it. So, how I see it dev proved to be a bad planner and Lewis wanted to get money that was left and handle the situation in a reasonable way (be it replacement, hiring new team, refunds, whatever) but he got 150K. 50k was supposed to go to physical rewards (and there was info that they were sent to pledgers; some got them and others didn't for unspecified reasons). The big issue 100k is under "no comment" zone. Now what could have happened to it:
    a) it was kept for possible "fixing the mistakes" fee (aka providing something different for failed project)
    b) production/sending of physical rewards was miscalculated (I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case considering how "well" the rest of planning went)
    c) it was used to expand the company (so they could afford to continue with this/fix it/do anything about it/not bankrupt and leave everyone with nothing like winterkewl did) - edit: they say money was spent on the project so this would be the "if they lied" option

4. But they were supposed to hire main programmer
    So after their artist left 2 weeks into the work + the time it took for them to debate the future of the project they asked a gamer to hire a programmer? How do you even start making a game without one?
    And as for why Yogs didn't want to provide coverage needed to get more money for the project. Well, this is how it started and you may only wonder what the hell happened to this

I'd like to remind some people that Yogscast are gamers, not game devs. Just because they are big now doesn't mean this was aways the case. They made some mistakes and they are trying to fix them. Maybe a bit late but at least it's not never.

9 years ago

Two questions:

1: Who the hell is Yogacast (or whatever.)
2: Why should I care?

9 years ago

9 years ago

I never heard of Yogscast until now....and I can see why...not very interesting.

9 years ago

This is why I never gave any money to "early access" "kickstarters" etc. It's a gamble, and I don't gamble. Once again gamers have only themselves to blame!

9 years ago

I don't think Yogscast got anything but headaches out of this really. But funny how they call the one who ran and took their money a "friend".
Anyway, all I can do is laugh at the fanboys for buying solely because of the name

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.