I need to buy a new monitor.
Should I get a 144hz monitor? Is it worth the extra money?

Edit: Also, what do you think about 1080p vs 1440p?

8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Is 144hz monitor worth the extra cost? Is the change in FPS noticable to the eye?

View Results
Yes - 144 hz worth the extra money
No - Stick to 60 hz

How to pick a monitor:

1. Spend more. A monitor can easily last 5-7 years. Get a better one and keep it for longer.
  2. Pick screen size and resolution. 24" or 27" is the way to go, with 1440p (4k is still too expensive and difficult to use).
  3. Pick screen technology. IPS, PLS and AHVA are all the same types, and is the only thing you should go for. Better angles and much better colours than TN.
  4. Pick speed. 60, 75, 120, 144hz. Go for the highest possible. A 144hz monitor will always benefit you. Even when surfing the internet, the mouse movement will be more smooth, and you can even read the text when scrolling, as it updates so fast.

Jokers:
A. Adaptive Sync (freesync) or Gsync. Great for gaming; will be the de facto standard very soon.
B. Ultrawide. Ultrawide 21:9 monitors are getting more popular than ever, as the field of view becomes much greater. All games will benefit from this, and in windows you can do 2 windows side by side as a faux dual monitor setup.

My dream monitor is a 34" ultra wide curved monitor with freesync and IPS. It will be around 75hz or more, and will be released in a couple of months. Price is horribly high though. :(

If you have AMD, then Asus just released a 27" 144hz 1440p IPS monitor. It has freesync from 35-90hz, and can do 144hz native, if you disable freesync on the menu: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/ASUS-MG279Q-27-1440P-144Hz-IPS-35-90Hz-FreeSync-Monitor-Review

8 years ago

Unless you have a video card and overall computer to back that up and run games over 120hz then no. Always go for anything over 1080P since 1080P is more or less the standard now.

8 years ago

Pasha about 60 hz vs 144 hz monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVnit-9UujY

8 years ago

if you have the horsepower to get 144FPS.. wich probably require you to be at the top of the line of graphics cards.

8 years ago

144hz means that Vsync will result in a smaller delay. And if you chose not to use it, there are less chances of games tearing at higher refresh rates anyway.

In the end, it's something that you gotta feel for yourself. I was blown away when I went from 60 to 100hz. That was just on desktop. Not even in games. The mouse alone feels awesome and very responsive/smooth.

8 years ago

get 1440p.

8 years ago

Yes 144hz is much much better, except for graphic quality, i've buyed it one month ago and replaced my 60hz, totally different now (i've also tested with friends, they changed the settings ingame and i noticed the difference everytime between 60hz and 144hz, but they doesn't).

I've gained that but i've lost image quality, compared screen to screen was too different for that, but isn't important, now i've managed the settings and is good now. I have the benq xl2420z, previous one was benq gl2420hm.

8 years ago

You can get 144hz IPS and AHVA panels today, so the colours and picture quality is still as good as the highend 60hz ones.

8 years ago

xl2420z is a very good monitor, but image quality is less than the gl2420hm (cheap one) used before, trust me...

8 years ago

heh, i read 1440p as 144p which would of course be much worse than 1080p

8 years ago

Here's a trick to tell if your rig can do 1440p at 144Hz. I'm assuming that you currently have a 59 or 60Hz 1080p LCD monitor of some kind. Run a game with VSync off and an FPS display on. If the game is running at 192 FPS or more then you'll be fine on that game.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 8 years ago.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

Spotted the console peasant.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

You claim there is no difference from 480p and up? And no difference between 60fps and up?

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

You need to see an optrician or an eye doctor or something like that.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

Wasn't a joke. Seriously if you cannot see the difference, you need glasses or something. Just go to an optrician. Quite cheap to get eyes checked.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

There is. Your eyes can see a lot more pixels than even an 8k video stream.
There is no difference in most common videos because Flash was never meant to be played on more than 360p,

But yes, you can tell the difference between a 60 Hz display and even a 100 Hz display, let alone a 120 or 144 Hz one.
And yes, you can tell if a game is 720p or 1080p. Or 4k. It is not that easy since most textures don't go over 4096 resolution, so they look pretty much the same on 1080p and 4k, but if the models are rendered correctly, it is recognisable.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

Err… that is supposed to be the difference in higher resolution, especially on flat 2D images. What else should be there but crisper image? In 3D gaming it acts as natural anti-aliasing since the larger pixel density cannot give enough room to make jaggies visible. Essentially, what you are saying, is the point of high resolutions.

8 years ago

I can tell a pretty big difference in quality between 480p and 720p, especially for games. Video I'm a bit less pedantic on, but a nice crisp 1080p BD is much nicer than a 480p DVD. Streaming is a bit more moot, since on a lot of streaming sites encoding actually makes "HD" video lower quality in order to allow for better stream quality, which makes sense for many users. Also, I often can't tell between 30 and 60 FPS, but there are times when it's quite clear. For example, on this test, I can only barely tell a difference between the two, but in a more complicated game I can tell if something is running at 30 vs. 60 quite easily, such as this example.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago*

That's a codec and Flash renderer issue. If you can, go to some tech expos and watch 4k and 8k movies encoded with some experimental stuff, like the almost-ready version of h.265. The difference is really, really obvious.

8 years ago

Don't listen to people saying who A) say it's not worth it because you can't tell the difference and B) people who say it's not worth it if you can't get 144fps.

Neither of those are even remotely correct. Even if you're doing nothing but office work, the entire PC just feels snappier when the screen is updating at 144hz. The easiest way to test this is just move the mouse pointer around the screen on a 144hz monitor... and then set it to 60hz and do the same. It feels horribly stuttery and laggy.

I've shown this to some people who didn't believe it makes a difference... and they all said the same thing: "There has to be something wrong with the monitor when it's set to 60hz." - but when they then tried a regular 60hz monitor, they noticed it's exactly the same on there. Basically, once you've seen it, there's no going back.

Obviously when you're running games you need a 60+ framerate to get the full benefit but unless your PC is extremely old you'd probably get above 60fps in a good amount of titles. Even 75fps is a huge step up in terms of smoothness compared to 60fps.

8 years ago

Remember that even though it's extra money for the display, to take advantage of 144hz you may need more firepower under the hood; you may also need to upgrade your computer components to get the bang you want out of a 144hz display. 1080 vs. 1440 is a bit more viable, but it depends on your setup. I personally find that at a desk 1080p is sharp enough that I don't really feel the need for a higher resolution, and again, you're asking for a lot more firepower to render at a higher resolution.

8 years ago

mine goes to 60hz but i keep it at 30hz i honestly cant see a difference anyways

8 years ago

Stick with 60fps. No need to buy unrefined technology. 30-60FPS is smooth enough as it is. I see no difference in that range.

Perhaps when 144hz monitors get more along the line in terms of technology they'll be worth it, but for now 60FPS is refined, stick with it.

8 years ago

See the problem with everyone's argument about current technology and future technology is that they're all just the same repetitive things. Guess what? You can say that in 2017 the technology will be better than the current ones right now, but what will you say when it's 2017? Wait for future technology because it'll be better than current (2017) technology? So just buy whatever you like. People have already stated the pros and cons for your choices.

8 years ago

Only buy a 144Hz monitor if you got a really good graphic card nVidia 980 ti or Titan X or AMD 295X2. And if you buy it do it with 4K, the 1080p is dying slowly.

Oh i forgot something:
You can always overclock your monitor frequency, i set my 1080p 60HZ monitor to 1080p 75Hz.

8 years ago

not all monitor can handle that

8 years ago

ya it's worth the extra money (but its all way depend of the gap between the 2 monitor). the screen will be way smoother at 144 fps than a 60 one and a 600 fps (i think that only tv can handle it for now) is way smoother than a 144 fps. (but way more expensive )

8 years ago

only if it's pls/ips and if you a decent video card

8 years ago

Everything is better than 60 Hz.

Personally I own BenQ XL2411Z, it's perfect. People who say it's not worth it or that you won't see a difference either never tried 120+ Hz monitor, or they're really too blind to see a difference. Or perhaps they have such monitor and they didn't change the refresh rate, I saw such blind retards as well.

Yes, you need a good PC if you want to enjoy all newest titles on more than 60 FPSes. But you DON'T need to achieve 144. I'm playing The Witcher 3 with my GTX 970 on average of 80 FPSes and it's enough for me to enjoy it. I had to balance graphics with average FPSes my eyes can handle, and 60 was too little, 80 seems perfect.

You can never get hurt by looking at higher refresh rate. Even if your GPU can't handle 144 FPSes in your favourite titles, you'll still see much difference in just 80 FPS, it's 33% more FPSes after all.

Once you go 144 Hz, you never look back.

8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago by Tzell.