"Do not submit what we consider exploited CD-keys.", yes i know thoose titles aren't stated there but i've seen people giving away like 7 copies of clash of heroes and other Ubisoft games... they didnt exactly steal em but it was supposed to be 1 game per person so they did exploited ubisoft shop. Would love to see someone from staff say what is their opinion.

And please don't try to tell me poeple suddenly bought 10 copies of game to do giveaway and it just happened you can get them for free in some parts of Europe.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

If you have 10 email adresses you can get 10 copies. Exploit? Yes I think so.

1 decade ago

Yeah even if i hated Ubisoft just recently i just deleted all my entries for Clash of Heroes to be fair with them, ill buy it somedey when it will get 75% off. I think its not cool that people hoard thoose keys just to get their contrib status up :/

1 decade ago

lOL i got all games from ubisoft under 10 $ xD

1 decade ago

You should not be proud about that...

1 decade ago

whats wrong with it ? they are giving away free games why not get it ? its not their loss nor their profit so whats wrong ? yes i created multiple a/cs to get games and i am saying truth many peoples cant even say that....and i am not giving away games so i can get any contributer status or anything i just get every game once and thats it

1 decade ago

"its not their loss nor their profit so whats wrong ?"

Now where have I heard that line before ? Oh right, every single software piracy debate ever. What a coincidence.

1 decade ago

Piracy profits developers, actually. But that's another debate.

1 decade ago

You keep telling yourself that, mate.

1 decade ago

You keep telling yourself that piracy is theft, and you'll end up in 1984.

1 decade ago

At no point in our conversation have I ever said that piracy is theft. Where did that come from ?
As for the 1984 reference, how - on - earth - is that relevant to the issue at hand ? Granted, it's been well over a decade since I read the book, but as far as I remember, software piracy was not an integral part of the plot...

1 decade ago

No, but ACTA, SOPA, and all those shitty laws they've been trying to pass recently, to "protect intellectual property". Totally not 1984-ish.
Piracy is theft : sorry, got you confused with the dude below. You still seemed to be hinting at it, though.

1 decade ago

You're right, they are, in fact, not 1984-ish. Those are crappy anti-consumer 'laws' aimed at taking certain rights away from consumers and giving them to corporations, but they deal neither with censorship nor constant surveillance, which is what I thought 1984 was mostly about.

And I'm not hinting that software piracy is theft - it very clearly isn't. It's copyright infringement. That does not mean I think piracy is okay, though, and it certainly does not mean I agree with you that piracy is good for developers.

1 decade ago

"they deal neither with censorship nor constant surveillance". cough
Reread them ;)

I would have bought way less games than I did if I hadn't pirated them before. And I wouldn't have recommended the game to my friends afterwards. Who wouldn't have recommended it to their friends. etc.

1 decade ago

There are server and bandwidth costs for downloading games. They wanted that everyone gets one free game and not every game under 10€. Just because it isn't forbidden means it is ok to do it?

1 decade ago

It might very well be forbidden... Not sure, their ToS is very hard to read...

1 decade ago

ToS are always hard to read, to make you not read them, then get assraped when they change it to something like "give us your firstborn"

1 decade ago

Robbery, what is wrong with it?

1 decade ago

Robbery means the person you stole it from doesn't have it any more. Piracy (or here, promo abusing), just means you get a free copy of the game/whatever you pirated.

Piracy isn't theft.

1 decade ago

yes it is. But seeing as you know nothing of making a product you'd know nothing about theft. It may not be direct, as they say, but in some form you are taking something that isn't yours from someone who holds value to that item.

1 decade ago

Yes, the only difference between piracy (copyright infringement) and theft is that you steal the original in a theft and on piracy you copy the original without permission. XTBoris is just on of the persons that thinks everything is allowed as long as nobody does anything about it.

1 decade ago

yeah US lawyers really messed that one up. Because the original. . . so If I'm selling prints of a book a a bookstore someone's allowed to walk in and take what ever they want?

1 decade ago

books are still solid goods. Not liquid like information.
One should be allowed to come in, open the book, copy it down themselves, then leave without paying.

1 decade ago

same with the digital frontier man.

1 decade ago

Sorry, I once again don't see what you mean :/

1 decade ago

You say you can take a copy; a book is a copy. as is a video game or any other digital thing. a digital book and a book are the same thing no? The words are the value to the writer the paper is just a medium.

1 decade ago

A book is not a copy. The information contained in the book is. Piracy is like walking into a store with your 3D printer, and making a copy of an object.

1 decade ago

Yup, you got it all right in your last sentence here. Abusing the system until people realise it's a bad system.

1 decade ago

But that isn't an excuse to do that. Would you say it's right to steal a car if I leave the door open and the engine is on?

1 decade ago

Yes. Stupidity deserves to be punished.

1 decade ago

That is what's wrong with humanity, only selfish idiots that think everything is ok as long nobody does anything against something.

1 decade ago

That's the very definition of humanity.
Oh, and ad hominem. Very cool, bro.

1 decade ago

It is... theft... you can hide behind words like Copyright Infringement all you want but its theft, if you don't pay the rights to the use the software then its theft.

Also you have a misguided look on things, is this an exploit yes... is it illegal yes.... is it theft yes..... are anonymous shit yes....

1 decade ago

you are near right. you don't have to pay but if you take a product have is up for exchange for X value and you take it outside of the terms set by the owner it is theft. Like a crazy example if I said first glass of lemonade at my kids stand and you ran up and took the jug that would be theft. If you were caught sending your friends to get you free lemonade that's theft too. Every nickel and dime mobster in the 30's set up a racket like that with food stamps and most countries with laws have setup for that.

1 decade ago

I didn't understand what you said there :/

1 decade ago

you might be too young.

1 decade ago

No, just too many grammar mistakes for me :/. Try reformulating ?

1 decade ago

yeah nice one rely on the grammar meme. . . Look guy quit promoting piracy on steam gifts please.

1 decade ago

No, but seriously, I didn't get what you meant. "if you take a product have is up for exchange for X value" makes no sense.

1 decade ago

it's a hard case to make which is why most fumble it. OK I'll place it differently. Person A hold X value to object Y. Person B takes Y without Person A's consent. Now the equation works but there needs to be more which is why you think that piracy isn't theft you see that. If person owns Y then things get tricky. in most minds Y must be taken from A. But with the book scenario we know this isn't true for if you steal a copy of a Y then by digital law it's not theft then that has to hold true. Under the digital copy argument then, as with the book, your saying you can walk into any store smash a window and steal a TV ( for it is a copy of the original).

1 decade ago

Nope, because a copy of a TV actually took money to make by itself (cost of materials and workforce). Information does not take money to be copied (or a very small amount of it). This is why piracy isn't theft.

1 decade ago

So using a music in a party without paying rights is theft ?
So making generic meds without paying rights to the pharmaceutical corporation who patented something they never discovered themselves is theft ?
So developing an open-source web browser which has a "method for automatically invoking external application providing interaction and display of embedded objects within a hypermedia document" without paying rights to some random company is theft ?

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

1. no your promoting music. Musicians have to get their art out there via means of performance and distribution.
  2. No you are creating your own product. A grey area due to the idea that you are basically denying someone else the ability to have rights to their product but really it's may the better product win. patent law is sticky but really doesn't fall under theft but patented law. Though the two have quiet similar scenarioes.
  3. Open source is again not theft due the term. But if say you use someone's non-open source engine That's theft and plagiarism (something I really have issues with)
1 decade ago

On all three points, you're wrong. All of these are considered "copyright infringement". (thus theft, according to the person that comment was directed to.)

1 decade ago

yes, but you asked if it was theft.

1 decade ago

Hey, I'd answered the comment you deleted. I was answering to the guy who said "copyright infringement is theft".

1 decade ago

yeah lost track

1 decade ago

I didn't even get the one I wanted.

1 decade ago

Exploit ? No.
Against their Terms of Service ? Very probably.

1 decade ago

It is an exploit as far as SG rules go. About any multi-account/proxy obtained key is.

1 decade ago

Well let me ask you this then: when farmer in the market propose you free apple so you can check if you like it you don't exactly grab whole crate and run away do you :P?

1 decade ago

When he propose free apple for you, it's ok. But when you get fake mustache to get second one, then you wear wig for third one, that's not ok.

1 decade ago

And at the point when someone decides to change their sex to get free friggin apple they should stop and just think about what you are doing with their life:D

1 decade ago

Because changing sex is as easy to do as using another email address ?

1 decade ago

It is according to Japan. Fall down in the wrong spot and you can swap genders with ease.

1 decade ago

I disguise myself as another person and go fetch a new apple :3

1 decade ago

You are an example of everything that's wrong with the humanity. Good job, sir. Please don't have children.

1 decade ago

Or maybe I just wish the system was different. As in, actual fair-share, and not patent wars.

1 decade ago

What does that have to do with apples?

1 decade ago

Apples are a metaphor.

1 decade ago

LOL! I believe you changed your apple variety along the conversation my friend. The patent wars only applies to rotten Apple, not tho the fresh market apples.

1 decade ago

Please tell me you're not naive enough to think that patent wars only exist in IT.

1 decade ago

you can activate clash of heroes on steam from ubistore?

1 decade ago

am i the only one who doesn't know about this offer?

1 decade ago

Yes. Google it.

1 decade ago

Ok found it, its a generic offer :D thansk btw

1 decade ago

Yes, even mods made threads about how you should not make these giveaways.

1 decade ago

so its fair game with "report" buttons?

1 decade ago

I've seen mods in the chat saying we should report all of these giveaways.

1 decade ago

im here 3 months and i've already seen so many people abusing contributor value thats just sad.

i guess having a chance to win free stuff from generous peoples isn't enough, u need to be a douchebag and cheat to slightly increase your chances...

IF I WOULD LIKE TO STEAL(like abusers do) GAMES I WOULD DO IT MYSELF

1 decade ago

Its not "1 code per person" its just "1 code per account" so its kind of ubisofts own fault...and no, I didnt abuse the code as I´ve only "bought" Far Cry 2 with it.

1 decade ago

Especially since Origin had done the exact same mistake a few weeks back. They never learn, do they :/ ?

1 decade ago

uh no its not the exact same mistake. origin let you buy multiple games on the one account (dont argue this point, you'll lose). exploiting ubi requires making a new account each time. EA made a silly mistake. the only silly mistake ubi has made is to offer a free game, and some of those games are steamable (and thus can be added to a single steam account)

1 decade ago

OH, well that changes everything. They didn't make a mistake then, they were just being generous. SUUUUURE.

1 decade ago

Just because that it's ok to abuse a promotion?

1 decade ago

From an AAA studio, who doesn't care about their customers (annoying DRM, unhelpful support, etc.) ? Yeah. If they were stupid enough to make the same mistake that EA did, they deserve it.

1 decade ago

Nobody forces you to buy Ubisoft games and if you don't like Ubisoft then don't care about promotions.

1 decade ago

I do care about getting free games from them. Especially if it makes them lose money.

1 decade ago

And that can be another reason for Ubisoft to care less about costumers and never make such promotions again.

1 decade ago

They shouldn't have done this promotion in the first place.
Caring less about customers : good, they'll get even less income then, and start reconsidering what they do.

1 decade ago

Consumers don't care about Ubisoft, why should then Ubisoft care about costumers? The promotion was to get new costumers. If the promotion never happened you wouldn't have got free games and still you hate Ubisoft. What would happen if Valve made such a promotion, would you abuse that too?

1 decade ago

cough Christmas coal and free Christmas games for achievements cough lots and lots of new Steam accounts created during that time by exploiting the 1-cent-HiB that gave Steam keys cough

1 decade ago

That wasn't the same like this or that from EA. You got here a free game (or more) under 10€, on Steam you had a chance to get games. I asked the question to XTBoris because I wanted to know if he would also abuse a promotion from a "nice" publisher.

1 decade ago

I would. Probably less though (as in, wouldn't have used a proxy like I did to abuse the price differences between countries).

1 decade ago

But then your argument that you stated about bad publishers is invalid when you even would abuse that when it's a good publisher.

1 decade ago

My argument is that no-one should feel bad about abusing Ubisoft because of that. It doesn't necessarily pertain to myself.

1 decade ago

Is there one account per person rule?

1 decade ago

Fuck Ubi.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

...and their region-restricted offers.

Nothing says "We hate our customers" better than locking the vast majority of them out of your special celebratory giveaways.

BUNCH OF ROCKET POLISHERS.

1 decade ago

This is why no-one should feel bad about abusing their promo.
(For the record, people should feel bad about abusing SG with the keys they got abusing the promo, though.)

1 decade ago

where can i sign up with multiple e-mail accounts? :))

1 decade ago

I couldn't get this to work even with a proxy (damn you again, Ubi), but implore everyone who is able to do so to take this corporation of shysters for all they are worth*.

Please grab an additional game or two for yourself or your friends on behalf of me, and all the others outside of the Eurozone who have found themselves on the wrong end of another Ubisoft single-fingered salute...

* without breaking any laws applicable in your country of residence, or contravening terms and conditions as set out in the EULA or on the Ubisoft website, obviously....

1 decade ago

*of course, of course. Who'd contravene the ToS or EULA ? No one would ever dare do that, especially since everyone reads them fully.

1 decade ago

I, for one, would not want to be seen promoting any sort of activity which would be detrimental to the business model of this fine and upstanding company.

1 decade ago

Well. I did check the sign up ToS (was curious =p). And I couldn't find anything against having multiple accounts.

1 decade ago

Astonishing :O

1 decade ago

Don't really see 2-3 copies as that bad. Maybe a friend gave them a steam key, you never know. But 3+ copies is surely not legit

1 decade ago

More than one copy isn't legit, technically.
Personally, as long as you don't try to abuse SG contributor values with the keys, or resell them, I'm all for grabbing all the keys you can.

1 decade ago

It's Ubisofts fault really, they are really not that stupid to not know that there will be people creating multiple accounts and grabbing the keys, therefore it's just up to SG administrators/mods to decide what they do with the abusers since it's their website

1 decade ago

Yup.

1 decade ago

honestly, i don't think it's such a big deal for them if 1000 different people get keys from them, or 100 people get 10 keys each and give them away...all that matters for them is that in the end, 1000 different users are playing the game they wanted and review it

but...seriously now...where can i sign up for a clash of heroes key? :D

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

I think it's bad because people ruin it for normal people that won't make like 10 emails and accounts just to get some free keys.

1 decade ago

Abusers don't stop "normal" people from getting their one free game.

1 decade ago

So why don't i get my key then? It's been "working on it" for like 3 hours now to give me one.

1 decade ago

Use another email address :3

1 decade ago

...and most "normal" people can't get a key anyway due to the region restrictions.

1 decade ago

While I think the exploitation of a deal is bad for everyone in the long run, I think Ubisoft was dumb to offer a promotion like this. In effect, the company deserves what is happening right now.

1 decade ago

Exactly my point.

1 decade ago

What sucks most is the region restriction which, rightly or wrongly, leaves the vast majority of the gaming world feeling dicked by Ubisoft (again).

For this reason, they deserve everything they get.

This is nothing like the Puppygames scenario which was a mean-spirited exploit of the goodwill of a great little company (although justice was done in the end, and the scammers got nothing other than a mass revocation of keys!)

This is one more ballbag move from a ballbag company being given the treatment it richly deserves, and good riddance.

1 decade ago

What's this about Puppygames ?

1 decade ago

yeah I got pretty mad about that one. stopped gifting here soon after that.

1 decade ago

Know what you mean. That was a real low point for Steamgifts.

1 decade ago

You still get far more us/canada promotions though like with origin. But yeah its just sucks.

1 decade ago

If I were living in the US or Canada, that would be marvellous news.

But I'm not.

1 decade ago

Didn't Raiden say:
"If we catch you aiding in such activities on sg you will be seeing a screen about a suspension for inappropriate behavior.

As far as the games that are steam redeemable from ubisoft's promotion we will carefully decide how to approach the matter."

1 decade ago

They did.

1 decade ago

Why there are no more RUSEs on ubisoft ? :(

1 decade ago

There are in Italy, but not in Germany or Spain. And it's more than 10€ in France. Good thing Ubishop doesn't know where I live and asks me "Austria, France, or Italy ?"

1 decade ago

Well, people are being suspended now

1 decade ago

CODE FROM US 10THANKS

1 decade ago

Either these giveaways shouldn't be allowed, or the contribution value of it should be lowered to 0. That should solve the issue.

1 decade ago

Or at least marked as bundle games.

1 decade ago

If someone from Europe makes a single giveaway, I'd say they're not breaking the rules. Someone could very be generous and take the game they're entitled to and give it away.

People who makes multiple giveaways are obviously abusing the system. If you get your brother/sister/parent/grandparent/alter ego to buy games for you to give away, yes it is abuse.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by nerka99.