[REMOVED]

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Boo to tax loopholes, but at the same time people from EU have to pay more anyway because to them 1US=1EUR, so I don't know how to feel.

9 years ago

We already pay a shitload of money in the most of the European Countries, as example in Germany, Hungary and so on. This is ridiculous. I guess for Europeans it's even better to buy from Japanese Traders as of January 1, 2015. Even the American Steam Store would be cheap for Europeans.

9 years ago

american steam store is already cheaper than eu steam. but it does not matter at all because of the new rule where every game is region locked when it is going from cheaper region to more expensive region

9 years ago

In germany you say ? How about poland ? We earn 1/4 what you earn at most and pay the same prices.

9 years ago

i guess they are just pissed off with all the neo nazis there

9 years ago

Germany? lol please, you guys have high wages.. all of south europe earns peanuts and vat is like 23-25% aside from all the other taxes, thank Merkel(who thinks she runs the joint), eu+ecb & IMF; and our own corrupt politicians.

9 years ago

High wages are funny. High wages in what business, aside from the >40% tax on income before VAT which is also 19%?

9 years ago

You don't think there is income tax in other countries? of course there is!
At least you have jobs and government benefits in different forms.

9 years ago

You seem to think we have milk and honey flowing around here, so I'll just let you think that.

9 years ago

I don't even...

9 years ago

It will probably be absorbed and the price won't budge. Games in retail (like console games) do that and prices are usually the same regardless of the country. Also, luxembourg sales tax is 15%.

Unless Valve wants to go fuller retard...

9 years ago

"but it does not matter at all because of the new rule where every game is region locked when it is going from cheaper region to more expensive region" - that's not true! I can still buy games from Japanese Traders and activate them.

9 years ago

TLDR: Valve have potentially been pretending to be paying 20-25% taxes for EU sales, while actually paying 3%

Read: Valve suck

not: OMG POLITICIANS EVIL

9 years ago

+1. Past justification for high prices just went out the window.

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

Luxembourg's VAT is 15%, so Valve has been paying 15% VAT not 3%. Info about Luxembourg's VAT rates.

9 years ago

Except Luxembourg is a city-state that needs all the economic activity it can get, so the government there offers special terms to big businesses. Read up on it, Luxembourg is the tax evasion haven for all the big digital companies. That's the whole reason this law is being made. Previously, due to the whole cooperation thing in the EU, companies registered in (and paying taxes to) any one country could freely do business in the entire union.

9 years ago

Yes, I'm aware of that. Valve isn't even on the list of the companies mentioned in the leaks AFAIK.

Your reply has no real relevance to my reply. Luckz stated that Valve has been paying 3% VAT, which wouldn't be the case because games don't have a reduced VAT rate. The VAT Valve has been paying is 15% unless they have evaded taxes, of which there doesn't seem to be any proof of.

9 years ago

income/profit tax != vat

9 years ago

Agreed

9 years ago

Well, gg wp everyone...valve & politicians. Im going back to torrents (if this happens)

9 years ago

This

9 years ago

this x2

9 years ago

this x3

9 years ago

C-C-C-Combo breaker! Also, this ^

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

Agreed.

9 years ago

+9000+1

9 years ago

Yar raise the sails!

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

indeed

9 years ago

+∞

9 years ago

Yup.

9 years ago

I'm already on torrent :D
But the problem is you can't play all the games on Multiplayer.

9 years ago

RIP TPB.

9 years ago

KaT is better anyway TPB is so early 2000ish

9 years ago

12 hours and the religious "YOU CRIMINAL SCUM"-force hasn't already raided your place?

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

he's already dead

9 years ago

Buy as much as you can from the Holiday Sale :D

9 years ago

+1 XD

9 years ago

-1. Prices are ridiculous anyway

9 years ago

+1.

9 years ago

EU1 includes? Or is that for the EU1 and EU2 regions?

9 years ago

Lol. EU is EU. It's not about stupid Valve regions.

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

9 years ago

Yup, too late. Whatever. MOAR THREADS, PLS!

9 years ago

I dont think steam will make different price each country in eu. This would be a lot work and they would have to regionlock each country cause the trading thing would start all over again.
Steam will do an average vat for EU so all eu players have same price and dont see different vat. Only steam and they pay it than.
would be best to do it this way.

So country with high vat could be cheaper and low vat pay more.

we will see
and at the end steam need only to make the steam shop in luxemburg + a buyshop in luxemburg and than sent the money to the buyshop and this buyshop sent the game as a gift^^. So nothing would change

9 years ago

We ALREADY pay more because of the 1$=1€ change it has, and at D1 we have the same price as it would have a retail game in our stores (not counting eventual limited discount like -10% on preorder) where the local tax is already accounted: ie in many Store pc games at D1 are 49.99€ (tax included) here, while on Steam is usally the same 49.99.

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

From Hungary: The highest tax on the world (27%). We have to pay in Euro but we have Hungarian Forint, 1 Hungarian Forint = 0,0032 Euro (today) . Our monthly net average wage is 503 Euro (2014-09). Same number in the USA: 3000 Euro(2012), Germany: 2054 Euro(2013-Q2), UK: 2597 Euro(2013-04). Sad to say it but we belong more in the Russia region Russia: 382 Euro(2014-11), Kazakhstan 441 Euro(2014-11).

If the prizes will be in Euro + 27% tax, that will be impossible to buy something on Steam. In the past i used torrent to play a game, now i have payed all my games, but in the future... :(( . Please, we need an own region, with low prizes, in Hungarian Forint.

9 years ago

I must agree on that!

9 years ago

Yup and Hungary has one of the highest piracy rate in the world lol and it's just going to get worse. Thank god I moved to the UK where I can actually afford stuff.

9 years ago

Sad but true.

9 years ago

Living in Czech Republic, which is only slightly less fucked up than Hungary, I agree.

Games are already insanely expensive; one can't really blame those who pirate games these days. It's perfectly understandable.

9 years ago

while it may suck that is the way things are

still i do not understand this whole thing about,if i can not afford it steal it thing??

good thing you do not need a tv,your neighbor would be missing his

if you can not afford to game,no matte the reason then do not be gaming,stealing it is not the answer though you are free to do as you wish

9 years ago

+

9 years ago

-

9 years ago

Stealing something and pirating a software isn't really the same.
That argument ("would you steal a car/TV/whatever too?") is actualy utterly lame if you really put some thoughts into it ;)

But whoever puts thoughts into an internet discussion, right?

9 years ago

So true. EU2 should have russian prices.

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

I was wondering when will I see a hungarian tax comment. I was thinking the same, we will be hit hard by this tax.

I have exactly the same problem as you, I've been pirating games since I was 12, but since last year I've been paying for all the games on Steam, but it's already too expensive without the russians and I'm afraid I will go back to pirating games. The best site right now is Nuuvem, but I don't know if it will last, since there are region locked keys and I think there will only be more.

9 years ago

Not just the tax is the problem, it is just the "out of the line". Yes, the prizes are now allready too high.

9 years ago

you know you can live without games, right ? if you need to justify stealing, find a better way

9 years ago

I can live without women, but without games i can't. :) What kind of gamer are you?

9 years ago

Hey i pay EU 1 prices and i correcly live in macedonia who isn't even in EU or is rich as the other countries in the same cathegory.

9 years ago

Yeah it sucks, you guys in FYROM should be charged lower like Russia.

9 years ago

yeah tell me about it.I buy games only on sale and usually older games that my pc can run.But not more it seems because their financial advicers don't know shit.

9 years ago

Pretty much the same situation here in Bulgaria. 20% VAT, even lower average wage, charged in Euros online despite not having € as national currency. Almost everyone pirates almost everything.

9 years ago

now if u check on the average wage in Bulgaria u will get mindblown by how more fucked we are here :D

9 years ago

That's the problem with trying to have a wide-ranged union of nations without caring about the requirements. Countries are getting in that simply won't do much better just to get the benefits "for the union". Pretty much like the US free trade agreements.

9 years ago

Use steamtrades. You can get most games a lot cheaper than on steam sales. Full prizes are ridiculously high, noone buys them. Even a DVD version from a store in Hungary is like 70% of the steam prize.

9 years ago

How do you want to use SteamTrades? The only region, which we are allowed to trade with, is USA.

9 years ago

What do you mean by that? I traded with non USA people in the past.

9 years ago

Physical copies are already much cheaper.
Witcher 3: 50€ - 40€,
Far Cry 4: 60€ - 37€ (Limited edition),
Assassin’s Creed Unity: 60€ - 37€,
Borderlands: The pre-sequel: 41,49€ (withs holiday sale) - 37€,

9 years ago

Yeah, I pre-ordered The Evil Within Limited Edition for 10 000 HUF (31 EUR), Borderlands The Pre-Sequel 9 000 HUF (28 EUR) in retail. Since I'm using Steam, I stopped pirating, but if things go on like this, I will surely won't buy games anymore, and I won't care about developers. BTW a PS 4 game is like 18 000 HUF (almost 60 EUROS(!!!!)), how many would be it's price, after this stupid thing?

9 years ago

Same itt. Eddig g2a-n meg tudtam venni mindent jó áron, de most, hogy jön a region lock...
Egyedül az Ea-t "sajnálom". Olyan a cég amilyen, de kb ők az egyedüli kiadók, akik veszik a fáradtságot, hogy magyarra is fordítsák a játékaikat.

9 years ago

I find it hard to be critical of people who pirate with bullshit laws like these in place. Taxing data is fucking asinine.

9 years ago

Agreed.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

9 years ago

YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ye sKaLlywAgs.

9 years ago

Ye be right matey

9 years ago

Indeed

9 years ago

you do have a choice,and that is not stealing and not playing games you can not afford to buy

i can not afford to buy every game i have,that is why i have a steam wish list plus there still countless other games i would like

i can not afford a better pc,so i do not go and pirate the parts i need for a better one or blame intel or amd or the government because i can not,i just try and do what i can to have what i want

no matter how you try to spin the web,in the end it is a web

piracy is stealing,people who think it is not stealing because your not taking an actual physical product just use that to justify the action

9 years ago

No matter how much you proclaim it to be stealing, it still ain't stealing. Sorry.

9 years ago

downloading a "pirated" game != lost profit

9 years ago

Guess I'll go back to buying retail copies.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

9 years ago

Same percentage, yes. But it does make difference with lower base price.

9 years ago

It might be cheaper online if they take into account costs of making a disc, packaging and postage. However if it's the same I'd pick a physical copy any day.

9 years ago

Yeah, in countries that aren't using € but do so on steam, retail prices are a lot cheaper than base steam prices despite there being more effort put into making a physical copy.

9 years ago

Szerencsére engem nem érint életbe ha 5 játékot vettem steam-en a többi innen onnan traderektől van / más kulcsos site-okról stb.
Meg ez is olyan netadó stájl már rögtön mindenki sír.

9 years ago

Ez nem csak a Steam-et érinti, bármi amit külföldön veszel drágább lehet emiatt, kíváncsi vagyok hogy pl. eBay drágább lesz-e rendelni.

9 years ago

Mivel az olcsóbb régiókban az összes játék régiózáras lett már nem nagyon fogsz tudni tradeből olcsóbb játékokat venni, szóval ezáltal téged is érint valamilyen szinten.

9 years ago

oszlo oszlo

9 years ago

again this misleading mix of company tax vs vat it´s not 3% vs 25% it´s 15% vs 25%...or 18/19 whatever %

9 years ago

i cant understand something about this "more tax=>higher prices"thing ...

let me get it straight if valve has to pay more taxes why customers should be responsible for valve`s less profit i mean if the ones who pay taxes are gonna be customers whats the point of this tax thing at all if customers paying it not valve ???

9 years ago

Because VAT is tax for consumers, collected by Valve on behalf of governments?

Also companies are to operate to make profit for owners, not for customers...

9 years ago

Still disgusting that companies find ways to dodge taxes like this, then pocket what is essentially our money intended for the benefit of the state. I wouldn't worry about all this though. The market will find balance on its own, or be forced to find balance by the state. It's bullshit that companies have more responsibility to their greedy owners than their customers - without customers, there is no company, but a company can very much exist without selfish owners (for example, co-operatives and state-run enterprises). Sure, the closing of these tax loopholes is gonna cut into Valve's income a tiny bit - but when they're already raking in the millions, that is zero justification for raising prices for the consumer by even a penny.

9 years ago

Back to buying retail I guess.
Its already cheaper often, and many retail games register on Steam as well

9 years ago

Living in a EU country with one of the shittiest economics, I'll probably go back to downloading games from torrents as well.
So far, I could afford to buy cheap games during the Steam sales, so I'll have to wait and see how much that changes.

9 years ago

I think EU2 shouldn't feel bad about getting games in a different way. We have ridiculous prices, the trading was the only way to get a fair deal. Now we're screwed and maybe they will increase prices even more. That's not funny.

9 years ago

Buy games via SteamTrades for keys, it's much cheaper than any Steam Sale or even cheaper than G2A/Kinguin.

9 years ago

The new region lock might be in the way tho.

9 years ago

No problem they can rise taxes to maximum, "torrent edition" not canceled at the time.

9 years ago

This is as it should be. A level playing field.

Why should Steam avoid the taxes that everyone else has to pay when selling products in these countries?

9 years ago

So games now will cost 1/3 of the monthly salary? Ubisoft games are 90 euros already.
But i think higher prices helps people to save money because they're not buying the games anymore and are getting it for free.

9 years ago

As result of this and few other things, I doubt we will see increase. (ie. publishers will 'lower' prices, so final price stays about the same)

9 years ago

Ubisoft games, 90 euros? WTF, where?

9 years ago

Steam. It's Gold edition thought, with all DLC.

9 years ago

Go to steam. Full game is 90 euros.

9 years ago

The EU way = Constantly brainstorming new ways to tax the people to within an inch of thier lives. Now it's your Videogames. It's either time to revolt against taxation without representation which you guys aren't allowed to do, or simply vote with your feet and partake in a little bit of "Capital Flight". If you're saving here and there, rest assured the EU will sniff it out and tax it away. Time to reassess the "Value" of living in these high tax countries, because your EU Governments are too fat and too expensive presently.
Perhaps crashing the party at Eduardo Saverin's house for awhile till all this taxation madness blows over would be a consideration for you poor souls in the EU.

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

Romania here.

VAT is 24% here. So this means games will cost 60 euros + 24%? That's ~75 euros. As if it wasn't enough that publishers used 1 to 1 dollar-euro conversion rate. :|

Not sure how to avoid this. All non EU stores are blocked here, except maybe Nuuvem and Amazon but games there are mostly region locked.
For UPlay and Origin games I'll go for retail since it's way cheaper than on any digital platform. I'm curious how GOG will react to this.

Steam games will be a problem. Not many Steam games go retail. Not to mention that Valve made gifting region locked :|

So most likely everybody will go back to trackers.

9 years ago

No. There's already 15% VAT, so assuming worst 64.70€-ish.

9 years ago

Oh, I see. Thanks for the heads up.
I just hope the publishers won't take advantage of this.

9 years ago

The real issue so far was the fact that Europe turned a blind eye to tax heavens within its borders, like Luxenbourg. If Valve payed what it really owed (ie proper taxes in Luxembourg) there would be no problem. Instead, they entered into an agreement which allowed them to skip paying most of their taxes throughout the continent.

This new legislation should not mark any difference in prices, because Valve was only taxed a token amount until now, yet sold its products at the same price as its competitors, making record profits. Ideally, prices should remain at the same level and some of the money may finally trickle into the coffers of some countries other than Luxembourg.

If Valve's bottom line takes a hit in the process, I can live with it. If they raise prices in response, I only hope that other online stores won't follow suit...

9 years ago

Exactly.

9 years ago

someone with sense here. and if prices will go up as a consequence so be it, I'll just buy less and I can live with it. altogether, we'll all benefit from the change anyway by retaining our taxes in the countries where we live, rather than paying some Luxembourg banker for a new Barbados mansion and more bad taste parties

9 years ago

+1 This! It was about time they woke up on this! Companies paying taxes to luxenburg and ireland for profit coming from other countries. You know what, I can live without steam, amazon, google, ebay ecc...

9 years ago

7 solutions for me who live in the EU:

• Gaben won't get any money from me in 2015
  • Proxy undetectable (the only obstacle to that until now was the time it needs to be settled. +20% make it worth the time)
  • Local game stores
  • Quit gaming
  • Start playing all the games i have gathered so far and never even installed them
  • Share library with friends from other region so that i can access everything
  • The obvious way
9 years ago

1. yes possbile solution
  2. not a good solution,if we talk about using steam via a servicec and not only one time activation... a necessary at least- semi-professional vpn-service would still have many cons (pings, bandwith) and or would cost more than paying some € more for a game
  3. possible
  4. always possible
  5. good advise
  6. to force the next region blocking
  7. begging @ steamgifts?
9 years ago

1. It's already established to a place where i have access 5 days a week. I simply talk to the appropriate person, get his assistance on it and after a few hours i am done. The cost would be a meal or a beer.
  2. I don't care.
  3. There is a much more obvious way
9 years ago

1. torrents/piracy.
9 years ago

Switch to console.

Come at me fanboys

9 years ago

yes zork is great

9 years ago

Sure. Laggy 30FPS, payed MP, no backward compactability and 1/4 of price of any game as fee for Sony/MS. :D LOL

9 years ago

I dont care rly I just want cheaper games + big factor for me is that my hardware is becoming very old so I would have to do at least 500$ upgrade on my pc and thats big downside for me.

9 years ago

Switch to a console on which games cost like 20-30% more than on steam seems like a great way to avoid that 20% price increase on steam.

9 years ago

And ability to sell your $50 for $45 if you decide you hate them, as opposed to waiting 2 years to be able to check if you'll like that game when it finally drops to $5, thanks to Steam, even if you buy retail.

9 years ago

Yep all of my friends that own consoles dose that. Just trade them / sell them. Funny thing games only lose like 10$ - 20$ value if you are selling them at least its like that here.

9 years ago

NEVER!

9 years ago

We already pay more. Valve thinks $=€ and we overpay cca 30% more than weaker dollar.

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

This is completely true. We're already paying our damn tax and its between 20% to 25%, depending on euro vs dollar.

9 years ago

Only ~20% because dollar is very strong now :(

9 years ago

Closed 8 years ago by Credipede.