This is in progress, and will be edited often.
Hi there! Welcome to the SteamGifts community. We're glad you're here, and even more glad that you took an interest in the FAQ! There's been a lot of confusion and debate as to rules, ethics, behavior, etc., so here is a handy write up for everyone.
Sections for policies are in this order: Base Rules, Giveaways, Site Etiquette, Keys Considered Exploited, Policy on Bundles, Contributor Giveaways, Site and Points FAQ, and Tutorials.
New to SteamGifts?
The New Gifter's Guide to Gifting - credit goes to cfriend
Formatting FAQ - How to edit text your comments in the community - me
SteamGifts Site Addon, Steam Menu Mod, and iPhone/Android App - credit goes to Kennyist, ronzano, and Zo
Will it activate on Steam? - credit goes to AJValentine
NEW Support Categories
Please note that our staff will never message you to beg for a gift, to encourage you to click on referral links, to ask about Steam account details, or to threaten your Steam account. Please report any impersonators.
Deutsche FAQ / German FAQ - Credit goes to addicTT
Serbian FAQ - Credit goes to NB264
Danish FAQ - Credit goes to TheMiMicKitteH
Klicka här för svenska - Credit goes to TheNozzle
FAQ pour utilisateurs francophones - Credit goes to DereckShiller
Perguntas frequentes (FAQ) em português - Credit goes to LuckyBoy
Текст на русском языке доступен здесь - Credit goes to DimazzzZ
Para español, haga clic aquí - Credit goes to emiih
Jezyk polski: kliknij tutaj - Credit goes to uvi
A Update on points
Official CG Announcements - with thanks to tragikos for keeping this updated.
- Please submit any support requests in the Support Forum. The forum is not used to receive support from the mods or admin.
- Don't enter for games you already own.
- Do not ask for any sort of payment/exchange in order to enter a giveaway. This applies to group rules as well.
- Do not link to any referral programs.
- Don't trade, sell, resubmit, or give away games you win.
- Do not link or distribute private giveaway URL's unless expressly asked to do so by the giveaway's creator.
- Winnings must be redeemed on the winning account.
- Begging in the community will not be tolerated.
- Only one SG account allowed per person. Please do not share accounts.
- Try to be active in the forum/chat.
- Do not call out submitters in giveaways. Please click the report button or submit a ticket, do not comment on the giveaway claiming the giveaway to be fake.
- Please avoid using NSFW or offensive avatars. Avatars are not synced with the "Sync" feature of SteamGifts, it happens automatically.
- The submitter and winner(s) of the giveaway have seven (7) days to complete the gifting process. This includes the activation of the gift on the Steam account of the winner.
- Please note you cannot gift games from your Steam library. They are permanently attached to your account and not giftable.
- Do not misrepresent the title being given away.
- Extraneous/special rules for giveaways require moderator approval. Public giveaways cannot have any special rules. Would you like to know more?
- Please do not offer trades in the description of your giveaways.
- All games must be Steam-redeemable.
- Do not submit what we consider exploited CD-keys without proof of purchase. These are listed below.
- Do not submit CD-keys that have regional restrictions, or those that require VPN activation or methods to bypass regional restrictions.
- Do not submit guest passes, coupons, beta keys, or in-game items from games such as Team Fortress 2.
- Do not submit Steam or online game accounts (EVE, RIFT, etc).
- Do not submit coupons or special Steam items, such as coal.
- Only enter for DLC if you have the required base game.
- You must redeem the game on the account you entered with, and may not trade it to others.
Chat Room, Forum, and Site Etiquette:
- The chat room or forum is NOT used for trading items/games. For your trades, visit SteamTrades.
- Please avoid creating topics for political discussion.
- Do not link to any referral programs.
- Puzzles: Do not leak, post answers, suggest hints, or directly link to the prize/giveaway.
- If you would like to include some self-promotion in the chat or forum, please run it by a mod first.
- Be considerate of all users at all times related to the site/chat, etc.
- Do not beg or offer to trade in chat or forum. Do not beg for games in chat/forum or PM SG members from chat for games.
- Always thank submitters. Thanking is not required to enter a giveaway.
- Please do not call out users in the forum or chat. Submit a ticket in the Support Forum.
- Please limit the amount of NSFW links in the forum and chat, and always warn when you do link to NSFW material.
Keys Considered Exploited:
- Dead Island
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Homefront Shotgun DLC
- AI War
- Supreme Commander / Forged Alliance
- Portal 2
- DiRT 3
- Puppy Games Keys
- Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 (Region Locked)
- Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Multiplayer
- Eets (in certain amounts)
- World of Goo
- Puzzle Agent
- Risen 2: Dark Waters - Air Temple DLC
IGN Prime Keys
- Members may submit these keys as giveaways only in small amounts. Excessive numbers of identical IGN Prime keys will be seen as exploiting IGN and will lead to a suspension.
The option to create contributor giveaways is now available to everyone. Head over to the create a giveaway page, and you'll see a new input box for contributor only. Simply enter an amount, and only users that have successfully sent that value or greater to other users in the community will be able to enter. The maximum amount you can enter is twice your own contributions.
For example, if you have contributed $25.00, you can create contributor giveaways between $0.01 - $50.00. The option is disabled for users that have not contributed in the past. This option can be combined with both private and group giveaways as well. Keep in mind, group giveaways look at contributions in general, not for that particular group only.
Next, the display of giveaways has slightly changed. For example, take a look at lokonopa's profile. Contributor giveaways list the amount necessary on the right side. It'll be displayed in green if you can enter, or red if you cannot. Also, group and private giveaways are coloured. Once again, take another look at lokonopa's profile, this time, the won page. You can easily see private and group giveaways highlighted. These same display options are used on the homepage and general giveaway listings.
Formatting FAQ - Written by lokonopa
Are you affiliated with Steam?
- No! We are a collective of avid gamers who enjoy Valve's incredible digital distribution service.
Will I get in trouble using this or is this against Steam's TOS?
- As of now, we have yet to hear of a single issue with the thousands of gifts given away from the community. If any concerns were to arise, we would be more than happy to reach out to Valve, and do our best to address these issues, helping them understand the winners have no connections with the users providing the games. Overall, we're simply helping people find a way to share their extra copies, and SteamGifts is not setup to dodge country restrictions or pricing in anyway. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to get game publishers or even Valve involved.
When are you getting rid of the invites?
- Site registration is now open and invites are no longer in place as of November 9th, 2011.
What's with these points?
The point system is designed to prevent users from entering for every single giveaway. This lowers the overall number of entries, and provides everyone with better odds of winning games they're interested in playing. New users start out with 25P. Every time anyone submits a game, every member of the site, excluding the giveaway creator, receives 5 percent of that gifts value (in USD) in points. For example, if a $50 gift is created, every user on the site receives 2.5 points. And, if a $20 gift is created, everyone would receive 1 point. These points can then be spent on entering giveaways.
1P = $1 - When entering a giveaway, 1P is equal to $1. If you're entering for a chance to win a game valued at $20, you'll spend 20 points. If at anytime you decide to remove your entry while the giveaway is open, those points will be returned.
The maximum number of points that can be banked is 300. This is to prevent users from stocking up on points while being away for long periods of time.
How are the winners chosen?
- The winners are randomly selected.
Do I get my points back when the giveaway is over?
- No, points are spent on the opportunity to win, and not returned after the giveaway closes.
Does SteamGifts somehow supply me with the game(s)?
- SteamGifts itself does not gift any games directly. Only the submitter of a giveaway that created the giveaway is responsible for sending out the gift(s). When creating a giveway, you agree that you have an available copy of the gift(s). You cannot gift games from your library as they are permanently attached to your Steam account upon activation.
Can I win a game for someone else I know?
- Members may only enter for their own account for games they do not already own.
I haven't won anything, and this other person has won a bunch. What gives?
- Winners are selected at random from the database the moment a giveaway closes. The past history of a member has no affect on their chances of winning, and everyone always has an equal opportunity of being selected.
How can I increase my odds of winning or acquire more points faster?
- There are no ways to increase your odds of winning, you have the same chances of winning as everyone else. Points, as explained in the "points" portion of the FAQ, only increase when a public giveaway is submitted. Group and private giveaways currently do not distribute points.
What type of security is in place to protect my Steam information?
SteamGifts and SteamGameSales take advantage of the Steam OpenID platform. When you choose to login, you're forwarded over to the official Steam site, where they authenticate your information as usual. If you successfully login, they pass across your 64bit Steam ID, which is public information (ex: 76561198020696458). Although our sites are extremely secure, if the database was ever hacked, and all the information compromised, you would still be safe, because the only information we know or save is public data.
Our sites have been verified on the official Steam forums by moderators multiple times, we have tens of thousands of members, and sites such as SteamGameSales are stickied and recommended on their forums for tracking sales and price reductions.
What are the base requirements to join the site?
- We require all registered users to have at least $100.00 worth of games associated with their Steam account. This is to prevent users from creating multiple Steam accounts for use on this site, which might result in cheating. This value is automatically generated when you register, using the game list from your Steam profile.
How will I know I've won?
A green banner with a winning message will appear on each page of SteamGifts.com while you are logged in on your account. Clicking on the link in the green banner will redirect you to the winning giveaway. SteamGifts.com does not currently notify the winners of giveaways in any other fashion.
I won a giveaway, but haven't received the gift.
- The giveaway creator has 1 week to email it before you can mark the gift as "Not received". If it's been more than 24 hours since the giveaway ended try and add the giveaway host to Steam and remind them to send the gift.
I've changed my avatar on Steam, but SteamGifts is still my old one?
- This is an automated process and can take up to eight hours for SteamGifts to update with your avatar. Syncing your account does not affect this process.
I created and completed a giveaway and the winner has marked it as recieved, but my contributor value isn't rising. Is there something wrong?
- No, absolutely not. There're three reasons this might be happening. The first is simply solved by waiting. There is a delay of up to twenty minutes before your value changes and it will update shortly. The second is that single entry giveaways do not count towards your contribution value. Because they only got one entry, they are not considered as a raffle, but rather a direct gift. The other is due to having too many bundle games given away. Your contributor value will be locked until you submit further giveaways that are not from bundles and will continue to rise gradually until the full value has been reached. For more information on how values are calculated when bundle games are involved, please check this thread.
The feedback system is setup to ensure users maintain a minimum of roughly 75% received on their gifts sent. Three is added to this number to give new users room to get started. For example...
A user has 35 received, 10 not received (78%). They would be limited to a total of 12 not received before dropping below 75%, plus the 3 given to all users, so 15 in total. Since they already have 10 not received, they could post 5 additional gifts.
Another user has 10 received, 0 not received (100%). They're able to post 3 not received gifts before reaching 75%. Once again, add the 3 to this number, and they can list 6 additional gifts.
You're now able to limit your giveaway to a particular Steam group. When creating a giveaway, select the Steam Group option, along with one of your groups. If you don't see your group on the page, you might need to sync your account. They offer a few major benefits...
- You can safely share the link in chat rooms and on forums, without worrying about non-group members joining.
- It's not necessary to share the link. The giveaway will automatically appear on the site, profiles, search, etc, for member in the group (thanks for the suggestion tragikos).
- As the site grows, group giveaways offer more exclusivity and thus, improved odds of winning. If you're a member of our offical group, or any other group that uses the site, you'll see these new giveaways appearing in the list, and they'll have much fewer entries than the others.
The other feature of creating of a giveaway is the choice of making your giveaway private. When made private, you will be given a unique URL after creating the giveaway. You can share this link as you please, but please be aware anyone with this link would be able to enter your private giveaway. Unlike Group giveaways, Private giveaways do not appear on the on the main page. They are visible only on profiles, where they are unclickable. The URL to share your private giveaway will be available in Manage.
When you create a giveaway, you'll see an input box for contributor only. Simply enter an amount, and only users that have successfully sent that value or greater to other users in the community will be able to enter. The maximum amount you can enter is twice your own contributions. For example, if you have contributed $25.00, you can create contributor giveaways between $0.01 - $50.00. The option is disabled for users that have not contributed in the past. This option can be combined with all types of giveaways (public, private or group). Keep in mind, group giveaways look at contributions in general, not for that particular group only.
The display of contributor giveaways is slightly different. Contributor giveaways list the amount necessary on the right side. It will be displayed in green if you can enter, or red if you cannot. Also, group and private giveaways are colored, blue for private, green for group, so you can easily see private and group giveaways at a glance. These same display options are used on the homepage and general giveaway listings.