Ho, ho, ho...

The Christmas time is getting closer so it is time again to sign up for Reddit Secret Santa!

The idea is to create an international secret santa, with people exchanging gifts world wide... Last year I was to late and missed my chance to join, but I heard great things. Just have a look at the gallery of gifts that have been exchanged in the years before.

I thought I'd put it here 'cause making strangers happy by giving away stuff seems to fit in here pretty well :-D

For some reason they gave me a referral link, even though I'm not aware of anythings I would get from you using it. Kinda curious to find out, but fret not, I removed the personalized part from the posted links so they are acceptable on SG :)

EDIT: I see i should have put more information about this, like What does secret santa mean? and What if I think people could not figure out what I like from my online footprint... Well, those questions are answered in the first few comments not, just have a look.

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I like it, i'll participate :D

9 years ago

Hmm, gotta to consider that...
Ok, I have to ask a question. The Secret Santa picks a gift for you based on your activity on Reddit. What if someone doesn't have account on Reddit, or he doesn't write much on there?

9 years ago

My reddit profile is empty as well, but you get this nifty page that asks you a lot of things about yourself:

• Likes / Dislikes
  • What size shirt do you wear?
  • What is your favorite color?
  • What are your favorite subreddits?
  • What are your favorite movies?
  • What are your favorite TV shows?
  • Do you have any allergies?
  • Do you own any pets? If so, tell us something awesome about them!
  • If you could travel somewhere right now, where would you go?
  • What are your favorite books and/or authors?
  • What are your hobbies?
  • It's 11AM on a Sunday, what are you doing?
  • What is on your bucket list?
  • If you could learn one skill, what would you learn?
  • What are you most passionate about?
  • What is your favorite food?

When you sign up you only get asked the first one, the others only pop up when you go to edit, so I only saw that first and just wrote a text about myself there...

9 years ago

Love the idea, already signed up. Can't wait to see who'll get a present from me. :3

9 years ago

I'll be paired with you :3

9 years ago

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

9 years ago

And how exactly do you get this nifty page?
I tried to edit my profile and i can't see anything like it xD

9 years ago

You have to go to "manage exchanges, there you click on "Secret Santa 2014" and then there is "Update Likes / Dislikes"... Isn't it obvious? ;-)

9 years ago

How does this exactly work?

9 years ago

If we assume you participated in some secret santa exchange at work or in few Steam groups, you should know the basic premise of it by now. Except this is on a larger scale. Basically everyone sign up with their details and then after some while you will be assigned to send a themed gift (depending on the exchange) to someone will get your name as well.

I would say it is quite fun receiving a token of appreciation from some stranger across the world. It might suck if you get paired to send a gift to someone in Australia but it's not like it will cost you 1000$ for postage or anything (that's the only downside i could think of right now)

I participated so far in Book exchange, T-Shirt exchange, Coffee and Tea exchange, Holiday Greeting Card exchange, Halloween exchange, Secret Santa 2011/2012/2013 and it's always been a thrill

EDIT

I might as well post some goodies i received so far to brag about (again, for every thing i received as a present i also sent something to someone as well so that is hardly a place to get something without giving nothing in return)
1 - this was from Arbitrary Day 2014 exchange
2 - Secret Santa 2013
3 - Arbitrary Day 2013
4 - don't have my own pic for this, but this is a kick-ass Pyramid Head shirt i got in T-Shirt exchange once
5 - Batman encyclopedia from Book exchange
6 - another T-Shirt
7 - bunch of Fantasy themed book and a Discworld map and lastly
8 - two coffee mugs and a George Orwell book from Coffee and Tea mugs exchange

9 years ago

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. Might as well give it a try since it's my first time ever seeing a "Secret Santa" thing.

9 years ago

Thanks for this great answer. The only thing I have to add is a wikipedia link and the fact that it might be known under different names in other countries. For instance we call it "wichteln" over here...

9 years ago

Can we send our bodies as a gift?

9 years ago

Hm, you might run into the "Can I deliver my gift by hand and not bother shipping it?" clause... Not sure how to count it if you ship yourself...

But then again, it just says you have to clear it with the receiver first... :-D

9 years ago

Wow, man a question, how do you know or keep updated of these events?

9 years ago

There is usually some sort of notification on reddit in sidebar whenever new exchange is about to take place, also it is a good idea to subscribe to reddit and/or redditgifts Facebook pages to keep track of them and i believe you get e-mail notifications later after you signed up or completed your first exchange so it would be quite difficult at that point to miss out on any. The most common ones would be Secret Santa and Arbitrary Day

9 years ago

Thanks mate, much appreciation for all the info!

9 years ago

What's stopping people from acting like jerks and just sending photocopied posters or something? I seriously doubt people are actually so generous they're giving aways tablets, HD TVs and whole gaming computers.

9 years ago

In part you are right,but at the same time no.

I think some people actually sent these gifts but of course is not like every single person is sending a Tv,a tablet,etc.BUT is a possibility that you maybe the lucky one to received these.So...depends on you and your luck.
It is just to believe,is not going to kill you,right? So,just do it if you want to :D

9 years ago

Well it's like Steam gifts, sometimes someone creates giveaways for new and expensive games(not fakes).

9 years ago

This looks so AWESOME.. both the giving and receiving

9 years ago

Sounds like a great idea, maybe I'll participate in the future.

9 years ago

Hmm seems fun. Might consider joining this for the experience.

9 years ago

Yeah, its my first time too for ss. I participated in halloween event but didnt get any gift so I hope I get rematched for that. Also on this year I tried to time my signup but just missed my goal coz I was playing dota2 and became the 100,101th person to sign up. If I would have been 100000 the free elf membership
Sigh.

9 years ago

Yeap...i signed up a few days ago xD
I'm really excited about this.

9 years ago

Im gonna be paired with you, and gonna send you a kawaii potato

9 years ago

Gubzil I want kawaii potato too. ;3;

9 years ago

This actually does look intriguing. Will look into that, thank you!

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

9 years ago

It's maybe a dumb question!
If i sign in do other people know where i live?

9 years ago

Nope... Well, the one person that is randomly chosen to be your santa will be given the address and person info you chose to enter on the site, but it is not given to everyone :)

9 years ago

No thanks. Gave a gift last year and didn't receive one back, didn't even get rematched and got ignored/downvoted when I asked about it. The whole gifts part of reddit has become too commercialized, like AMAs.

9 years ago

Sadly, I can't take part of this one. I have my own reasons. But I'll try to give some gifts to my Steam friends :)

Gets over 9000 friend requests on Steam.
9 years ago

Just signed up!

9 years ago

signed up too :) *sings i'm so excited, i just can't hide it...

9 years ago

Nah. I don't need ppl to gift me dildos, I can buy them myself.

9 years ago

Duck shaped dildio...

Dolan, You always know how to make me wet :3
9 years ago

Get a room ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

9 years ago

I don't want to go to the room with that perv.

9 years ago

Says who?

9 years ago

I don't want to get to a room with a person that isn't even 18

9 years ago

WORLDWIDE
region locks, dont forget about them.

9 years ago

sad for the pp that are on the moon D:

9 years ago

If I had money and it wasn't too complicated to send/receive things from other countries I'd like to be a part of this event, sadly it's too hard for me at the moment :/

9 years ago

thats not an excuse i live in a poor country and i already sign. there's always a way and dont forget sometimes a man garbage can be others treasure.

9 years ago

I'm sorry but that is a valid "excuse". Remember that things which are cheap for some people may be expensive for others.

9 years ago

why should anybody need an excuse to not take part?

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 weeks ago.

9 years ago

I prefer the Christmas event I take part in on GameFAQs. Been in it for three years now, looking forward to the fourth year of giving games to people.

9 years ago

I just got my secret santa gift all the way from Land of the Free, i love it

Also i found store link if anyone is interested

9 years ago

That took ages.

9 years ago

Mine is not here yet... BUT while my original secret santa did not send anything, my replacement santa was really nice and sent messages along the way and it should be en route since last wednesday...

9 years ago

How do they do this replacement thingy? Shouldn't your replacement have sent something already to someone else before the time limit was reached?

9 years ago

You can volunteer to be a rematch santa, i.e. say you can afford to send gifts to X more people...

9 years ago

Well this was depressing. Both my original secret santa and then rematch never sent me anything. I hope that at least my giftee is happy.

9 years ago

Sadly it seems like there are still 20,000 gifts not marked shipped :-( Some people might just not have marked it probably, but this still seems like a terrible statistic...

I guess that stories about extra great gifts kinda drown out the news about the crappy/none-existig gifts :-/

9 years ago

I guess it takes a special kind of luck to get into that small group of people. I'm that awesome.

9 years ago

2 packages marked as shipped but nothing recieved untill today..i'm still waiting untill friday and them mark it as not recieved :(

9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago by SilentGuy.