Sorry to make yet another "which card should I pick" thread but I've gotten really good advice from you guys in the past, so I'm asking again.

Good steamgifters, my old GTX 285 croacked for the second time ( doing this ) (After baking it back to life once 6 months ago)
means I really do need to get a new card.

Basicly I'm torn between GTX 760 and GTX 770 mostly.

1. 760 $250 , 770 $350.
  2. 770 should roughly be 20% better? plus it can handle the high end graphic filters better.
  3. However, 760 has better price / performance grade.

As for my budget - both are kinda stretching it a little, however I only buy a GPU every 3-4 years or so.

Which one from this list would you recommend?

I was kind of narrowing it to these but would gladly consider more options.

What do you think?

Also, I need to replace my RAM since its fairly slow.
This is my motherboard.
Which memory would you recommend for gaming?

Also here are two cookies for helping me out

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

every 4-6 years ? get 770

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Get 770. 760 is basically a 680

1 decade ago

Wrong. GTX 770 is remade gtx 680. Their difference in gaming performance isn't significant, only 1 fps difference in average.

1 decade ago

the 760 is a remade 680 with two clusters disabled

1 decade ago

A 760 is a bit slower than the 670

1 decade ago

Good joke.

1 decade ago

the 760 is a bit slower than the 670 but the 770 is a bit faster than the 680

1 decade ago

im buying a new pc, so this post might be useful for me too

1 decade ago

I was buying new one as well, and could not decide which one to take (between 760 and 770). Eventually I decided that I will take GTX 780. Not regretting it one bit.

1 decade ago

I own a 760 and it has enough power for everything I've thrown at it. I've played Crysis 2 on Ultra with 60+fps and no noticeable input lag (and I'm pretty picky about that). With all my customization I can get 1000+ fps in tf2, haha.

Edit: for RAM, buy DDR3 from a good brand and you'll be fine. I've been happy with Corsair. 8gb is enough for running a game, Firefox with 100s of tabs, and a VM, so I wouldn't recommend more unless you plan to have multiple VMs open all the time.

1 decade ago

mmm interesting, really tempting! I miiight go with 760

1 decade ago

I wouldn't say I know enough about cards to give my input on that, but for the RAM I'd say you should get 2 sticks of 4Gb RAM from a respectable brand. Like that you have two spare slots for when you want to upgrade to 16Gb. As far as speed goes I'm fine with 1333MHz, but if you can get faster for a very small price difference then go right ahead :)

1 decade ago

Does RAM speed affect gaming ?

1 decade ago

Oh yes it does

1 decade ago

So basicly I should get the fastest one my motherboard can handle? I've linked the motherboard model above, what does it mean when they specify a certain speed with (oc?)

1 decade ago

And mind the latency of the RAM. Pick the RAM with the lowest latency

1 decade ago

Not the fastest at any costs. You should just "keep it in mind" when picking the RAM with similar prices.
Past a certain point the same money buys you WAY more gaming performance if you invest it in the GPU. Really: we are talking +5% vs +20% for the same money.

The sweet spot performance/cost has recently been at 1600MHz Frequency, 9 "CAS Latency"(sometimes just "Latency" or "CAS" or "C" or "L") and 8GBs quantity.
In general you need "enough" RAM to never have to access the HDD/SSD (today I'd say AT LEAST 4GBs, 8GBs sweet spot, 16GBs "next-gen-proof").
Once you have enough in quantity: for frequency higher is better, for latency lower is better.

If you have some extra money to invest, I'd still wouldn't go higher than 1866MHz freq and lower than CAS 7. It's just not worth it.

As a general rule in games and on average we are usually talking +2-5% from 1333/9 to 1600/9, +1-2% from 1600/9 to 1600/7 (or 1866/9) and +1-2% from these to 1866/7.
Again: past that it's only wasted money. Even a 3000/9 RAM would look silly compared to the same PC that has a the next GPU in the hierarchy instead.

You can find several articles on the matter. Be carefull to look for those that focus on games, and on games at the resolution you are interested in. This is probably one of those.
Some articles focus on low resolutions because they are comparing architectures' efficiency or hunting for bottlenecks.
When it comes to gaming, always look for performance in your games and at your resolutions.

1 decade ago

The difference in speed is so insignificant, you may as well say there is none (assuming we're talking within the DDR3 range). Watch this video or google some info on ram speed in games.
Of course if you can get higher mhz for 5-10$ more (or sometimes for less), then may as well go with that, but keep in mind that you won't notice difference in games.

1 decade ago

Even though I prefer Nividia, I own a AMD Radeon 7850. It runs with my I3 3220 perfectly. I live in New Zealand so I can't recommend where to buy it from.

1 decade ago

What's your monitor's native resolution?

1 decade ago

1080p

1 decade ago

Guess it depends on how many fancy graphics bells and whistles you want enabled then. Most of the time I'd recommend the mid-range option with more frequent upgrades (using the money saved with the initial purchase and selling the old card) than the high end option with infrequent upgrades.

1 decade ago

I currently have 4x2 RAM sticks and it's more than enough. I'd recommend 6 GB RAM or better, from a decent brand.
Cheers. ^_^

1 decade ago

Yeh I will get 8GB or 16GB probably. I wonder if RAM clock speed really matters for gaming.

1 decade ago

get 16 GB at AT LEAST 1333. prefer 1600 though.

1 decade ago

16GB is a huge difference over 8GB? I don't think most games use that much do they?

1 decade ago

No. 8GB is more than enough atm.

1 decade ago

Going over 8GB of RAM for gaming is waste of money and the speeds it runs at means nothing.

1 decade ago

I assume 16GB and over is for stuff like video editing?

1 decade ago

Yes. Unless you do frequent video editing, rendering, photoshopping or anything like that, then 16GB is good choice, but if you play games then it definitely is not a good choice to put your money into.

1 decade ago

For gamers there is no difference between 1333 or 1600.

1 decade ago

Most ram sticks come in 1600 Mhz and the price difference between 1600 and 1333 is so negligible, it's best to get 1600 (unless the 1333 is noticeably cheaper).

1 decade ago

I owned a 760, then upgraded to a 770 because I found a sweet deal on it. The 770 benchmarks about 20% higher, but is about 30% more expensive. If you have the cash, the 770 will last longer before needing an upgrade. They both will run any game out there right now very well.

1 decade ago

Interesting, is that deal still available somewhere? :P

1 decade ago

GTX 770? Aw man, I'm poor, hahahaha. I still use a GT520 with a C2D and DDR2 ram memory

1 decade ago

Since I don't buy GPUs often (pretty much wait until they break every 3-4 years or so) I buy ones slightly more expensive. If I had to get one every year or two I'd probably go with $100 range.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

Oh? 780 ti is like $750, owie.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

Just because it's the fastest card on the market doesn't mean it's worth the money. GTX 760 (with 4GB of vram) in SLI is faster and cheaper in SLI optimized games (majority of games nowadays) than a GTX 780 ti.

1 decade ago

760 and some more GAs :p

1 decade ago

lol :P
What GAs?

1 decade ago

Why not 280x or 290?

1 decade ago

Yes

1 decade ago

if u can afford to get the 770 get that if u can't then get the 760 i just got a 760 and it runs really well
as far as MSI or EVGA they are both great manufacturers so i would look into the review of the specific models

1 decade ago

Could you give more detailed list of your components? Such as CPU, PSU, etc.
Recently I just bought GTX 770 for my computer which has i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz CPU. The bottleneck isn't big for me, and I would say GTX 770 is more future-proof than gtx 760. However GTX 770 is just a remade GTX 680 and the gaming performance between them is only like 1 fps in average.

But like you said, gtx 770 is costlier. So you need to ask yourself if it is worth the price increase. GTX770 comes with Batman Origins steam key, but it ain't worth all that much.
Don't get GTX780Ti, it is way too costly for it's performance increase.

1 decade ago

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (will upgrade speed soon)
MB: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H77-DS3H

1 decade ago

Get the 770, your CPU deserves it.

1 decade ago

Is your Power Supply Unit good enough for new GPUs?
Otherwise it seems both are valid choises. Get the best deal you can find. Deal not being cheapest in price, but biggest cut in discount. :P

1 decade ago

He stated he's using a GTX285, I think he's safe on that side. :)

1 decade ago

hm O.o what will you be doing with that i7?programming?animating?

1 decade ago

Grab the 770. (2GB version, you won't need the 4GB one) The 770 will be able to give a better performance in those 3-4 years.

I've just bought a 770 aswell btw. Still waiting for it to arrive tho. :P

And, depending on where you live, you might even get 3 games with a 770. AC4, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Batman Arkham Origins are bundled with a 770 (or better GPU) where I live.

1 decade ago

Which one did you get?

I live in Israel but will most probably order from the US. How does it affect which games you'll be getting though?

1 decade ago

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 Windforce 3X OC is the one I bought. Not really sure how good the card is compared to the other versions but I always liked Gigabyte. ;)

1 decade ago

The longer you intend to keep the card the more it tips in the favour of the GTX770. Since you said only get a new one every 3-4 years I'd say the 770 would definitely be the one to go for, weaker cards just don't cut it in the long run.

Depending on all your other hardware, especially the PSU and the motherboard, you may however also have the option of going with the 760 now and then adding another 1-2 years from now for a multi-card configuration that will be even punchier than that 770 down the line.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

Get 760, and with that extra money get a good SSD.

1 decade ago

SSD is luxury.

1 decade ago

And an expensive GPU isn't? An ssd is probably the biggest noticeable upgrade you can add to any system. Drop the 770 for an SSD if feasible.

1 decade ago

Boot times and applications are significantly faster, but for games you really don't get shit. GPU upgrade will always be better.

1 decade ago

If you get 60+ fps with a 760 why spend money on a 770 when you can improve the rest of your rig significantly. A pc is used for more than just gaming and the 760 is perfectly capable of handling just about everything under the sun at 1080 right now and in the near future.

1 decade ago

No it totally isnt. You won't see an improvement to fps by buying a SSD. SSDs only help to reduce loading times.

1 decade ago

A luxury is still a luxury regardless of what it does...

1 decade ago

Are you even listening to what you're saying.

SSD is a luxury, sure it is nice to have but is isn't something that requires immediate attention. GPU on the other hand is important, well unless you use iGPU and enjoy playing with lowest possible settings on every game.

1 decade ago

No I am completely oblivious to what im saying. Thanks though.

I have never said that OP should disregard a GPU and pick up an SSD, that is just stupid. What I suggested is to get a (more than decent) gpu and if possible an ssd.

1 decade ago

And thats the problem. The 760 is NOT "more than decent" considering that he will use the card in the next 3-4 years.

1 decade ago

If the OP was running his GTX285 until now and was satisfied with the performance, GTX760 will satisfy him for 3-4 years easily. And I can bet you don't have an SSD, which is the reason why you say it's a "luxury" and not needed.
Sure, an SSD won't improve your framerate, but the perceived performance of the system overall will be much better.
"Once you go SSD, you never go back!" <Someone on the internet>

1 decade ago

Yea, I don't need a SSD atm. I couldn't care less for a faster booting OS etc (My PC is running almost 24/7 anyway) Improving your FPS is more important than a SSD.

1 decade ago

Clearly you don't know how great an SSD is. It does much more than just booting OS faster. Imho if you have a good system that runs everything at 60'ish fps at 1080p, an SSD is great, considering you can get some 128gb ones for even under 100$ on sales.

1 decade ago

I'd rather give up my SSD than downgrade my 770.

1 decade ago

I too normally recommend an SSD in any modern PC, but OP stated that the 760 is already a stretch for his budget, so it's a no-go this time. :)

1 decade ago

-->> MSI GTX 770 gaming <<-- Best card on the market if you are like me and are looking for a silent & low power usage version. Highly recommend it, and dont get the 4Gb version, thats just money down the drain!

1 decade ago

EVGA GTX 770 With ACX Cooling, best card on the market.

1 decade ago

Incorrect. The gigabyte windforce beats the acx cooler on all benchmarks.

Performance wise the wind force equipped cards win out over pretty much everything

1 decade ago

they are longer than standard cards though and thus a bad choice for anyone with small case and/or who need their removable HDD cages

1 decade ago

I'd love to see sources for that, since the EVGA cards are overclocked pretty well and my card is below 70 °C under full load, it shouldn't throttle. Since they all use a GK 104 and 2gigs I sincerly doubt the Gigabyte is noticibly better than the EVGA card.

Also, Gigabyte gives you the card only, while EVGA has a great package around the card including cashback, upgrading to a higher card within 90 days of purchase for the difference of the cards (buy a 770 for 300 €, pay them 200 € and give them your 770 and you get a 780 (given the 780 costs 600 €))

Apart from that you have the 3 years of free warranty that allowed you to clean the cooler and even change it.

In addition, you even get games from EVGA themselves. Painkiller Hell & Damnation, Rise of Triad, Deadfall adventures.

EVGA is superior in any way.

Also, quick search on Gigabyte warranty: "Yea there warranty is 3 years. However there turn around on a RMA could take inwards around a month. Early on with my GTX670 OC version from Gigabyte I called asking what the turn around time would be and they said 3-4 weeks absolute garbage from what I had before with EVGA."
source

I'd buy EVGA again, even if it means paying more.

1 decade ago

I got the EVGA 760 SC ACX. Runs just about anything fine. Some newer games you have to turn down some of the higher settings (still at ultra textures and 1080p) to get 60fps. If youre stretching it with both, why is the 770 an option at all?

Feel free to ask if you want to know anything about how my card runs.

1 decade ago

i've got asus 760. Everything runs smoth at 1080 maxed...
btw if u can afford it, buy a 770.

1 decade ago

A lot depends on the resolution you play.
Let's say you play on a HD-ready TV (= 720p = 1280x720), a 1440x900 (probably even 1680x1050) monitor: the 760 will last you all the "next-gen" without a problem. Even at Full-HD (1920x1080) I wouldn't see any problems for a couple of years at least.
Past Full-HD the 770 would be reccomended, and it would probably last you more than those 3-4 years you mentioned.

I'd normally ask for the PSU's model, but seeing you are using a GTX285, you won't have any problem picking either card.

As for brand, I reccomend looking for comparatives, with focus on the noise and temperatures.
With this in mind and specifically for the GTX760, MSI with its TwinFrozr Cooler has focused less on the factory overclock (a bit less performance out of the box), but has the lowest temperatures and noise, which is what I personally like, use and reccomend.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Tzell.