So there is topic about most underrated. Shoud be an opposite of that, shouldnt it?

I think Mark of the Ninja or Dishonored - overrated.

Also we can discuss most overrated game of all time. My thoughts: Half Life 2. Nothing special.(except for Gravity Gun, which is really awesome)

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Call of Duty series.

1 decade ago

you disappointed about something because you expect too much from this, don't expect something unreal and heavenly, and you'll enjoy 80% of games

1 decade ago

Nobody is talking about disappointment. I was not disappointed in borderlands 2, yet I think it's overrated. Same with the other games I listed.

1 decade ago

overrated = disappointed

1 decade ago

Well, I'm not a native english speaker, but overrated and disappointing are definitely not synonyms. As I clearly said above, I wasn't disappointed by Borderlands 2 and yet I think it is overrated.

1 decade ago

Nope. Overrated (at least in my mind) means that everyone says it is AWESOME!!11!1!11 and in reality, it's just 'good'. For example, Skyrim. It's a good game, maybe not as good as it's prequels, and certainly not worth all the hype it got but I'm not disappointed by it.

Disappointed is when you believe all the sheeple and the hype and buy it and it turns out that you think it is shit. For example The WarZ (never played it, probably never will, just heard all the bad press). People were expecting a game with whatever 'parts' were advertised for it and what they got was some graphics and a game engine. Those people were disappointed.

(Then again, all that ^ is based on my interpretation of the 2 words in question.)

1 decade ago

How is Borderlands 2 overrated? There's so much packed into one game, you get your money's worth and then some. State of the art physics, a varied story, interesting characters, well optimised. I honestly don't know how to make a run and gun RPG any better.

1 decade ago

Borderlands 2 felt more like Borderlands 1.5 for a lot of people, myself included.
Now don't get me wrong; it's a good game, but not to the point where it deserved the hype that it got.

Did I enjoy it? Yes.
Do I feel that it was worth the rave reviews and $60 price tag? No.

1 decade ago

Borderlands 2 is one of the few games I would have paid $60 for. There are plenty of other games with that price that are a complete waste of time and money. Very surprisingly, the price dropped quite quickly anyways! :)

1 decade ago

I think part of the reason I had such a big issue with BL2 is because I played the original BL like my life depended on it.

I think that I was still burned out from BL when I first picked up BL2 (that and Lilith > Maya).
But Claptrap's Party...gets me every time.

1 decade ago

You mean the physics that you can only see if you are using a GTX that otherwise look like the first game? That's cool and all but I'm not going to buy a new GPU to see shiny particles. That won't change my opinion on the game anyways.
As for the story, I don't know what you mean by varied, but then again I didn't pay much attention to it since the story in the first one was boring as hell. I wasn't expecting an amazing story anyways.
The game is full of weapons that are merely reskins. It's a 'loot fest' where 98% of the loot is shit and not even worth looking at. Big bosses are a pain in the ass to kill at first and end up dropping garbage, which means that if you want to get cool stuff (aka broken and overpowered) you need to farm them, which is not hard once you know the glitches, just annoying and time consuming. Once you get the broken items you can just two-shoot endgame bosses though, reducing the challenge to 0.

I'm on a similar boat as nowei, except I didn't really enjoy it and stopped playing around half way through the game. I would definitely not pay $60 for it. As a final note I didn't enjoy the first one either and never really understood what all the hype was about.

1 decade ago

Graphics wise, interface wise, story wise, and overall scale wise it's superior to the first game. You don't need a GTX card to notice that. A varied story involves many different characters, surprises, moments that make you go "oh shit" and a good pacing. Borderlands 2 pretty much lives and breathes that. I'll admit the first Borderlands story was garbage, everyone hyped over the weapons.

I haven't noticed garbage from bosses :S I've never heard of or felt the need to farm for anything either. It just doesn't strike me as that sort of game :S The guns are all procedurally generated so that's probably why you mentioned the re-skins. However, there are so many different models of guns as well. Some are shit, some are good, some are amazing. You can't deny the variation of guns in Borderlands 2. Finding lots of similar shitty guns doesn't prove that wrong :P

I don't think you're getting the full experience of the game if you haven't beaten it, yet resorted to farming and finding these illusive "broken weapons". The game has been very well paced for me, since the start and I've been finishing every mission I can find. Just when I thought I was at the end of the game, I wasn't. And got thrown into a whole need setting to continue the lengthy story.

If you really didn't like it, no worries, it's not for everyone. I just don't think it's overrated, a lot of work was put into the game.

1 decade ago

and doesn't the weapons make sense? i mean, do you think you would find loads of amazing guns on say bandits? Also, the references to other games are amazing xD

1 decade ago

The CIA brought in guns specifically to arm the rebels :P

1 decade ago

To appreciate what Half Life has done to games you need to remember it came out in 2004 and was truely great for that time but if you play it now the gameplay may or may not stack up to new AAA titles. That said, if you play Half-Life from the start, it has a great story.

1 decade ago

Half Life 3

1 decade ago

lol?

1 decade ago

Borderlands 2

1 decade ago

wtf? why man, that game was 569897

1 decade ago

Most overrated: FTL: Faster Than Light, awful game.
Most underrated: Max Payne 3, fantastic game, well worth any price under $100.

1 decade ago

because you didn't like FTL makes it an awful game? same with MP3, others seem to find it overrated

1 decade ago

True, I meant awful as an opinion, obviously. When the word 'awful' is in a sentence, the sentence is always an opinion.

1 decade ago

halo 4

1 decade ago

wtf? why man, that game was 569897

1 decade ago

The Walking Dead and Call of Duty.

1 decade ago

The Walking Dead is actually great game. Why you didn't like it?

1 decade ago

I couldn't enjoy it partly because of the audio glitches. :(

Normally I like point and click games but this one just didn't do it for me.

1 decade ago

It's great story. And great experience when you play it for first time. But strip it out of story and you got "find white dots" and "mash buttons" - and those parts aren't really fun.

That makes it poor game. There are many great games without story (who needed one in Doom or Minecraft?), some games would be much worse without them (RPGs obviously, but even those can have mechanics that will be fun - just look at Skyrim, it's really poor in story department and still fun), but TWD wouldn't exist without it.

1 decade ago

Maybe TWD is made for the story? It isn't made for the gameplay but for the awesome story, and as you say you find it great too, so didn't they achieve what the wanted?

1 decade ago

But as a game it's overrated. It's a point&click adventure and more like a movie than a game. It's still awesome, but just not as a real game.

1 decade ago

There are many games with great story and with gameplay along the way. If you want ancient games: there's Monkey Island series from those 20 years ago, there's Blade Runner from 10 years ago. And RPG games usually have nice stories - sometimes whole game, sometimes just some quests that really blow your mind.

1 decade ago

I didn't say I didn't like it.
I merely feel that it was over-hyped and got a lot more attention than what it deserved as a piece of gaming software.

If nothing else, I feel that the game coasted on the coat-tails of the TV series' popularity.
I really don't think that it deserved GOTY...then again the VGA's are a joke.

1 decade ago

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

1 decade ago

I'm not agree, i played the beta and it was a very good game!

1 decade ago

I don't think you know what overrated means.. I do like it, but it is not as good as everyone says, that is what overrated means.

1 decade ago

depend of how much money (publicity) you spend on promotion. Game does not matter.
but in my opinion is a lot of them.

1 decade ago

Mass Effect 3

1 decade ago

Diablo 3...and I bought collectors edition...:(

1 decade ago

this...100%

waited for it since 2007...announced for 2009 and came out 2012...typical Blizzard story

they didn't even have the courtesy to adabt the contents to 2012 standards

and of course Black Ops II

not more to offer than any previous CoD game other than an even worse playerbase

1 decade ago

Diablo 3 for sure. My roommate bought it for my birthday, worst gift ever.

My mom once put a phone book in an empty PS2 box for Christmas (because we didn't have the money and she thought it was hilarious), which was still a better gift than Diablo 3.

1 decade ago

I'm sorry, but I would have knocked the bitch out for doing that. Nothing personal. That shit is exceptionally NOT funny.

1 decade ago

I never did get a PS2...

single tear

1 decade ago

Far cry 3- Sure it's a nice game but people overrate it soooooooo much, Ubisoft could have done better with the game and I am actually quite disappointed of spending 45 bucks on it for the deluxe edition.
Not really this year but Skyrim - It was really dumbed down from Oblivion/Morrowind, and most of the quests are annoying fetch quests or go kill these horrible people/dragons at that location that remind of freaking MMORPGs and they give you enormous amounts of gold just for retrieving an item that is barely worth a tenth of what they have rewarded you.
Also Diablo 3, 'nuff said.

1 decade ago

Dear Esther and Amy. Mechanically incompetent, pointless, boring, and in the case of the latter, utterly broken. ALL OF THE AWARDS!

1 decade ago

Don't worry, nobody liked Amy. Nobody. Absolute trash, which is a shame because the previews had interesting ideas.

1 decade ago

Also: Indiegala is the worst, I don't care how many free copies you get from Happy Hour.

1 decade ago

To the Moon. Seriously.

1 decade ago

Walking Dead/Spec Ops/Far Cry 3. Take your pick.

1 decade ago

How on earth is Mark of the Ninja overrated....

1 decade ago

I agree about Mark of the Ninja, but not with Dishonored, Dishonored is super-good!

1 decade ago

Walking Dead. It's not for everybody.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

1 decade ago

Uhh Cod BO2 And Dota 2.....Ohh and maybe AC3

1 decade ago

Prototype 2

1 decade ago

Prototype 2 isnt good rated, afaik. Its a bad pc port, but still a good game imo.

1 decade ago

Walking Dead

1 decade ago

AC3, BO2 and MP3

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Shwade.