We removed Metro 2033 from the giveaway list, since it's freely available on Facebook at the moment. When they run out of keys, we'll look into bringing it back.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Thank you Mister Wizard!

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+2

1 decade ago

+3

1 decade ago

+4

1 decade ago

+5

1 decade ago

+6

1 decade ago

+7

1 decade ago

+8

1 decade ago

+9

1 decade ago

+10

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

+12

1 decade ago

+13 I got 4 copy's and i won one from steamgifts ...

1 decade ago

+14

1 decade ago

+15

1 decade ago

+16

1 decade ago

+15

1 decade ago

+14

1 decade ago

why u made an entry?

1 decade ago

+13

1 decade ago

+12

1 decade ago

+11

1 decade ago

+10

1 decade ago

+22

1 decade ago

+13

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

1 decade ago

+14

1 decade ago

+9000

1 decade ago

ITS OVER 9000!!!! +20

1 decade ago

+9001

1 decade ago

+9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

1 decade ago

No

1 decade ago

+Nein (if you know what I mean)

1 decade ago

+15

1 decade ago

+16

1 decade ago

+9

1 decade ago

+8

1 decade ago

+7

1 decade ago

Nice!

1 decade ago

+27
here, I fixed this for you :)

1 decade ago

+30

1 decade ago

rofls what's with the numbers?

1 decade ago

Now just claim few keys... wait till giveaway will be over and give them away :d or sell eventually.

1 decade ago

Txh

1 decade ago

good

1 decade ago

yes.

1 decade ago

not fair

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+2

1 decade ago

+3

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

-989999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

1 decade ago

анусы себе заминусуйте

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Thanks you very much :)

1 decade ago

What about the people that doesn't have a facebook account? (Not my case)

1 decade ago

Well, basically not our problem. I doubt the site was created as relay for facebook. If you ask around, you can find someone willing.

1 decade ago

that could be considered begging :(

1 decade ago

Well, it is. Just don't do it here.

1 decade ago

they can enter the miriad of giveaways that are still open

1 decade ago

Tbh, they should grow a pair of nuts and make a facebook account. I don't see a problem with that. They want the game? Do something in return... The FB account can even be made on a one-time use spam-mail with 'fake' details.

1 decade ago

^THIS. There's no excuse not to have an FB account if someone wants free stuff.

1 decade ago

Naw, I tried to create a fake account a few months ago to mess with a friend. They always end up wanting a phone number or something more official to prove you're real. Especially with spammy email addresses.

1 decade ago

www.humblebundle.com (1 day left)

1 decade ago

THIS

1 decade ago

well and what about ppl who doesn't have steam account? Why aren't they allowed on SG?

You want something for free and it requires account? Create it or suck it. Simple as that ;P

1 decade ago

Someone bring a trophie to this argument.

Close Topic

1 decade ago

Just make a random one,i have one open that i dont even use just for when stuff like this happens.

1 decade ago

I did but I can understand that/why some might not want to do so(They don't like FB's policies, fear their privacy being affected in some way, etc.).

1 decade ago

Then they won't get their promotions. As simple as that. I see nothing to worry about there.

1 decade ago

Yep. I don't have an account but I'm not whining that I can't get free stuff with it.

1 decade ago

make an account, get the game, delete account, simple

1 decade ago

Thanks ;D

1 decade ago

Thanks cg :)

1 decade ago

Yeeeeeey!

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

1 decade ago

Wise decision =)

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

Will all the Metro 2033 giveaways created after the free promotion be removed? Also what will happen to the creators, will they be suspended?

1 decade ago

People who made multiple giveaways of the game will be suspended.

1 decade ago

I have multiple copies I bought from Amazon before all this. IMHO contribution should be dropped to $0.00 for a month.

1 decade ago

That giveaway ended 3 days ago, so it shouldn't affect you. The mods have said people could (meaning if they get around to suspending everyone) be suspended for creating multiple giveaways. If you gave away copies from another source, other than FB, then you could ask for them to lift the ban.

1 decade ago

doesn't stop anyone from sitting on their keys and them submitting them after that period ends

1 decade ago

this.. +1.000

1 decade ago

Nah, just ban them. If you can show proof of purchase then you have nothing to worry about.

1 decade ago

Yay!

1 decade ago

Great news..

1 decade ago

cg for the admin!
oh... that was silly

1 decade ago

Mark it down to like 1 point value.

1 decade ago

It still will be too much. ;D

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

bit of a shame for people who already purchased the game and who didnt try to game the system with multiple fb accounts tho

1 decade ago

OMG thanks!

1 decade ago

Excellent.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Sort of a related question here for the support staff:

Is there something that can be done to lower the point generation as a result of all these bundle games and now free stuff like this that keeps getting spammed? I mean if everyone can enter everything then what's the point? (no pun intended)

I think that when the system was designed and then adjusted, the intention was that users would have to pick & choose among a low percentage of giveaways to enter that they are truly interested in (each subsequently with less entries). Now instead what you get when the 'spam' happens is periods of massive point generation and everyone being able to enter everything else that is not something being spammed (because why would the people who contribute those items want to enter them anyway?)

1 decade ago

+0.5

1 decade ago

I've been wondering if allowing people to enter giveaways multiple times might be a viable solution. It would have its pros and cons, but it would keep points "valuable" regardless of how fast they are generated.

People would have less incentive to enter giveaways for games that they don't really care about, not if they could instead spend those points to increase their chances of winning a game that they do care about.

It would presumably be less work than an alternative that was floated a few months back, of scaling the "value" of games based on how many copies are currently and have recently been available. (With a supply system, Metro 2033 value would have crashed quickly, and would have taken months to gradually rise again. Such a system is an alternative to flagging games as reduced value bundle/exploit items, which has caused some games to vanish from giveaways since. In the case of Metro 2033, we'd see giveaways vanish after the initial flood when people realized that they were getting little or even no contributor credit. After a few weeks or months, the value would rise enough for some to "cash in" for a couple of bucks of contributor status, though each giveaway would slow the overall value recovery. After several months of little to no giveaways, the game would eventually restore to full value. The biggest issue with such a system would be the work required to implement it. The second biggest issue might be that the early birds acting on bundles or exploits would still get full or near full value for their giveaways. That doesn't bother me, but I'm sure it would bother some.)

1 decade ago

Thank you for this well thought out reply!

I actually really like that idea of being able to enter a giveaway multiple times (at the cost of more points) in order to increase your odds. That is something I overlooked and hadn't considered. Like you said, it would keep all points relevant no matter how many are generated and it would also encourage people to enter games that they are actually interested in and not just because they have so many points to burn.

1 decade ago

Nope. It's no different from allowing fractional entries. Everyone still gets the same number of points, so everything works out basically the same. The distribution is just shuffled around slightly.

1 decade ago

Yes, but just because everyone gets the same points and everything is equal it doesn't address the issue of people entering giveaways for games that they don't really have an interest in just because they have the points to waste. People absolutely do this and to some degree it negates the purpose of the point system in the first place. If everyone can enter every 'non-spam' item then you may as well just do away with it.

1 decade ago

I never said they didn't. I just get tired of seeing people suggesting multiple entries. It violates the principle of one entry per account, which is about as close to sacrosanct as any principle here. That's why alt accounts are an instant perma-ban. That's why wins have to be redeemed on the winning account and can't be given away or traded. Looking for a solution to that is all fine and dandy, but nothing that violates one entry per account will ever fly.

1 decade ago

here an idea, ask cg to start an auction site that consume the points generate here.

Any auction in that site use the points here. That way u will not violate the spirit of 1 acc 1 giveaway here.

1 decade ago

If you feel that strongly about it, I would recommend lobbying to have point generation scaled back from 5% to maybe 2 or 3%. It's been scaled back before to its current level, just not in a very long time, because it's worked fairly well so far.

Really, the thing is that this issue is largely predicated on the idea that there will always be bundles, key giveaways, etc. going on that will cause these situations. The fact is that this state of affairs has only been in place for several months now, and it's still been off and on, which could leave people in a point drought if these things stop, or even in the times between them.

It could be that it causes a lot of problems later on if the bundle business takes a nosedive, and I'm not sure where that's going myself. I suppose it could be scaled back up in that case, though. The main point, though, is: point generation itself is really the best target for a solution, at least in my opinion.

1 decade ago

the 300p cap is the reason people keep entering, keep reducing the point generating wont help. if u keep cutting points, there will be a period where the points is sooo rare because there isnt any free giveaway to generate points to enter something u REALLY want badly but could afford it.

The best way is to remove the cap

1 decade ago

no, because if there is no cap someone who is inactive could just accumulate them and come back to an obscene number of points, literally entering everything

1 decade ago

it will not boost his winning chance much. It is still random winning chance.

right now, everyone of us already enter almost every giveaway thanks to the points, so it is no diff. At least with point cap out people will have less reason to enter something they dont need. With cap, some could say, why waste the points when he can enter something for steam library decoration.

1 decade ago

If you remove the cap there will be several users who will never run out of points, effectively defeating the purpose of having points. The cap is there to make you think about what you enter rather than entering everything which will increase your chance of winning. In the long term everyone's chances of winning decreases.

1 decade ago

this isnnt gonna be an issue if u make points generate @ 75% slower rate than now, because points alone is much harder to come by, it means people will have to selectively choose to enter a giveaway using the points they saved for weeks/months.

1 decade ago

A 75% drop in point generation? I'm sure there will be a significant drop in site activity. How many people do you think are going to stick around if they don't have points to spend? What happens when you want to giveaway Dishonored to your friends but they've already used their points so you have to wait 2 weeks? What about group giveaways where there are much fewer entries already?

I honestly think the point generation shouldn't be touched even with bundle spam showing up.

1 decade ago

it only takes a day to get 60p, & thats outside all these free metro 2033 spam. -75% is not as bad as what u said.

1 decade ago

So I have to wait 4 days before I can enter to win Dishonored. Most giveaways I make don't last that long :S

Btw you were the one who mentioned how "bad" it was

1 decade ago

u were the ones saying removing the cap could mean people would never run out of points. By slowing down the point generation, this will not be a problem, unless that guy saved his points for weeks/months then enter everything. :P

if u have to wait 4 days win dishonored, it means u were greedy 4 days ago. :P

overall it is about making each points more valuable & worth saving up to use on games u actually want when there is a massive giveaway u would not be short of points.

1 decade ago

It's about balancing out the value of the points and the rate at which they accumulate. If you remove the cap the value of the points drops very quickly. If you slow the accumulation by 75% you will increase the value by far too much. You'll either have too much activity on the site or not enough activity on the site :P If you tried to implement BOTH you would have idle accounts befitting the most for ironically not being active on the site!

People will go elsewhere if they can only enter giveaways every few weeks. They'll forget about it and find another site to occupy their daily time. Steamgifts will slowly die, very quietly I might add due to lack of users lol.

1 decade ago

ok 50% then lol....

1 decade ago

finally !!!

1 decade ago

Great news.

1 decade ago

Or you know, keep it removed perm...

1 decade ago

Why?

1 decade ago

I think everyone in the world now has Metro 2033. including my mother.

1 decade ago

FREE POINT GENERATOR HAS STOPPED WORKING :D

1 decade ago

This is a good thing. I've already entered pretty much everything I am even somewhat interested in that is closing within the next two weeks at least, and that was before today. Now sitting on 300 points (again) and not sure I even know what to do with them. Maybe I'll enter some fake giveaways or something.

1 decade ago

stop shouting

1 decade ago

accecpted

1 decade ago

Thank you.

1 decade ago

Thank you! This was the right choice.

1 decade ago

So how is it any different than Steam having games on sale and that sale price not being reflected on here? For example, a game on here showing as $39.99 in value, but Steam having it on sale for $4.99, it gives the contributors of said game a much greater advantage over others by buying it dirt cheap and then posting it up on here for normal value. It equates to a scam really, and tbh this feels more like an unfair targeting scheme in comparison. I could see if the point value was lowered because of it, but to temp remove it altogether is just stupid when compared to the already-issued policies elsewise.

1 decade ago

Because you have actually to pay for Steam games, you can't get a thousand of free keys by using alt accounts (And thus breaking the promotion rules) That's why.

And it's removal has been the best choice that could be done.

Any way, apart from free insults to most of the people around, what else would you propose? Lowering it's points wouldn't help either as the site was under traffic issues.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by cg.