Oi, lads and gals :D
After purchasing latest thief and having much lags due lack of vram in my gtx260 i started to search for video card with good amount of vram and stopped on titan series... but meeh... too much ^^
and yesterday i've found that nvidia released 780 series with 6gb of vram, and as i've understood that is a good option.
Sooo :D should i go for gtx 780 with 6gb vram or wait for 780 Ti with 6gb vram? oooor stay with current gtx780?
and what to pick nvidia or some tuned card like evga?

atm i have msi p55-gd80 with i5-750... do i also need to buy new motherboard or with this one i won't have any probs with installing new videocard...

thanks in advance :)

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

So you currently have a GTX 260? That alone would not even be able to handle any new games such as Thief. Depending on what your resolution is, any GTX 770 or 780 will work. ASUS or EVGA are the most popular brands because of quality and their cooling solutions.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

You dont really need those 6 GB unless you are playing on 2560*1440 or higher.

1 decade ago

i got your point... but if to look in future... like i want to buy card for next 4-5 years... so stick to current gtx 780 or wait for 6gb of vram?

1 decade ago

i guess you wont be able to lauch even PackMan 2016 on 780, so it is worthless. Go with the simple 780 one.

1 decade ago

I'm sorry, but what do you need 6GB of vram for, exactly? as far as I know (might be wrong) such huge amount is useless unless you want to enjoy gaming in 4K resolution on ultra settings, but then you would need few 780Ti's. And Thief is laggy because it's laggy - say thanks to devs.
If i were you I'd rather stay with the current 780.

1 decade ago

well, my thoughts were to buy card for 5-6 years, but i am not good in this so asked for opinions...
as i've understood i would be good with 3gb of vram, but i am not expert in this...
and thanks for your opinion :)

1 decade ago

When comparing two cards which are identical except for the amount of VRAM, the card with more VRAM is a tiny bit slower until the smaller card's VRAM is full. It's due to having a larger address space to work with. But the difference is so small that only benchmarking will reveal it unless you're playing on sub-30 FPS.

That much VRAM is worthless if you won't be filling it. If 6GB of textures is commonplace 5-6 years from now, you'll see cheaper video cards available in 5-6 years with 6GB of VRAM. You'll likely spend less buying an appropriate card of today, plus an appropriate card of 5-6 years from now.

I would go for a card with 2GB of VRAM today. 5-6 years ago, 1GB was the most that you expected to need. Today, that's usually 2GB. But in 5-6 years, I'm expecting 3-4GB. 6GB will be for enthusiasts with a few of those 4K displays that are still expensive today, but may be cheaper in 5-6 years.

If you want to be able to run today's games at 1080p, 2GB is overkill. If you want to be able to run today's games at 1440p, 3GB is plenty. But note that as your resolution goes higher, the noticeable effect of post processing diminishes. It becomes less of a necessity, unless you're playing older games with simpler polygon models, but then there's very little improvement.

Betabot's suggestion is good, a 770 or 780 from ASUS or EVGA. Though I do like Gigabyte's Windforce and MSI's Twin Frozr cooling systems.

Check reviews and prices, but you would be very happy with a 770 for about 320 USD. It will have you playing 1440p and flying. Games which are optimized for Mantle (AMD) will not do as well for you, but you have superior PhysX and lower heat production and power usage. The 780 is your best bet if you want to not worry about an upgrade for more than 6 years, but I personally wouldn't go higher than the 760 today, since I don't feel that I need more than 1080p.

The Titan series is a boutique product. It says that you spent 50-100% more for 5% more performance. Same with AMD's 290x.

As for the Thief reboot, it has fps stability issues on every card. It is a badly optimized game. Seriously, go check out player reviews on Youtube.

1 decade ago

thanks a ton for explaining that for me :D

1 decade ago

imho: it's the slowest component of your system that sets the performance, not the fastest. The only sensible way to build a pc is to have it well balanced

Also consumer electronics, in particular pc components, don't fit too well into the idea of 'investment'. In order to get a card that will still perform well in 5 - 6 years time, you need to fork out a huge amount of money today, knowing that:

you will very unlikely use the full potential of the card today

in 3-4 years other components of your pc will have become the performance bottleneck anyway, so you won't be able to use the full video card potential then either, unless you upgrade the rest too. But there's no guarantee that today's standards will last that long

drivers updates for older cards are often disappointing, if existent at all

in 3 - 4 years time a middle-range, decently priced card will be way faster than the fastest card you could buy today

My recommendation: pick the most demanding game you plan to play TODAY (thief is not a good example, as others said it doesn't seem to be a well written/optimized game yet), find out what card would allow you to play it at highest settings AT YOUR MONITOR'S RESOLUTION, then pick a card that performs a bit better than that.

You will be able to play anything you like for a while, up to a couple of years, with top to good settings. Then when you feel like your system is too slow, upgrade the slowest component(s) (I'd bet it won't be the video card) or if needed consider a full system upgrade.

1 decade ago

makes sense...
atm planning not only buy video card but also buy:

1. asus or msi z87 motherboard
  2. i5-4670K Haswell
  3. additional ram
    but first i need to find out about which video card to purchase, so i can form bugdet for other parts...

and thanks a ton for your opinion!

1 decade ago

if longevity is your concern, I'd shift half of the budget you were considering for a GTX780 6GB into upgrading to a i7 + 16GB instead. that would probably give you a longer-lasting platform, and possibly save something towards future upgrades. Also I'd consider an SSD drive: a 128GB is now fairly cheap and you could fit all the OS(s) + basic applications (not the steam library) in.
enjoy your new system:)

1 decade ago

You only need that much VRAM if you downsample your games from some insane resolutions or have modded Skyrim with a huuuuuge amount of texture mods.

1 decade ago

Reminder: Don't forget that DirectX 12 is coming.

1 decade ago

lol lack of directx11 on my gtx260 bothered me a lot :D

1 decade ago

I see. Forgot about that. You don't want to be like that old Mac Pro with HD 4870 screaming like "just 1 more series!!!"

1 decade ago

"NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all the DX11-class GPUs it has shipped; these belong to the Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell architectural families."

1 decade ago

It's something similar to "GPU supports DX 11.2 API, Hardware Feature Level 11_0."
And look like there're 2 new hardware features already mentioned here.

1 decade ago

Get a 770 with 4 GB ;)

1 decade ago

The GTX 770 can't even use the full 4GB, if you read up about it, you will find out that to be true.

The best choice would be the GTX 780 for now, or wait till the end of this year and grab a GTX 800 series card.

1 decade ago

2GB Vram is enough, 3GB Vram is a total insurance. Afaik, only games like battle field 4 running on ultra settings with triple monitor output require over 2GB Vram(BF4 on ultra with 3-monitor requires about 2.1G-2.5G Vram).

1 decade ago

thanks for your recommendation :)

1 decade ago

games don't even need a 780 yet, buying it now is an investment for the future also.

1 decade ago

that is what i am thinking about :)

1 decade ago

For me i'm running GTX770 OC with 4Gb vram. This much vram is total overkill, even with mods (except maybe skyrim but i have yet to come even close to needing the full 4gb). But as was said above i'm in it for the future proofing. At the moment there hasn't been one game i can't run with everything set as high as it goes. Just remember if you were running a GTX260 you will more than likely need to upgrade your power supply to something with a bit more grunt (i'm using a 750w).

1 decade ago

1200w power supply here... thanks for your recommendation :)

1 decade ago

Stay with the current 3GB one unless you're gaming with like 4 monitors or something then ya go for the 6GB :P

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

I don't even think the gtx 780 has a 6gb edition. However, I do have a gtx 780 superclocked with an overclock and man do I love it. Just make sure your processor does not bottleneck the card and make sure your psu can handle it.

Edit: Just found out that they do as of like a month ago XD. Anyways if your are using a multi-monitor set up then go for the 6GB. If not, go for the 3GB

1 decade ago

Radeon 290 non-X is a the better balance card. 4Gb Vram should be enough.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

You don't need over 4 GB IMO. Titanfall uses like 3 GB maxed out for example.

1 decade ago

Actually, in some cases, especially with Radeon cards, they will happily fill the whole VRAM, but it doesn't do anything.
If you limit the usage to only 2GB, the performance remains the same.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by frankyboy.