So I was playing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, while my card died :(. The left monitor went black and on the tighr primary monitor I saw still red and black vertical lines. I knew my computer was warking because i was still on skype with my friends who offcourse laughed at my poor helpless card :(.

Then i restarted the computer and as soon as the motherboards logo flashed, there were 2 green vertical lines just sitting there and latter after the bios the screen was back to its red and black lines :S. Is there a way to fix this ? RIP hd 6870, it was such a fast and goodloking card with its high performance cooling technology and we spent so much together that i dont know if I will ever be able to use another card :(.

No, but seriously is the card completly dead or it can be fixed ?

EDIT: I cooked the graphic card and now it works :D

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

It's usually impossible to repair such things, but it doesn't have to be GFX card, it can be motherboard.

9 years ago

i immediatly removed the graphic card and im am now using the integrated card and sadly it works :( tnx for helping

9 years ago

I think he means it could be the PCI-E Slot itself, though this is not a common failure. Your motherboard's on-board graphics are controlled separately... so just because your on-board graphics are working does not mean that the PCI-E ports are. You may want to try to update your motherboards chipset drivers and the GPUs graphics driver. Also you may want to try a second PCI-E slot if your motherboard has one, and try the card in "Known Good" PC. One other thing, if you have had the card out of the PC for a while try putting it back in. If it works well for a little while then craps out on you, then heat is most likely the culprit... you could take all the plastics off, clean the thermal past off.. reapply, rebuild, and retry.

9 years ago

I guess im gonna go and try the card in my friends PC then, tnx.

9 years ago

u can try a second pci slot in your mobo. if it still messes up its more than likely the card. if it works then its the pci slot not the whole mobo. this happened to my nephews pc. changed slots and all good

9 years ago

i have an ASrock H67M which only has one slot. I really hope thats its the slot since the motherboard is much cheaper than the card

9 years ago

tell us the news i wondered what happened

9 years ago

very unlikely. slots usually break by removing/putting in cards, not whilst playing

9 years ago

It is the GFX, i had this problem with my GeForce 8500 half a year ago, and it couldn't be saved, from then on i have GeForce GT 630 2GB :)

I'm Sorry for your GFX xdwonder :/

R.I.P. xdwonder's AMD Radeon HD 6870 (20??-2014)

9 years ago

I had a similar problem with my Ge Force 9600 a couple of years ago. I tried the 'baking' method and it worked for about 4 months afterwards, then died completely.

If you have to buy a new card anyway, it's a method worth considering before forking out.

9 years ago

try it in another PC, if it doesn't work, it's dead. Fixing a card is... extremely complex I guess, you're better off buying a new card.

9 years ago

i tried running my pc without it and it work :( tnx for helping tho

9 years ago

Theoretically you could try to reflow it that is, remove plastic components and put it in oven at certain temperature. Might help, might not.

9 years ago

lol

9 years ago

Why are you laughing?

9 years ago

The mental image of putting a graphics card in the oven is kind of funny...

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

9 years ago

i dont even..... :(

9 years ago

Yep it actually works(often).

9 years ago

This is actually true. I lol at the ignorant people that lol at it.

9 years ago

I lol at it, and I've done it to fix a 9800GTX, and two xbox 360s. Just because it works doesn't make it not funny.

9 years ago

I have also done this to fix a card. I posted higher up before I read this thread.

9 years ago

Remove all plastic and put it in oven. Won't help in long term but as a temporary fix it will be good enough. But you will need to get new card anyway.

9 years ago

Make it a custom Tombstone :( and upload the picture somewhere.

9 years ago

thats acctualy a nice idea

9 years ago

Remove all plastic parts like cooler and then put into the oven at a certain temperature :) It might help :)

Guide

9 years ago

so many people saying that and it just sound so stupid that it might work :)

9 years ago

It's commonly called the "oven trick", and it definitely works in some cases.

9 years ago

Baking boards is actually quite common... but the outcome is very uncertain... It may fix the issue for a day or 3 years or it just might not do anything. This should always be a last resort.

9 years ago

The reballing of the PS3 used to be like that --> http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=30305

9 years ago

Heres a link for a guide :) Guide So just to explain what happens: Its called a rebaling process where you melt the solders (they may have been bad resaulting in a bad contact between parts) and when you let it cool, the solder drys and may get better contact betwen components :)

9 years ago

Is it still under warranty? Most cards seem to have 3 year warranties these days, and a few even have 5 year ones.

9 years ago

yes but i have warranty for the whole computer which basically means that i d be without a computer for 1,5 month which is just horrible

9 years ago

that's why you should build PC by yourself

9 years ago

+1000

9 years ago

+(unsigned long long int) -1

9 years ago

You may want to check the stipulations of your warranty, if you do something to void it and a more expensive part goes out on you later you may regret it.

9 years ago

I had something similar a few years ago, but when my friend tried my GFX in his PC, it worked perfectly. Tried it in mine, wouldn't work at all. Back into his PC again, it worked. Turns out my PCI-e slots were fried.

9 years ago

I noticed that the game of Nvidia seriously damages GPU from AMD. I play this game I have big declines FPS when saving! My PC Intel Pentium G860 3.0 Ghz GPU AMD Radeon HD 7770 1gb and 8GB. Check warranty! GPU from AMD have about three years warranty.

I join with you in sorrow and compassion. [*]

9 years ago

mine is 7 year under warranty ...

9 years ago

The game is deliberately attempting to ruin your low-end graphics card because it's an AMD card? That makes total sense. You should consider turning some settings down if you haven't already. It's supposedly quite a demanding game.

9 years ago

your cpu and graphicscard are shit. maybe thats why youre sturggeling on fps^^

9 years ago

Time for oven baking time!

9 years ago

This. I always wanted to try this but all of my cards either fail during warranty or not before I replace them. I heared it works quite often though! Baking time ftw! :D

9 years ago

It worked very well for me...I already did this 4x in my 8800GT :)

9 years ago

Did you ever overclock anything? The PCI-E bus will quickly and easily fry when overclocked.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

9 years ago

No Nvidia and no titan will ever be able to replace her :(

9 years ago

If it's no longer under warranty then maybe try baking it as others have suggested. I've seen it work with some components. At this point what do you have to lose?

My 6870 was a nice card right up until I replaced it with a 7870. I put it back in the original retail box where it sits to this day, waiting to find a new purpose in life. The 7870 has since been retired and also is looking for a new home and someone to love it.

9 years ago

Free 7870? I'll take it!

9 years ago

I mean, if you wish to give the 7870 a new home, I would be more than willing to give him one.

9 years ago

I am still running my HD 5870 and it runs all games with no problems at max graphics.

I thought it was funny that an older card was technically superior to the newer ones. AMD even admitted it when the 6xxx series was released. I have not checked/compared to newer cards as my card still works and I have a spare working HD 5870 in its box.

My mother board failed and as I was and am under replacement warranty the gave me a new computer with a 6870. The 6870 could not run my monitors so they had to either find a HD 5870 (which the did) or provide crossfire 6990. lol

9 years ago

Finally, they make a card after 8 years that has better specs than mine in most categories. The:

XFX RADEON Double D R9 280X 1000MHz BOOST Ready 3GB DDR5 2XmDP HDMI 2XDVI Graphics Cards R9-280X-TDFD

Only problem is it requires a 40% larger power supply and when all is said and done both cards have the exact same pixel fill rate, so are equally good at anti-aliasing, and they both can handle the same screen resolutions. So save the power/heat and use the HD 5870.

9 years ago

It happened to me 1 month ago... my Radeon HD 6850 died while playing and I had similar problems (graphical artifacts/ flickering).
You'll have to buy a new VGA.
Best of luck to you! :)

9 years ago

tnx, but right now im stuck on the hd 4650, since I dont have much money :S

9 years ago

I feel your pain.
I've been stuck using this ATI Radeon HD 4650 (1 GB DDR2) video card for awhile.

I've been trying to save up for an R9 card for months.

9 years ago

Cards these days are so goddamn expensive.

9 years ago

True. They seem to cost a lot when you're still trying to find a job too (like I am).

This is the card I am looking at to get.

If I somehow got alot more money, i'd bump it up to an R9 290X, but the R9 270x would be good enough for anything i'd want to do.

9 years ago

at least you re at a point, where you can look for job. I still need 1 more year in computer high school and then like 4 year of collage + my countrys economy has recently gone to shit so its hard to find a summer job.
Thats quite an expensive card. How long do you think that it would hold up, before replacing it ?

9 years ago

The 4650? I've been using it since 2011 and it's still working.
If that somehow died before I could get the R9, then i'd be stuck using onboard video (which games i can play now would greatly suffer then).

If and when I'd get the R9? It would probably be awhile.

Unlike some people, i won't be turning AA on max (never really noticed a difference with it, other than less FPS), and my Monitor is capped at 1600 x 1200.

I probably wouldn't replace the R9 (when I get it) until it died, or it's becoming the minimum requirements for games (which will probably be awhile).

For Years i've always had to sacrifice graphics for more fps, so i'm not somebody who needs to max everything out.
I see it as more of a bonus i could, but moreso would like the smoother gameplay (at least 60 FPS).

9 years ago

Yeah i ussualy dont mind sacrificing graphics for fps, but with this hd 4650 turning down cs go resolution from 1080p to 720p is just a bit sad, its like im playing an xbox :(. Not to mention that yesterday before the card died I bought need for speed hot pursuit which i now have to run on almost the lowest resolution possible and it doesnt look the best to say the least :D

9 years ago

On my current card, i can't play much of anything newer.

Examples:
Payday The Heist 2 - @ 800 x 600 and BARELY get 20 to 25 FPS.
Dark Souls - Barely 15 to 20 FPS
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Lucky to get 30 FPS.
Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - I can get closer to 60 FPS, if I have it @ 800 x 600, but it varies from level to level.
Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - lags way worse. Barely get 30 fps.
countless others I barely get 30 FPS on.

Only games I can play at least 720p on (without lag) are Valve's Source Games (L4D2, Portal 2, etc.)
Never played CS Go, but did play CS: Source awhile ago.

I honestly had no interest in CS:GO.

I also remember back in 2005 i think, i used every graphical tweak possible to try to play Doom 3.
(I was using a slow Single Core, DDR1 RAM, and low video card at the time. I upgraded to Quad Core, 4 GB of RAM [have 8 GB now] in 2011.)

I did everything i could to gain more FPS, at the cost of graphics.
Even then i still struggled, but made it work with what i had.

Hopefully, i will get a call for a 2nd interview soon, i can get a job then and start saving up money for that video card.
Then I won't have to worry about "can i run this game" for awhile at least.

Edit: Fixed Line breaking.

9 years ago

Well i have a same card now if that makes you feel any better :D. Hope you interview get well and you ll soon get a job

9 years ago

Yeah, me too.

But Wal-Mart is taking their time (already been 1 1/2 MONTHS since the 1st interview, which they said they WOULD be calling me for a 2nd).

Since they're taking too long, applying to a few other places right now, that would probably have a faster process.

9 years ago

Ouch. I have the same GPU, it's a... Excuse the expression, real pain in the ass.

9 years ago

I need my trusty old XFX HD 6870 Black Edition to die on me to give me an excuse to upgrade to an R9 290X or something. But the old warhorse just keeps battling on.

9 years ago

Everyone's talking about their good graphics cards, while I'm here with an Intel HD card.

9 years ago

I feel where you're coming from with integrated graphics.

9 years ago

Ha, Ive gone from a 460 -> Intel HD -> 560TI -> Intel HD -> 670 -> Intel HD -> 670 x2...

:|

Prob end up going back to Intel HD again since Im trying to sell my 670s.

9 years ago

Intel HD isn't a card.

9 years ago

Fake, AMD cards never dies.

9 years ago

if only you were right :(

9 years ago

I am !

9 years ago

I agree. I still am even running an AMD 800 in one of my old gaming computers. Heck I am still running Zork on my 1970's PC-Dos machine.

9 years ago

My 6870 is fine, but the fans for it are quite dead. So it's just an unusable green bar that I cba to spend money on. This r9 270 is quite awesome though. :D

9 years ago

Sorry for your loss. We often realize our appreciation for things when we lose them.

9 years ago

True.

9 years ago

I have the same amd radeon 6870 card, and it kinda broke a little bit few months ago. Getting lower fps in games, screen tearing and its temperature rises more than usually. Bought Sapphire r9 290 and it broke in one day :D => back to my old 6870

9 years ago

That sucks, but on the bright side, now you get to go shopping for a shiny new graphics card!

9 years ago

rip in piece

9 years ago

I'm playing The Bureau XCOM Declassified and I find this offensive.
Seriously mate, I'm sorry for your loss but I think there isn't much left to do...

9 years ago

Your game just broke my card :D. Yes it is in a better place now :(

9 years ago

WTF I have been playing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and my card (nvidia GTS 450) also died!

9 years ago

I think that if I get a new card i ll just watch lets plays of it and not play it myself :D

9 years ago

I wanna lick the ass in the picture.

9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago by xdwonder.