Whenever I run a very demanding game, I tend to get CPU temps in the low to high 70's in celsius on my CPU. My CPU is a AMD 8 Core FX 8320 at 3.5 GHz. HOWEVER, my PC is VERY easy to cool down. As only after about 5 minutes of turning the game off, my CPU stays around >35 degrees celsius. Is this good or bad? Thanks! (This is a desktop)

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

75 is usual... the guarantee covers up to 95, if I'm not mistaken.
however, to extend lifetime you should cool down further.
My cpu/gpu usually stays around 55C (however, it is a intel one... so comparison is not appropriate)

9 years ago

Lol I have a laptop that I've had since last February and it gets to like 80 degrees Celsius when playing Minecraft and using Skype. It has an intel processor. .-.

9 years ago

and no videoboard? =)
if the proc is doing ALL the work it will heat like hell... but on my i5 i can oc and it still doesnt passes 70, with stock fan.... (soon to be upgraded to water cooling)

9 years ago

It is bad, u should learn about proper air flow

9 years ago

Like I said, it cools down fairly quickly. I just quit M+B warband and it's already at 27 degrees celsius. (after about 10 mins of quitting)

9 years ago

70 degrees on heavy load means smth is wrong, as maximum socket temperature is 70 degrees, and AMD recommended is 62 if i am not mistaken. Also, how do you measure it?

9 years ago

Core Temp, is there a better program? Speedfan actually tells me HIGHER temps than core temp... :/ Also, the motherboard says on bootup, (turning it on the first time of the day) It says above 78 degrees CELSIUS. WTF

9 years ago

Check for heavy dust/replace thermal paste, my general advice.

9 years ago

It's a brand new PC...

9 years ago

Check CPU cooler for gapping. It happens.

OR it may have overrated auto voltage.

9 years ago

What? I have no idea what gapping is or auto voltage... lol

9 years ago

Ok. No more advices from me to avoid future harm.

9 years ago

Lol I'm sorry for being stupid :/ Just the question I'm really wondering is, will my computer self destruct and cause a black hole to obliterate the sun and cause mass destruction? (Will it die)

9 years ago

By "gapping" he means there may be space between the stock cooler and your processor where they don't make contact. The contact between the two is necessary to effectively transfer heat from the processor to the cooler.

By overrated auto voltage he means that your motherboard may possibly be pushing more voltage than necessary into your processor which would cause higher temperatures.

9 years ago

no it wont make a black hole ... u need particales moving at extremely high speed and colliding into each other,not electricity that flows in one direction LOL

9 years ago

Speedfan tells you motherboard socket temps, coretemp tells you the temp of the cores inside the processor.

Speedfan needs to be configured to use then cores temp if you want it. AMD overdrive will tell you the core temp as well, for comparison.

9 years ago

75c sounds reasonable considering stock coolers are absolute shit.

9 years ago

considering stock thermal paste are absolute shit

9 years ago

Is Arctic Silver 5 "shit"?

9 years ago

usuallystock thermal paste is not artic silver. =P
artic silver is not shit
edit* actually, is there any stock cpu that comes with artic silver? As far as I now there is not... but i can be easily mistaken

9 years ago

Arctic Silver 5 is a fine thermal compound. Are you asking because that's what has been applied to your processor or out of curiosity?

9 years ago

No, I have arctic silver from when I tried to repair my Xbox 360. No I didn't build this PC.

9 years ago

Nice! In response to your other thread I'd say it's safe. Just make sure not to get it on any other components or put too much on! Give it a shot! :)

9 years ago

It's quite normal imo.
I'm already using thermal paste and it stays around 70-75 celcius when playing demanding games.
And I'm using AMD processor.

9 years ago

Are you using the stock heatsink? The heatsink/fans that come with the FX chips are crap..

9 years ago

Yep

9 years ago

Apparently it starts to throttle around 70c, and some cores turn off around that temp, max core temp 61.1, max socket temp 70, according to what was said in this thread and other places. Yea, I'd just get a $30 Hyper 212EVO(great price/performance) and call it a day, you're burnin up there.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

9 years ago

Your laptop will probably explode sooner or later, specifically the battery, from all that heat.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

9 years ago

What's good at least is this isn't exactly getting hot enough to the point where the computer shuts down.

9 years ago

That sounds high, you may wish to consider investing in some better cooling.

9 years ago

I know the FX series runs a bit hotter but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with temps hitting high 70s. 'Gaming' laptop it's a bit understandable but not a desktop imo.

Might want to get a new CPU cooler like venomblade said.

9 years ago

Well, is it really that threatening when I only game for about an hour or so then close it down for a bit letting it cool down?

9 years ago

High 70s isn't desirable but it's doubtful that your CPU will just crap out on you because of it.

If I was in your shoes I'd lower my settings in games for the time being until I could get an aftermarket CPU cooler.

9 years ago

Temps should top out at max load within a few minutes. If they keep going up that indicates poor airflow in your case. Make sure the cooler isn't clogged with dust and that the case fans are clear and logical, EG not all blowing "in".

9 years ago

It's a brand new PC... and I check it for dust frequently

9 years ago

Seems normal, assuming these 70°C are while playing a demanding game with a stock CPU cooler. To be sure, check your manual for the recommended temperatures for your CPU, and use a program like HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) while playing to check for the exact temperatures of your cores and the RPM of the fan of your CPU cooler (to check if it's working properly). If they keep between the recommended values, everything should be okay. I also get those temperatures (65°C - 75°C) while playing some games during the summer because where I live is kind of hot (and too cold during winter :P).

To prevent high temperatures, make sure your system has good ventilation, and good working fans. Also, keep your hardware clean and do proper maintenance every once in a while. The dust is dangerous. Too much in the fans or inside your desktop increases the temperatures of your hardware.

Also, you saying that the temperature decreases really fast to normal values is a good sign that everything is working as it should, but only if it takes seconds (should be less than 5 to 10 seconds) and not over a minute.

9 years ago

Nope, i did have the same proc as you but now i use an apu 6600k, and you temp is strange, first of all, is it on overclock? Second, how much thermal paste did you used? sometimes ppl put too much, last one, check your airflow, no matter how good is the case, if the airflow is messed it will not work properly.

Good luck, you proc should run 60~65 ingame more than that and theres something wrong.

9 years ago

It's an acceptable temperature but it is on the high side. If you're really worried consider checking into the airflow of your system and/or replacing the stock cooler (if you know what you're doing).

I'm not sure if you're using a discrete graphics card in your system but if you aren't then I can imagine that your processor would run warmer.

9 years ago

I had 100 degrees on my laptop and video card, still works, if you're curious.

9 years ago

Thats bad. I think that 62c was the recommended maximum safe temperature for FX processors.

I have a FX 6300 and Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler. Do you have fan in back of your PC case? My temperatures with FX 6300 went to 60c while gaming when I didn't have rear exhaust fan that pushed air out of case, but when I bought one my temperatures are now 40c-50c while gaming. It's very important to have one case fan to push air into your case(in front) and one to push out(in back). Also you MUST buy aftermarket CPU cooler, because stock ones are crappy and AMD processors tend to run hotter and have lower safe temperature limit.

9 years ago

you are wrong, 62c is definetly not the recommended safe temp. it's an ideal temp, but the cpu's can handle a lot higher temps than that.

9 years ago

It's far from ideal.

Intel CPU can handle larger temps than AMD. Over 62c on FX CPU you can start to do damage to your CPU and it's life time is significantly going down. AMD officially said that 62c is maximum recommended temp before you start to damage your CPU.

9 years ago

AMD suggests 62c as the safe max temp for that CPU mate. Yes, the cpu should be able to hand higher temps, thats like saying a passenger plane can handle doing loops every day because it managed one once.

9 years ago

You're getting temps of 50c with a closed loop cooler on your FX-6300?

I have the same exact CPU with it's stock cooler and I get the same temps and my entire rig is air cooled (5 fans in total including the CPU and GPU fans).

Something doesn't seem right if we're getting the same CPU temps yet you have a closed loop water cooling unit and I'm just running stock fans. o_O

9 years ago

Looking at your profile you haven't played any graphically, CPU intensive game. I'm talking about Crysis 3, BF4, Watch Dogs, Metro LL, Arma 3 and shit like that where it reaches 48-50 which is my maximum.

9 years ago

I've played more games than those listed on my Steam profile. o_O

9 years ago

It's a little too hot for the CPU, you should think on getting a better cooling in general.

AMDs are hotter than intels and they come with shitty stock heatsinks, so the first step is getting a better heatsink with a decent (silver) thermal paste.

Check the air flow inside your case and correct if necessary. Having a good case that can hide 95% of the cables helps a ton.

9 years ago

my other computer overheats at startup :) 100 degrees Celsius

9 years ago

the 8320 is expected 65-75 during load on a stock cooler. It's not "too hot" as everyone is saying, it's just uncomfortably hot. It won't damage your hardware short term, maybe long term (7+ years) but that shouldn't matter too much.

I'd personally seek out better cooling (something like the hyper 212 is cheap) just for the sake of it, but it's not damaging anything to run it like that on the stock heatsink. It's not raising ambient that much because it doesn't transfer heat well, and it's not ruining your processor, but it is limiting you from any overclocking and/or super long sessions.

9 years ago

7+ years? I just need it to run for 3... lol

9 years ago

Exactly. That's why I said it shouldn't matter too much.

9 years ago

FX 8350 owner here - they are not recommended to run that hot. I am afraid you are at risk of damage or at the very least shortening the life of your cpu/cpu socket/motherboard. I cannot recommend to you enough to check into getting a Coolermaster Hyper 212 - it will get your max temps in the 50c range. My temps on my computer max out around 55C when playing the most demanding games. When it comes to pc's heat is your worst enemy in regards to your performance, lifespan and components. The stock coolers that come with the FX line of cpu's are a laughing stock of the industry. I honestly think they expect you to get an aftermarket cpu cooler. The Hyper 212 costs $25-30 and is worth every penny. Good luck and if you have any questions or need help changing coolers hit me up anytime.

9 years ago

Hmm, I was about to call bullshit on your claim, but looking it up, suggest max temp is 61c. That is insanely low. My i5's tjmax is 105c. Damn AMD.

9 years ago

My TJmax is 80 :/

9 years ago

It is not okay, it's normal and expected if you're using the stock cooler, though. AMD processors can withstand more temperature, but you should really get something like an 212.

9 years ago

I am having literally the same problem at the moment. Got new computer with same proc and my temp went to 83C max. I managed to lower the temp to 72C max with Hyper 212 Evo but I still think it's a bit too hot. I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Could it be manufacturing error or it's just a kind of proc that likes to run hot.

EDIT: If you are considering getting heat sink (Hyper 212 Evo is currently best cost/efficiency solution), a plus side of it is that it is a lot quieter than the little stock bastard on the AMD proc.

9 years ago

Thats not good - like I said in a previous post mine maxes out in the mid 50C range in a room that sometimes is not air conditioned properly. Yours should not run that hot in a proper setup with good airflow and ventilation. How is your case and cooling fan setup? Did you use a good thermal paste? Have you tried re-seating the cpu cooler to make sure its installed properly? Its not impossible that you have a manufacturing defect but is more likely something to do with your systems cooling configuration.

9 years ago

My case is unlikely the problem as the temperature goes down by 10C in a matter of seconds after I exit game so it means the air flow shouldn't be the cause. Good thermal paste will only do so much (will drop temp only by few degrees) and as far as the CPU cooler installation, I just installed Hyper 212 Evo and I had the same problem with stock cooler too, so there's a very little chance that both of them were installed incorrectly.

9 years ago

The EVO is a great cooler but the fans that they have been using in the most recent models start the "clicking of death" sound after about 8-10 months, sooner if your PC runs 24/7. I recommend the Noctua NF-F12 PWM as a replacement. It is quieter and even though it runs 300 RPM slower at full speed than the stock EVO fan it keeps my processor at the same temp it always had. Use the stock EVO mounts though, as is also directed by the manufacturer. The rubber mounts are for case mounting.

9 years ago

just get a cooler master after market cooler

even AMD themselves for the FX above 63050 they tend to suggest after market those are not dangerous temps but it will shorten the life of the cpu the cool you can run it the more miles you can get out of your hardware and the cooler your case will be over all and the better over clocks you may get

really though the 8320 is a terrible cpu for the price it really is not much faster then a 6300 and runs hotter and uses more electric for so little gain but none the less you have it so use it

now if you have the flagship cpu they do not even send a cooler with it lol they push water cooling for it

the other thing is the hotter the cpu runs the more heat it blows the hotter it makes everything else in your case

if you can do what i did i got the hyper 212 just a heads up though you can add 2 fans to it but really it does no good as far as making it cooler then one fan but even with that cpu with a after market cooler it should still be in the 60c range under load

i know on my 6300 it idles at around 25c and max load is around 52c your mileage will very depending on room temp and case flow as i also have a haf 912 and since i keep it cool in the room it cools really good i also have the cpu fan blowing down to blow air on the gpu as it keeps so cool that it actually lowers the gpu temps

70c is equal to 158f so imo i would not be happy with that you should get a lot better then that as the 8320 is the same as the 6300 it just added 2 core and for some reason it is 125watts vs 100 for 6300 my guess the extra cores

none the less get a hyper 212 the stock fan is noisy anyhow

9 years ago

I use speedfan to check my temp. I personally get unhappy when my cpu goes higher than 60 C in normal circomstances. When my (intel) cpu gets 80 or higher I notice it starting to run slower. (I have a laptop and the heatsink gets dusty at times) 75 celcius isn't in any danger to burn out but it isn't cool either. I've always had intel cpu's so excuse me if im mistaken :)

9 years ago

I have 8320, Freezer 13 Pro working on max and open case and I get 75-79 in heavy games on pretty high settings anyway, but still it never hits 80 TJ Max (and run into <24 C for a 30 seconds or something after exiting the game), I think it's some kind of a tricky shit for 8320, maybe this one isn't really heats so much it shows.

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.