Road World Championships - Individual Time Trial 2017

Completely forgot about this on Sunday so it's rather late, apologies!

How it works

Predict who is going to win the race; that's all. Entries close when the race starts. Since it's a one day race just enter your predictions below.

Once the cycling and Formula One seasons have finished I will create a special winner's event for everyone who correctly predicted a race giving them a shot at some nice games.

Race Preview

This year the World Championships are in Bergen, Norway and they gave us a rather interesting Individual Time Trial (ITT). It's quite short compared to previous ones (31 km) and it ends with a very steep uphill finish (on "Mount Floyen"). This to the anger of reigning ITT world champion Tony Martin; his chances of a 5th title (which would be a record) are quite slim.

Sites
Wikipedia

Favorites

• There are two top favorites for this one and Tom Dumoulin is one of them. He won the Giro this year and had plans to also do the Vuelta but decided to skip it to completely focus on the World Championships. And with success already as Team Sunweb won the Team Time Trial (and the women's TTT); to the surprise of many. He lost the Olympic Time Trial to Chris Froome (his fall in Tour last year might have something to do with that) so he'll be looking to come out on top this time.
  • We've already mentioned the other top favorite; Chris Froome. He won the Tour and the Vuelta this year; for a large part cause of his victories in the time trails there. Will those Grand Tours have sapped the energy from him; it seems unlikely.
  • Another possible title contender is Wilco Kelderman; another Team Sunweb rider. His Vuelta was ok; he missed the podium by a bit but he was the only one close to Froome in the ITT.
  • Ilnur Zakarin certainly deserves a mention as well; he's been doing quite well recently.
  • Then there's Primož Roglič; his Tour de France ITT's were so disappointing, not at all what anyone expected up front. He certainly gave his maiden Tour a shine by winning a regular stage though. Will the former ski jumper land on the podium?
  • Rohan Dennis isn't the greatest uphill but if you look at his results this year; he's certainly improving.
  • There's a few more riders who could have their day; Michał Kwiatkowski, Bob Jungels, Tejay van Garderen, I'm sure you could name a few more.

Women's Race Preview

I can't help but mention the women's ITT (which starts in an hour!) as well, cause the two favorites there are both Dutch. :D
Annemiek van Vleuten and Anna van der Breggen are the ones everyone is looking at this year though we shouldn't discount 2015 world champion Linda Villumsen.

Any time I see Annemiek van Vleuten I can't help but remember her horrific crash in the Rio Olympic road race; it took such a long time for news of her condition to be made public and I was fearing for her life as the crash (replayed in slow motion on tv) looked to have broken her neck. Fortunately it turned out it wasn't as bad as it looked. She made an amazing recovery and was back on her bike in no time. Anna van der Breggen went on to win that Olympic road race; it sure was a rollercoaster of emotions.

Giveaways

Steam Giveaway
Trauma https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/nkVFT/
Bermuda https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/kQXfM/
View attached image.
View attached image.
6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Don't know about the races but have a bump.

6 years ago

I'm going for Tom Dumoulin and oranje! :-)

And Froome for silver. ;-)

6 years ago

Dumoulin, Roglic and Froome.

6 years ago

Tony Martin
F*** that hill! (ಠ_ಠ)

6 years ago

OK, this time my choice is my compatriot, Michał Kwiatkowski.

6 years ago

Tom Dumoulin

6 years ago

Peter Sagan

6 years ago

You might want to put that here. :)

6 years ago

Tom Dumoulin is World Champion! :D

Oranje boven! ^^

6 years ago

What a ride by Dumoulin. Completely destroyed his competition. If the race would have been 2 km longer he would have caught Froome.

6 years ago

Indeed, indeed! ^^

He came so close to double Froome.

And Dumoulin said in the after race interview that he will stay focused for the road race on Sunday.

6 years ago

Just like yesterday I wasn't able to see the race but I saw the highlights just now; what an incredible performance by Tom!

I expected a lot but this was beyond my expectations.

Also really happy for Roglič; he's shown what he's capable of and Team Lotto-Jumbo were right in putting their trust in him.

Now to make a prediction contest for Sunday!

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.