Monster Hunter World is coming to Steam next month and this game will be the first Monster Hunter installment to arrive on PC, so there's uncertainty how great using keyboard and mouse will feel like. There are free to play MH games on PC already, but they're limited to China and Japan; I have no way to contact those players in those games to ask about using KB+M nor do I think the games were developed by Capcom so to use the free to play versions for comparison would be unfair. To the point, I plan to buy a controller just in case the KB+M controls are unpleasant. I'm going for the cheapest Xbox controller which means the last generation Xbox 360 controller.

However, before I buy a 360 controller, what do I miss out on for the Xbox One controller other than a better D-pad?

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago*

What do you mean by accessory controllers? The ones with decals printed on them for special edition bundles?

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Also, I read the Xbox One controller has a micro USB on top. If I use a non-Xbox branded/"Cable for Windows" micro USB cable to connect the controller to my PC, will I still need to use AA batteries?

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Also, what do you think about third party controllers licensed by Microsoft?

AmazonBasics Xbox One controller

PowerA version

PDP version

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Grip is too subjective and minor as a criteria.

5 years ago

I'm going for the cheapest Xbox controller which means the last generation Xbox 360 controller.

Never buy the cheapest one -.-

5 years ago

but between 360 and one it's not going for the 'bad brand'. 360 controller being cheaper could mean is worst but not bad!

5 years ago

While I got no answer to your question as I never owned an XBOne controller, I have had a pair of x360 controllers for 11 years and they are still in great condition so I would say it is a pretty reliable piece of hardware=) the battery packs I purchased with a plug n play kit died about 2 years ago, so I had to go back to using AA batteries

Best of luck hunting them monsters!

5 years ago

I have a 360 and works perfect. Some buttons on the D-Pad seems to be tougher but maybe needs cleaning and it's not broken. The receptor was a complete mess. Official microsoft broke after some months and the chinese one is still working.

I have touched a one pad, only for a minute or so, and the feeling of the buttons seems to be better but I can't talk about it. I think it's better but the 360 it's not a bad choice.

5 years ago

I haven't used an XBox One controller yet, but I can confirm that XB360's D-pad is just jank, it happens waaaay too often that pressing a right presses right and/or down, for example. And way too often means like once in every 5-10 uses, it's annoying even with Dark Souls, that doesn't use D-pad that often - or in a hurry.

5 years ago

360 is better. Simple reason: D-pad. One has 8 directions, 360 has all 360 degrees, it's crucial in PvP.

5 years ago

I'm pretty sure the 360 pad does not have 360-degree-movement. I remember seeing the inside of the controller on a website, and you could see the digital pads there.

5 years ago

Totally not. The 360's D-pad has 8 directions like all the others controller.
Otherwise it would be... an analog stick.

5 years ago

I just solved that last week... I had the same problem because I left my 360 controller in Brazil and wasn`t sure if it was worth buying the xbox one.

On the pro side, as the first reply said., it has way better sticks and it is slighly larger, so it is more comfortable in comparison to the 360.

However, too many reviews complain about the usb connection (which easily interrupts connection or fail to connect to windows). So if you plan to play exclusively wired, and you are unlucky as the reviews, I would suggest you to avoid it.
I didn`t have any problem yet (i have it for 3 days), but I am getting rechargeable batteries to make life easier.

5 years ago

I use the One controller all the time in wired mode and to solve connectivity issues i had to update its firmware through the Xbox app on W10 and then installing the lastest official drivers. Never had any problems since then.

5 years ago

good to know it is kind of solved then.
I was afraid of screwing the usb connection up because, even though it has bluetooth, any firmware update goes only by cable... (at least the app didn`t allow me to do it wirelessly).
But thanks for the update.
Amazon reviews are a bit dodgy sometimes because it doesnt clean up over the years (i think on amazon uk they left all reviews since the previous model (2013) together... so any fixed problem is still there to mislead us).

5 years ago

Besides the One controller having better ergonomics and a higher-end feels, 360 controllers tend to have cable issues. It happened with mine after a bit over 2 years and I know a few people who experienced the same thing. The controller would keep connecting and disconnecting everytime the cable moved just a little. Since the cable is built-in you cannot easily replace it.
If you want to buy the wireless 360 controller you will need to buy the Microsoft receiver as well and it will end up costing as much as a One controller (if you don't have bluetooth on your PC you can just buy any bluetooth dongle, you don't need the Microsoft receiver for the One controller). Also you cannot use a cable to play wired with a wireless 360 controller while the One controller allows both.

5 years ago

I decided to buy the Xbox One controller then possibly in the future.

5 years ago

I don't have a One Controller but hold one in the hand.
It feels much better than the 360 controller and they improved the D-pad.
Depending on how much more a One Controller costs in your country i would get this one but a 360 is not bad either.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Haven’t tried the xbone one, but the 360’s pretty decent, just make sure you get the wired one for windows if you only gon use it for MHW yeahh

5 years ago

Did you have any problems with the 360 wired controller constantly losing connection as TempeteJoachim mentioned?

https://www.steamgifts.com/go/comment/5KPDjx5

5 years ago

I just got a new one recently, so no issues as of now, problem is I’m not even sure it’s genuine sadly, I got it at a bargain so I’m not really concerned if it really is bootleg, but I did have a genuine one which lasted years, no issues, just the sticks got a bit of the best of me from my Dark Souls 3 smashing. What I feel is depends on your budget, if you can find a nice deal on the wired for windows 360, go ahead, I DO NOT recommend getting the wireless as my many wireless 360 controllers always end up spoiling from battery leakage (very common problem), which I fear might also be a problem with the xbone wireless as well do note since it uses batteries right? The wired 360 will last you a good while, but if the price isn’t that different from a xbone, might as well get latest tech(?) they did probably improve it for a reason or something (I personally have a xbox360 so when I had wanted to get the xbone controller, I tot that since I had a 360, might as well use it for both pc and Xbox if I ever want to go back to using my Xbox360 that is)

5 years ago

I much prefer the Xbox One controller over the 360. The D-pad is actually usable, and the overall feel is less clunky.

5 years ago

Aside from the obvious improvement over the D-pad, the One controller works out of the box in wireless mode due to bluetooth compatibility (at least for the revisioned model, the one with the upper bar with the opaque finish instead of being glossy) without having to buy an external adapter. It also supports the Play & Charger kit (which can be available for very low online) so you have a rechargable battery with a very long life without using AA batteries. Better ergonomics, the analog sticks are slightly more precise, it works flawlessly with almost all games (and in games where it doesn't, probably other controllers won't work either), it's very durable because of its construction quality (something that the Dualshock 4 is very lacking) and all the buttons have a distinct feedback when pressed. It's really a blessing and as a plus it's available in lots of colors and it's also easily moddable with third party components.

The only downside that i have found is that the ABXY buttons are quite noisy when pressed, i can still hear clicks even when using headphones .

5 years ago

Look, I've got 360 controllers, they're great! They're awesome! I recommend them for everyone who wants to get a controller for the PC. But it comes with a big caveat: I was doing a lot of controller based gaming for a bit and realized I was sucking up batteries faster than I liked, so I was considering getting a play and charge kit... but it's just not available any more. The only controller accessories you can get is remaining stock of questionably quality third party stuff from suppliers that really scrape the bottom of the barrel to get stuff to sell.

Remember, it's not just about the controller and the controller NOW, it's about the controller and everything related to it over the entire lifetime of the device. From that perspective the 360 controller might still be great, but it's a geriatric angry uncle in the old folks home with absolutely no future.

Of course this doesn't make it a clear choice - you still have to weigh how much this matters to you. That's what I did when I bought my last one... and I feel I made the wrong choice. Just saying that this should also weigh into your decision, because in addition to any/all improvements of the xbox one version it's a modern device, with all that implies in support from manufacturers and marketplace and availability of parts, repairs and accessories.

5 years ago

I have a 360 wireless controller and I have been happy with it so far, but it seems like it would be worthwhile upgrading to an Xbox One controller. But what of compatibility ? This is a big deciding factor for me, are they compatible with all games already supporting a 360 controller or they only work with recent games ?

5 years ago

Both controllers have native support from almost all games, as they use the same API. If it works with the 360 one, it will work with the One controller.

5 years ago

Wonderful, this is good to know, thanks.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.