Kinda expensive.

Info
Store

1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Ordered! Yesterday...

It is not that bad, considering it comes with power supply. And it is first party.

HP, Lenovo and Dell are same or lot more. So compared to those it really isn't bad.

1 year ago

I thought i heard people saying you even had them for 20-30, i dunno, probably all differ per brand, quality etc.
i hardly even used my steamdeck, so no rush for me.

1 year ago

Very basic ones yes, but if you want something comparable with this one you'll need still around 50$ for the dock itself and 20$ for a proper power adapter (which this dock does come with). So yeah it's a little bit overpriced but not hugely so.

1 year ago

Thanks.

1 year ago

Exactly. And the rest of the price difference I gladly paid for the assurance that this Dock will always work with the Deck, while others might have compatibility issues at some point.

1 year ago

yeah, no. There's nothing in Valve's Dock that guarantees compatibility with the Deck. It's like you'd say "I only buy Sony HDMI cables to be sure they'll work with my Sony TV"
Happy cakeday by the way :)

1 year ago

Ahem? I'm pretty sure that Valve will take care that their products work as intended and that a firmware or OS update doesn't interrupt the functionality. They will test it and if necessary update the Dock's firmware too. No idea why you question that.

1 year ago

I doubt there's any special Dock firmware. I bet it's just bog standard off the shelf USB controller. I wonder if someone's already done a teardown with a proper inspection of the IC's To that regard Valve might make software updates for the SteamOS that might somehow affect interoperability between the Deck and connected devices, however such updates would equally afftect the original Dock and any other devices using the same controller which I suspect is most USB-C docks in the market, at least ones with comperable features, since usually with those types of devices there's one manufacturer of the chips and everone's just using their stuff...

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Unlike your Sony cable example, Valve's dock made for a single item.

1 year ago

yeah, no. it'll work just as well with any other USB-C equipped computer. simply put accessories like that are, for the lack of better word, "device agnostic".
The only point of contention might be the plastic housing accomodating the electronic components, that in case of the Valve's Dock was desogned to accomodate resting the Steam Deck atop of it. However people are already making enclosures for third party USB-C docks that allow such resting position for the Deck. And there's nothing stopping you from dismantling the Valve's Dock and putting it's guts into a custom made enclosure that'd be better suited to a different device. Despite the fact, of course, that it'd be stupidly uneconimical since Valve's Dock is clearly overpriced.

1 year ago

HP, Lenovo and Dell are same or lot more. So compared to those it really isn't bad.

+1. I think the size distorts the Steam dock's value.

If there's a laptop dock new for $40-$60 or less that lives somewhere other than people's imaginations with all these modern connectors in it, then cool and yes the Steam dock would be a "worse" value, but I highly doubt it:

Peripherals
3 x USB-A 3.1 Gen1 Ports
Networking
Gigabit Ethernet
External displays
DisplayPort 1.4
HDMI 2.0
MST (Multi-Stream Transport) enabling multi-monitor support
Supports up to 4k 60hz, or 1440p 120hz
FreeSync support

If people who use Steam Deck only for portable uses, and they want to rag on the concept of having a fixed dock for a handheld device, sure I get it. But that doesn't mean it's a terrible overall value for everyone else.

1 year ago

lives somewhere other than people's imaginations

well, it does and it's like 2/3 of The Dock's price...
I don't want to go on arguing about quality here. I had neither of the two in hands and it'd be pretty unfair to both to make assumptions here. The matter of fact is - Valve's Dock is no super special technology nobody else has. It's off the shelf standards (probably in off the shelf components) just arranged in a neat package. Sure, the exact same combination of ports might be difficult to find right now, but not impossible, as the above link illustrates it'll only grow in numbers as copycats fly in to catch their share of the market again illustrated by the link above.
The bigger question here, IMO, is do you really need this exact combination? If you don't plan on using more than one external display one of many (cheaper) single video out docks might be a better choice seriously, everything like in Valve's Dock minus the DP seems to be like the default configuration for docks.... Or maybe you don't care about wired internet, since you're gonna be using wi-fi anyway? And what if you want to plug two monitors, but they are both HDMI, not DP. Now the official dock falls short and you have to fiddle with adapters while you could have just gone with a 3rd party dock that has 2 HDMIs natively...

1 year ago

The matter of fact is - Valve's Dock is no super special technology nobody else has. It's off the shelf standards (probably in off the shelf components) just arranged in a neat package.

Agreed, then it would appear that the difference in price between the non-Valve dock is the cost of the charger that is included with the Valve dock, as you pointed out in another comment, and the Valve/first party "tax" - Seems pretty simple to me.

If the charger would cost $20 separately, then the Valve tax is only $10 beyond non-Valve dock. ($60 non Valve + $20 charger + $10 Valve tax). So its not like the entire $30 is the Valve tax here, right?

1 year ago

idk, maybe? the question is what's a "fair" ammount of "Valve tax". And that is entirely personal...

1 year ago

Ok. The point is, the non-Valve dock does not come with a charger, but the Steam one does.

Therefore, at least part of the cost of the Valve dock covers the charger.

Yes, how much that charger is "worth" and/or how much buying the dock from Valve is "worth" to someone is up to the preference of the buyer.

1 year ago

No, thanks. I have a desktop. I bought Deck as a handheld device. That's how I intend to use it and I don't need a desktop replacement.
and Ouch! the price tag stings on this one. I was expecting it to go for more like 50-75% of that price... I guess they made Deck such a good deal and now want to recuperate a bit with the Dock...
But I have to commend them. Good guy Valve did the right thing and didn't follow industry trends blindly like the rest of the sheep companies. The Dock comes with its own damn charger! Thanks Gaben! Who cares that probably 99% of customers for that thing already has the Deck, which comes with it's own, identical charger! They still toss you another! And IMO it makes sense. I bet most ppl buying the dock would like to just set it at their desk and forget it, while still beeing portable with the Deck. Not having to fiddle with a bunch of wires everytime they want to take their Deck outside and then again when they return...
And after all, I'll probably go for it anyway. Not now, since TBH I blew like 120% of my budget on the Deck itself, but once I have some disposable income well, it's not just "some" with a price like that I probably will. Maybe it'll go on sale by that time. As I said I don't really have a need for it rn. Then why'd I take it? Idk I'm just a sucker like that, I guess. Mostly "just in case". Maybe I'll find myself in a need of turning Deck into a desktop 5 years down the line? And what then? Third-party?! No way man! I want my shiz !00% genuine legit original first hand dedicated primo merchandise! :D

1 year ago*

Thanks for sharing! I don't use it enough to justify the purchase at that price, even when I do use it it's for its flexibility so I see no need to dock it. Although I guess it may be nice down the road for modding maintenance on a big screen, would definitely be enticing if it goes on sale at some point.

1 year ago

Got a friend in UK to reserve one for like me 4 months ago, and it got there yesterday \o/ Scalpers in Norway are selling them for 12-20K NOK, when they cost 6K NOK (if they would be for sale in Norway..)

1 year ago

100€ for a dock saved! :D I sold my Deck after few days.
It felt like total waste of money when i had it in hands. Sold it with profit also... so win-win.

1 year ago

Also the reason, why would i play on a portable when i got this big monitor with keyboard and mouse already?

1 year ago

WHY?! :O
I was immediately in love when I got my hands on mine! Then, after a while, some neat picks arose here and there, sure. But I was expecting it to be a bit of a tinkere's toy and after another while and a bit of tinkering they were all gone and now Deck is like a part of me!

1 year ago

Why if you don't travel much or sit on the couch much and you got a bigger screen with keyboard and mouse? :p

I was planning to sit in the garden with the steamdeck, play in my bed, i touched it twice, once to try play 1 game that wasn't fully supported and the other to painstakingly install emu's one by one.

1 year ago

A big thing is also that like most people who travel still don't have the time to just play on a handheld. Someone has to drive or even if you're on a train, then usually that's a good time to get work done since if you're constantly travelling all the time for long stretches, then likely you're not doing it for a hobby.

Of course I'm not saying that can't be the case, but I feel like the idea of gaming while travelling is kinda overblown with its frequency.

1 year ago

Well, much depends on the use case. My friend actually got one as a dektop replacement. So yeah, big screen, keyboard & mouse, yet gamin on the Deck.

Gosh I was gonna play outside with the darn thing. By the time it got here I had so much stuff on my head I couldn't really do any "goin out". By the time I was mostly done with that, the weather out here gone to hell and it was no longer a good idea to go out. (like hell I'm gonna play on Deck in goddamn pouring rain...) Next summer then! that's what I'm gonna keep telling myself :D
But bed, yeah! I think I played the most in bed. dang the nightmode is soo good

1 year ago

Yeah, a steamdeck just can't beat my i8700k with 2080TI though just yet. ;)

I kinda had that thing with just taking a stroll (getting out more) that i am going to do it this summer, twice a week, but it also just never gotten to it, and well now it's offcourse fall (with it's rain, coldness in the mornings (and with the current gas prices can't so easily turn up the heating anymore).. Hope we can both enjoy our steamdeck outside, next summer though!

What is so good about the nightmode?

1 year ago

What is so good about the nightmode?

1. It exists :D
    but no, really, I really like the blue light filtering. I find it really helps with my eyes and sleeping at night
  2. the convenient temp adjustment - with an easily accesible single slider but also the option to go full on with customisation!
1 year ago

Cheers.

1 year ago

As Lugum says, i got big monitor, keyboard and mouse. :D
I was like i will play games in bed, when am out somewhere (never wanted to play games on trip or so anyway)... but i tried 3 games like 2h of playtime at all, then i threw Deck on shelf and didnt touched it for week. Then i offered it on net with 80€ extra cuz why not... next day guy come to take it.
I have it same with new Xbox... i got it as one of first when it was released. I bought also 2y of pass.
If i played 10h in 2 years on Xbox its alot. Last time i played on it was new year 21/22 when i had friends here... we had few rounds of Mortal Kombat.

1 year ago

I love switching between my systems. I bought a brand new gaming rig last December that I love, yet I gathered 428.7h playing Steam games on my Deck since May.
It's so perfect for indies, grind-heavy games like JRPGs etc. Just the option to pause and resume is worth so much. Or the ability to game while watching TV with the family. I'm very sure that I'll buy their next gen too.

1 year ago

ugh, I feel ya, kinda.
Sound a bit like my friend's story. Back in the days they were like really into Nintendo DS. Exactly like you: "i will play games in bed, when am out somewhere" and so on. So they went super hard on it, raised all the money, got super hyped, bought it, played with it for a little bit and then was like "man I've no time to play on my DS! I spend all my time gaming on the PC!" :D

1 year ago

They should make one of these shaped like a duckling's penis.

Because everyone wants a Duck Dick Deck Dock.

1 year ago

You got a weird mind. :p

View attached image.
1 year ago

I showed you my dock, please respond

1 year ago

Sigh, men and showing their dock pictures constantly..

You want to see my dock now?

1 year ago

View attached image.
1 year ago

View attached image.
1 year ago

No

1 year ago

So ultimate question: Will this work with VR? Doubt it, but would love to see someone try.

Edit: No it will not.

1 year ago*

So i can point at it and say: Heres where i would put my Steam Deck... IF I HAD ONE

1 year ago

View attached image.
1 year ago

Still waiting for the deck to even be available in my country.

1 year ago

I wouldn't want one personally, even for free (I'd resell it instantly)... Fun to see how some gamers are loving this device, while others don't give a damn about it :-)

1 year ago

Got mine, now to try to play with it. Or not, I might be too lazy to dig up cables and wireless keyboard+ mouse.

1 year ago

Here's a nice video that compares several docks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2d57mPVV6w

For 99€ the official Valve dock surely feels cheap (all plastic). It also has less rubber protection for the Deck, especially that front sharp angled edge. However, official support from Valve and future improvements via firmware updates are nice.

Regarding the JSAUX m.2 dock, the YouTube reviewer seems to don't like that it has an m.2 slot and sees no use for it. I disagree since that storage can be useful when docking your Deck to an external monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse combo and using it as a desktop machine (you can run Windows on that thing). You can use the storage on your Deck for games and keep the "work" stuff on the m.2 drive in the JSAUX dock. Or maybe you can even have a full Windows installed there and dual-boot from it, so you can use the Deck as a portable gaming device on the move and as a desktop PC when docked.

Of course you might achieve the same thing by connecting an external SSD drive on the USB 3.1 port (not sure if the speeds would be the same) but the m.2 slot is not as "useless" as one might thing at first glance.

1 year ago

That's insightful, thanks. :)

Shame it feels cheap though for that price.

1 year ago

I'm curious about the price of the Steam Deck but "This item is not available for reservation in your country".

1 year ago

$399 for the 64GB version
$529 for the 256GB version
$649 for the 512GB version

For America atleast, gives some estimate.

1 year ago

I hope it won't be like the PS5 / Series X and the RTX 4090 (around U$ 3070,00 today).

1 year ago

That's a lot of working for it., but well 4090 will be more expensive then a console.

Thing is, even if you can afford a ps5, they are so scarce you really have to be in luck to find a store with some stock or pay even more from someone that bought it already. I tried for a good year to get one, without luck.

1 year ago

back to reservations

1 year ago

refunded my Steam Deck, then the Dock arrived the next day... now to decide whether to refund it or try to sell on ebay for profit? pro: could make profit, con: dealing with ebay people

1 year ago

Why get the dock? That must have been some last minute decision to refund the steamdeck. :p

Dunno, it seems more available then a steamdeck, it's not that pricey to make some good money on it, i'd refund it.

1 year ago

Ordered at the same time, Deck just arrived first. Steam Deck was unusable w/ a big library (15 MINUTES wait every time to turn on the screen from sleep mode). Seems Dock may sell for $140 USD on ebay so maybe I'll try it for a couple days... :)

1 year ago

Well we got similar amount of games, and can't recall it having to load after going out of sleep mode, but then again i only really tried it 2 times, maybe something was off? There are 50000 games now on steam? I mean must those people take 1 hour? :p

What people put on the internet for as a price and what it will actually sell for are always two different things eh. ;)

Still, can never hurt to try something.

1 year ago

I have 28,000 items in my library, including all the free and banned games, videos, soundtracks, etc. For me, boot up took 7 minutes and power on from sleep took usually 10 to 15 minutes before the device is usable. Screen turns on after a minute or so, but buttons are laggy or unresponsive (steam button, ... button, volume buttons), cannot launch a game, etc. Not even sleeping with a game running, just sleeping on the Steam menus. If the device is offline mode/no wifi then it is fast but then you cannot sync cloud saves, download games, read discussions, and all that online stuff. Seems it is trying to sync data for the whole library for some reason every time. CPU usage is 100% for this whole time which also causes about 4% battery drain every time I unlock the screen before it is usable.

Once the 10-15 minutes wait was over, the games themselves work fine. The hardware is great, screen and speakers were wonderful. It's just Steam itself that sucks, as usual.

Tried with my brother's account that has 7,000 games in his library, and it was faster but still took 3 to 5 minutes to resume from sleep. Valve paid for my return shipping so it seems at least a partial acknowledgement on their part that it is an issue. There are threads of other people w/ similar library sizes have the same problem.

I ordered the dock because... I guess I like to have the official accessories... and imagined hacking on this thing and it would come in handy for that.

What people put on the internet for as a price and what it will actually sell for are always two different things eh. ;)

Yeah, I am referring to sold prices. If it doesn't sell over the weekend for a crazy price, then I will return it. PayPal gives free return shipping (for now...) so I have nothing to lose by trying.

1 year ago

Well if you want to count all that i still got 23000 items.

Maybe it's something they can still fix with future updates? I dunno.
And one can still use it as a great emu machine, or even install windows/linux.
I haven't done much to really judge if i really suffer the same things as you had, if it's a case of a bad unit/batch or that's it really with all of them.

I got that with GOG Galaxy why i hate that so much, when each time it tries to load your steam library for ages. :p

What kind of hacking on a steamdeck?

1 year ago

All that free stuff counts, because Steam has to load it all. As well any shared libraries you have from someone else needs to load all their games, too. Even if someone ONLY claimed all the free stuff and never bought anything they could have a library of over 10,000 games.

The big library thing is a software issue, could definitely be fixed someday and I'll be very happy to buy a Steam Deck again if it is. But as the return period is only 14 days I had to make a quick decision. I decided a long time ago not to buy things anymore based on hopes and promises. 😀

"hacking" meaning just doing fun things with it, customizing, installing third party apps and such. I saw there's some cool emulators but I didn't even bother to install it because I already knew at that point I was not going to keep it. I'm not hacking into your bank. :)

And yes GOG galaxy integration with Steam was a disaster for me, it would just keep loading and crashing. I think it was running out of RAM. I finally managed to unlink it from my Steam account so I can have only GOG games in it. Playnite and other launchers also don't handle it very well, I gave up on them. Steam is slow but it's the fastest one... I guess it's a more complicated problem to solve than it seems! I also understand that most people do not have to worry about this and the developers will focus their attention on what will most immediately affect the largest number of users.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.