Red Dead Online – the vibrant, ever-evolving world where you can take on a range of unique roles and pursuits to blaze your own outlaw trail across the American frontier – will be available to purchase as a standalone game from the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Rockstar Games Launcher, Epic Games Store and Steam on December 1st.

For the first time, new players who do not already own Red Dead Redemption 2 can experience everything Red Dead Online has to offer, including access to all future content updates.
Red Dead Online will be available from the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Rockstar Games Launcher, Epic Games Store and Steam at an introductory offer of $4.99 – which is 75% off the regular price – until February 15, 2021. Please note that PlayStation Plus and/or Xbox Live Gold are required to play. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Red Dead Online will be playable via backward compatibility on PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series hardware.

The new standalone version of Red Dead Online will require up to 123GB of disk space and will also include the option to unlock Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode (purchased separately).

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61801/get-red-dead-online-as-a-standalone-game-on-december-1st

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

3 years ago

It's because it also downloads all of the singleplayer content too.

3 years ago

Oh boy, 5$ ?!

that's going to be a mess o crippled by micro transactions, but let's be honest I'll buy it anyway

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

3 years ago

Now you can grind for years for just 4.99€
it only took me 1332hours without shark cards to be able to afford all this GTA online garbage, so...i guess i will pass on this offer
I have no idea where people find the time to play these 2 games

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

That's the whole point

3 years ago

It's far from a dead game. The Steam version in the last 24 hours has had a peak almost 15.7k players. That doesn't include the majority of players which are playing on the Rockstar client outside of Steam.

3 years ago*

Deleted

3 years ago

There's probably no way to pull an actual number for Online play unless you work for Rockstar. I'd imagine there's a good amount of people considering the numbers of people playing.

From what I got from a someone who plays a lot on PC and Streams if you are looking to do things like freeroam and posse there's a really high population online but as far as PVP there's a very low pop for that and matchmaking might take a bit.

3 years ago*

With the way that GTA Online is monetized, I assume that this isn't any better, so thanks, but no thanks.

3 years ago

123 giga ....this can't be real...wtf devs don't comrpess and optimize their damn games today? bah

3 years ago

ARK: Survival Evolved is consuming 214Gb of my drive space - and I only own few DLC that is (or was) free at some stage. Too big to waste on SSD, but due to it's loading time, could benefit from it!

3 years ago

O_O Absurd....really...they must stop waste our HDD space for being lazy and not comrpess and optimize...there were some old games that are much more deep and compless that are under 10GB....bah

3 years ago

+1. And I thought 10 GB was already quite a lot.

3 years ago

remembers with nostalgia when he thought Commandos 2 was an enormous game with it's ~1GB disk size...

3 years ago

Doom 2 came on 5 x 3.5" 1.44MB disks and I thought that was mental.

3 years ago

Thanks for the heads up :) Off-topic, but why is everyone so surprised at the size, many games are over 100GB nowadays :)

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

I think that in the context of gaming even 3 years is a lifetime, never mind 10 or more :) Mass Effect Andromeda was more or less average for that time period when a lot of games were in the 50-60gb window on launch. But let's take a closer look at the current state:

Most sports games like NBA or FIFA are now over 100gb, Red Dead is 150+, Destiny 2 is 160+, some of the newer FF games are also in that range. If we look at Call of Duty, virtually all the latest releases have been above 100gb, in some cases up to 200 even. Want more games above 100gb - ARK, Hitman 2, Rainbow Six Siege, MS Flight Simulator, Borderlands 3, Assassin's Creed Origins / Odyssey / Valhalla. Even if we take a look a few years back the GBs remain a factor - 2016's DOOM was around 70 or so, even Deus Ex: Mankind Divided which came out more than 4 years ago was already almost 80gb. Baldur's Gate 3 is still in early access but already at 80gb+, and WoW was approaching 70gb before the latest expansion dropped.

My point in sharing all these stats is that technology has developed rapidly over the past decade, allowing companies to include more in their products and as a result, increasing size. This means that by now a 60-70GB AAA release is standard, not the exception, and soon 100GB will become the norm, if it hasn't already - I'm curious to see what Cyberpunk 2077 has to say about that, given that it might challenge Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and its 230gb+ :)

3 years ago*

Well, to Cyberpunk they already stated necessary disk space on store page (70 GB)...

3 years ago

I just checked that, they did say 70GB which is impressive even if a big Day 1 patch brings it to 80 or 90. Still, with a few DLCs next year it will easily jump into triple digit territory, which is the standard nowadays :) 200 is still nuts though, agreed

3 years ago

Just ARK crossed my mind with over 200GB, I already uninstalled it, but not due size, due almost daily downloads as updates (some easly passing 10 GB)...

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Oh yeah, I don't disagree with anything you said, just wanted to point out that for better or worse, 100GB is the standard for AAA right now :) Otherwise you can find gaming genius even in the smallest games - games like FTL or Stardew Valley are a great example!

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Destiny 2 recently had a content downgrade that basically removed half the game. If you didn't buy the latest expansion that came out a couple weeks ago the game is now under 60GB. With the expansion I think it goes to around 100.

3 years ago

It's just a little over 55 GB. It required 100+ GB on install, because it downloaded a great deal of material and then went about compressing itself and reinstalling. Some installs will be larger because of language packs, I gather.

3 years ago

An MMO with graphics like Destiny 2 under 60GB just feels small. I stopped playing the game awhile ago. I was hoping the new expansion would bring me back but after the lackluster reviews, content vaulting, and sunsetting of weapons I uninstalled the game :/

3 years ago

I'm loving it. The new content is excellent, meaty and focused, and while I miss a lot of the old locations I can see solid reasons why they moved the way they did. Looking forward to seeing old locations come back with a revamp. Yes, the sunsetting is a pain in some ways, but I suspect we'll get used to it soon enough - I like the new weapons too, and honestly as much as I liked some favorites there's a lot to be said for clearing house. Bungie made some mistakes, and they got a lot right as well.

3 years ago

I've also heard others say they removed the content because they were planning to revamp it. However if this was true why was this not explicitly stated by bungie? They had to expect the backlash from removing half their game so they would have put out a message with something like, "Hey guys we're temporarily removing content because we plan on upgrading all of it and bringing it back. Again, it's only TEMPORARY. Don't worry it's coming back!"

But they didn't say anything. This would also contradict their official statement for removing the content. They said the game was getting too big and becoming too difficult to patch. If they revamped everything to make it look prettier and added more bells and whistles wouldn't that increase the size of the game even more than it originally was? So maybe they might bring some of the stuff back but they won't bring everything back. Which is dumb because you want as much content as possible in an MMO. You don't remove content that's good or fun. You don't remove content that people PAID for.

Anyway, rant over. If you're having fun with it that's great don't mind me. I got tired of the grind and the bs. Looks like things haven't changed.

3 years ago

Have exactly 5 on my Steam wallet from trading cards.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Hmmmm.... nah.
I play RDO on PS4. The things I ear about PC version makes it a big NO. If modders are bad in GTAO, expect worst on RDO.

3 years ago

What's different on the PC version than the PS4 version?

3 years ago

Almost no modders or no modders.

3 years ago

Hackers !

3 years ago

You are right, modders on PC are hell. Also rockstar learned their lesson from gta online and activly reset everyone who got money from modders even if it was just few hundred bucks.

3 years ago

Hackers on pc are hell.

3 years ago

There are still modders alive on GTA.
R* can't keep up.

3 years ago

Rockstar only banned modders and glitchers that messed with the game´s economy.
Plenty of griefers in god mode or glitched vehicles. Teleporting players, spawning airplanes, crashing the servers.

3 years ago

This is kinda confusing. The regular version is $60 on Steam.

So the standalone version will normally be $20 but for a limited time it's $5. So the Standalone version will be everything but the story mode? So the optional story mode is $40?

3 years ago

I'll buy the story mode as a standalone for 5.

3 years ago

Hmm hackers, microtransactions, and massive grinding. Is that worth the cheap price tag? Of course they wouldn't offer the story mode for $5.

3 years ago

Just wait...EPIC will give it away for free soon enough

3 years ago

its 5 dollars per month?

3 years ago

No, it's one purchase.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

View attached image.
3 years ago

For a minute i thought it was the whole game or at least the campaign but it's just the online... HARD PASS

3 years ago

123GB, ill be able to fit that, warzone, and maybe one more AAA on a Series S

3 years ago

Does anyone know how much it will cost to unlock the story mode? And by "story mode" I assume they mean the base single player game that you can currently buy for £55 on Steam?

3 years ago

I'd play it if it was free. Only the story is worth anything, you can get fetch / grind quests for free everywhere.

3 years ago

Anyone know how much the single player purchase will be if you purchase this? I assume it will be less than buying the two of them as a package.

3 years ago

A few year and servers close down, and all your hard work goes to oblivion and you even pay for it. Just got through a few of these server shutdowns recently (next is Shadow of Mordor at Dec.31.) and they are all so sad. Pass.

3 years ago

But why would anyone want to play online..?

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Why is it everywhere, but not on Steam? hm...

3 years ago

Valve's working hour is 9 am pst - 5pm pst for developer support, most choose to release between those.

3 years ago

It will be there in 1 hour, which is their update time.

3 years ago

No it won't. ;-)

3 years ago

yeah, sadly :/ Every platform it does have, but Steam dont, what a shame...

3 years ago

3 years ago*

I didn't say it would never appear. But it didn't appear 1h or even 2h from edchaos' post. ;-)

3 years ago

They probably would have made more money if they developed DLC for the single-player. I would have gladly dished out more money for another Undead Nightmare expansion.

3 years ago

Yea but explain that to Take-Two Interactive :/

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.