Red Dead Online – the vibrant, ever-evolving world where you can take on a range of unique roles and pursuits to blaze your own outlaw trail across the American frontier – will be available to purchase as a standalone game from the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Rockstar Games Launcher, Epic Games Store and Steam on December 1st.

For the first time, new players who do not already own Red Dead Redemption 2 can experience everything Red Dead Online has to offer, including access to all future content updates.
Red Dead Online will be available from the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Rockstar Games Launcher, Epic Games Store and Steam at an introductory offer of $4.99 – which is 75% off the regular price – until February 15, 2021. Please note that PlayStation Plus and/or Xbox Live Gold are required to play. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Red Dead Online will be playable via backward compatibility on PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series hardware.

The new standalone version of Red Dead Online will require up to 123GB of disk space and will also include the option to unlock Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode (purchased separately).

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61801/get-red-dead-online-as-a-standalone-game-on-december-1st

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

mh... will I be able to just tend my farm and ride my horse looking at the vistas on my own?

3 years ago

No thanks. Not interested in a grindy game mode that wants to push me into buying microtransactions.

3 years ago*

You don't even need microtransactions, the premium currency used to be easier to obtain than the "dollars". But yes it's very grindy, grindy in time and energy.

3 years ago

Seeing how much money they made with shark cards for GTA, I would bet that they designed RDRO to get people to pay money, too. Sure, you don't need the microtransactions. But they wouldn't be there if they were completely useless, right? I am always very careful with f2p games and paid games with similar concepts. People always argue about things like the EGS or Denuvo - but for me the one thing that hurt gaming the most in recent years is the f2p concept (which is even worse if applied to a paid game).

3 years ago

Maybe because GTA V dates back to 2013. You can actually see the price and reward difference between old and new content.
If you were to start now, there would be no choice but the humble beginnings of grinding.
but if you own it for some time, then, there is no reason to do half of the jobs and heists on offer.
it's the stupidest economy, where grinders are pretty much doing the same shit over and over again.
Because prices of new stuff are terribly inflated, and the old jobs werent balanced for those prices

As for microtransactions, i really dont know how they managed to sell them. Shark cards have never been updated, you pay real money for a small quantity you could probably get in just a few hours.
ex: 75€ is 8 million in game currency. Its just about enough to buy one yacht (no upgrades)

3 years ago*

looks like new way for scam

3 years ago

Having never played the standalone game, would there be any value in getting this just to PvE solo? Is there anything to do, or do we need the "story mode" for that?

3 years ago

It's basically the same (for the most part) as the sandbox experience outside the main story, in the main game.
Except the rewards are much smaller, and the prices much higher.
So for example, in the main game you can go kill a couple of animals, skin them, sell the skins/meat, and pretty soon you'll have enough money for a better weapons, upgrades, bullets, etc.
Pretty fun actually.

In the online version, you get hardly any money for the same meat/skins, even the simplest weapons are much more expensive (so you need to kill like 50-75 animals to afford a better gun), and most of the guns, upgrades and bullet types are locked either behind paywall or level-wall.
So you need a serious grind to get anything.
Even side quests (kill a specific animal, catch an outlaw) are locked behind a paywall in the online version.
They basically took the base game and decided to make it X100 times longer by making everything a grind.

So I'm not saying there isn't anything to do there, and I think it's certainly is worth $5 (compared to other games you can get for $5).
But the main game is much more fun than the online version - even if all you want to do is roam around and do your own thing.

3 years ago

Thanks for the reply. That sounds really boring! I'd rather play just about any other MMO and just get RD2 when the price comes down a bit or it gets bundled!

3 years ago

Yeah, it's definitely not a classic FPS MMO like Fortnite.
Maybe closer to an RPG MMO like WoW, but much shallower in comparison.
You don't really play with other people most of the time - your interaction with other people is mostly in missions where you're paired together by an algorithm. I think it's similar to WoW in that sense.
But the character progression is more GTA-style - you can have better equipment, but don't have much say in improving your character (like you have in classic RPG games).

I'd say it's a good game for someone who wants a taste of RDR2.
Not for someone looking for a solid MMO to play with friends.

3 years ago

thanks for details, actually b2p hiding a p2progress scheme

3 years ago

Is the online game free of cheaters?

3 years ago

No, its a feature, comes free with every Rockstar game on pc.
You might want to invest on a vpn, a cost of having p2p connection in 2020.

3 years ago*

As one of my friends put it:
They took the worst part of RDR2 and are selling it for $5.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 months ago.

3 years ago

Then you know it's bad. Thanks, won't purchase it.

3 years ago

A question, for owners of RDR2 on steam, RD online is added (free) to library as an independent game?

3 years ago

Nope

3 years ago

They just changed the game´s economy just before this massive discount, it figures.
as if the game wasnt a grind fest already

3 years ago

buy this in game buy that in game i will pass!

3 years ago

"PlayStation Plus and/or Xbox Live Gold are required to play." Does that mean you have to pay for a subscription to a service just to play this? That'd be my reason to skip out on this offer. $5 isn't cheap when it comes with a caveat.

3 years ago*

if they cut Read Dead Online from Redemption 2 and sell it for 15$ probably sell more =P

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.