Just kidding, but now that you’re here...
On the 25th May data protection laws are changing and we need you to refresh your preferences.

I've never opted out of receiving emails so fast. How low has GMG gone...

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Why?

5 years ago

Yeah...

5 years ago

they didn't send me one like that, but I did receive two notices about the policy change even though I had already changed my settings

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Oof. Didn't get this email (yet), but a clothing company scared me with an "Order Confirmation" ad once, so thanks for the heads up.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Notice that faux order number is LEET LEET? And Ikr? Annoying! Very low for them. But they also make me laugh in their emails. I'm a bundle junkie going back to late 2011, which both makes me very patient on Steam sales to wait on at least 75% off on game sales usually, 90+% off being even better. What makes me laugh in their emails is them sounding so excited to give me some measly coupon code for 5% off or something off a brand new otherwise full priced game that I can't afford to buy.

5 years ago

GMG has to be the lowest of the low in a list of legal key sellers.

5 years ago

they been sending emails for a few weeks now
but this,,
someone approved it XD

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

I never got the fake order confirmation email, but I did notice their apology for it on their blog and Twitter yesterday:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/blog/message-to-our-customers-sorry-about-our-gdpr-email-yesterday/

https://twitter.com/GreenManGaming/status/998156659607433216

5 years ago

Next time I make a joke and nobody laughs I'll make sure to remember this GMG's "joke" to console myself :)

5 years ago

I added it to spam without checking xD

5 years ago

yeah that's pretty meh, my reaction was:

• Wait what the f...
  • Oh lol
  • Wait... really ?
  • Opt out and you can go f...
  • Wait they actually send decent coupons and deals, guess I'll stay in and forget this "joke"

A roller coaster of emotions :3

5 years ago

I've got a lot of that kind of spam the last few weeks and also a warning from my internet distributor that there are people sending phishing mails with the new internet data laws as a setup.

5 years ago

Yeah. I "approve" only sites that I know I'm "on them".
Already had a few scam spams.

5 years ago

Yeah, some dishonest people trying to scam you with consumer data protection update mails. Some were really obvious and a few were good imitations.

And I also only approve the ones I know.

5 years ago

They aren't a legitimate retailer.

5 years ago

Eh... to be honest, I thought it was a pretty good way of getting attention. I don't get why people are panicking or angry over it? Have we really lost the ability to laugh at pranks these days? They need you to update your preferences in order to be compliant with the GDPR, and I can't imagine there are many ways you could use to grab your clients attention. This one at least was a bit more clever.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Again, as I said below, do other countries not have alerts on bank accounts? I get spam emails all the time saying money will be leaving my account if I don't do X, Y, and Z, but why panic if I haven't had any official notice from my bank account that money has left? And if it has, then the credit card company would have to refund the charge, being as I didn't authorise it. They'd in turn take the money from GMG and it's no loss to me.

And no it's not the same as Jake Paul, because that actually did real damage. All this did is make your heart beat faster for two seconds. It's childish but not actually damaging, in the same way a middle school kid might tell you your fly is undone and you panic thinking your goods are on display, only to check and find out it's all fine, while the prankster laughs at you. Anyway it's probably just my nature to enjoy a good bamboozling from time to time.

5 years ago*

I didn't freak either, but I get the backlash. For most people, their money is their livelihood. It's just too low to pull a prank that abuses that, especially when it's a retailer and they're partly responsible for money transfers.

To me, it's about as cheap as maybe... a doctor saying you are very ill, only to go, "Haha, nah, but did you know we have free flu shots available?" Will it get your attention? Maybe. Is it pretty irresponsible to make a joke about something which could otherwise have a very serious impact on you? I think so. A doctor has a responsibility to diagnose you properly to the best of their ability. They shouldn't joke about that. GMG has to a responsibility to help ensure your financial details are secure. They shouldn't joke about that.

5 years ago

Loved the analogy. )

5 years ago

Agh, thank you ^^

5 years ago

Ok, but do other countries not have nofifications on bank accounts? So if I didn't see money leaving my account, why panic? Why not take a breath and read the email first. And besides, if someone had bought something on my account, it would be easy enough to reverse the charges.

And the doctor analogy is not quite the same. If you went to the doctor you probably had a reason. If they were then a douchebag and told you that you were sick it might cause genuine panic.
EDIT: Oh and also I trust my doctor more than I trust an online retailer to pull a stunt.

But honestly, even if the doctor pulled a move like that, apart from a brief confusion, if they then explained the joke 2 seconds later, it's really not a big deal. Like I say, people seem a bit too easily moved to panic.

5 years ago*

Well, yeah, there are notifications on bank accounts, but even then, it's not like people are usually going to think that through when they're busy wondering if GMG has failed to keep their account safe like they are partially meant to. Even then, I don't think people should have to use a secondary source of information in the first place. They should be able to trust what they receive from the retailer. It's not a requirement, it's not like it's illegal to do this or anything, but pulling something like this does betray some trust between the customer and retailer, and some people likely feel that it's proof GMG has no problem betraying this trust altogether. Is it a reach? Maybe. But it's not completely unreasonable.

And sure, you go to a doctor for a reason. But you also go to GMG for a reason -- to purchase games and be provided with proof of purchase as a result. They used that format, that premise, just to pull this joke. In that respect, I believe it's the same.

But yeah, like I said, I wasn't too panicked. It's true that you could likely refund the payment if there was a breach, double check your security... even so, if you're just not the kind of person to feel betrayed by your doctor pulling a stunt like that, then I suppose it makes sense you wouldn't feel betrayed here. I think a lot of people are just quick to panic when their financial security could be at stake, and there's nothing wrong with that. I definitely agree with you in saying people shouldn't be getting too angry over it, though Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

5 years ago

One of my credit cards sends every single email with the subject of "ACCOUNT ALERT" whether it is a statement, a privacy policy update, a promotion... it's extremely lame.

5 years ago

Your bank is evil D:

5 years ago

I can see why it would be annoying to some people, but I found it funny. shrug
The 13371337 order number was a dead giveaway for me.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.