The announcement

By far the most interesting part is the split they'll demand, though that topic is naturally more the concern of developers than gamers.

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if you’re using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epic’s 12%.

Seems the guy behind Steamspy had been working on this project for some years.

Edit:
So Epic has something nice to convince customers too: Free games!

Q: What are you doing to make the Epic Games Store more attractive to consumers?

Tim Sweeney: Among other things, the store will also feature one free game every two weeks throughout 2019. Epic is funding these free releases so players can experience the wide range of creative works that will be available.

Source: This interview.

Edit 2:
Another interview with some interesting insights. Namely how Epic calculates the costs.

How did you determine the revenue split percentage, and is this a locked number moving forward?

While running Fortnite we learned a lot about the cost of running a digital store on PC. The math is quite simple: we pay around 2.5 to 3.5 percent for payment processing for major payment methods, less than 1.5 percent for CDN costs (assuming all games are updated as often as Fortnite), and between 1 and 2 percent for variable operating and customer support costs. Fixed costs of developing and supporting the platform become negligible at a large scale. In our analysis, stores charging 30 percent are marking up their costs by 300 to 400 percent. But with developers receiving 88 percent of revenue and Epic receiving 12 percent, this store will still be a profitable business for us.

The Epic Games store is a long-term effort that we’ll be extending and improving for years. Ultimately, we hope competition between stores means better deals for all developers!

Edit 3:
You can download the launcher here

Free games list:

Game Availability
Subnautica 14. - 27. December
Super Meat Boy 28. December - 10. January
What Remains of Edith Finch 10. - 24. January
The Jackbox Party Pack 24. January -
more games to follow every two weeks in 2019
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Only lazy company doesn't have its own store nowadays. People are fed up with Valve's fees i guess

5 years ago

lol lazy. You mean greedy?

5 years ago

No. Greedy is pretty much the opposite of making bad financial decisions and overpaying for inflated fees.

5 years ago

Uhm yeah buddy Bethesda made their abysmal client pushing paid mods and not allowing you to refund Fallout76 out of the good in their hearts. Get real. Inflated fees lmao.

5 years ago

You evidently can't read since you are arguing the opposite of what you mean.
He said:

Only lazy companies don't have their own store nowadays

Which you seem to read as:

Only lazy (greedy?) companies do have their own store nowadays

5 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

I don't want to buy games from each and every publisher/developer, each with it's own launcher and store. Competition is good, but damn it's getting ridiculous now with everyone opening their own store now.

Having a store separate from the publisher is more consumer friendly. Just look at the shit show that is the Bethesda store; no refunds, no reviews. And if when a publisher goes under, your games go with it.

I don't want anymore damn game clients either, I have 6 installed already. I've decided to only buy new games from GOG from now on, and if it's not available there I'll wait for it. If it doesn't make it to GOG, I'll pick it up in a bundle or buy rent it from Steam when it's on sale for 75% off or more.

5 years ago

I'm with you. I stopped adding "platforms" after Steam and GOG.

5 years ago

No crappy launchers anymore!

5 years ago

we might need a platform fot the platforms, where you just log in and get automaticaly get loged in inton all your accounts (steam, gog, battlesnet,...) wich combines all libraries and sends all instructions automaticaly to the lower platforms (download game x, start game y,...)
would make the world much easier

5 years ago

5 years ago

Oh wow, this looks actually quite interesting. It seems to struggle with adding complete libraries for some stores though. Will try again later.

5 years ago

Fees? I'm fed up with the swamp of shit Steam has become. Just look at steamgifts.com all page. It's filled with garbage. I cannot block "games" fast enough. But seeing good giveaway when you've cleared a ton of shit ones is very satisfying.

5 years ago

I meant from other companies' perspective, they don't give a fuck about shit games on steam, but they do care about this 30% loss. From customer perspective I absolutely agree though. But I am still blocking crap, started few months ago and now my hidden games counter is at 7302 and counting (~5-10 crap games a day, sometimes more). At least I am now seeing much less of this. I genuinely don't understand, why would one buy those and give them away here. One would have to literally create hundreds of giveaways to upgrade CV.

5 years ago

I find I can't block them fast enough! I block 1 and 2 more pop up. They need to make it so you can export/import blocked game list. So you can just share a list of blocked crap.

5 years ago

People are actually buying those games to give them away? If so, that's kinda crazy lol. I had assumed that they were from really low quality indie bundles. One person's junk is another person's treasure and all that.

5 years ago

Just think of SG as 'free' advertising for the game, since you had to see the game at least once in order to block it. (And advertising is a big business!)

5 years ago

Wow that's great for developers that choose to put their games on that store. Fortnite has a massive population so people definitely use the client and I'm sure some devs will jump on putting their game it as it will get a high amount of exposure.

5 years ago*

Added part about free games.

5 years ago

Still missing the essential part of Steam, being able to sell crap to silly people to buy any game you want for free.

5 years ago

... and the friends list, solid downloads/updates, easy way to control downloads (pausing, bandwith control, time when updates trigger), out of game voice communication, family sharing of games, easy configuration of non-standard gamepads and the easy way to filter out games you don't want to see, etc.

People take what Steam has done over the years too much for granted I think. Just using a service like uPlay or Origin for 15 minutes makes me want to pull my hair out. They're awful.

5 years ago

Nice to see someone who isn't so blinded by valve hate they miss the fact they ain't got decent competition.

5 years ago

people also love to criticize valve for their developer fees and they don't realize customers (yes, us) will pay the same for their games, no matter if the store takes a 30% cut or 0.01%.

so in the end, we will pay the same (because $60 games WON'T drop in price, even if fees are 10% instead of valve's usual 30%) while developers/publishers make more money and we are forced to install 50 clients. ^^
so much for being customer friendly...

i'll stick to steam till it explodes.

5 years ago

Well spoken words and over the egde keen sight.

5 years ago

What about GOG? You dont seem to fill your library with uncurated games. Are you using GOG? If not may I know why? I have no association with GOG but I've complimented them on many occasions. Personally, I think their platform works great and its easy access. Why I'm not using it more often is most other friends and community here is of course Steam users.
Sincere Regards and Warm Greetings! Cruse~

5 years ago

gog doesn't have any games i would like to play that i can't find on steam. ┐(ツ)┌
and even if i could find some, they are always more expensive than a steam gifts or keys.

5 years ago

Ah yes, GOG has a much smaller attraction certainly. Its draw now is curation, DRM-Free, easy to download, easy to access/stable client. When comes down to budgeting, indeed its a major loss. You can also use GOG-Connect to get your Steam games on GOG which I felt bad for them, i'm not sure its a sustainable model, although it does not mean you are able to 100% replicate your library to GOG. They gift of games quite frequently too, they do not have much bundles which is great to build that empty account. They did recently start having some or more store bundle options which is great value for recent releases games in recent sales.

Thank you for the reply, very much appreciated. There's still some way to go for them. Have a great day ahead, Mully. Cheers, Cruse~

5 years ago

My second platform almost 200 games in there :))!

GOG connect was a bliss for me :D!

5 years ago*

That's great Andrew. I was late to GOG connect and I could have added more games. Sincerely Thank GOG for that function without having to buy double the copies. Which was the idea behind GOG Connect. No more paying Doubles!
Cheerios. Cruse~

5 years ago

Yes, I can't agree more :D!

5 years ago

so in the end, we will pay the same (because $60 games WON'T drop in price, even if fees are 10% instead of valve's usual 30%)

I would have to agree with this, but I'd like to think there would be indie developers that would sell their game for $12 instead of $15 or $16 instead of $20. They could have the same take per game and potentially sell more games because of the lower price. Wishful thinking maybe, but perhaps not all developers are out to maximize profits.

5 years ago

Not to mention that the 30% fee (if it is indeed 30, I didn't make any research) doesn't translate to a better customer support. In fact, there's basically zero customer support, no forum moderation and the only thing they does is updating the client every x months with bugs that often stays there for years without being fixed (only recently the youtube video problem got apparently fixed, after years of being there, making any community video basically useless).
Oh but we got cards, hats and trash games.

On the other hand, I can't see any better alternative. I'd choose gog if it wasn't for their prices, and the overabundance of terribly old games (I was a kid when they were released and never got to play them, but I'm actually happy I never wasted my time on 99.9% of them). So what I do is to buy steam games in other stores, so they don't get they cut, until they fix their behavior (I don't have any hopes though).

5 years ago

Can't agree more!

Bethesda launcher is an example!
They made the launcher for us; no refunds, 60$, no reviews :)

It is simple, make a launcher that has the same features and all my games in it but better and I will maybe go to it :)).

5 years ago

Also worth mentioning is their mobile app, which in addition to acting as a FOB for 2-step-authentication. also allows installing bought games remotely on your main PC.

And the excellent SteamLink.

5 years ago

Which is so excellent, they stopped making them and they threw out the remaining stock with extreme sales.

5 years ago

I know you're being sarcastic, but they really are!
IMO they're on the same level of innovation as Google's ChromeCast.
Valve originally planned to have several tiers of HW, with SteamLink being the base tier and 3-rd party manufacturers creating the other tiers:
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines

But that did not succeed, so they're not going to continue investing in HW.
But their software is solid. They now have a Samsung TV app which supports 4K, and are working on Android/IOS apps.
The only way for you to stream 4K games today, is Nvidia Shield or SteamLink app.

So I still think that SteamLink (the app) is the future.

5 years ago

I have 2 of those, very good devices :D!

5 years ago

Exactly. I'll be sticking with Steam. I have some games on GOG, but to be honest, only because I got them for free, or really cheap. I see no reason to move away from Steam where the majority of my games are. They have everything I want in one place.

As for low quality creators on Steam... we have the gift of free will and freedom of choice. We can choose not to buy those games and there are also wonderful things called filters in place to hide content that we don't wish to see.

5 years ago

Added another interview and more information.

5 years ago

One more reason for moms to hide their credit cards, as if fortnite wasn't enough.

5 years ago

Hmmm... Origin and Uplay gave free games too and never reached as high as steam... but could work... I wonder what would have happened if M$ used Minecraft launcher to sell other games and not push WindowsStore instead...

5 years ago

Going against Steam is like fighting a windmill... GOG, Origin, Twitch(?), Discord(?) has free games too... it's mildly attracting. I doubt Epic will give away good games.
Unless they have extra cheap games, I'm not even gonna register. They discontinued Paragon and I'm not even a fan of Fortnite.

5 years ago

twitch store already has been closed.

5 years ago

Well it was stupid, anyway Steam is going to be the new Twitch and Discord, sooner or later.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Movie name?

5 years ago

Godzilla, 2014

5 years ago

Thank you

5 years ago

Holy crap, very cool of them. I'll be honest, I don't know if I'll start using it, considering all the games on Steam, me using BLAEO and Steamgifts and caring about stats. But still, it's competition. My main hope is that Valve improves itself from this pressure, which would be a win/win for me.

5 years ago

I don't expect it to be Epic :) but having more variety is not a bad thing.

5 years ago

Great news, thanks for the heads up!

5 years ago

just created account xD
finally activated my Shadow Complex Remastered key from Humble Unreal Engine Bundle ;)

5 years ago

haha same

5 years ago

Haha like Telltale keys in their launcher?

5 years ago

Can't wait to see them fail just like EA and Ubi.

5 years ago

fail just like EA and Ubi.

Care to explain why origin store fail? Or EA games=Origin store for u? Cause I don't like EA too, but Origin store is good :)
Steam store failed in past 2-3 years, and its getting worse and worse.

5 years ago

I don't get that claim either. EA seems to be doing pretty well. And if they wouldn't, they'd have returned to Steam again a long time ago.

P.S.
I must praise the Origin customer support btw. Had to contact them about 2 weeks ago. I was called immediately and got a really qualified person, with helpful suggestions which resulted in a solution. It was leagues above anything Steam offers.

5 years ago

Your Origin customer support experience seems more of an exception to me, from what I saw around. There are lots of people (on reddit, for example), telling stories of just how crazy bad their support is.

5 years ago

Possible. But it is always far more common that you hear about bad experiences, than about great ones. So that hasn't to mean much. And I can only confirm from my experience that Steam isn't even close to Origin, in that regard.

5 years ago

To be worse than Steam they would need to break into your house and steal your PC or something. :P

5 years ago

Just try Windows Store.

5 years ago

So does Origin, Uplay, Btalle.net, Windows Store and Twitch breaks into your house and steak your PC? Because from my experience with those they're all worse than Steam.

Edit: Saw that you were talking about customer service only and not the clients. Don't have much experience there. But I've contacted Steam on two occasions and didn't have much trouble with them. But from the two times I had to contact Uplay support the first went nowhere. I had the 2 step verification activated but forgot to back that up so I lost access to my account, the customer service the first time I tried something were rude and very dismissal and I pretty much gave up hope of getting the account back, I did decide to give it another try several months after and that time they were helpful and was able to get my account back. But that first time was just bad.

5 years ago*

Never needed support for Battle.net or Twitch and not touching Origin, Uplay or Windows Store so wouldn't know. Steam support I tried once, it took several messages and long time before I managed to convince them that a neighbor living 10m away gifting me Portal 2 from a store bought 4-pack wasn't an evil trader in some other region when I couldn't activate it. After that I just decided it's not worth the hassle and will just suffer any losses quietly cursing them.

5 years ago

The Origin client is a lot better than the Steam client. It is not moody, it does not have entire wiki worth or arbitrary error codes and support articles on them, it does not try to force installing the same dependency library seven hundred times when it is already present on a system, it can be navigated and does not have a ton of algorithms on the store that may or may not break at any given time. It is not loaded with several features nobody ever uses (like a streaming client).

The only good thing I can say about the Steam client that it functions better than the Bethesda Launcher and it is somewhat less obnoxious than UPlay.

5 years ago

I've tried to force me buying DAI GOTY with 85% discount there, but remembered about their other DLC and shit, and moved along

5 years ago

Time will tell.
I'm not gonna use a new platform, gonna wait if it lasts for 2-3 years and then maybe?

5 years ago

B-but... free games!?

5 years ago

:) Steam also decided to reduce their cuts for big games. But %12 is good for developers

5 years ago

It will be a good platform for developers, but customers prefer to stick with Steam...

5 years ago

Maybe, but there are alraedy lots of games are coming with exclusive client like battlefield need for speeds, blizzard games and now call of duty released to battle.net. What if ac series and cd projekt games are left steam too? So there is no client choice chance for end customers.

5 years ago*

blizzard is gone, ea is woke and broke, nfs are gone cuz forza ...

5 years ago

Thats not the point, forza is also not released on steam like other popular games fortnite, overwatch, wow etc. Steam still have popular games like pubg cw go etc but as a gamer we need to use multiple clients.

5 years ago

Between this, Discord, Kartridge, battlenet, gog, itch.io, uplay, origin, Windows Store, etc. it feels like the number of PC gaming platforms is becoming quite crowded.

5 years ago

in less than Ten years.

5 years ago

Everyone wants to make his own launcher with blackjack and hookers

5 years ago

Well, more competition - better for consumers, gonna grab the free stuff for sure.🙄

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

so nice. first set up a store, later release a client.

View attached image.
5 years ago

They've already updated Unreal Game Launcher, looks very nice tbh.

5 years ago

Funny how i read an article on Valve reducing their fees by 5-10% depending on how much money you make xD

5 years ago

Seems that Steam learned about Epic's 88/12 split and decided to react preliminary.
At least that's what I think and Epic's guy seems to agree. Good example how competition leads to improvements.

5 years ago

Lol, but steam is too big already so it doesnt really matter. No way im installing and registering for another client. If the game is not on steam, origin or uplay im not buying anymore xD

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

That might be true, but then they would have to give everyone all the games they own on steam on the new platform, otherwise there would be no reason to switch. Or a worst case scenario would be that steam would just shut down and screw everyone.

5 years ago

Valve needs competition, not having any has lead to steam turning into a s***show

5 years ago

This is getting like everyone making their own version of "Netflix" ... People have only so much patience before you start to spread too thin

5 years ago

We really need a hub to bring all these platforms into a single interface.

5 years ago

It's a really good idea...we need a launcher for launchers

5 years ago

https://playnite.link/

"Import popular libraries

Link games from Steam, Origin, GOG, Battle.net and Uplay services, including games that are not installed! Windows Store (UWP) games are also supported."

5 years ago

https://playnite.link/

"Import popular libraries

Link games from Steam, Origin, GOG, Battle.net and Uplay services, including games that are not installed! Windows Store (UWP) games are also supported."

5 years ago

Nice

5 years ago

This could be a big(!) problem for valve.

The Epic-Launcher is working good and a lot of people already use it because of fortnite.
With some strong publishers on side and some more exclusives this might be the end of steam in longterm...
And it's valves fault for standing still the last years and beeing greedy towards publishers.

The kids today don't think of Valve as a "cool company" and they don't have a deeper binding to steam.
But kids are "epic fans"...

Let's see what the next 2 years will bring. Fact is, valve need to change. Free money is going to end.

5 years ago

Maybe they'll have to actually work on HL3 to have a platform exclusive to combat Fortnight on Epic. I would love to see GabeN have to cave in and get his crew to start making games again. Let's face it -- they've made some of the best games ever, and the fact that they're not doing so due to collecting checks as a service company being much more profitable is just soulless and boring. So much so that we have an entire community who has made collecting games on Steam a game in itself. 😁😉 😲🤓🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 years ago

so much this

5 years ago

Twitch has been doing the same for months, has a larger active daily user base than Steam ever had, and their store still does not seem like going anywhere.
Even though the market desperately needs to crush Valve's choking and detrimental monopoly.

5 years ago

The market needs to offer a better alternative first. Twitch store ain't it to say the least.

5 years ago

but nobody is istalling the twitchapp...
But epic-launcher... with fortnite...

5 years ago

Yes, but the average demographic of Fortnite is aged what, 11? Hardly the people you can build a store on; pocket money does not go far with game purchases, only microtransactions.

5 years ago

Not necessarily...they have parents bankrolling their Fortnight habit, and they're only about 4 years away from being able to start being real consumers. Even if it's allowance money, if they become loyal customers, then this blows up if Epic can hang in there. Just ask Apple. 😉😁

5 years ago

Didn't Fortnite make 300 million $ a month? Not too shabby for one game. Though I could imagine that a large share of those was generated on iOS, a market which would be denied to Epic's own store. But Epic certainly would have a door opener that most other stores lack.

5 years ago

I didn't even know they had a store to begin with.

5 years ago

Sooo...
DRM, DRM, DRM.
What about the DRM?

5 years ago

exactly. Also, a concern is if these companies drive valve to extinction, what happens to my $100s of games from them?

Edit: for some reason, when I first posted this, it told me "warning you already posted this message, so this time we blocked it" or some such. I wonder why?

5 years ago

It says in the article. No store-wide drm, but publishers are free to use some if they insist. Or go drm-free.

5 years ago

Competition is nice, but why not make one or two stores to rival Steam instead of all these mini stores spawning around the place...

5 years ago

They need to start somewhere. No store is going to start out big enough to rival steam, they need to start small, and prove to developers that singing up with them is a good idea, in order to be able to grow. Having your game in multiple stores does incur additional costs, as you need to make sure that your game is up to date and functioning everywhere, and having a steam and a non-steam version does mean that they need to maintain several versions for the game (this is why you find that there might be version differences between the games on Steam and say GOG, and some developers chose to not prioritize the version that is on a smaller store. Some games on GOG are out of date compared to their steam counterparts).

5 years ago

Not to start as big as Steam, but to at least start strong enough instead of waiting for later merges, for example, Amazon waited till Souq was popular enough in the Arabic peninsula and the UAE and then took over, but will stores like this or say, the Discord store ever be important enough for any bigger party to offer a process of merger/acquisition?

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.