Edit 3:
After reading all the comments and a bit research, here is my final selection (still open to suggestions):
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BX2C9J

1. Graphic Card: PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 (the price is cheaper for some reason but I heard that it is fat, not sure if it will fit with stock cooler of 2600) (also RX 580 perform better than 1060 in Witcher 3)
  2. CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
  3. Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus or GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WiFi (cannot decide)
  4. RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz or Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 3000MHZ (I can buy this at local store at cheaper price rather than LPX version, although LED is not needed at all. 2x4GB 3000MHZ price is also nearly 60% of 2x8GB) or go with 1 Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB and add another one later
  5. Case: Fractal Design Focus G Black Window ATX Mid Tower Case 
  6. Power Supply: Seasonic Ssr-550fm Focus Gold Series 550w (Although minimum System Power requirement for PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 is 600W)
  7. Heat Sink and Fan: None, can be easy upgrade later.
  8. Storage: WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATA M.2 2280 SSD 1TB or WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATA M.2 2280 SSD 500 GB + 1 TB HDD 7200rpm (which ever is cheaper) or Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive for now, add 1TB SSD later
  9. OS: Win 10 Home 64-bit
  10. Monitor: FreeSync monitor (wait for BF discount)
    What do you think of the current build?

Original post:
Edit #2: Currently compiling a parts table based on all the comments!!!! Will update my list tomorrow!!! Thank you all for the advice and recommendations!!!
Long story short, after a 5-year Marathon, the AMD graphic card on my laptop decided to take a long break. Now I am thinking of building my first desktop PC, and I am seeking some advice before buying.
And here is Ended

The purpose of the PC will be both educational and entertainment.
For educational, I aim to run AutoCAD (sometimes in 3D), AutoCAD Revit (not complex structure).
For entertainment, I am hoping the new PC can run The Witcher 3 on high setting with 50-60 FPS. (And still possible to run Cyberpunk 2077 when the game is released).

Here are all the parts I selected based on the info on Logical Increments with the budget of CAD $900-$1100 (or USD$700 to $850):
1. Graphic Card: GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580. (I cannot decide which one to choose, do the level of the graphic card match the level of CPU? Should I get RX 570 instead?)
2. CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X (Should I get better CPU for Rivit?)
3. Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus or MSI X470 Gaming Plus (probably ASUS Prime B450-Plus)
4. RAM: 8GB DDR4, (Update: will upgrade to 16 GB)
5. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Titanium Green Full Tower Chassis with Window (PH-ES614P_TG)
6. Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 620 or SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W.
7. Heat Sink and Fan: (Not sure if I need one, the stock HSF is enough if I do not overclock)
8. (Update) Storage: 250 GB SSD for OS, Office, and AutoCAD. Have two (2) 2.5'' 1TB HDD from old laptop. 1 @ 7200 rpm and 1 @ 5400 rpm (only a few months old)

#Main Concern:#
1. The compatibility of the parts (motherboard for later upgrade, say upgrade to 1080Ti)
2. Level of my current CPU and GPU (are they underpowered for what I need or overpowered)
3. Anything I missed?

There are 3 more GAs (Skullgirls, UNLOVED, and Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition) that sadly already ended in 2 hrs (clicked the wrong time for 3 GAs, that is something isn’t it?). If you are interested, let me know and I will add you to my whitelist (as long as you give away more games than you grab). Stay tuned for more (more like March 7, 2019 when TW:3K is released)

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

We all know why you are here

View Results
Mainly here for the GA(s)
lol, wall of text, TLDR;
5 years on laptop??!! what game did you play for all these years?
Potato
I am here for the WL
Go find a PC building store and go ask them, you are in the wrong place

Its 4AM here and I was just about to go to bed so I will just throw 3 things out there:

• I have been using that power supply for the past 3 years, 0 issues, good choice IMO.
  • 8GB of RAM is a bit low for a gaming machine nowadays, might be worth going with 16GB.
  • You don't have any storage listed. If you don't have an SSD already, you should consider fitting at least a small one for the OS and a game or 2 in your budget. Makes a huge difference in my option.

Sorry for being very vague, but again its 4AM and bed time. Hope someone else can throw their 2 cents in and help you with the rest. Good night :)

5 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I will update the posts. Add you to my WL. Good night!

5 years ago

While 16GB RAM is the norm these days, if you intend on doing lots of graphic work, you might as well get 32GB, unless it is casual work.

5 years ago

Just casual work.

5 years ago

Thank you for WL, I have returned the favor :) 2 more things that came to my mind now in case nobody mentioned it before (too many comments to read through now):

• the connectors of that PSU are really ... umm hard, for the lack of a better word. It is still a great PSU but be ready to have your fingers hurt a little when you try to plug the cables in. At least mine did every damn time. I never had that issue with any other PSU before.
  • If you indeed end up buying a Ryzen CPU this is irrelevant because as far as I know they all come with a cooler. But if you decide to go for Intel in the end and are not planning to but a separate cooler check that it actually comes with a stock one. Some don't. Apparently I was wrong about Ryzen always coming with a stock cooler. Check before buying for either.
5 years ago*

ikr, I never thought I will get so many replies. Still got 10+ unread post.
I never thought about it before. I will go to a physical store to check it out. What other PSU you have used would you recommend?
Right now it is still Ryzen, but I will have a Intel backup option. In the end, it all comes down to price (if the performances are similar) ...

5 years ago

It is always since to see the community come out and help :)

It is not awfully hard to plug in or anything like that, it is just uncomfortable to hold for those 2 seconds while you are plunging the cables in and may hurt a little if your pain tolerance is pretty low like mine. In my opinion it shouldn't be a deal breaker as not to buy it, I just wanted to warn you about it so you wouldn't be surprised like I was.

That is the only PSU that I have ever used that I would actually recommend. All the other ones in the past were cheapo, some borderline fire hazard PSUs that I would never recommend to anyone. This is going to be very much a do as I say and not as I do because I have another computer that has been running 24/7 for the past 3 years on a 20€ PSU: whatever you end up buying, don't cheap out on a PSU as it can kill your other components.

Apparently I was wrong about Ryzen always coming with a stock cooler. You should double check with whichever CPU you will be buying if you won't get a separate cooler.

5 years ago

I think both Ryzen 5 2600 (Wraith Stealth) and 2600x (Wraith Spire) come with stock cooler.

5 years ago

If you indeed end up buying a Ryzen CPU this is irrelevant because as far as I know they all come with a cooler.

Wrong. I bought 1600X last winter, and it was just a CPU without a cooler (just like I prefer).

5 years ago

My bad then, will fix my comment above.

5 years ago

My thoughts:

• If you're using CAD I suspect you'll want more RAM. 8GB doesn't get you far these days. If it's within your budget I'd go with 16GB.
  • Based on gpu.userbenchmark.com the two graphics cards you mention are basically on par so I'd go with whatever's cheaper.
  • I don't see any reason why you couldn't update to a better graphics card later.
  • as far as heatsink goes, generally speaking the stock one will do but if you want to do serious overclocking you'll want a better one.
  • You may want to consider an SSD, possibly as a later upgrade. It's great to have your OS and high performance programs on (e.g. CAD) and I recall a high capacity, quite fast one being released recently for a very good price though I don't recall the manufacturer. Possibly Corsair?

I've built a few computers but I'm not an expert. Let me know if you have any other questions. Overall it looks like a very solid build.

5 years ago

Thank for the advice!! Added you to WL!
Based on the system requirement for both AutoCAD and Revit from Autodesk, 8 GB RAM is good for general use. But 8 GB might not be enough for gaming (Cyberpunk 2077 for sure, their demo requires 32 gb...)
For heatsink, I guess it depends on the use the PC? Does not games mostly requires GPU rather than CPU?
*Yes, SSD for sure. I will check it out. And 1TD HDD for storage.

5 years ago

Thanks! Yeah generally GPU is more important than CPU for games. I have a GTX 970 and haven't run into anything I can't play, but then I don't tend to play overly modern games. Regarding RAM, it will probably run more smoothly with more (especially if you're doing other things in the background), but it's also easy to upgrade later.
The heatsink is used to cool the CPU. If you overclock the CPU it generates more heat. In order to keep overclocking it you need to be able to keep it cool. That's where a better heatsink comes in. It doesn't depend on the PC, it depends on how much you're overclocking. There's nothing stopping you from overclocking on a stock heatsink, you just won't get as far as you could with a better one. And if you don't plan on overclocking then getting a better heatsink is just a waste of money.
EDIT: to be clear, Witcher 3 looks great on my pc @ max specs, so a 1060 wouldn't have any problems with it.

5 years ago*

I will probably get a heatsink for AutoCAD Revit performance boost. It is like buying a SUV of 35000+ with or without power tailgate.
Thanks for the info again!

5 years ago

Not just for overclocking but stock coolers will get thermal underclocked over intense loads. Aftermarket coolers will help with this but again when CPUs get hot, they will underclock. I'd give recommendations on parts but I'm still waiting for prices to drop before I'm thinking of getting back into the pc building hobby.

Personally I run a
AMD FX-8120 running at 3.1GHz
32.0GB DDR3 (I like to multitask)
MSI 970A-G46 (MS-7693)
Zotac GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Three HDDs 1TB/1.5TB/1.5TB and a 500GB CRUCIAL MX300 SSD for whatever programs I use and whatever current games I'm playing.

I find everyone doesn't have enough storage for data integrity following the 3 to 1 method and routine backups (Original, Backup, Offsite) you'll save yourself a lot of stress in the future when a HDD does die.

5 years ago

Same here, waiting for the parts to be on discount as Black Friday and Cyber Monday in about 2 weeks

5 years ago

They only underclock if you are using stock power plan. You can force a CPU to forever stay at a certain clock.
Of cause, if your CPU is above 85+ Celsius that's not entirely good but still within the safe heat range.

5 years ago

I'm no expert on computers but I think you might need more storage?
250GB is used up pretty quickly if you're playing a lot of games.

5 years ago

Yup, I have 2 1TB HDD from old laptops, 1 @ 7200 rpm and 1 @ 5400 rpm. I might just use these 2 2.5 '' HDDs rather than buy new one for desktop. Added you to WL

5 years ago

Sounds gucci :0
All the best with the new computer, looking pretty good so far.

5 years ago

8go can be low like said before but in the worst case you can upgrade later when you'll upgrade your gpu
Do you have hdd or ssd ? 240go ssd it's a quasi mandatory in 2018 (and for the licence of windows take it on a ebay store )
For the gpu , perfs are same , nvidia has some little bonus like physiX (on borderlands 2 etc ) but it's old , Hairworks are heavy for this gpu so don't really know .
IF you don't want overclock or only a little the heatsink of the 2600x do the job .

ps : if you are ok can i try the ga for Injustice :) ?

5 years ago

I have 2 2.5'' 1TB HDD from old laptops. 1 @ 7200 rpm and 1 @ 5400 rpm (only a few months old). I might just use those for storage.
For GPU, I guess I will go for the cost. If I decide to use nvidia, might choose Gigabyte.
For heatsink, I might use Scythe FUMA Rev. B CPU Cooler or Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4. They are not that expensive when the PC is $1000, lol.
Also added you to my WL

5 years ago

The only things I'd do differently are --

1. More RAM. 16GB is pretty much standard these days.
  2. Like others have said, add an SSD for your OS and most used applications/games. Once you try it, you'll never look back.
  3. Get an aftermarket CPU cooler. Stock coolers tend to be loud and do the bare minimum.
5 years ago

Thanks for the advice, added you to WL

5 years ago

The wraith spire cooler on the Ryzen chips are pretty good though.

5 years ago

I never use a stock cooler and/or any fan smaller than 120mm. Too loud for my taste. Just personal preference. :X

5 years ago

Just saying, I agree typically but the wraith spire cooler is great and it's super quiet. =)

5 years ago

8 GB of RAM just won't cut the new games coming out. Go 16 GB and save room for more for later. Also make certain on power supply you have enough fans. One burnt out on me because of inadequate cooling. Also be sure to clean your computer religiously on a regular basis. Especially if you have animals, carpet, and you have to dust a lot. Remember your sound system too. That's so important. Also your monitor. My son took a lovely 28 inch tv and made it my monitor (I'm growing cataracts, lol. Hope you get what you want. Hope I helped.

5 years ago

Thanks a lot. I will take these into consideration. WLed.

5 years ago

I recently was shopping for a graphics card myself, and I think the two cards you mentioned both have good performance, though I personally prefer the Nvidia card more. AMD is the only graphics card that has ever died on me, whereas none of my NVidia cards ever did. If you really dislike noise, then definitely get the GTX. Just a word of caution, it's difficult to uninstall AMD drivers, and requires some special mucking around to do so (you can download a tool that theoretically uninstalls the junk drivers for you, except the program never worked for me). On the other hand, Nvidia puts telemetry stuff in with their drivers now (you can manually disable some of the telemetry).

16 GB = decent. Though I'd say make sure you get good RAM (rather than the budget RAM that goes bad after a year). If you are building your own system, I highly recommend getting RAM at a brick & mortar store with a good / lenient return policy in case the RAM is bad or turns out to be incompatible with your system (which can happen unexpectedly).

Case - just make sure it has slots for hd's positioned reasonably, and enough slots for however many new hd's or other drives you want to install later. Nothing worse than wanting to add a new hard drive, and finding out you've run out of slots, or that the position of the slot makes it impossible to run the power cable to both the new drive and the one right above it!

You can hold off on getting the heat sink & fan -- first just install the stock cooler, then run a temperature monitoring app like CoreTemp & see if your CPU cores get anywhere near the Tj-max temps when running Witcher 3 or any demanding program. If you need a better cooler: I've found Cooler Master makes some pretty good coolers.

CPU - I personally prefer Intels, as they seem to be compatible with more stuff. However, AMD is cheaper. I've never had a problem with Intel CPU's when building my own systems, I've had problems with AMD's though -- they've been fickle for me.

Motherboard - I like ASUS, they seem to have the gamer in mind, and they make it easy to expand / upgrade components.

Power supply - just make sure it has enough connectors, the right type of connectors, and the connectors are long enough to reach where they need to go inside your case! Also I recommend to invest in a good surge protector & plug it into a grounded outlet -- or you might end up with a fried power supply, and possibly a fried CPU, after any kind of power surge or blackout.

Storage - If you run Windows, figure 100 GB for the OS. That only leaves 150 GB for everything else. Highly recommend later adding a cheap, plain internal HDD 7200 rpm, a few TB's at least. (And, if you value your AutoCAD work, also consider getting an external / portable backup hard drive or even a flash drive -- portables are nicer for backup in that they are faster, lighter, quieter, and get power from USB rather than needing their own power adapter, however they are also more expensive than plain external drives).

I guess the main thing is to have fun building your own system! You will be really happy you did it afterwards!

5 years ago*

The AMD Radeon graphic card on my laptop gives me headache since I bought it back in 2013. I am just surprised I endured it for 5 year (mainly because I was in school, lol) I will go with GTX this time. Hopefully I do not need to uninstall and reinstall Nvidia driver every time Windows updates itself. (I had to uninstall and reinstall both AMD and Intel HD driver every time window 8.1 updates or the graphic driver update, not a fun experience)
For RAM, I will definitely get them in physical stores rather than online.
For the case, I guess it is better to buy it physical stores in case it does not work.
For heatsink, that is my plan. I will check Cooler Master out.
For CPU, I worry about the same thing. I will do more research about this.
Power supply, I never thought about that before.
Yeah, the main reason why I wanted to build it myself is the fun. It is always fun to learn new stuff.
Thanks for the advice, added you to my WL.

5 years ago

I'd recommend the RX580. It is faster and cheaper. AMD drivers are much better now, better than Nvidia IMO. Also, if you've got a FreeSync monitor you should definitely choose the RX580 as Nvidia doesn't have FreeSync.

By the way, if you dont have a monitor already, I'd either go with a 1440p60 or 1080p144 one. Depends how much you game and how much you CAD.

5 years ago

GPU dying has less to do with AMD or Nvidea than the actual manufacturer.

5 years ago

Hmm, that is probably true. The AMD I got was from Sapphire.

5 years ago

I've always had Intel CPUs (they are much more common/available where I live), but I've always admired AMD for giving Intel a run for their money.
So I was considering to get the Ryzen 5 2600x in the near future.
Do you think I should get the Intel i5-8400 instead?

5 years ago

I think you should search online for as many articles as you can find on the best CPU's, then make a spreadsheet with a Pros & Cons column for each, then rank the CPU's and choose the top one.

5 years ago

Don't know the card or CPU myself for gaming.. I also need to look into that to replace my Home box.

From the little I've read. The 1060 6GB version is far better then the 3GB. stay away from the 3GB version. 1070 would future proof you but the 6GB of the 1060 should be a great card and run any current game very nicely. Should be fine for VR as well. ..... but thats based on what I've read. I've not done the research I would want if I was buying today.

But.

8GB is fine for a basic office machine and OK for decent gaming but you will want 16GB for a new gaming box. I would not start a current build with only 8GB.

250 is your minimum SSD. I'd go 512GB for your home box. 1TB would be nice but I don't currently think its needed or worth the extra cost. Your going to want to install everything to the SSD. That includes your steam games. It will make a big difference. A SSD is the biggest bang for the buck in terms of performance you can do. Everyone should be running an SSD now on all computers. I no longer buy office machines for work that are only HD based. I implemented a SSD policy a couple years ago. SSD for boot and all program installs and HD for general storage. All work boxes currently get a 256GB SSD and a 1 or 2 TB HD depending on what came with it when I set one up.

My home box (older then your old laptop) has gone from just a 2TB drive. to adding a 120GB SSD... to swapping in a 256GB SSSD to its current 512GB SSD with a 4TB HD. I still feel like I need space. my unRaid box has plenty of room however :)

I would go much bigger then 1TB for HD storage. I'd say 4TB is the current sweet spot for price. The price diff from a 1TB to a 4TB is not a big spread. Get the 4TB for any home box.

5 years ago

My main concern for 1060 6GB is the price. Read that the price is currently inflated due to crypto mining.
Thanks for the advice, added you to my WL

5 years ago

Just want to jump in here and add that you may want to wait till Black Friday / Cyber Monday if you are in the US. Typically, prices are much cheaper those days. Additionally, I found that signing up for deal alerts at a deals site like Slickdeals helped me catch some ridiculously good prices for CPU's, GPU's, and portable hard drives! :D

P.s. Thanks for adding me to your WL, added you back! :)

5 years ago

That is the plan. Bestbuy Canada already started some of the Black Friday sell. Worst case scenario, wait for Christmas... Just 1 more month gaming with Intel HD 4000, lol
Edit: The deals site looks great, thanks!

5 years ago

Tbh, from experience I heard from Twitch Friends and Streamers, they have the best prices for computers and computer items from BestBuy. I do not live in NA, I'm from South East Asia so I can never take up the advantage. Take a trip to BB and shop around a little and see if the price is favourable.
Cheers, Cruse~

5 years ago

I've found Best Buy occasionally has really good deals, however they tend to sell out fast on those items. They sell on eBay too, if that's useful somehow to you. I snagged a 2TB WD Portable HD for US$30 from their eBay store a while back, people were buying like 50 of those drives at a time though & they ran out fast.

5 years ago

Thank you but I won't building my own PC just yet. I'll take note. Indeed, I've heard really good deals from others' experience there. I can only wish there is a BestBuy here. Hahaha
Regards and Cheers, Cruse~ :D

5 years ago

I have bookmarked all the parts I need to buy from Best Buy and Canada Computers. Nov 23 will be fun. Glad that I should be back from my business trip that day so I should have enough time to buy the parts I need.

5 years ago

Np, glad to hear!

5 years ago

Friend, I never have luck with AMD (CPU or GPU). Always had a poor performance and broke very fast. So I changed to Intel and NVidia and since then everything works fine. I suggest an Intel I5 (or even an I3), with a GTX1060 (or even a 1050TI). I think 8Gb RAM is enough for now.
Thank you for the GA. I have an interest in Unloved GA if possible.

Good luck with your new machine.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Motherboards for Intel are so far with better quality than AMD due demands from Intel.

5 years ago*

I never had AMD CPU before, but my experience with AMD GPU make me hesitate on choosing AMD again. I guess need more research on the Ryzen 5 2600X. Added you to WL

5 years ago

Were there any issues with your AMD GPU previously, other than the latest blowout? I've had mine for over 5 years and two huge house moves until i started seeing horizontal lines last year. Still I went for a GeForce GTX 1080 based on the advice of my neighborhood computer tech :P

Could I also enter for your Unloved GA please?

5 years ago

Go ahead, you are on my WL.

5 years ago

Much appreciated, thank you for the GA and best of success with your new gaming PC :)

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

I've always had Intel CPUs (they are much more common/available where I live), but I've always admired AMD for giving Intel a run for their money.
So I was considering to get the Ryzen 5 2600x in the near future.
Do you think I should get the Intel i5-8400 instead?

5 years ago

I was the owner of a lan gaming center in Brazil. I had about 25 computers. Most computers used AMD CPUs. As I said, the performance of AMD CPUs was lower compared to Intel (OK, because they are cheaper). I had no problems with burnt CPUs. However, the biggest problem with me was the fact that motherboards for AMD were of VERY inferior quality. I've never had any Ryzen CPU though, just because I started using only Intel.

5 years ago

So if you didn't have any problems with AMD, why did you not continue using them and switched to Intel?

5 years ago

I had....with motherboards for AMD's CPU and GPUs...besides, I never liked the performance of them. The Intel demands from manufactors a certain quality control for motherboards for Intel's CPU.

5 years ago

Not saying anything against SeaSonic, but highly recommend getting high quality PSU!
Check out Fortron or Fractal Design.
I'm using integra m 650w modular 80+ bronze.
SSD are hitting their lowest point, so I would suggest getting 500GB SSD. The price difference aint much and extra 250gb might be a lot.
Games and other programs getting bigger and bigger so I would suggest this.
Everything else looks really good.
Hope I helped and good lock, keep us posted when you build it.

5 years ago

Seasonic is one of the most reputable PSU brands out there.
They're the OEM for many PSU manufacturers, and in fact they're the OEM for Fractal Designs' high end power supplies.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page530.htm

5 years ago

Sorry, as I said nothing against SeaSonic, just never heard of them.
Glad you've posted this information :)

5 years ago

High quality PSU is needed for sure. WLed

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Sorry to jump in here, but does anyone know if Vengeance 3000 DDR4 RAM is a good "fit" for a B450M Mortar motherboard? I've never done anything AMD but I'm also transitioning between an older Intel to a 2600x. Added you to my WL, for what it's worth!

5 years ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#m=8&c=133

You can use this to find your motherboard, then check the list of compatible RAM for it.
(You can also find your RAM and check the list of compatible motherboards)

5 years ago

This site is quite helpful. Thanks!

5 years ago

Not an expert. Only thoughts.

1. If price is same or lower for 1060 take 1060. In other case take what you like more (allmost no difference in performance)
  2. Ryzen 5 2600X is nice cpu for it`s price. High grade is more for profesionals and enthusiasts.
  3. ASUS Prime B450-Plus seems more reasonable. MSI looks like is more for overclocking.
  4. 16 gb is ok for gaming and education. Consider future upgrade to 32G
  5. Any is good (for me) if power supplies place is on the bottom and have place for couple 90mm (in-out) fans.
  6. I would prefer SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W. But both are good.
  7. No overclocking no need in advanced cooling.
  8. Yes, for OS and couple games/ programs in that you want best performance.
    Note: there is three type of ssd - SLC, MLC and TLC. google the difference, some times it`s effects the choice.
    Good luck with upgrade :)
5 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Added you to my WL.

• The case I choose has one 120 mm intake and one 120mm out fan. Power supply is also placed at the bottom, so the case should be good.
  • I will stick with MLC or eMLC. SLC looks overkill to me for now.
5 years ago

• Get more RAM. I found 8 MB to be limiting with Windows 10 (Chrome is using 4 GB right now!) and bought another 16 MB for a total of 24 MB, which is more than enough for what I do (nothing more taxing than gaming and internet). I would go for 16 MB (2 x 8 MB), leaving 2 slots free for future expansion if necessary. CAD needs RAM: "As a general rule, Revit requires 20 times the RAM of the loaded Revit (RVT) project file. So a 200 MB RVT file requires approximately 4 GB of RAM to open. Add to this the RAM needed to run the operating system and to keep other applications like a web browser open. To be safe, a 200MB RVT file requires at least 8 GB of RAM, while a 1 GB file requires roughly 32 GB." - https://www.augi.com/articles/detail/optimum-performance-hardware-for-revit
  • Don't bother with an aftermarket heatsink to start with. It's an easy upgrade later on, and you will probably find that the stock one is adequate (that is what it was designed for). The case you are looking at seems to be well designed in terms of moving plenty of air for cooling.
  • I would get a SSD big enough for the operating system, CAD file storage, CAD program (5 GB for Revit), and possibly any games you play that frequently load data, e.g. large open world games.
  • Don't cut corners with the graphics card - that is going to be the hardest working component for most games. The parallel processing power of NVIDIA's CUDA technology used to be marketed as beneficial for complex modelling and calculations but I'm not up to speed on the current NVIDIA vs AMD battle with regards to CAD. Tom's Hardware currently has the AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB recommended over the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB for gaming value for money due to its similar pricing (in the market they have access to) and slightly better performance, particularly in DirectX12 games. It does, however, use more power under load.
  • For CPUs, I'm not up to speed with the current state of play. Revit recommends "Multi-Core Intel Xeon, or i-Series processor or AMD equivalent with SSE2 technology (which the CPU you are looking at surpasses). Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended. Autodesk Revit software products will use multiple cores for many tasks, using up to 16 cores for near-photorealistic rendering operations" - https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Revit-2019-products.html
  • Those won't be any motherboard related issues upgrading the graphics card in the future: even the NVIDIA GTX 2080 Ti uses the same PCIe 3.0 x16 connection. Greater power demands would be more relevant, and it looks like you have that covered.
5 years ago

Thank you for the advice. Added you to my WL.
I will go with 16GB RAM for sure. I used to play payday 2 when the graphic card still works on my laptop. It sometimes reach 80% of my 8GB RAM.
250 GB SSD might be enough for me. I am using 76 GB for Windows 10 and all the software I use on my current laptop, and about 100 GB for all the games I have installed. (apparently I will go with 500 GB if I wants to play RDR2)
I had bad experience with AMD graphic card (Had the problem with driver update and windows update since I got it) So I am currently leaning more towards 1060 6GB (even though it might be more expensive)
Looks like we were looking at the same website :) I went with "Value: Balanced price and performance" because this PC is only for educational purpose

5 years ago

Pretty solid build. I’d lean towards the gtx 1060 as most professionals I know swear by them for general compatibility and cuda. Plus the 1060 should be sufficient to run everything at high on 1080p.
Couple other notes - 16gb ram is totally necessary.

• you might want to look at a larger ssd. Prices are plummeting, expect another huge price drop within a month. Also, prices on NVE M.2 drives are getting to the point that they are worth considering. NVE drives don’t rely on SATA interface and therefore are blazing fast.
5 years ago

I will take that into consideration. Will shop for SSD last. Thanks for the advice. Added you to my WL.

5 years ago

I wish I knew enough to help :/ (I'm learning myself.)
Thank you for the giveaway and I wish you good luck on your set up! 👍

5 years ago

I am not well-educated in hardware so sadly cant help you with advice. Have a BUMP instead! And i would like a chance in Injustice giveaway if thats okay. Have a great Sunday!

5 years ago

Go ahead. Added you to WL. (W/S ratio looks quite good)

5 years ago

Thx for a chance, added you to mine as well)

5 years ago

I think something glitched, i see that you added me but SG thinks that you didnt :D

5 years ago

For some reason when I check the page again, the blue heart is gone. Maybe I double clicked, lol. Now should be fine.

5 years ago

Yeah, now its working properly, thx again)

5 years ago

I too am running on my laptop that is pushing just past 4 years - but mine hasn't died yet. But I also have several gaming desktops and have bought over $50k of video cards, mobos, cpus and PSUs in the last 5 years (I was/am mining). Here's my thoughts:

1) I currently own about 50 1060s and 30 RX 470s. Not a single one has failed mining because I picked ones with very good cooling designs. AMD vs nVidia doesn't matter so much as both those cards are neck and neck more or less. The nVidia is the better option if electricity is expensive or you want a cooler running rig (this is why I sadly game on a 1050Ti even though I have lots of 1080Tis mining). The Pascal chips are insanely efficient. AMD with the 580 would have an extra 2GB of RAM and if you like your textures high or tend to do static things like CAD that could be more beneficial. AMD cards tend to be better at computation at the consumer level so your CAD might perform better with the 580. The pricepoint for the 1060 6GB is in fact way too high - you would be better off going with a 1070Ti if you can afford it. Otherwise the RX 580 is the better option. More GRAM helps for future games as well as better Vulcan/DX12 support for newer titles. nVidia 1060 will sadly only get slower as newer drivers come out (I thing i hate about nvidia). BTW the only video card I had die in the last 3 years was a 750Ti which never mined lol - so sad I used it to game and it died. Thermal cycles are the worst for video cards. EVGA is the best for nvidia. For AMD go with MSI, Asus or Gigabyte in that general order (I own all 3 brands. XFX makes some good cards at times, it varies model to model). If you're getting an aftermarket HSF as noted below, it makes sense to get a dual or triple fan option. Single blower fans are very reliable and do a wonderful job extracting heat from a case but they are loud - no point getting a silent HSF and then getting a loud GPU cooling solution.
2) Ryzen 5 is fine. With Zen 1 AMD had compatibility issues with a lot of RAM but the newer B and X 4xx chipsets are doing fine and honestly Intel is playing catching up in the middle tier. RAM choice is more important if you go Ryzen.
3) Asus X470 should be fine
4) As many have stated, you probably want to get 16GB. I know DDR4 is overpriced still (more than double what I was paying in middle 2016). Skip RGB silliness if you can and get a good set with good timings - especially if you go Ryzen instead of Intel I5.
5) Cases are always an aesthetic choice more often than functional
6) Seasonic is of course awesome. But if you buy OEM Seasonics you often pay less. EVGA is really blowing out insane sales on their proven G3 line which has SuperFlowers - I would just get a Gold 750 G3 and pocket the money unless you can get the Seasonic for the same price.
7) Ryzen stock wraith cooler is decent. It's usually a pain in the butt to change out to something that needs to be mounted to the mobo backplate because the board usually needs to come out again unless the case is nice enough to allow access to back of mobo. A cheap Coolermaster Hyper 212 is usually $15 to $25 and can allow for near Ninja level performance.
8) Probably the most important thing!!! Throw an SSD in there! The only reason I stand using my laptop is because I put a nice 750GB Crucial MX 300 I got on Amazon Black Friday for $99. Yeah I still think SSD prices are still too high but they are much better than a year ago. I would skip Samsung and just go with a Crucial MX500 model. The larger you go with SSD usually the better the performance. Get a 500GB minimum since 250GB leaves little room to work with. Anything above 500GB might be overkill unless your CAD and you Steam directory need it.

As far as future-proofing - the 1080/1080Ti will never get cheaper than they are now. nVidia has really been a disappointment in my eyes with the RTX series. They gave up die space for raytracing which is currently useless. Of course they had no need to compete because Vega 64 still lags behind. Ah the joys of duopolies. Once they sell out on the glut of GTX cards which I think they are keeping artificially high by pricing RTX cards in insaneland, the RTX cards will drop to a reasonable price at which point it would make sense to go to a 2080 because Raytracing might actually be in games then. What I'm hoping is AMD is able to divert enough money from their CPU profits to get their 7nm Vega nodes out next year. AMD might actually have something that would compete or beat nVidia in DX12 games. So if you have lots of money get a 1070Ti right now (the 1080/1080Ti seem to have jumped up in price $50 from a recent trough). If you're willing, resell your card later and buy a cheap RX580 (cheaper than 1060 6GB for sure) and spend it on the new AMD 7nm lineup next year or go to RTX since nvdia should have their issues sorted out with those 2080 cards by then.

Good luck on the new build, may the frames be with you!

5 years ago*

Wow, thank you for the advice. I will do more research on GPU.
1) Sadly, my budget limit me to 1060 6GB and RX 580. For gaming, I mainly want to play the Witcher 3 (still have not played it because my potato laptop) and RX 580 seems to perform better than 1060 6 GB.
2) Will check the RAM out.
3) I might just use B450-Plus due to the slight cheaper price and Bluetooth. lol
4) 16 GB for sure.
5) I will look for cheaper case as long as they have 1 in and 1 out fan, so I can spend more on RAM, lol.
6) Will check those out.
7) Will check it out.
8) If I can score a deal like that I will definitely go with high SSD.
Added you to WL :)

5 years ago

Well, some people already said that you should go with 16gb of ram instead of 8. Besides that, for gaming perhaps you could go for a gtx 1070 instead, but I'm not sure if that's over your budget.
One important thing to know is when are you planning on buying the PC, since new AMD GPUs are supposed be announced in less than two months. Maybe you could wait, or buy everything except for the GPU, and if they offer better performance per dollar than NVidia go for AMD instead.
I read about your concerns with AMD, their CPUs used to be trash that would heat up a lot, but since Ryzen came out, they seem to be doing a far better job than Intel. Intel's CPUs nowadays are just refreshed products from 2-3 years. When it comes to value Ryzen 5 seems like the better choice. I have an Intel i5 4th gen, never had any problems in 5 years, but Intel is way overpriced now, so I'd say Ryzen.
With the GPU stuff... never owned something from NVidia, but they basically control the market now unless AMD releases something competitive during CES. A previous R9 270 stopped working when the some new drivers came out. I have an R9 390 and works fine.
It may be worth waiting till january to see what AMD launches, since changes between gens in GPUs tend to be way more notorious than with CPUs, but that depends on when do you need your PC.
As for the PSU, 600-650W should be more than enough, but look for one that is at least 80+ bronze.
Lastly, from what I understand, bigger SSDs are supposed to be marginally faster so a 500gb one should be faster. I have a 250gb and the difference with a HDD is huge. But they should drop in price even more in the coming months.
If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck with your build and thanks for the GA :)

5 years ago

Thanks!
I will shop SSD and GPU last. If the price for GPU is good during sells (in 2 weeks), I will probably buy it now. Maybe resell it later and upgrade it to new gen.
I have Intel i7-3623QM for 5 years now, and it is still quite good. The main reason I am choosing Ryzen now is because of the price. I would love to get i7-8700k, but like you said, the price is above the budget.

Added you to my WL! Enjoy 3 more GAs

5 years ago

I would say that CAD does nt take much ram unless u are using 3Dmax which slows down ur computer if u are rendering. (I have 2x 8gb ram for lptop and it works well).

5 years ago

1. One thing I looked for--and did not see--was any mention of Thunderbolt 3 support. TB3 uses the exact same size port as USB C, and all TB3 ports can run/power USB C (and supply USB 3.1 Gen 2 to USB 3.1 Gen2 devices). The only reason to not include TB3 on a motherboard is cheapness on the part of the manufacturer. More info here.
  2. Consider getting a matched set of DDR4 8GB sticks, and put them in the correct slots in order to get dual-channel memory! (either 1 & 3 / 2 & 4 or 1 & 2 / 3 & 4--check). Since you have 4 slots, you can upgrade to 32GB in a couple of years by adding another matched set of 8GB sticks, and remember, RAM only runs as fast as the slowest stick installed.
  3. We have had great success with Corsair PSUs over the years (read the reviews and don't get the model--by any manufacturer--where people claim they make great toasters. 😉). I am glad to see you are getting a modular-cable PSU--they are worth the money.
  4. I recommend using the included m.2 slots on your mobo (whichever you get) for a SSD; if you can afford it, go for a M.2 SSD PCIe NVMe [PCIe 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s (e.g. xxxGB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe)].
    If you can afford it, the difference between a SATA 3 SSD at 6Gb/s and a PCIe (3.0x4) NVMe at 32Gb/s is, I think, worth it for large applications or for writing/reading huge amounts of data.
    The smallest I would go for would be 512GB, as some games (it seems more and more every year, including some from 5 years ago) are recommending that they be installed on a SSD.
  • If you are concerned about a specific game, remember you can always check game-debate to check a particular game[s] with various hardware at your desired resolution.

• Furthermore, check (google etc) to see if there are incompatibilities between whichever motherboard you go with and the part number of the GPU. I do not know if the manufacturer of the GPU chipset matters (eg ASUS, MSI, EVGA etc)

• Regarding the GPU and noise, I do not know and am interested in the answer to my question, which is as follows:
    You have a scale of "neediness of hardware guts" which ranges from 1-100 (100 being high). You want to run a program which is a 50 on that scale, and you have two GPUs. One of the GPUs can hit 55 on the scale, while the other can hit 75.
    Question: All other things being equal, will the 75-capable GPU be quieter than the 55-capable GPU when running the program (which needs 50)? If yes, you might wish to upgrade the GPU to reduce the noise produced by running what would be GPU-intensive stuff on the GPU you currently wish to go with.

• One further note: Do not believe those who claim that Nvidia Quadro cards are no good at gaming. They are good, just not as good for gaming as the GTX series. I have a Quadro Mobile card and can attest that they (at least the Quadro mobile cards) are decent at gaming, just not as good as their GeForce GTX equivalents.

I would like to join your WL for the Injustice giveaway.

5 years ago*

Thanks for the advice. WLed, Enjoy the GAs.

5 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate it!
I apologize for the wall of text that you had to read.

5 years ago

No worries. The more you write, the more I learn. I am new to PC building so any information would help.

5 years ago

Thank you for your kind words :)
I realize I didn't explain my comment on point 2 very well, so I feel I ought to remind you that the reason you wish dual-channel memory is that it is about 30% faster (setup as dual-channel) than the same amount of ram setup as single-channel memory (regardless of whether you have 1 or 2 sticks in a single-channel setup). The difference is tremendously noticeable if you do not have a dedicated GPU, but that isn't relevant here :P

5 years ago*

thankl you bumpy

5 years ago

• PSU is overpowered, but as I read you're planning to upgrade to a 1080Ti maybe in the future, in that case it makes sense.
  • Heat Sink and Fan: stock ones are enough indeed, but they are often noisy. Still, I read good things about Ryzen's stock coolers. But I never used one myself (the Ryzens I set up at work came without stock coolers so we got independent ones).
  • RAM yes 16 GB is a must. Actually, Windows 10 manages RAM like shit and at work I had to upgrade from 16 to 32 GB because just by opening lots of browsers and visual studio code sessions and opening+closing GIMP I sometimes ran out eventually. Note though that I disable swapping, which might be the main cause of those problems.
  • For the CPU, check benchmarks, but last time I checked Ryzen provided great perf/buck ratio. At work we got, progressively, 3 Ryzen-based machines over the last 9 months, and everyone using them is really happy about their perf
  • For disks, personally I go 100% cheap SSDs now, but with your budget I guess that's not possible so your updated choice seems good. Just remember that any SSD beats the hell out of any HDD, so no need to go for a fancy expensive SSD (just check a few reviews to make sure your particular pick doesn't exceptionally suck).
5 years ago

Since the PC will be used for both gaming and productivity, I read Ryzen performs better than intel i5-8500.
Thanks for the advice! Added you to WL.

5 years ago

Please don't buy chinese knock off brands though, some of them are worse than HDD's.

5 years ago

Yeah, do your due diligence about the particular model you're getting, depending also on your local market, but to give you an example a few months ago I managed to grab a 1TB SSD for 140€ and it's good enough to play Far Cry 5 on it.

5 years ago

I believe in "you get what you paid". For storage, I would buy a decent SSD. My 4 year-old HDD died when I was in my last semester of school, lost quite a lot of important stuff including my final design project and designs for a national competition. But if the product is on huge discount and the review is not bad, I would definitely grab it.

5 years ago

You can go cheaper on the SSD as in you don't need the Samsung EVO that everybody loves. A Crucial MX500 or WD Blue should be adequate. If you go cheap you run the risk of having data corruption and higher failure rates. I have bought 3 PNY SSDs and 2 of them are flaky because they used cheaper controllers. ADATA is probably the cheapest brand I would go to. You can get Inland brand sold at Microcenter but a lot of people have trouble with those failing after 2 to 3 years. I've yet to have an SSD outright fail on me.

5 years ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/StudentPG/saved/
Hopefully you will be able to see my build above and it is funny but I looked at similar set up as you have. 2600x is a good choice, stock fan will ok if you do not OC and have good air flow in your case (best to check that in a review, as this will have big impact on your thermals). When it comes to GPUs I read a lot and there is a small difference between them, so go for the cheaper as someone mentioned before, I went for rx 580 nitro as there was good discount on amazon uk. Seasonic is a good brand and there should be no problems with that. I won't dwell on the RAM as others did that, only thing is go for the 3200mhz as it is sweet spot for the 2600x, it will work more efficient with higher ram speeds. All in all I am waiting for black Friday now :)

5 years ago

Hahaha, I am also waiting for Black Friday discount. Does RX 580 give you any headache in terms of driver support and update?
Added you to WL.

5 years ago

Hi sorry for late reply. after 3 weeks of using it I did not get any issues at all

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

It's a solid build and others already said enough. For CAD and rendering purposes i strongly suggest to use Ryzen for its multicore capabilities. PSU gets a thumbs up, but some other alternatives might be EVGA B2 series and Corsair CXm series, depending on your local prices. If you plan into upgrading the GPU my suggestion is to save money now by getting a 1050ti and eventually upgrading to a 2080 later on when and if prices decrease. But if you want to play TW3 at high settings right now you should get at least a 580/1060 or maybe a used 1070.

5 years ago

Thanks for the advice. The main reason I chose Ryzen is for CAD and rendering, and price of course. I will add the 1050ti into my alternative option.
Cannot add you to my WL because you are already in it :)

5 years ago

My recommendation
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: Go to 16GB no 8GB and check compatibility list of your motherboard you choose
Power Supply: Check your needs https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
(Update) Storage: (Not recommended 1 @ 5400 rpm (only a few months old))

5 years ago

Will check them out. Thanks for the advice. Added you to WL.
For the storage, ik that 5400 rpm HDD is not good at all. I might just keep it in my current laptop as a backup computer then.

5 years ago

Your are welcome. Added you too. If you need any further help, knock!!!

5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago by ColdOut.