Well, according to Rock Paper Shotgun, at least.

Here are some of my favorite bits from the article:

The stabbing causes V to level up, and the person playing the demo opens up a menu with twelve options for skill points, though we don’t get a good look at them. Once the menu’s closed, a man comes at us with superhuman speed, but we grab hold of him and advance on a turret as it riddles his body with bullets. Then – because again, we’re very strong – we rip the turret off its base and turn it on the Animals. At this point, I feel increasingly uncomfortable that we’re shooting at predominantly black people labeled as animals

I want moral dilemmas and thoughtful exploration of transhumanism. More importantly, I want the game not to lean on racial stereotypes

He told me that nuance would appear over the course of the game and that the Animals would appear again under different circumstances. He didn’t give me any examples of that nuance, mind

We’re discovered soon after, as a stealth attack goes awry. We punch that man to the floor, then stab another Animal many times with a broken bottle as they try to run away from us. It’s horrible

Once our cover’s blown, we start hacking people’s robo-arms, making them prematurely pull grenades or shoot themselves in the head. It is, again, horrible

I asked Tomaszkiewicz for examples of quests that explored the kinds of questions I’m interested in. Questions less like “how many people can I chop to bits at once with my Nanowire”, and more “what are these cranial augmentations doing to my identity”

I’m also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk’s handling of non-white cultures... I asked Tomaszkiewicz if he was concerned they weren’t treating certain cultures with enough respect

Welp, time to cancel my preorder then.

On a serious note, I agree with what someone wrote about this article elsewhere: "Isn't that a fluff piece? They write those as they know it will give them traffic. Be it from people who want to agree with them, or people who want to be outraged by them.
It's proven to be a pretty effective way of actually getting "engagement", and in the long run advertisement revenue, and is basically what keeps the lights on at many of those video game "news" outlets. Most of them have like 80% fluff, 20% "real" articles. (Numbers were made up on the spot, don't read too much into them, but the majority tends to be fluff).
The best thing we can do if we want to change things is to focus on the actual news articles, the ones that are not just fluff and spread those, and hope that other people will follow. But sadly clickbait is just such an effective way of getting views that I doubt we'll stop seeing mostly fluff anytime soon"

In any case, I got my fun out of this article, what about you?

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

(what's that archive.fo thing? :o)

edit: BOOKMARKLET < -- the <3

4 years ago

well, it should not be shooter itself and it can be improved later.

4 years ago

Idk maybe is also the fact that RPS is full of snowflakes

4 years ago

But sadly clickbait is just such an effective way of getting views

Case in point, see OP's title of this thread.

4 years ago

Well, technically, it's not my title, I took it from RPS :>

4 years ago

Thus utilizing the same attention grabbing method as RPS

4 years ago

Dont mess the doctor, he knows his stuff XD

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

You're not cool unless you hate everything and want to die.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

You say "Yikes", but he's not really wrong. 4Chan, Reddit's r/me_irl, r/2meirl4meirl and other meme pages tend to focus self-deprecation that has devolved into supporting actual issues. For example, a meme that basically says that the person's public with his depression everywhere but with their therapist. One of the top comments is about a person having a dead-end job and how they still have a couple of years left. A response asks for them to explain the "couple of years" comment, to which the response is basically them saying that they'll kill themselves. Responses are essentially just "Same".

This shit's embedded deep into meme culture. Where in 2016 you had a lot of self-deprecation, in 2018 it evolved so far that it's become normal to not only be public with social and mental issues, but to also condone them and to not look for a change. It's terrible to see it happening. People say they're lonely because they can't convince themselves to go out with people, yet when they have a plan and the person starts flaking over that plan, people just say "Just stay at home, it's not worth it".

Mind you, I still like self-deprecating memes and obvious edgy humor. But it's evolved further than that too. :/

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Yeah, it's terrible. Luckily, it's not all doom and gloom with even today, one of those Reddit subs seeing a meme that's literally just text saying that they went to a therapist and they got help and they recommend it to others. A meme that got a load of upvotes and the comments were mainly positive or just jokes.

As to "Yikes", it can be both. Either shock and bewilderment (pretty much what it used to always be) or an expression of cringe towards something, for example extreme edginess, which I thought that's what you were saying. Both are fine, it was me that assumed you were using it for the more "internet-y" definition since Doc said a pretty straightforward and edgy thing. Basically, me a dum-dum :D

4 years ago

It's really creepy to see people enforcing eachother's bad behaviour and drag eachother back from trying to get out of a negative place. And "protecting" eachother from help by claiming everyone is free to have their choice so don't even try to help them. Then more and more flocks together in the lukewarm puddle of nothinghappens.

4 years ago

enforcing eachother's bad behaviour and drag eachother back from trying to get out of a negative place.

That's the term I had on the tip of my tongue but just couldn't get out. Well put. They don't want to improve themselves, but they don't want to look worse, so they want others to stay in the slump as well.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

I am so uncool... :(

4 years ago

No, you have to be positive and negative towards the "right" things. You must be positive towards Star Wars movies and negative towards games like Cyberpunk 2077, for example. Do not dare deviate from the script your moral betters in society have dictated for you.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago*

lol, basically this
the "cool" thing is being a different (or in my word, a d*ck)

4 years ago

+2!

4 years ago

A great RPG doesn't always need to have great combat. Look at Morrowind, one of the best of all time - that game had shitty combat.

4 years ago

n'wah!

4 years ago

CDPR agrees (kinda)

4 years ago

I would add Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines 1 and Deus Ex 1 in a similar camp.

4 years ago

Bloodlines' combat's only redeeming feature was celerity and potence, but it was so stupid like the player wasn't even taking part in it.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 months ago.

4 years ago

Witcher 3 combat wasn't all that great either.. still an amazing game. Imma wait for the game to come out and make my own judgements. It's possible that it's totally overhyped and ends up sucking, but CDPR has a good track record so I don't think that will be the case.

4 years ago

The combat is good at the highest difficulty (as you need to actually learn how to utilize it properly) but boring on the easier ones as with a lot of games sadly.

4 years ago

Witcher 3 combat is easy on death march. Compared to Witcher 2 at least.

4 years ago

RPS has had a few worthwhile articles over the years, but it got longer and longer between them to the point where I just deleted the bookmark.

Sadly the site is entirely about being outraged over the latest thing so that any decent journalism that they would actually put the effort into would be buried by all the shit they spout.

4 years ago

RPS lost me since the Rimworld debacle, and PCGamer is not better, filled with ads pretending to be articles. Now I use https://thegamerspost.com, which is a site that scrapes all the articles from many sites and presents them in the front page. I end up reading the Eurogamer ones most of the time

4 years ago

Nice website, thank you for sharing!

4 years ago

Oh god I'd forgotten about the Rimworld shit... That was RPS?

4 years ago

Yeah... hehe they were the ones. I was an avid RPS reader till then, nowadays I still like their Top/Best games lists, and Alice O'Connor writes funny things now and then.

4 years ago

I agree with you regarding Eurogamer. It's one of the last few places where authors review video games without derailing into idiocy and I've read some great pieces from them in the past that were interesting as well as educational. Here are the few of my favorites:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-02-the-quest-for-shadow-of-the-colossuss-last-big-secret
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-03-the-untapped-potential-of-deus-ex

4 years ago

Peter Molyneux used to be a goldmine for game analists/journalists and good source of memes... I hope the new Fable game is more like the first one!

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

I want moral dilemmas and thoughtful exploration of transhumanism...
More importantly, I want the game not to lean on racial stereotypes

...What? I don't wanna read too much into this article because I know where it's coming from and I have no interest in that lense whatsoever--but I really don't think this author understands cyberpunk. Cyberpunk at it's core is always about exploring humanity at the most basic fundamental level, in juxtaposition to the setting. It's an exploration on how humanity and our nature will and won't change despite all the advancement we make, and how that advancement may even play into the worse parts of our nature. And it puts the ugly to the forefront to achieve that despite the grand, unfamiliar, futuristic setting. And humanity by nature is tribal--racism, bigotry, xenophobia and all that will never go away completely. To say you want thoughtful exploration of moral dilemmas, transhumanism and the like--and NOT want the parts that make you uncomfortable, and for the game not to touch on one the biggest causes of social uproar of our time (and really history)... Again, what? Is it because it (and the violence) makes you uncomfortable? If so, anything -punk isn't for you. That by nature should always be challenging, to everyone. What the hell was this guy expecting. And why the hell did RPS choose to send him to the demo--his tastes clearly aren't a match with the game to begin with... "it's horrible"
Goddamnit the article is already triggering me... It maybe be bait, but there's a whole group of people who agree with it all, and everything about the viewpoint is so ignorant and selectively focused in such a twisted way. Thank you for linking the archive page xarabas. I really hope CDPR doesn't apologize to this crowd again--that's always the wrong thing to do in these situations.

4 years ago*

The new trend is that it's only acceptable to be challenging to some people, not all. Punch up, not down, is something I keep, sadly, hearing. Why not punch everybody?

4 years ago

Not entering the article. Not giving them clicks.

"Isn't that a fluff piece? They write those as they know it will give them traffic. Be it from people who want to agree with them, or people who want to be outraged by them.

It's proven to be a pretty effective way of actually getting "engagement", and in the long run advertisement revenue, and is basically what keeps the lights on at many of those video game "news" outlets. Most of them have like 80% fluff, 20% "real" articles. (Numbers were made up on the spot, don't read too much into them, but the majority tends to be fluff).

The best thing we can do if we want to change things is to focus on the actual news articles, the ones that are not just fluff and spread those, and hope that other people will follow. But sadly clickbait is just such an effective way of getting views that I doubt we'll stop seeing mostly fluff anytime soon"

What the guy said.

Edit: Congratulations to the poster, he used an archive link, so the clickbait article doesn't receive any money even if I enter.

"I’m also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk’s handling of non-white cultures... "

"Once our cover’s blown, we start hacking people’s robo-arms, making them prematurely pull grenades or shoot themselves in the head. It is, again, horrible "

Just a clickbait article, really

4 years ago*

ANIMALS

4 years ago

4 years ago

Like I said in another forum, it's an 80s cyberpunk setting, "journalists" should stop trying so hard to be offended in the name of others.

Btw, author of CP2020 says it's not offensive and he likes it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lnrAqH0mk

I do applaud you for using an archive link, these sort of websites definitely thrive on outrage and sending them any clicks would be exactly what they want.

4 years ago*

I honestly prefer to wait for the general audience to have played a game before judging it. I don't like to trust neither publishers/developers and journalists/influencers to tell me what is good and what is not. They tend to be biased or bend the truth when reviewing things - Reviewers and journalists are, after all, just human. Their opinion are not automatically right based on the fact that they are "professional" reviewers of digital goods.

Of course, I'm not saying Cyberpunk 2077 is automatically a good game and that RPS are automatically wrong because they are journalists - But I feel that there's a decent chance they may be slightly biased for various reasons, such as a general dislike of the developers/publisher, or even just to cause some outrage and drama (drama sells).

The best thing is simply not to pre-order, wait until the game is out, then look for the feedback from players and watch some actual gameplay, it'll give you a better idea if you should or should not play it.

4 years ago

I agree NEVER pre-order anything.

4 years ago

Except Keanu Reeves

4 years ago

wink

4 years ago

RPS have some VERY strong bias. Like, they hate Starcraft because they feel Kerrigan should have more clothes (I wish I was kidding) or the Deponia series is against women, for... "reasons".

I used to follow RPS a lot, before it kind of went the deep end and some of its best writers left.

4 years ago

Zerg doesn't need clothes and they hate StarCraft because of that. Good to know what they think of Starcraft and Deponia (not played yet) so I've added RPS to block list with this extension to make sure I don't give traffic to those SJW hate makers.

https://add0n.com/block-site.html

4 years ago

That sounds great, I can't wait to play it!

4 years ago

Clickbait or not I choose to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt. Theyve earned my respect and trust over the years, so I chose to pre-order the game from GOG believing that the game will probably surpass my expectations.

4 years ago

Meh. You should know everything about Cyberpunk because of this extremely pathetic move with Keanu Reeves. Just risk-free exploitation of great person/actor without any creativity or effort. Very primitive try by devs. But you know, CD Project Red isn't some big international capitalistic over-company, So, maybe these cheap desicions could be apologized.

4 years ago

Wait how is it "extremely pathetic"? What's wrong with having a super beloved and talented actor play a role in your game...? A game all about culture? Ehhh? Not trying to cause an argument--just wanna understand your view a bit more. Should people no longer hire great people/actors anymore? And what "creativity" or "effort" in the matter do you think is lacking? He seems well modeled and animated, it was a great appearance, and he seems to portray the Johnny Silverhand character well with the needed charisma. And I'd imagine CD Projekt Red had gotten him on board and casted him quite a long time ago now being that he's a main character and with how game development works--before he was SO prominently beloved online. They probably originally wanted to get him because he has strong ties and history in/to the Cyberpunk genre--more so than most actors--and there was also that "immortal" meme not too long ago about Keanu appearing throughout history, and Johnny Silverhand's character is, uhh, also rather immortal. And a rockstar. I don't think the decision is as cheap as you think it is. Keanu Reeves is a Cyberpunk icon.

"risk-free" should they have gotten a controversial actor or something...? And what's wrong with such a good business move anyway--CDPR is a company at the end of the day, one that spent and risked tonnes making this game and needs profit to justify it and continue, and this is a move where everyone wins too. CDPR, Keanu and the wider audience all benefit. Also, I don't think people would have an issue with this even if it were EA who'd hired him... I think people would love it still because they love the guy, and it's just cool to see him in such a fitting game and role.

4 years ago*

Come on, that's pure marketing move without any sense or idea, except hype. Does Reeves show some excellent acting skills, is the any game needed some real actor to show something (of course NO, animators have much more power and influence)? About EA and other companies, let's be honest. Maybe John Snow isn't Reeves, but also very famous person. But trailers of CoD had go negative feedback, because community was bored with lack of gameplay ideas and whole company, you can't say this about CD Red, so this is ultimate move - so much popularity, so much of aproveness, total zero of any connection with qualaty and feautures of the game.

4 years ago*

It is almost like you are saying that voice acting requires no effort or creativity which would be extremely ignorant. Keanu voice acted in this game and not for just a cameo.

4 years ago

Hundreds of voice actors will be better than Reeves, but an announce of them won't gen so much hype.

4 years ago

I agree with you that it's a cheap move to generate hype, because they're taking advantage of his popularity as a movie star/celebrity. I think you're exaggerating how bad it makes CD Project Red and the game look, though.

4 years ago*

Just saying that's very strange campaign, don't saying about game (nothing concrete yet), and sure nothing about devs. CD P R threw lots of their budget (certainly not some EA or Ubi) in this game, so I hope it will be successful, even if they are using such variants for PR.

4 years ago

Meh. You should know everything about Cyberpunk because of this extremely pathetic move with Keanu Reeves.

That's a pretty direct statement against the game.

4 years ago

Can we know something more now? The fact is obvious - popular, but indie-devs, are using pretty lame methods in marketing. What kind of game will it be? Who knows. Better bad moves from indie than from mega-corporations? Sure. So what's the problem? For now it's just one big shame with marketing and this is the ONLY factual, real, today feature of the ga,e, but pardonable later because of risks of devs with whole game.

4 years ago

4 years ago

I just hope CDPR ignores these kinds of things (ie. random internet outrage over anything / everything) and makes the game they want to make without compromises or pandering.

4 years ago*

Agreed, completely true.

4 years ago

Well. In the modern age there is danger in having horrible cliche and dumb stereotypes, combined with a bland shooter.

Also from a polish dev:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-juarez-the-cartel

4 years ago*

What did I just read?

View attached image.
4 years ago

Oh i love the Golden Boy

4 years ago

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
4 years ago*

This and GTO, both golden :D

4 years ago

I still have to get round to watching GTO, thanks for the reminder!

4 years ago

Today is not possible believe in nothing especially if comes from internet. Hype and hate are both written with h, in the same way that hokum, humbug and hyperbole.

4 years ago

Better title:
RPS has weak "journalists" and unimaginative NPC's.

EDIT: Also, sadly, not the first times those nutcases went after this... 9 months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIVoL0iALg

4 years ago*

I kind of want to pre-order now.

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.