Really, really really really really really small..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eh5BpSnBBw

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

And that's why nothing matters. Not even small things like climate change...

4 years ago

It matters to us.

4 years ago

Well, good luck with caring.

4 years ago

This is a terrible hot take.

4 years ago

Of course it does. Or do you really think it won't matter if I literally just stole all of your money, only to leave you starving and without being able to find a place to live?

Literally nothing matters in the grand scheme because the grand scheme can be as grand as you want to inflate it to. But if that's the case, then might as well stop existing. The fact that you're here means that it does matter since you've found some sort of purpose for existing.

I get that it's cool to be edgy, but you're just doing a disservice for everyone, since it's like spinning your wheels in the mud. You're literally proving yourself wrong with your own statement since if this didn't matter to you, you wouldn't have written it, yet here we are.

4 years ago

Maybe it would, on other hand I wouldn't really care one bit if you murdered me... Would you? That is after you are dead?

I don't believe we have any meaning in life or in universe.... And that is not being pessimist, but a realist.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Philosophically speaking, it has clear worth. It acts as a baseline of "0" for considerations of the existence of instrinsic morality, existential value, and so forth. The problem isn't the philosophy [as a conceptual abstract], but those who look for any excuse to act in non-constructive or destructive ways, and latch on to nihilism as an excuse for such.

Fact is, it's incredibly unlikely that the existence of nihilism plays any actual contributive part in such behaviors, as manipulative, self-interested, wicked minded people, as well as apathetic and non-sympathetic people, all exist and prosper regardless of whether or not they have something to justify their actions with.

Also, side clarification, for those interested:

I don't believe we have any meaning in life or in universe.... And that is not being pessimist, but a realist.

That's actually strictly inaccurate. It's true that pessimism doesn't necessarily relate to nihilism [in fact, some people seem awfully gleeful about it], but realism refers the acceptance of what is, in all its aspects. While it's understandable one only vaguely familiar with the term would take that to refer strictly to broader cosmic foundations (at the expense of more emphemeral interactions), the meaning is actually a lot more thorough than that.

Realists are those who both see what situations truly are- and that includes not only broader considerations, but also trivial considerations and the impact of illusions (even if they don't necessarily value the illusions themself)- and more importantly, accepts things as they [truly] are and determines appropriate reactions by way of that understanding.

Realism in art, for example, refers to artwork which most honestly and accurately depicts the actual form and circumstances of an object. It differs from symbolic, abstract, impressionistic, or similar art styles by its nature and, further, challenges the artist to precisely note every detail at hand and capture and potray those details so others can see them as clearly as if they were seeing the actual object. Hence, valuing the object for what it is, rather than overly coloring it with impressions, styles, or motivations of the artist.

Realism in philosophy is similar. Fundamentally, it means not acting off emotions, preconceptions, or expectations, but carefully evaluating every circumstance to determine underlying factors and responding to those circumstances as best befits them. Metaphysical realism further states that objects exist and have value regardless of perceptions, as perceptions don't influence the underlying reality or its worth.

Moral realism states that there do exist fundamentally true morals, and that one can determine what they are [by viewing the situation clearly, and without bias, hence the link to the broader definition of Realism] (and thereby, allows for objectively determining which of two conflicting moral perspectives is more justifable) through analysis.

Realism, regardless of its specific association, is typically closely linked to idealism and, more to the point, is considered to be fundamentally oppositional to nihilism. Nihlism effectively states that underlying elements have no worth regardless of perceptions (and thereby one can adhere to any perspective they please), thus effectively having a directly contrary perspective to Realism, which struggles to reveal and appreciate underlying elements, while devaluing surface or personal perceptions and thereby not acting off of them.

4 years ago*

You don't need an excuse to not give a fuck. Life is nothing but a bad joke anyway. You are born only to die. Personally, though, I just don't give a fuck for the heck of it. And until I die, I'm just gonna go play some more games.

4 years ago

I like your style.

4 years ago

Exactly!

4 years ago

MIB...

View attached image.
4 years ago

LOL, awesome! I only saw the 2005 movie but I think I want to listen to the original radio show or read the novels. Any recommendations?

4 years ago

They're all slightly different because he couldn't resist rewriting stuff. Kinda fond of the collosally janky (even for its time) BBC TV adaptation myself, some of the characters work a lot better for seeing them. Would put money on it being on Youtube/Netflix/whatever somewhere.

4 years ago

That's just my personal 2 cents but in my opinion that TV show is only watchable if you watched it back in the day and have nostalgic memories of it. My older sisters who watched it in it's time gave me the videotapes (and a fair warning) but I just couldn't stomach it.

I mean I'm a huge hitchhiker fan (even read the conclusion to the series by Eon Colfer) but there is a limit to how much paper mache scenery and amazingly terrible costumes I can endure.

4 years ago

Basically what Nebraskajones said. Start with your own preference.

4 years ago

So what if we're small compared to other planets? Ours at least has life on it, intelligent life, lots of different cultures, incredible technologies and lots of other awesome things. That makes us larger and more valuable (not taking sun into mind) than anything in this galaxy!

The only bad thing about the whole thing is that we have a lot of people who don't care about the planet, but that doesn't undermine how amazing Earth is compared to other planets and this part of the universe.

4 years ago

Considering you know nothing about any planets or life outside of our own, you have no idea what they are like and therefore can't make a comparison. In the grand scheme of things our planet could be like a barrel of oil to other beings and it could be destroyed and processed as a resource in the blink of an eye at any moment. Maybe black holes are tools of higher beings that are sucking up planets as resources.

Edit: Or maybe other beings live in harmony and they don't want to contact us because we are the scum of the universe with so much hate and wars. Maybe the earth is just a little petri dish science project of some higher being and they are watching us live, create, and evolve over time to see what happens. A century to humans is relative, it could be like a second for some other being, we don't know, science changes all the time.

Once technology advances to the point of being able to travel to other galaxies and around the universe, the earth will most likely just be seen as a stepping stone and forgotten. With the infinite possibilities of other planets that can exist, I doubt there is anything particularly special about ours. Just like life, there are new planets being created all the time and there are just as many being destroyed.

And on top of all that, all of this only matters if the universe actually exists. Our entire existence could be a simulation.

4 years ago*

All of which does not change the fact, that it's the only life and planet, that we all currently have.

If it's really insignificant and even worthless, than we have nothing to lose, falsely believing, that it's incredibly valuable. On the other hand, if it happens to be of some real value, we can lose a lot, assuming that it's not worth caring for. So, at least for me, the choice is obvious ;)

4 years ago

I agree. I didn't mean that we should destroy the planet. I was just saying that it may be insignificant in the grand scheme of things and we really have no idea at this point. We should definitely try and take care of it while it is the only home we have and we rely on it for survival. Even though I think we should take care of the earth, at the same time, I don't believe everything that is said about global warming and climate change.

4 years ago

It is immensely valuable to us anyway because we are the cretins who live on it and are destroying it and the chances of aliens swooping in to save us from our own stupidity is low.
However saying "woot! twitter!" doesn't make us value our planet, really. The whole "we're number one" philosophy is responsible for more harm than good.

It is very small in the scheme of things, and so are we. I think we should remember just how insignificant we are in the cosmos. Maybe we wouldn't feel so entitled, especially when it comes to our little blue planet.

4 years ago

It is very small in the scheme of things, and so are we.

Some people assume, that we are the only intelligent beings in the whole universe (and try to prove it using very dubious arguments) and that intelligence is what matters, so we are most important in the universe. Others believe, that a GOD has sent us a direct message, saying so (and are arrogantly convinced, that we were fully able to understand it). They all assume, that they know "the scheme of things", and thanks to this, that they know, what is of real importance.

You assume, that it's size/numbers, that matters. Sorry, but I find your assumption equally unproven. Not something, that we shouldn't wonder about, but certainly not something, that we should just take for granted. Though I surely agree, that "we're number one" philosophy more often leads to inquisition and concentration camps, than does anything good.

Unfortunately, whatever believes we choose to follow, it seems, that we are thinking about our presumed rights much more intensely, than about our obligations.

4 years ago*

You assume, that it's size/numbers, that matters. Sorry, but I find your assumption equally unproven.

Sorry but what in my post makes you assume that I assume anything, especially that size/numbers matter?

4 years ago

It is very small in the scheme of things, and so are we. I think we should remember just how insignificant we are in the cosmos.

Maybe your intention was different, but it certainly reads to me as a statement, that we are insignificant in the cosmos, because our planet is "very small in the scheme of things". So I clearly see an assumption based on size/numbers here, as I would see it (based on religious believes) in a statement: "We are incredibly significant, because God has created us." Both of those statements can't be proven in any way, so indeed both are just assumptions.

4 years ago*

It definitely wasn't my intention and my statement had no religious or anti-religious subtext or otherwise.
If you assumed there was because I said "in the big scheme of things", it's really just an idiomatic turn of phrase. I could have said "in the big picture" and I wouldn't have been talking about photography :P

It is, however, very easily proven that our planet is just one in what is most likely billions of trillions of planets in the universe. I'm not really sure how it qualifies as an assumption but regardless, my intent was to say that it doesn't really matter one way or another and that feeling small or not doesn't mean we should treat our planet like it's nothing.

It may be nothing in the universe but it's the only one we have.

4 years ago*

View attached image.
4 years ago

wow, thanks! loved by everyone here =)
I always love these videos!
Impressive.

4 years ago*

Fermi Paradox Intensifies.

And, yeah yeah, space is big and all, but more importantly- there's a lot of super cool shit there!

4 years ago

Planet size difference is fun and all, but usually books and videos show it well. What is rarely shown is the distance between planets. It always amazes me how much space there is in space.

https://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Now that makes you feel really tiny.

4 years ago

I say this often; my kids ask me, "Mother, what's the meaning of life?" I ask them to explore every square millimeter of their house, not missing a single misplaced breadcrumb. That is the scale of how big your house is; now do the same for your yard, if you have one. Then your whole block; it'd take you hours, if not days. Then your city. County. State. Country. Your country is a small part of 7 continents, which all together are something like 30% of the planet's surface; not even what's beneath the surface. Just this planet is impossibly huge to truly know every facet. Our planet, which is one of the smaller bodies in the solar system, which itself is light years away from just the closest star. Light, which takes only 8 minutes to cross the enormous gap between us and the sun. That's to say nothing of the size of the galaxy, which is a tiny speck in the known universe. When you understand that, you understand that you and everything you could possibly do are nothing in the grand scheme of things.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try. Yes, there can be no THE meaning to life, but that just means that you get to choose YOUR meaning of life. There are many worthy causes to support, and it doesn't have to be something huge, like "save the rainforest"; there are also smaller worthy causes, like "be kind". There are many huge charities to help lots of people, but maybe you don't have the money to donate, and you're working 16 hours a day, so you can't donate the time to help them, either, but you're very good at helping the people who slip through those cracks; that is also noble. Whether or not it's significant in the grand scheme of things, your actions do matter on a small scale, and if you can help someone - even just one person - it makes a difference to them, because this scale can be spun in a different direction.

As huge as this planet is, and as many things as there are on it (or in it) to know, many of them are living, and that is huge as well; roughly 7 BILLION people with their own little microcosms, each called a life. Roughly 70-80 years of comparatively infinite numbers of seconds, each of which can be affected by any number of events. To think that you could potentially alter someone's forever in just a few minutes means that on this small scale - the scale at which we life, I might add - means that you are still potentially powerful. So, as with many things, it's a matter of relativity; you could save a broken woman's life and give her a reason to keep on living, and nobody in Andromeda would care or even know about it, but it'd matter to her.

Long, rambling, and maybe a little preachy, but I think it's worth mentioning that scale is important, and these sorts of things shouldn't be used to justify being an awful person, because "it doesn't matter." As the late wife of Patton Oswalt said, "It's chaos; be kind."

4 years ago

you must be fun at all the parties

4 years ago

Why do you think nobody invites me? 😛

(more) Serious answer: I wear a different mask in Meatspace to keep from freaking people out, so unless I'm in a crowd that seems receptive to philosophy, I turn this sort of thing off.

4 years ago

so unless I'm in a crowd that seems receptive to philosophy, I turn this sort of thing off.

Yeah i am with you there. :p

4 years ago

I see a bright mind amongst the SG trolls. Great post 👍

You are invited to my party any day

4 years ago

Truthfully, it's not even a troll post; I'm just a weirdo who spends too much time thinking about these sorts of things.

4 years ago

I know it's not a troll post. I was saying you stand out... as in - opposite the usual trolls around here.

And I say this because I am also "the weirdo who thinks about these things" ..
It's refreshing to find like-minded around 👍

I also have to tread carefully in Meatspace 👽

4 years ago*

Gotcha; I just read that wrong. In that case, thanks for that!

4 years ago

=)

View attached image.
4 years ago

I wish, that we would have many more "weirdos" like you in this world :)

4 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. :)

4 years ago

I see a bright mind amongst the SG trolls. Great post 👍

Since I also initially found your statement's wording confusing in its intent, I thought I'd note the following for consideration:
"Among(st)" implies collectivity or inclusion (that is, a shared status of some sort), while "amid(st)" indicates a disconnectivity in status from whatever is being compared against.

For example, "She was one otter among many" or "I was one of the top scorers amongst the test participants" or "wolverines are among the animals humans should be careful around" (versus) "The picnic blanket lay amidst a field of flowers" or "He resigned amidst allegations of misconduct" or "several wolverines lay amidst the blankets of the terrified humans" / "The humans woke, terrified, to find several wolverines lying in their midst".

Generally speaking, there's enough shared meaning and the intended usage is typically easy enough to understand, that the words are often interchangable [at heart, they both more or less mean "in the company of"]- but there are extremely few words with entirely identical meanings that exist within a typical language, and this'd be the distinction between those two particular ones. ^.^

Well, not that I'm intending to compare trolls to wolverines or anything.
..though, neither one seems particularily advisable to feed, so perhaps the comparison is apt. :P

4 years ago*

Hm, sometimes these distinctions escape my Swedish brain. I am also a very very.. very simple man.
But consider me educated 😊

View attached image.
4 years ago

Good to know that there are some kids out there who are prepared for real life ;)

4 years ago

Prepared as one gets, I suppose, but I've always felt that a little unconventional wisdom can go a long way.

4 years ago

Well, that's better prepared than a lot of kids who get fed cartoons and pre-digested fads and no perspective, anyway.
Unconventional wisdom is the kind they won't get from school so might as well come from their parents.

4 years ago

On whatever size is the scale of this comment on the internet, I would like to say I like your text.

4 years ago

Thank you. :) Sometimes, I feel like I'm yelling on a street corner with a big cardboard sign, but even if I am, it's nice to have someone listening.

4 years ago

I love these things 👍

Big and small

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

4 years ago

Hi Lugum, please read Richard Dawkins books, Magic of Reality and Greatest show on earth. they are truly fascinating !

4 years ago

Thanks, but i am not much of a reader (i got too much games to play, and to me they are interactive books. :p) but maybe someone else find the suggestion useful. ;)

4 years ago

but i am not much of a reader

There's that defeatism again. It's never too late to start.

4 years ago

Right? Literally millions of books out there. I'm pretty sure there is more than one for everyone.

I love games. I love movies. I still don't believe anything prepares you for life like a book does.

4 years ago

I'm not big on books, so I was wondering, why does a book prepare you for life in any way? Like, of course there's stuff to learn, but if I read the whole Harry Potter series, like how's it made me more prepared for life than playing through the Mass Effect Trilogy?

I think there's stuff to learn from everything, but I also think that entertainment is entertainment for a reason since usually you won't learn that much from it normally. Of course you can cite Zachtronic games and extremely dense scientific books, but I'm talking of like the average book and video game and movie.

So overall, even with anti-school sentiments on the Internet (which I partially agree with too), why isn't a year of school more useful for you than a year of reading books?

4 years ago

A book may prepare you, or may mislead you, or just waste your time, depending on what you read. There are so many totally worthless books being promoted as masterpieces, much like celebrities most often being just pretty empty shells, created for the sake of masses by mass media, and not people of real value. There are however those books that tell the truth, or are very close to telling the truth... maybe not the universal truth, but the truth of the person writing them.

With all the technology at hand we have not yet been able to find a better way to meet someone, with whom we can't have a live conversation, than a book written by that person. So choose carefully, and reading a book you may have a chance to meet someone, that will change/improve your life. Meet someone, that you could not meet otherwise, possibly long time dead, like for me, for example, a long time ago, was meeting Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, pilote de guerre.

4 years ago

I'm not big on books, so I was wondering, why does a book prepare you for life in any way?

I'm not saying that there aren't things to learn in everything but the value of a book is not in a teaching moment. Movies and games come pre-digested, with visuals all created for you through someone else's vision. Kids who read develop their imagination in ways kids who don't never will. If you read a Mass Effect book, you'd have to make the intellectual effort to picture everything. It teaches you different skills.

And then there's empathy. When you read books, from an early age, you will by necessity, have to learn how to relate to characters who are different from you. (yeah Harry Potter doesn't do that by the way, it's quite possibly the worst example of books you can read, just like Mass Effect or Witcher are in a league of their own when it comes to story compared to most games)

I'm not sure what the whole anti-school argument is, as I tend to stay away from that kind of internet, but most education is based on the accumulation of knowledge. Reading books won't necessarily do that. You'll get much more useful life skills from books than you do from most (basic) education.

4 years ago

Pretty much agree with everything you just said there. But I differ on one point - not all movies are pre-digested. Some make you work just as hard as a book can to find its meaning, give you points of view completely different than your own or show you unique images that you have never seen or visualized yourself.

4 years ago

You're right, that was a generalization but I really was speaking only from a visuals perspective.
Playing a game like Mass Effect is exhilarating. But if you read it as a book, you'd have to figure out for yourself what every race, ship, planet looks like.
There are, of course, a lot of movies, and some games, that make you work as hard as(or much harder than) some books.
Few can get as complex as a lot of books are when it comes to storytelling though. It's not a limitation of the medium so much as a limitation pertaining to constraints imposed by distribution, market, target audiences etc.

4 years ago

Storytelling. You've hit on one of my pet peeves there. For awhile it's struck me as something that's becoming a lost art in film making. Main stream directors/writers used to be able to pack a complete and compelling story into an hour and a half (even an hour in some of the older stuff). It was a mandatory talent, and any film maker who couldn't accomplish that goal on a regular basis didn't last long. But lately storytelling appears to be less of a fading art than an completely alien concept, where a movie can simply be just a series of check boxes: set pieces, worthless cgi shots, gags, trite banter, and flimsy unrelatable emotional moments, done. Yeah, I just watch Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw last night (favor to a friend) - and the problem there wasn't so much that it was a bad movie, but that it wasn't really a movie at all.
But, back to the visual perspective thing. Yes, I agree 9 times out of 10 reading and visualizing is a more rewarding experience. But for me that pertains more to pure entertainment movies. Motion pictures are still just that, pictures in motion, and can on occasion still be art (or both art and entertainment - even better), which is transformative and can provide images that are uniquely of another individual and something you yourself could never imagine.I realize, these days, this is the exception rather than the rule, but still.

4 years ago

Storytelling is disappearing faster than the rainforest.
Not just in mainstream movies either, which is already bad enough, but in a lot of indies as well. It seems now that if you have a premise, you don't need any sort of narrative, whatsoever. I just don't get that.
I'm not necessarily attached to a traditional narrative (beginning, middle, end) or even any kind of structured narrative. I do feel more invested in movies that at least attempt to tell a story, or develop characters. And yeah it's not something you can as easily bypass in a book or you're not left with much.
And then you have mainstream movies who try so hard with the storytelling that they get totally lost in it and end up with a bunch of nonsense. I'm looking at you; Avenger Endgame.

Motion pictures are still just that, pictures in motion, and can on occasion still be art (or both art and entertainment - even better), which is transformative and can provide images that are uniquely of another individual and something you yourself could never imagine

It's true. There are still movies like that. I saw The Fountain the other week (with two friends who ended up hating the movie) and I loved how visual it was. I don't think it would have made the same impact in a written form. Even in the hands of a skilled wordsmith, it would have been either too descriptive or too alien and the story would have lost all flavor, drowned in descriptions.
But yes, truly visual movies are indeed more of an exception now.

4 years ago

games to play, and to me they are interactive books. :p)

Games can convey a story just as a book, but unlikely that they can get through that story of a book, or that science of a book. Like you can skip a fantasy book and instead play idk, Pillars of Eternity, likely works. But it's highly unlikely that you'll find a(n enjoyable) game about the topics that are in The Magic of Reality: according to wiki:

"In the subsequent chapters Dawkins addresses topics that range from evolutionary biology and speciation to physical phenomena such as atomic theory, optics, planetary motion, gravitation, stellar evolution, spectroscopy, and plate tectonics, as well as speculation on exobiology."

As doctorofjournalism said, it's never too late to start - and you don't need to be a reader "for realsies", you don't need to make it a habit. But there are topics that are worth reading about as that's the best way to come across them - afterall, we rather go and watch a gallery rather read about how it is.

PS:
It sounds to be a light science book about introducing concepts, not really being a deep scientific writing. I kinda would suggest trying audiobooks if you have problem with reading itself, but this one looks to be heavy on graphics.

"It is a graphic science book aimed primarily at children and young adults. Dawkins has stated that the book is intended for those aged around 12 years and upwards, and that when trialling the book prior to publishing, younger readers were able to understand its content with additional adult assistance."

4 years ago

Chiming in with the other pro-readers, giving you more words to read (sorry!)...

I've known a few 'not much of a reader' people, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being one,
But, I've also known a few 'not much of a reader' people who later became avid readers after finding what, for them, happened to be the right book to change their minds about reading.

My usual recommendation, if you're at all interested, is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. But, as with any book, if you leaf through the first few pages and still aren't interested, it's perfectly okay to put it down and do something else. No one should ever feel forced to read (looking at you, school...), and everyone's got their own literary preferences (non-fiction, detective, thriller, comedy, poetry, classics, etc.) so it's cool if you're still 'not much of a reader' until you happen upon a book that changes your mind. (Also, I really do prefer actual paper books, but I'm slowly getting accustomed to reading things on my phone. Definitely not the same experience, though.)

4 years ago

TL DR. :p

Well since so many are trying to convince me, first of i don't think i got the patience and even though i only "work" 3 days a week right now, i still often feel how time flies by (which only gets worse as you get older) especially when you got house chores in between.
That i rather spend that free time on games (which i got so many of), even if it sometimes feels trivial.
I gave a 800-900+ page book to a friend and she didn't blink an eye about the amount of pages, i was like that would take me a whole year to read (not because i read slow, heck i was in the top 3 of best readers of my class for several years). :p

Not counting what i had to read for school, the books i got that interested myself and read or tried to read, were only a handful, including some CSI books.
Sometimes i see a book discussed on tv (like biographies of certain people) and i go hmm maybe interesting but i never bother to do anything with it, but as Adam mentioned above i think audio books would suit me better.

When i play games i watch stuff in between but eventually i will run out of things and then i can always try looking into audiobooks, i was already thinking about it.

4 years ago

Yeah, a well-produced audiobook can be a pretty good alternative.
And yes, time is very weirdly faster with age... hatin' that.

4 years ago

And yes, time is very weirdly faster with age... hatin' that.

Zenosyne: The Sense That Time Keeps Going Faster

4 years ago

lol, what do you do all day?

Your life sounds pretty dope, you have a lot of free time that other people wish they had. Yet, you seem insistent on pushing this narrative of "woe is me." I would kill to only work 3 days a week.

heck i was in the top 3 of best readers of my class for several years

But you're like 40 now, right? It's okay, you can read a book outside of the classroom.

i was already thinking about it.

You seem to "think about it" a lot.

4 years ago*

How do you automatically make that conclusion that my life is so great? I thought you especially had the brains to understand there is a whole lot more to it, do you think the quotes around work isn't there for a reason too?
And others would be bored out of their minds, like at my "work" there are people past their retirement age and still go x days there to do stuff.

I all assume you got more money, you got your own place, you got your life probably a lot more straightened out. And again not to complain but trust me that you just don't want to trade with me.

Where am i complaining? Several people tried to suggest books to read, so i gave my reasons, you go way too far to even call it defeatism just because i maybe see my time otherwise spend on books, it's my life isn't it?
And audiobooks are definitely an option, I got the Tex Murphy audio books not that long ago, which seem interesting.

Well better to think about something once or twice too much then mindlessly saying or doing things, isn't it?

4 years ago*

Wow, why so defensive? Thou doth protest too much, bro.

4 years ago

We are at a place full with attacks (granted, a little less lately) it's hard to distinguish anymore when someone is taking a dig at you or being sincere.

But my life yeah also made me defensive, when you always been the odd one out, be it at school, at work, it makes you that way i guess.

4 years ago

Came here to make sure somebody had posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14 already. Thanks ;)

4 years ago

<3

4 years ago

It's a great video for kids.

4 years ago

We're physically small, sure. But I dunno, look at one of your friends and see that they're just as big as you. :)

4 years ago

Nah, it's good to have friends that are bigger than you...

4 years ago

Kinda surprised no one posted this video:
Sta Size Comparison 2

4 years ago

I find this a better example: https://neal.fun/size-of-space/

Also Elite Dangerous is also great for this. Granted it's only the milky way you can explore, but since you're actively playing in it and can approach stations, planets and stars you can truly feel how puny you are.

4 years ago

All cosmetic DLCs

View attached image.
4 years ago

And that's why our home is incredibly important. And must be preserved.

FROM TERRY PRATCHETT'S 'HOGFATHER'

“All right,” said Susan. “I’m not stupid. You’re saying humans need…fantasies to make life bearable.”

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

“Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—”
YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

“So we can believe the big ones?”
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

“They’re not the same at all!”

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME…SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

“Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what’s the point—”

MY POINT EXACTLY.

She tried to assemble her thoughts.

THERE IS A PLACE WHERE TWO GALAXIES HAVE BEEN COLLIDING FOR A MILLION YEARS, said Death, apropos of nothing. DON’T TRY TO TELL ME THAT’S RIGHT.

“Yes, but people don’t think about that,” said Susan. “Somewhere there was a bed…”

CORRECT. STARS EXPLODE, WORLDS COLLIDE, THERE’S HARDLY ANYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE WHERE HUMANS CAN LIVE WITHOUT BEING FROZEN OR FRIED, AND YET YOU BELIEVE THAT A…A BED IS A NORMAL THING. IT IS THE MOST AMAZING TALENT.

“Talent?”

OH, YES. A VERY SPECIAL KIND OF STUPIDITY. YOU THINK THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS INSIDE YOUR HEADS.

“You make us sound mad,” said Susan. A nice warm bed…

NO. YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME? said Death”
4 years ago

Amazing 👍

4 years ago

It's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it!

4 years ago

Terrible editing, you can't really grasp the scale of the universe.

4 years ago

that shows how big the creator is

4 years ago

Scale of the universe (from very small to very big)
http://htwins.net/scale2/

4 years ago

we are just parasites of the earth, building colonies til run out of resouces, like any other smaller parasites. that's how small we are...

4 years ago

Ok, now this is edgy

4 years ago

I honestly love how humans voluntarily ignore the basics of biology to fool themselves enough to think that they very different or much more whatever than other species... (edit.: okay, this doesn't only apply on interspecies, but also applies on intraspecies too).

4 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.