• In a talk with Eurogamer Poland, CD Projekt's president Adam Kiciński said that a new Witcher game will begin development immediately after the release of Cyberpunk 2077.

• Apparently, the new Witcher game won't be a direct sequel to 2015's The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and won't be called The Witcher 4.

• CDPR anticipates the new game will take around four years to finish development.

• 3 Teams in CDPR will be working in different jobs.

• One big team will be working on improvements and new add-ons(DLCs) for Cyberpunk 2077
    • Another big team will be working on multiplayer aspect of Cyberpunk 2077
    • One small team will be working on new Witcher game.

Source:
A new Witcher game will begin development "immediately" after Cyberpunk 2077 is released : Gamesrader.com

30 - 20 - 10 - 9 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 : It's 2077

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

So, Gwent 2 ?

Cybperpunk 2077 is releasing on September 17, not in April

4 years ago

I know the release date, but I am not wrong at all about 30 days.

4 years ago

jesus i`m so exited thanks mate ...

CD Project Red Is the best

4 years ago

Are they releasing a demo in 30 days or something?

4 years ago

Nope still 30 days left for for '2077'. ¯\(ツ)/¯

I don't know about them releasing a demo.

4 years ago*

still 30 days left for for '2077'

Still doesn't make sense.

4 years ago

Yeah because it's 29 days now for 2077.

4 years ago*

Maybe on 4th attempt they will make actually good gameplay for once.

4 years ago

I don't even know how they did on their 3rd attempt :(

4 years ago

View attached image.
4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago

As a massive Witcher 3 fan, I am very worried as to what they will do with new material without Geralt's story as the foundation.

4 years ago

All they can do is just use the established lore. Best bet would be Zerrikania

4 years ago

time for prequels. 🤔

4 years ago

Highly likely. They want to utilize this opportunity (Impact on their games because of TV series) before the TV series hype fades away.
So I think they will not try to make game as massive as The Witcher 3 itself.

4 years ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fh6ir8/a_new_witcher_game_will_begin_development/
Apparently the polish original wasn't translated correctly. The next game could be a Witcher or Cyberpunk title.

4 years ago

I think they will most probably go with the Witcher one because of the fact that Netflix's Witcher series is rekindling the series itself and introducing new fan bases. So I see them going for the opportunity to grab both player fan base and attract newer series fans.
Again its highly speculative so we have to see, but CDPR won't let this opportunity go by I think.

4 years ago

Thronebreaker 2

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Journos actually said a new Witcher game was in the cards even before 3 launched.

The give-away was in the wording used, I believe, IIRC they said Geralt was likely at the end of the line as a protagonist, which I take it, means you get him as a cameo or side role.

As far as I understand, it was a given The Witcher as a franchise was at such a high point, regardless of the TV series, that it would have been madness to not make another one.

At the same time, by implying TW3 would be the final chapter (if one's understood that to be altogether, even better, or Geralt's final stretch as a main, anyway), it would help drum up anticipation for TW3.

IOW just regular business.

4 years ago

Problem is CDP Red did not have license to make more games in Witcher universe. And judging by how Sapkowski was acting I thought he will not make another deal with them.

But they did make new agreement some time ago. Guess Sapkowski wanted now percentage from income, not flat upfront payment :hehe:

4 years ago

All I've read about and from Sapkowski indicated that he was so OK with CD Projekt doing whatever, and going wherever they wanted with the material, that inferring he didn't actually give much of a damn about the games, wouldn't have been completely uncalled for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not the most elegant stance as far as artistic integrity goes, I hope he got a fair share in return, the franchise has been incredibly big and CDP must be minted.

4 years ago

Not entirely true, Sapkowski didn't give a damn before Witcher 3's popularity. But after the Witcher 3's massive success he was kinda salty about it. Even in some interview he said that the game series wouldn't be a big thing so he chose flat payment and he regrets on that decision.

I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success.
Sapkowski's interview with Eurogamer 2017

Being on his shoes, it was kinda sad because even though he gave birth to that universe others gained more from his works and he wasn't even part of it because of a single decision. I am glad that both CDPR and Sapkowski came to the agreement. (He was asking for 6% of whole Witcher game series profit). But him disregarding the game before the agreement still makes me angry about it. After all it was CDPR who made the Witcher series worldwide success while his books were limited to few regions.

Journos actually said a new Witcher game was in the cards even before 3 launched.

Not sure about that. Recent agreement now allows CDPR to continue producing new Witcher related products. Maybe you are refering to older articles and the other game being Gwent? Lawsuit was in order around the end of 2018, so even though CDPR had any plans they couldn't have done anything until the lawsuit ended.

The agreement grants CD PROJEKT new rights, as well as confirms the company’s title to “The Witcher” intellectual property in video games, graphic novels, board games, and merchandise.

As far as I understand, it was a given The Witcher as a franchise was at such a high point, regardless of the TV series, that it would have been madness to not make another one.

Even though the franchise is good, we can't disregard the impact of The Witcher TV series on the game franchise. We can count it as a fad but it did help The Witcher 3 to break its all time player peak after 5 years (92,268 vs 103,329). But the most valuable impact was on the Witcher 3's total sales crossing $50 million mark on Steam which now gives CDPR more revenue cut from Steam game sales.

Again as for developing another one, the CDPR decision might have turned bad for them if they released a new Witcher product and court's verdict didn't go in favor of CDPR.

4 years ago*

But the most valuable impact was on the Witcher 3's total sales crossing $50 million mark on Steam which now gives CDPR more revenue cut from Steam game sales.

So now all their future games will give lower cut to Valve? I thought it's per- game basis. So even if W3 passed 50 mln, Cyberpunk would still be taxed at 30% till they again pass 50mln milestone with it.

4 years ago

Yes it's per- game basis. Once any game crosses $50M sales, revenue will be split 80-20% for every new copies sold of that game.
For Cyberpunk 2077 they have to do it again, first reach $50M mark to receive 80% revenue cut for extra copies. 30% for sales for less than $10M, 25% for sales between $10M and $50M, 20% after $50M sales revenue.

Sorry for my confusing wordings in earlier comment, I wanted to elaborate that Witcher TV series had an impact on Witcher game franchise.

4 years ago

Not entirely true

I do get the impression Mr Sapkowski might be a little volatile, as some statements of his did sound quite unprofessional. If he did change his mind, however, it's not terribly surprising because people do change their tune, especially when a lot of money are on the table.

Maybe you are refering to older articles and the other game being Gwent?

Nope, and neither I was referring to the Witcher Adventure Game.

"Another game was in the cards" does not imply everything was smooth sailing. "high point" is a completely different notion from "the franchise is good" - it means it had reached a critical point of popularity, and did so years before the TV series was released, so realistically the TV series being made is a consequence of that popularity, as the casual arrow going in the other direction does seem to violate some basic principles about time as we know it. Of course, the TV series being popular, cannot hurt CDPr's bottom line and their case for making another major Witcher game - obviously.

Regardless of the TV series, not making another game would have been a huge opportunity cost: it was in their best interest to remove all obstacles to making another Witcher game, and that they likely had already made plans to make sure that would happen, as it was hinted at in their marketing material, something which was picked up by keen enough observers.

4 years ago

I agree, what I meant to say was that even though they had future plans that wouldn't have meant anything until the two parties made an agreement. So finally after the deal its official now.

4 years ago

fwould be happy if it were the witcher remake! it would be good because the game has aged very badly has many players who have not played it because of its very outdated graphics that only started playing from the witcher 2 ..

4 years ago*

30 days left for 2077..but thats when we can leave our house agian

4 years ago

4 years ago

2 poor 2 play it anyway, soo meh

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

New game won't be about that metrosexual fruitcake Gary. That was the end for him with Witcher 3.
But according to CDPR there is chance he may have a cameo roles in new Witcher games.

4 years ago

Closed 2 years ago by TFrostPG.