https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/tSuz8/from-the-depths

Looks like I'm moving to Detroit this fall. Going to be a major culture/weather change from California. Not looking forward to moving and job searching.

Any Detroit natives here?

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

I just met a guy who moved here from Detroit.
He hated Detroit.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

What I'm about to say is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand and I honestly have no business commenting here, but I really want to move to Seattle...

5 years ago

Wow that's going to be a change for sure. i heard from a friend who's been there for about 5 years that the food scene is surprisingly interesting though.

5 years ago

Going to miss all the good Asian food

5 years ago

I'll ask him for good Asian places. He already told me about an "Asian comfort food haven" near him that kept him sane when he moved there but I can't remember the name because I suck at names.

ETA: Antihero was the name of the place he told me about. He said there's also prime Korean food. and some real good Japanese places as well. I remember there's one opened by a guy who used to work at Nobu because I heard about that one in my foodie rounds. I need to look for it though (found it: Adachi).
He has cool noodles and ramen digs although I doubt it beats the food you had in Japan. I don't know about Chinese because it's not his thing but there's a Vietnamese place that's on is "must-eat" list.
Seems like the Asian fare in Detroit is better than in Paris. Probably not like in Cali though but there are good offerings if not many

5 years ago*

Thanks for the suggestions!

5 years ago

From which city in California are you moving from?

5 years ago

I was in LA for a couple of years, now in San Jose

5 years ago

Oh, nice! I have never been in the USA, but there was a Twitch livestreamer recently (donatolive). The USA vlogs are so addicting. He visited most cities in the West Coast, San Jose too and he wasn't disappointed by the city. If I remember correctly he was in the Winchester Mystery House (a museum) and ate sushi in Fuji Sushi (I think). Then he streamed 14hours driving from SJ to Phoenix - what a madman.
The closest city - San Francisco on the other side was much worse due large amount of homeless people, bad foggy weather and the streets were noisy as hell.

I wish you good luck in the new city!

5 years ago

bump

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Sequoia - not yet, still on my bucket list.
I've been to Yosemite a couple of times now

5 years ago

Gotta do the sequoia's at least once in your life. It redefines "tree" for you.

5 years ago

I've been to Big Trees State Park and a bunch of the Redwoods Parks!

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago*

If you seen sequoia's, you've seen them. It doesn't matter all that much where you've seen them. Different parks have different "curiosities," but it sounds like you've "lived the experience."

5 years ago

GL with your car insurance. :/

5 years ago

Yeah I just saw today. That's more than my car is worth....

But I think we're going to try to stay in one of the suburbs around Detroit, so should be cheaper. Still probably double of what I'm paying now though.

5 years ago

Michigan legislature has been 'trying' to reform no-fault insurance for years.

But yeah, Detroit city limit is like 50% increase vs. across the street.

5 years ago

What got you to move to Detroit? TBH, I haven't heard anyone say anything good about Detroit. Most folks I know moved out of Detroit.

5 years ago

Robocop lives there

5 years ago

He did until they found him stripped for parts in Forest Park.

5 years ago

Oh.....

5 years ago

This made me laugh more than it should XD.

5 years ago

Following the Fiancee. We'll be there for 5 years. Then hopefully back to the west coast

5 years ago

Sorry to hear that you have to move. On the plus side, you'll be a few hours drive away from Toronto which has a bunch of great places to eat :D.
I swear I'm not biased.

5 years ago

I have some family in Toronto - I've visited like 5 or 6 times.

5 years ago

Hey, look on the bright side man. You can now show anyone exactly where your living at just by pointing to a spot on your hand!

Michigan joke--> cause they like doing this cause the state is shaped like a mitten

Sucks to hear you have to move though. I'm not a native, but most of my family live up there. I just went up there this past Spring actually.

With that said, you should really be prepare yourself for the winters there. Like, it starts getting really cold during fall time and driving can be dangerous if you've never lived in an area like that before come December. I don't travel up there during winter ever. You also want to think about getting the bottom part of your car serviced with that undercoating spray they use to protect from the salty roads, cause it can do lasting damage on your vehicle. You don't want your car to turn into a rust bucket.

You should definitely check out Frankenmuth though. It's a German-like town that has festivals year round and the food is outstanding! It's one of my favorite places to visit when I go up. :)

5 years ago

I just visited Chicago over Christmas - there were so many cars there with rusted undercarriages!

5 years ago

I am not from the states obviously. I am just wondering if your Fiancee has family there and the reason for moving? Her job posting? Seems like from the comments previously Detroit isnt the kindest place to be. Perhaps you can save on items, food and more activities at home. 5 yrs is quite a long time. Perhaps spending sometime making the place you rent be welcoming and spend more time and effort making it the home sweet home. Probably the best idea to get a job offering before moving but I am sure you already know that. All the best on moving to the new town. We'll see more cooked stuff from you then. ;) Cheers, Cruse~

View attached image.
5 years ago

Job related, yes. She's there for her medical residency. I'm not planning to move until I get a confirmed job offer as well.

5 years ago

Seems like you have a plan and She's your personal Mercy I guess, Sincere wishes for the future, Cheers, Cruse~

View attached image.
5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.