Hi SG,

Our holiday gift box event is back for 2019, starting now and ending December 25! Dust off Photoshop (or Paint) and get ready to share your creative designs with our community and to unlock great giveaways each day.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
    • Please ensure your gift box design is appropriate for all ages and respectful of others in the community. Inappropriate designs will need to be removed along with the corresponding giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

• Do you think gift boxes should contain hints? For example, should we display whether a box contains a frequently wishlisted game, a popular game, DLC, etc? This might allow users to better target whether they want to focus on certain types of games, or if they want to open less popular boxes with fewer entries. At the same time, the hints could spoil some of the surprise. What do you think?
  • Should we allow 5 or 10 boxes to be opened per day?

Happy holidays!

Updates

• Based on feedback, filter and OS changes have been added here.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

This is very fun. I made one immediately, lots of fun skinning the box.
Unwrapped an OST giveaway right after.... I appreciate the gesture but that's socks for Xmas right there. Still, enjoying the Event a lot and as someone who will occasionally indulge in blind box collectables, the risk/reward works the right dopamine here too.

4 years ago

I think most users won't want to enter for DLC or games that have been free. If giveaways are allowed to be created for these in the event, it would be nice if they were labeled as such.

I would love it if there was a way to filter out giveaways that I have blocked on SG.

Edit: If you can block giveaways that you have blocked on SG, it should probably be done in a way that does not label them, but removes them from the list. If they are labeled, someone that has an empty SG block list could just block 1 or more games that they want and then look through the giveaways to find those games. If you remove the blocked games and show everything else, I think it will make it harder to find specific games.

Edit 2: I feel like the way it is setup now, people that just want a +1 on their Steam account will enter and potentially win a lot more than people that only enter for games they are interested in. The site already stops you from opening boxes for games you own, so collectors will just open any box and enter every one they open while the people who only enter for games they are interested in will not enter most of the boxes they open. Out of the 100 possible giveaways to enter (currently), collectors will probably enter all 100 while a lot of other users might only enter 5 or 10 if they don't find many they are interested in.

4 years ago*

Agree with Droj -- if the event could read our current filters and preferences, that would be amazing. And in that case, I think only being able to open 1-2 boxes per day would be fine.

If we can't implement filters/preferences, I'd at least like to see DLC clearly marked.

Thanks for bringing back this event!

4 years ago

Seasonβ€˜s Greetings

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago

BUMP ^^

4 years ago

I think having hints would be great or genres, sure it can be fun for some to make boxes for absolutely any key they can get their hands on but it's a downer to open 99.99% uninterested type games, and with the sheer number of boxes for this event last time, it's a high certainty. To be honest, I gave up on this event last year except to look at some nice winter-themed boxes for 30 seconds every day, that's how I chose all my boxes.

4 years ago

Well, the primary concern is definitely no value games and DLCs, but I'd love to be able to filter out platformers, as well.
Unfortunately, the way Steam handles tags, tag elements don't work through Steam itself (as most games show up for most any genre), making filtering pretty ineffective on Steam [due to Steam's poor handling of things, but also by the fact that broader genre labels sometimes lack proper localization of association; Eg, "Platformer" may be applied to many different games with only limited platforming, rather than just games which fundamentally fill genre expectations], nevermind through community sites.

More simply put, I don't think there's a real way to handle genre tagging and filtering, not without a lot of effort from SG's community.

4 years ago

Considering how many gift boxes was created last year, I think 10 boxes per day would be fair :)

A DLC warning would be nice as well

4 years ago

5 boxes are more than enough If we can apply our filter list.
10 boxes If we can't.

4 years ago

I really like this idea. I second this.

4 years ago

I vote for 5 "Random Box!" opens [which'll automatically ignore DLC boxes], and 5 select-a-box ones. :P

Also, for No Value games to be excluded from the event, thus limiting the liklihood of poor pulls further.

4 years ago

Agree with "no value" games being excluded from the event.

4 years ago

What's the problem with "No value" games? That thing only "affects" the one making the giveaway cause it would not count for leveling up. The fact that a game has a no value tag is only due to the game being bundled several times or was a free game at some point, that doesn't mean it's a bad game, undesirable or not on someone's wishlist.
If you can open the box, it's not on your collection (usually).
Also, opening 10 gifts instead of 5 gives you a better chance for something you might really want.
And then you need to actually win it. ;)

4 years ago

For me, a "No Value" game given away for the Holiday event is like putting out the tinned Fruitcake that has made the yearly rounds through your family and friends for the last 20 years. The gift that keeps getting given, that no one wants to open, or eat. It's been given away over and over, and will likely keep being given away, over and over, for years to come.

Just my feelings on it.

4 years ago

Happy holidays!

4 years ago

View attached image.
4 years ago

Thanks for bringing this back, Cg. Happy holidays!

4 years ago

Whoo-hoo!
Great event
Thanks CG
❀

4 years ago

Great, I really like this event. Thanks for bringing it back!

4 years ago

Box I see, Box I open.

Thanks and bump.

4 years ago

how to join it?

4 years ago

10 would be better than 5. There were so many boxes last year, it would be fun to open more, even if you can't or don' want to enter all the giveaways.

4 years ago

Perhaps it's just an issue on my end but is anyone else having a problem loading more than just the first page using ESGST & Chrome browser.

I see the all the pages at once as I have it set for infinite scroll. Perhaps that's an issue but only the first page images load. The other 5 pages ATM, they load, they have links but no images. Just curious if anyone else is familiar with the issue. In case I'm doing something simple wrong or something. πŸ˜‰

Thanks to anyone with any info. Happy Holidays.πŸ™‚

4 years ago

Same problem here. First page looks right.
The rest of the pages are missing all graphics of the boxes. Just blank.

4 years ago

Solution found it was endless scrolling not infinite scrolling as I initially misnamed it. ;)

https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=settings&id=es

4 years ago*

ESGST and Chrome here... and no problem. i was thinking about the "infinite scroll" option in ESGST (Endless Scrolling), and i have it turned off:

https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=settings&id=es

might depend on that?

4 years ago

I have infinite scroll on.
My "fix" is to click on the ESGST symbol and changed its read/write persmission from "steamgifts.com" to load when I click on the ESGST symbol.
Edit: Nevermind, that reset all my permissions.

4 years ago*

Yes it does. That was my first thought as well. I ended up turning it off in settings for now!

As it was less of a hassle. Seeing as the same thing the poster below me mentioned happened. Reset permissions. That's more of a hassle than changing one setting; I figure.

Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it. πŸ‘πŸ™‚

4 years ago

4 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

4 years ago

YES!!!
Thank you sg <3

4 years ago

payday-2-the-bomb-heists DLC
sniper-ghost-warrior-trilogy package

I already owned them but I still could enter the giveway.
Holiday Gift Box Event 2019 filter didn't work just like 2018.

4 years ago

"get ready"...cause Holiday Gift Box Event 2020 will be the same!

problem is on Steam side, SG just can't detect those (same as for "Profile feature limited").
manually checking the Steam game page of giveaway you're entering to be sure you don't already own it helps a lot: no problemo for you, GA creator and Support staff :D

4 years ago

Thanks ^_^

4 years ago

No hints is good, I think, it adds suspense :P
About the number of presents that could be opened daily, I don't have a precise opinion, but maybe 10 (instead of 5) could be nice. Of course, it all depends on how many presents will be created.
Thank you cg!

4 years ago

Gran Grand cg!

also, 10 boxes, obviously!
no need of hints, but that's just me... it really won't hurt, tho, and already curious to see what "kind" of hint i might get = yes for hints

thanks again, the space-admin!

4 years ago

5 boxes per day is plenty.

And yes, DLC or OSTs should have some sort of designation on them.

But "frequently wish-listed" or "popular" should not. Leave that be. Or some people will only go for the boxes that say "Hey! Hot game here! Open me! I'm an expensive game!"

Unless there is a puppy in the box.
An actual puppy.
Of course, the puppy pee on the ground below the box might be a dead giveaway anyway.

An idea, if possible. Shuffle the list. So that boxes created today are not buried in a day or two. Shuffling would randomize the order that you see boxes in, giving each and every gift a better chance of being seen by late-comers to the event. And lessen the griping about having to page forward or back to see them all. And yeah, filters that remove games that you already own from your list, so that your list is not populated by a ton of GAs you can't enter.

4 years ago*

Unless there is a puppy in the box.
An actual puppy.
Of course, the puppy pee on the ground below the box might be a dead giveaway anyway.

The box allows for transparency on its images, as well as a bottom-of-box image, so you could probably arrange something like that.

Shuffling would randomize the order that you see boxes in, giving each and every gift a better chance of being seen by late-comers to the event.

From what I can see, this flat out wouldn't work. Putting aside any other deliberations on the matter (and I do see some other downsides to the idea), all you'd be doing is exchanging lost focus on older giveaways [which presumably managed some entries already to begin with] for lost focus on newer giveaways. There's no clear benefit and, rather, the change may actually be detrimental.

I do agree that the event'd benefit from some randomization, though. Now that the idea came up [earlier in the thread], I'm kinda liking the idea of an "open random box" button (I feel like I may have actually asked for that the previous year, though, now that I think about it) with a free use (or multiple uses) each day [to encourage at least a minimum amount of use of it]. That sort of setup should be enough to spread attentions to older entries, while still not breaking down existing structures of benefit.

4 years ago

I do like that "Open random box" idea, provided I could filter out DLCs and OSTs that I may not want or need. And that would be a decent compromise.

4 years ago

Closed 3 years ago by cg.