Hi SG,

Our holiday gift box event is back for 2019, starting now and ending December 25! Dust off Photoshop (or Paint) and get ready to share your creative designs with our community and to unlock great giveaways each day.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
    • Please ensure your gift box design is appropriate for all ages and respectful of others in the community. Inappropriate designs will need to be removed along with the corresponding giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

• Do you think gift boxes should contain hints? For example, should we display whether a box contains a frequently wishlisted game, a popular game, DLC, etc? This might allow users to better target whether they want to focus on certain types of games, or if they want to open less popular boxes with fewer entries. At the same time, the hints could spoil some of the surprise. What do you think?
  • Should we allow 5 or 10 boxes to be opened per day?

Happy holidays!

Updates

• Based on feedback, filter and OS changes have been added here.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Thanks, cg!

A DLC marker might be nice. Also, perhaps a warning that the item is on one's filter list.

4 years ago

Depends on the volume of gift boxes. For example 5 boxes if < 20 boxes made per day on average or 10 boxes if >40 per day on average.
No hints needed, usually the wrapping has hints unless someone is trolling :P

4 years ago

Thanks for the event! I don't want any hints, except for free games, and possibly for dlc

4 years ago

5 boxes per day should be sufficient. The downside might be that some of the GAs could end up with less than 5 entries.

I'd totally agree to be able to see if it's a DLC tho 'cause most owned DLCs (and some complete packs) still show up and can be opened/entered even if you own them and hid them from your general GA feed.
Filtering out all hidden games from the christmas GAs would be nice but might be a bit too exploitable knowing that I got like 16.000 games filtered myself (my reason is that I just want to enter for stuff that I'm gonna play tho).

4 years ago

5 a day is fine for me.
Notifications for DLC would be good, but aside from that I like the surprise element and searching for games I want.

4 years ago

DLC boxes bite when I already own it :/

That said, 5 is enough for me as with 10, I'd probably exhaust all the options.

4 years ago

Cool, can't wait some cool box designs! ^^

4 years ago

Thank you for recreating the event. β™‘

4 years ago

Thanks CG! Always lovely event, thanks to everyone who contributes too <3 Happy Holidays in advance!

4 years ago

Yay, it's back. Like others, a dlc tag is good due to the issues those have.
Disagree with hiding things on the hide list- too exploitable.
5 is probably enough (depends on amount made) but I like the bonus random roll per day idea floating around here.

4 years ago

Should we allow 5 or 10 boxes to be opened per day?

I think the number of tries each day should depend on the point value of the gifts inside the boxes opened. Meaning, if someone opens a bunch of 1P gifts, they get extra tries that day.I am aware that value doesn't always reflect quality and it's also a matter of personal preference, but it's still very frustrating when you spent all your tries for a day on 1P "trash".

4 years ago

+1
I think there's a lot of merit to this idea! It's flexible, not easily abused (if implemented with careful thought), and definitely warrants further consideration. If some troll wants to add 50 boxes of "Putin Asset Flip Battle Royal Simulator 2021", all I ask is a way to protect myself from losing 20+% of my daily resources because of said troll. As we saw last year, the honor system doesn't work in this event and people will go out of their way to deliberately waste your time.

4 years ago

I support this idea!

4 years ago

Okay, so let me make this suggestion more concrete: how about 50P worth a day, but no less than 5 boxes a day? So it would be possible to open another box as long as you're not over the 50P limit or don't have used up your 5 tries yet. In extreme cases someone would be able to open a lot of 1P or 2P value gifts, but that's exactly the point, they would get some kind of compensation for being unlucky with their picks.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago*

This is GREAT.
But, why do we see a lot of games we have HIDDEN before? Or the ones we already OWN?

That makes the list too long, for some of us.

Also, a small question: Is there some game someone of you would like to see from me in the Boxes? List is here: https://barter.vg/u/3f74/t/
(feeling charitable)

4 years ago

Do you think gift boxes should contain hints?
Should we allow 5 or 10 boxes to be opened per day?

Like many others, I think it'd be nice if the gifts containing DLCs were labeled as such (because SG has troubles tracking owned/unowned DLCs). And I think 5 gifts per day is perfect :)

4 years ago

It may be a good idea, indeed. ( I ran into a couple of these "already have" dlc's gifts in a row, this morning... :( Guess why I'm a litlle upset ? )

4 years ago

Aw, that's a bummer :(

4 years ago

Choose 1 more gift box to open today. The day ends in 13 hours
View attached image.
4 years ago

relatable haha

4 years ago

View attached image.
4 years ago

Happy Holidays all and thanks for the chances!

4 years ago

heck i love this event every year, its great.

would be cool if there was a randomizer option you could use once per day, to open a random gift. or even make the randomization be it will open one wishlisted game type gift.

once per day for a super cool treat would be awesome, then the other 4 can just be you opening with fingers crossed lol

4 years ago

Maybe not excluding DLCs, but marking them would be nice. As they are improperly detected by SG and sometimes allow users to enter even when they do not own base game (like in case of F1 2007...).

And games with Steam is learning about could be excluded, as it's not possible to detect them. So users can enter for something they already have.

4 years ago

I love this event, but i do wish we could open more boxes each day.

4 years ago

thank you so much for this great event and happy holidays to everyone =)

4 years ago

Don't show boxes for games we have hidden. Maybe it already works that way. So many "Steam is learning" games that SG can't detect as owned, as well as DLC and banned/removed games. I hide them all but it would be a waste for them to show up again as boxes if I've already hidden them. Thanks :)

4 years ago

That's too exploitable though :/
(So no, doesn't work that way)

4 years ago

Maybe better would probably be to disallow creating boxes for those games/DLCs in the first place. If the Steamgifts database shows zero owners, just block that GA from the event.

4 years ago

I think Hassat replied about the hidden games - other than that, DLC/pack/profile limited could go with a warning or something - one can own it and SG can't filter it out unlike the base games.

4 years ago

Not really. There's over 40K games on Steam atp, and even the most extensive hide lists still come up at least 20K short of covering it all.

4 years ago

This way users quickly can search their top wishlisted games. (endless scroll (or open pages in new tabs) -> ignore Cyberpunk -> endless scroll (or open pages in new tabs) -> find the missing ones -> open Cyberpunk boxes)

4 years ago

Easily solvable by making the hidden games list only work for users who actually use it (ie. have over a certain number of games hidden). You could also simply ignore games that were hidden after the start of the event (all hidden games are dated).

4 years ago

This is SUPER event!!!
Thank you!!!

4 years ago

Thank you for the event, Merry Christmas in advance!

4 years ago

How about allowing us to post spoilers to troll GAs? I've already opened my first (and obviously not the last) "Cyberpunk" GA, and that's not fun at all.

4 years ago

Welcome to lootboxes. Also, having no expectations makes it a lot more fun, just look for nice boxes, we have enough giveaways anyway ^^

4 years ago

Just a heads up to anyone having issues with the box graphics loading...

In my case it was endless scrolling with ESGST.

As setting the extension to click to load & not loading it on that page reset all my permissions!

So for those with the issue click here & turn off endless scrolling.
https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=settings&id=es

So if you're having problems try that. Hope that helps somebody. πŸ™‚

Thanks as well to iciao for the link. πŸ‘

Edited: With a better solution that doesn't reset permissions! πŸ˜‰

4 years ago*

Infinite scrolling also seems to mess with page 2+ on filtered games list.

Interestingly, I changed my permissions back and they kept.
I did change it both with ESGST permissions section and it in Chrome Extension manager
The load ESGST on demand works for me and I actually prefer it.

4 years ago

Nice. πŸ™‚

Everyone has there own preferences. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. For me it's easier to turn endless scrolling on & off once a day when I look at boxes. To each there own I say. πŸ˜‰ Just glad it got figure out.

4 years ago

Closed 3 years ago by cg.