Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Endless scrolling seems to be broken in Chrome :'(

4 years ago

Can you be a bit more specific? What page? What happens when you scroll down? It's working fine for me.

4 years ago

Front page with all the giveaways.

I get the error in console: Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'pause' of undefined
at Object.es_activate (esgst.js:100)
at Object.init (esgst.js:100)
at Object.loadFeatures (esgst.js:1)
at async a (esgst.js:100)

The sort function does no longer remember last selected item in the dropdown.

Maybe its my extension... I'll try another PC tomorrow :)

4 years ago

No, it's the extension. As a workaround, try going here, and under "Where to run in on SteamGifts?" check "Paused" and save. Then you can unpause it. That should work.

4 years ago

I'm probably dense but I can't seem to make the extension work in Chrome. It's installed, it's on and still nothing on SG.

Anything else I need to do on Chrome to make it work?

4 years ago

Nope, it should work without any additional work. Can you try maybe uninstalling it and installing it again? Or closing the browser and opening it again?

4 years ago

Tried and it didn't work. I'm going to try to uninstall and resinstall Chrome

4 years ago

Do you know how to inspect the background page of an extension on Chrome? There could be useful error logs there.

4 years ago

I do but I can't see anything that looks weird.
Don't worry about it, I'll just wait for Mozilla to fix their booboos.
Thanks for the help

4 years ago

How do I manually change version in Firefox? Can't sync nor backup on 8.3.4 and I've seen that the brand new 8.3.5 version is already on Github even though Firefox doesn't find any update yet. What do I do with the content of extension-firefox.zip from Github?

4 years ago

What's wrong with the backup?

You'll have to wait. Looks like Mozilla is under a lot of stress right now, v8.3.5 is at 59 of 74 in the queue, and I submitted it hours ago.

If you want to manually install it as a temporary add-on, follow this: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Temporary_Installation_in_Firefox

4 years ago

Thank you. Loading 8.3.5 as temporary extension wasn't a great idea because I lost my data. Luckily I was able to restore it as the backup actually worked, I thought it didn't because the pop-up window stayed.
I hoped there was a safer way to undo updates for when I happen to have problems with the latest update (like now with sync) and don't want to wait for a fix, but it's ok.

4 years ago

4 years ago

Oh, that's good. Too bad I'm having the same sync issue with v8.3.0, that's strange because I didn't use to have it with that version. But I guess I'll solve it very soon anyway, when v8.3.5 will be available.

4 years ago

The sync issue is with all versions prior to v8.3.5, because I've changed the endpoint for retrieving the reduced / no CV games.

4 years ago

I see, what's really strange now is that I finally updated to 8.3.5 and it's still getting stuck when syncing reduced CV games...
Edit: oh no, sorry, I'm still at 8.3.4 even though Firefox dated it 5th may.

4 years ago

I just updated the extsnion to 8.3.5, but now it seems broken. I always get this: https://i.imgur.com/J4F8Bbe.png

Chrome says at this line:
https://i.imgur.com/p59rQdd.png

4 years ago

There's a new version on the way that should fix it.

4 years ago

auto scroll and some other things are kinda broken

4 years ago

Possible workaround for endless scrolling is posted above. Can you specify the other things?

4 years ago

a minor graphical bug and the filters sometimes are not working at all (needed to refresh the page to actually work every time i visited SG for the first time)

but all got fixed

4 years ago

You're not really responsible for maintaining compatibility with other userscripts, but the newest update seems to no longer be compatible with Extended Steamgifts for whatever reason.

4 years ago*

Yeah, conflicts with other scripts are not my priority, specially when ESGST already does pretty much everything Extended SteamGifts does. If you can find out what the issue is, I'll be glad to fix it (if I can).

4 years ago

By disabling options one by one by one I've isolated that display chances option in Extended Steamgifts breaks everything. Both ESGST and Extended Steamgifts work on their own. Combining them and turning on "display chances" in Extended Steamgifts causes the page to load forever until Chrome asks to kill the webpage.

4 years ago

Is there a reason you still use Extended Steamgifts beside ESGST?

4 years ago

So I can hide entered giveaways.

I also aesthetically like the enter giveaway button in Extended Steamgifts more. As I wouldn't need a leave button when the giveaway is instantly hidden anyway.

Active discussions in sidebar is cool too. See what people are talking about at a glance.

4 years ago

Pretty surely ESGST can do all of this too, most certainly the hide part, I'm using that right now ^^

and option 3.1 for sidebar

4 years ago

Do you know what that would be called in the settings?

4 years ago

it's among the ga filter settings ^^

4 years ago

3.1 Keeps reverting to Top when I have it set to Sidebar, even after saving.

But yeah 2.21 hides entered giveaways perfectly.

https://i.imgur.com/DerLmbw.gifv

4 years ago*

weird, just tried and it worked for me

4 years ago

Will look into it.

4 years ago

i really need a guide for this haha

4 years ago

When you install the extension for the first time, there is an interactive guide showing you the basics. Did you not get that?

All features have descriptions telling you what they do and where to find them. Some features have interactive guides that make the learning process easier, but it will take a while until I add interactive guides for all features.

4 years ago

Thank you dude, i already desactivated "AutoJoin for SteamGifts" to test your add-on still i miss night mode.
I'm testing one by one function.
And.. welcome to my whitelist :D

4 years ago

You can configure ESGST to use the themes by SquishedPotatoe or Mully, in the Themes section in the settings menu.

4 years ago

read and change data on OneDrive servers, why?

4 years ago

+1 @OP I don't think I have much on OneDrive but is there an explanation anywhere why permission is needed to read and change data on it?

4 years ago

It's not just OneDrive, it also requires permissions for Dropbox and Google Drive. They're used for backing up data to the cloud (https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=backup). If you're referring to the new permission that was added to v8.3.7, it's a fix for some people that were facing issues when trying to restore data from OneDrive (https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/1311).

I plan on using optional permissions in the future to make sure that permissions are only asked when needed, but the source code of the extension is fully available on GitHub (https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST) for anyone to verify that there's nothing malicious in it, and I'm pretty sure you can disable the permissions for the sites on chrome://extensions/?id=ibedmjbicclcdfmghnkfldnplocgihna if you're that skeptical.

4 years ago

Thanks for the answer, great work.

4 years ago

What?

4 years ago

wow, I could not imagine, that this would be possible with plugin!
Thank you.

4 years ago

You're welcome!

4 years ago

Thank you for constantly answer questions about this. I can't even imagine...

I've looked and looked for a way to revert the setting that nests the whitelist checker and GA extractor in the drop down on discussion pages. Could you point me in the right direction?

4 years ago

There's a discussion about it here.

4 years ago

That saved me! Thank you gsrafael01!
I was looking for it and i couldn't find it in the settings and I was feeling dump that I had to ask you again...

4 years ago

Via updating to Firefox 66.0.4, all extensions are working again. All my data was preserved--but I never tried any of the hotfixes or other stuff. If you did, YMMV.

4 years ago

syncing isn't working though
just constant circular arrows going around...

4 years ago

In v8.3.7?

4 years ago

I'm on 8.3.4
Haven't had a notification to update...
https://i.imgur.com/Wpm4vS7.png

4 years ago*

v8.3.7 fixes that. If you're on Firefox, it's a mess right now (https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/), so the update will probably take a while to be available.

Edit: I've added a workaround for users that cannot update to v8.3.7 yet, you should now be able to sync.

4 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Hi, just updated to 8.3.7

I noticed that in "Created/Entered/Won Giveaway Details" on Won pages. If you have 1-4 enabled everything fits. But if you also enable entries it add both entries and chance which makes it so that the game title doesnt fit on same row.

I have SGv2 Dark by SquishedPotatoe with fixed width.

4 years ago

Go to the Giveaway Winning Chance setting and add the won page to where the feature should not run, like this: https://prnt.sc/nlylyb

4 years ago

Thanks, it was still cutting some titles and tags and moved them down. But I disabled levels and replaced it with just entries so now it is as wide as before.

I guess the fixed or 100% setting doesnt have anything to do with this script but with the dark script?

4 years ago

Not sure, this only started in v8.3.7?

4 years ago

I guess it was like that before too. But I only noticed it when I updated and enabled it.

4 years ago

Something went wrong with endless scrooling. Seems that I'm only loading last page right now.

4 years ago

You mean when visiting a discussion?

4 years ago

Yeah... It seems that affects all scrooling since frontpage isn't loading till the end anymore.

4 years ago

Endless Scrolling was paused.
I didn't even know that option exists. My bad.
It was/is working all the time.

Edit.: Also, I switched to Chrome again. Firefox is having several problems with Steam server (it isn't loading most info/images). Dunno why, but some users are affected by this problem and I found lots of topics discussing that. No solution tho.

4 years ago

how to enable the button "hide Discussions" ?
Imgur2
Imgur3

I can not switch any function, hangs up "ESGSTSettings"

4 years ago*

Same. Can't change any settings in ESGST as it hangs.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

4 years ago*

thanks for the answer

4 years ago

hangs up "ESGSTSettings"

What do you mean?

Edit: Nevermind, I can reproduce.

4 years ago

The button is appearing fine for me. Can you share your settings?

4 years ago

settings

When I click on any function, the button turns on or off after 15 seconds
within these 15 seconds "ESGST Settings" freezes

4 years ago

No, that's all your data, I only need your settings. There's a button called "Download settings" in the settings menu. You might want to delete this, if you have personal data there, such as notes / tags.

4 years ago

Leeet.

View attached image.
4 years ago

Haha xD

4 years ago

How to change it back? Can't find the way to unhide those options

View attached image.
4 years ago

It happened to me too!!! I'm going nuts for past few days!!! 😭😭😭😭😭
I thought I did something wrong to the settings. 😱

4 years ago

Try resetting the main page heading buttons in the Element Ordering section in the settings menu.

4 years ago

Thanks, it works!!! 😭👍🏽

4 years ago

Ah I never used that moving buttons option before, so even didn't search in that section. Thanks a lot

4 years ago

What setting do I need to change so that the endless scrolling buttons are visible without having to click on the "..." button? (And other applicable buttons)
In other words, the way it was before the "..." buttons appeared.

4 years ago

Read comments above.

4 years ago

Ah, I see, thanks.

4 years ago

hide threads in steamtrades seems broken for me after updating firefox? Can you confirm?

4 years ago

It's working for me, but someone else reported it's not working on SteamGifts. I'm trying to figure out what's happening.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll do some tests on Firefox today to try to find the issue.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

What are your settings for User Filters? And what do you mean by "replies appear in notifications"?

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Name function: Enter / Leave Giveaway Button
What does it do? : You can move the button around by dragging and dropping it.

Question: how exactly can i move this button? Dragging and dropping does not work.

Name function: Giveaway Group Loader
Additional Options: Panel (On Page Load)
I change this option, click save, the page is updated, but the changes are not applied and this option remains as "Panel (On Page Load)"

4 years ago

Go to the "Element Ordering" section of the settings menu. Some feature descriptions are outdated, now all element ordering is done in that section.

The setting bug is fixed in v8.3.8.

4 years ago

Enter / Leave Giveaway Button: remove option to show description and make it mandatory

https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/1326

noice and appreciated!

thank you, rafael

4 years ago

I'm already bracing for the complaints. This option has had the biggest back-and-forth in this extension. It used to be mandatory, then it wasn't, then it was, then it wasn't, then it was and then it wasn't again. xD And now it is once more. But this time I don't think I'll cave to the complaints. I said that last time.

4 years ago

lol

i'd keep it, but 'm not the dev.

as a user/member:
if there's only the "GL HF", it'd be just a matter of nanosecs to click anywhere and close it. not much.

4 years ago

You can still filter descriptions like that using https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=settings&id=elgb_f. The difference is that you can no longer enter your own filters, but have to choose from a limited list of filters that are retrieved from https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/blob/master/elgb_filters.json (I'll definitely be updating the list to include other descriptions that people feel are unnecessary to see based on their feedback, though).

4 years ago

are unnecessary to see

can't help you, then... i usually like to see the "whole picture", i neither hide games i own :P

(that's a neat simple solution , thanks for linking)

4 years ago

Oh, I agree. I don't hide anything. :P I'm just talking about it from the user's perspective.

4 years ago

I have to say that - WORST change ever! What is the reason behind this change?

Anyway, fork created. Now I will have fun with merges after every update :P

4 years ago

Seriously? Reading a description for 2 seconds is so horrible that you prefer to maintain your own fork of the extension? Well, by all means, good luck.

4 years ago

lik to the fork?

this change is fucking awful

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

ty
i didnt know how to use github

4 years ago

4 years ago

A downside of this change will be that some users will stick to older versions. IIRC that was the reason you changed this the last time.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

You are literally achieving nothing but annoying people with it because there is a piss easy way around this restriction that doesn't even involve forking your project like someone else did.

4 years ago

Playing with CSS to hide the popup? Go ahead. At least ESGST officially enforces the restriction.

4 years ago

Not even that, I literally just disabled your button and enabled the Extended Steamgifts one and it works wonders. Also just because you deleted the old versions it doesn't mean people don't have some of them saved :)

4 years ago

Even better, because then the request doesn't come from my extension. I'd advise anyone who is that annoyed by it to do this. Only downsides are that when you enter giveaways from the Extended SteamGifts button, it won't interact with ESGST (for example, for filters, bookmarks, entry tracker, saving data, etc.). But I guess those are all unimportant things, because seeing a description popup for 1 second? UNACCEPTABLE!

But it means they won't be able to use it without loading it manually (at least on Firefox, because Chrome didn't offer old versions anyway).

4 years ago*

ESGST filters still work for me with it unless this is not the filters you mean. Literally the only 4 3 things I use ESGST for is the filter in the screenshot, the enter button, to show giveaway groups on the "https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaways/" pages and the SG tools check functions on profiles so the rest I don't use so it doesn't affect me at all. And it so not so much the fact that there is a popup that bothers me, it is taking away the functionality for no good reason that has already been there and it obvious that a lot of people used it. And this doesn't go just for this, this is valid for a lot of software out there looks at Skype.

There is also still the option to use the old userscript too :)

4 years ago

Yes, but the giveaway would not be immediately filtered when using the Extended SteamGifts button if you have the filters set to filter entered giveaways. And surely you won't die if you adapt to the new functionality. Also, it being mandatory was the original functionality, the option only came later.

Enjoy the bugs. :)

4 years ago

That always annoyed me (together with the fact that a giveaway would instantly be hidden if you hide it manually) because I clicked on the wrong thing too many times without having the ability to easily fix it so I will happily take it :D

You are talking to the person who still uses the old Steam chat even if it killed 3/4 of the Steam clients functionality just to be able to use it. I don't like change :)
It is still taking existing functionality away for no good reason even if it was added after lol.

Considering that till not that long ago I was using an really old version (5.something that I edited to remove a lot of useless to me stuff out) I think I will be fine with the way I have it set up now ;)

4 years ago*

There are plenty of good reasons. It's pretty ignorant of you to say that there are none just because you don't like it. It's not my problem if you don't like change.

Yes, it's easy for you because you don't use many features. Not so easy for most users who use lots of features.

4 years ago

Considering your are ignoring people asking why you changed it I can't imagine there is a good one. And if you are going to say something along the lines that people don't read the description/info/advertising from the GA creator then, I am going to say that is a pretty bad one since you can just ignore everything that it says in the description anyways.

Oh and if you would be so nice can you add "PA and PoP rules apply." and "Please no comments unless there is something important or you are the winner." to the exception list? I use them on almost all my giveaways and they always written the same and don't want people to get popups just because they are there.

That ain't my problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 years ago

I already answered it. It doesn't matter if you can ignore it, what matters is that ESGST enforces it. By your logic, SteamGifts also shouldn't show the descriptions, because "people can just ignore them anyway".

Exactly.

4 years ago

This and this didn't get an answer, but I saw you did answer on the next page now, so nevermind.

No, because if people do want to read them they could open it and it would be there, but this way you make everyone open it if for no reason if they want to read it or not.

hopefully, read.

good luck with that one.

And don't get me wrong, I do read almost every single one of the group/whitelist/wishlist/DLC/pack GA descriptions, it is just the public ones I can't be arsed because 99% of the time are absolutely nothing of any use and are a waste of time.

4 years ago

I'm with Mouse on this. Reading the descriptions on group/private/train GAs makes sense. Public descriptions more often than not are garbage and if the people making them really wanted to be read they wouldn't make them public.

4 years ago

That, in and of itself, discourages public giveaways.

4 years ago

You would have to open it anyway if you were entering it without the help of scripts.

4 years ago

Sidebar/top for active discussions works for me now, Thanks you!

Since the update option 7.2 [Game Categories] seems to overwrite RaChart's highlighting. Disabling returns it to normal.

4 years ago*

Weird, I didn't really do anything to Game Categories in the new update. I'll see if I can reproduce.

4 years ago

I have a problem, it started just now (I assume the extension got updated today):

I can't save the Settings if I'm changing 'Permissions'.
I click on "save settings" button, it changes to "saving..." and nothing happens.

The error in browser console

Error: permissions.request may only be called from a user input handler      eventPage.js:8:146951

I'm having a popup "give permissions..." on every SG page, that I can't get rid of, without that settings.

I'm on Firefox (v 66.0.2, Linux Mint) extension v 8.3.8.

4 years ago

Which permission is it asking?

4 years ago

Game Categories says: No permission to perform this action. Please go to the "Permissions" section of the settings menu and grant the required permissions: *://*.gsrafael01.me/*, *://*.store.steampowered.com/*
4 years ago

And which one of those is not granted? You can disable Game Categories and the popup will go away, but it's odd that it's even asking it. If you were using Game Categories before, then the permissions should still be active. Perhaps Firefox deals with permissions differently than Chrome, I'll test on Firefox to see if I can reproduce.

4 years ago

I was using them before (I have not changed any settings today), but in the permissions list none is granted, everything is turned off.

4 years ago

Ok, I can reproduce, it's a Firefox issue. I'll try to fix as soon as possible.

4 years ago

And upon visiting SG i got this one
https://i.imgur.com/2MgJsz6.png
ESGST 8.3.8
FF 66.0.5

4 years ago

v8.3.9 is out, please try it.

4 years ago

Working for me, thank you!

4 years ago

Same here on FF 66.0.5

4 years ago

4 years ago

Yay! Thanks! Just upgraded from 8.3.8 to 8.3.10, and after re-establishing the permissions, it works

4 years ago

New version fixed it. Thank you!

4 years ago

removed ESGST and installed latest.. have gone to restore data from computer, but it just sits there restoring.. doesn't complete...
used to take a split second to complete...

4 years ago

4 years ago

Got this error in a new tab, and it as before it doesn't complete restoring data
https://i.imgur.com/UGbbfJw.png

4 years ago

Ok, v8.3.10 should finally fix it.

4 years ago

upon coming back to SG i got this error again.. (and ESGST was uninstalled i think?)
But installing new version, and it seems to be ok..
cheers

4 years ago

I cant disable pop up when enter giveaway by use enter/leave button
its new error i think like 2 days ago comeout

4 years ago

Not an error.

4 years ago

Is there a way to disable it though? It get's pretty annoying :)

4 years ago

No.

4 years ago

Issue this part of the changelog refers to is deleted now. Could you please elaborate, why is this modal now mandatory?

4 years ago

To show the description of the giveaway.

4 years ago

By the way, you can use https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=settings&id=elgb_f to filter some descriptions like "GL: HF", "Enjoy", etc...

4 years ago

• Is there a way to disable it though? It get's so annoying ... if no i going back for old Versions
4 years ago

No.

4 years ago

why it was disabled and now is not? there should be an option to show or not...

4 years ago

i see old version best from new its easily and dont have many option and let me search on them and i didnt see any bug in it while used it
BTW small description isnt bad but big ones is who is bad

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.