Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I'm having some problems with new permissions in Firefox 56 (Windows 7 x64 if that matters).

Whenever I change some permissions in settings popup, a new tab is opened with the text: "Some browsers require an additional user interaction to trigger the permissions dialog. Please click on the button below to proceed." and a button. Clicking on that button does nothing.

I checked the console and no errors or warnings are logged. In the other tab, the one with the settings popup, the save button's text changes to "Saving..." and can't do anything but closing the popup.

As I read, this should be working because other users have no problems, so it may have something to do with this version of Firefox (last one before webextensions were mandatory). Tell me if I can do anything to debug the problem.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Looks like versions 56-61 don't allow triggering the dialog from an options page without a setting configured: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/permissions I'll see if I can fix it in the next version.

4 years ago

I just tested on Firefox 56 and the permissions are working fine for me. Maybe you blocked something on your version? Try checking the background page console (you need to go to about:debugging#addons, enable debugging and click "Debug" on the ESGST add-on).

4 years ago

I did what you said but no errors are showing. I disabled every other addon, just in case, but didn't work either.

It looks like the 'click' event in not being registered on the button. I tried to force a click event via javascript in the console and then I got this error: "'permissions.request may only be called from a user input handler", so the click event is indeed attached to the button but not being triggered when I click on the button with the mouse. Really weird...

Anything else I can test?

4 years ago

Can you try the browser console or the extension console? Firefox sometimes does not output certain errors to some consoles.

4 years ago

Hi, any news on this?

4 years ago

Hi, sorry for the late response!

Yes, I've been looking into this. I'm not an expert in webextensions, but I managed to create a temporary addon in about:debugging, so I could make some logs to detect where it was failing.

Last message I said that the browser was not listening to the click event but I was wrong. There's nothing wrong with that, the click event launches, the variable 'permissions' is correct too (e.g: {"permissions":[],"origins":["://.gsrafael01.me/*"]}), but the promise browser.permissions.request is not resolved and remains in pending state (Promise { <state>: "pending" }), so the callback (sendMessage 'permissions_request_firefox_resolve') is never called.

When i click on the button, nothing happens, no dialog popup is displayed asking for any permissions, no errors are logged, anything. It just silently fails. I guess this might be the reason why the promise is not fullfiled. I disabled all other addons and checked my browser options, everything seems to be ok, no blocking permissions. I don't know why that happens but I'm almost sure it's not ESGST's fault.

I'll keep on investigating this issue, and will inform you if I get into something. If you have any ideas why this might be happening or any check ups I can do, please tell me.

4 years ago

Could it be that your firefox is too old and doesn't have the api gsrafael01 is using ?

4 years ago

I don't think so. I'm using version 56.0b9 and permissions api is compatible since version 55
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/permissions

4 years ago

Took a look at the page and saw some caveats about the api on v55.0, but as you are on a beta of v56 those probably do not apply in your case.

You could create a new profile on firefox and install just ESGST to rule out interference by any addon or setting on your current profile.

(On a curiosity note, Why use the beta 9 instead of the release version of v56?)

4 years ago

Long story: the reason I was using beta9 is because I used that channel to auto update but when Mozilla made webextensions mandatory in v57, I stopped auto-updating, so I was stuck with that version. I checked Mozilla's FTP (https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/) and that beta version was the last one. Or at least I thought so... When you said why I used this beta, I checked again and that beta version is listed last but then I saw v56.0.2 with newer timestamps. Damn! I installed that version inmediately and now everything is working as expected. Dialog is launched and permissions are applied correctly.

TLDR: I'm an idiot. Listed last doesn't mean newer. Version 56 is working, but not in beta. I'm sorry for wasting your time. Thanks for your help to both of you.

4 years ago*

Glad it's working now :)

Betas can be problematic sometimes. 😅

4 years ago

Recently I have restored the extension settings, but I do not remember to leave the option to display the giveawaya description every time I enter it on. Anyone help?

4 years ago

Giveaway descriptions pop up for me as well all of a sudden when I enter GAs and I just can't find the option to turn it off.
Have you figured it out yet by any chance?

4 years ago

It has been removed. Take a look to the previous comment page, but don't forget to prepare the popcorn first.

4 years ago

Ah ok, I see. Fair enough.
Thank you :)

4 years ago

You can block the popup with this filter in uBlock: ##div.esgst-popup-layer:if(span:has-text(Leave Giveaway)) :-)

4 years ago

That option has been removed.

4 years ago

You can block the popup with this filter in uBlock: ##div.esgst-popup-layer:if(span:has-text(Leave Giveaway))

4 years ago

How do I hide all DLCs from giveaway listings?
This settings don't work https://i.imgur.com/pm0p4Rt.jpg

4 years ago

Use OR instead of AND. The way you have it sep up, only giveaways that have more than 1 chance AND have been entered AND are for a wishlisted game AND are for a DLC will be hidden.

4 years ago

but that way entered won't hide

4 years ago

I set up a filter the same as you have it in the image and it seems to work for me.

It displays all GAs where the chance >= 1, the GA is not already entered, the GA is not for a wishlisted game, and it is not for a DLC.

4 years ago

It's really AND, I got confused. I don't know why it's not hiding DLCs for you. When did this start happening? Or is this the first time you're using the feature?

4 years ago

I would say his settings are right. Are you sure about OR instead of AND?

4 years ago

Yeah, I got confused, but looks like what he wants is really AND.

4 years ago

Could the problem be the usage of basic and advanced filters or that basic filter for chance needs an upper limit to work?

4 years ago

There is indeed a bug with basic + advanced usage at the moment (https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/1333), but I don't know if this could be related. If that's the case, it should be fixed in the next version.

4 years ago

I'm not sure why your filter settings aren't working but you can use steamgifts integrated filters in combination with your ESGST filters. Just use https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaways/search?dlc=false and all dlcs should be filtered. More info here.

4 years ago

hi, first off congrats on getting your script accepted as addons on the main browsers i'm sure that is an achievement

would be interested in knowing what has become of the (very useful) "Have/Wan't Checker" * feature in ST is being held since the steam wish-list change or api update (i'd presume) - this change occurred i think around the time the wish-list format changed dec 2018? or even before that ... not sure anymore

how it used to work: compared the games in the want section of the trade thread + games on the users wish-list in steam
(listing the game names and matching it up with your have list)

how it works now: compares the games in the want section of the trade thread + games on the users wish-list in steam
(only listing them as game ID's therefore incapable of matching them to your have list) ²

² the latter of which would cause you to have 0 matchups unless you had exported/copy-pasted and listed all of your "have games" as ID's (like "638970" instead of yakuza 0) which is a unfortunate, as its clearly still mostly functional just the method sorta changed

edit: before even posting this just noticed the feature isn't listed anymore in ESGST feature list above so "did it dieded?"

View attached image.
4 years ago*

I'll have to look into it. The feature list is very outdated, so no, the feature didn't die.

4 years ago

awesome, thanks in advance for your efforts :-)

4 years ago

Should be fixed in v8.3.13.

4 years ago

just tried it, yup works as it used to - awesome, thanks a bunch! :-)

4 years ago

Thank you for the donation and the game! I've been wanting to play this for a long time. :)

4 years ago

Can someone tell me where are the settings I can enter/leave giveaways on the home page?

4 years ago

I guess I needed to reboot to get it to work.

4 years ago

Hi. Just installed this extension. Enter/leave button works, endless scrolling works, but can't figure it out how this Giveaway Extractor exactly works, how to start it, where is this icon I should see? Thx!

4 years ago

Please try v8.3.13, there were some bugs in the previous version.

4 years ago

chrome removed 8.3.12 installed 8.3.13 and still can't find any button for Extractor..
nvm.. its in comment section on the right ... button..

4 years ago

Thanks for the update, the thread marking feature now works properly and updates the thread states in an instant

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

4 years ago

After yesterday did not shown some of nearest giveaways. it looks like all sorted as if on the contrary, from 6 hours to 0. i press discard all new, not helps. i found giveaway sorter, turned off - seem like all returns to ok. then turns it on and finally found button selector.
So, question is why default is not "End Time - Ascending"?!

4 years ago*

Sorry, I don't understand this at all. Can you illustrate?

4 years ago

1 - by default -
2 - with end time ascending -
i think 2 is option which must be set as default. with this it be looks like was in previous versions,
sorry my english :)

View attached image.
View attached image.
4 years ago

Should be fixed in v8.3.14.

4 years ago

Where to find - hide joined giveaway?

4 years ago

If you haven't already activated you need to activate giveaway filters, multiple filters and entered. After that you should see the filters and can hide all joined aka entered giveaways.

4 years ago

Apologies in advance if I've got something silly kerfluxed on my end, which is probably the case. Somewhere over the last month, the names of winners on my Created page stopped populating. The old ones are still there, but the new ones don't show up. Is this just me?

4 years ago

Not just you, I have the same problem for many months now.

4 years ago

This should be fixed with the latest version.

4 years ago

'Tis! Huzzah! And thank you for keeping me updated.

4 years ago

Looks like that here as well. Thanks.

4 years ago

Other users have reported this, but I was never able to reproduce it. I did push a possible fix for it a while ago (https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/938), which the users in that issue reported that worked, but there still appears to be an issue with multiple-copy giveaways (https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/1192).

4 years ago

Weird. This happened on both my home and work machines with identical timing and effects. Right away it occurs to me that they are both Win7 machines. Maybe I'll upgrade the office machine to Win10 and see if it changes - high time I did that anyway.

4 years ago

This should be fixed with the latest version.

4 years ago

Bug Report

When using the "Extract all giveaways (specify parameters)" button, it extracts backwards, not forwards.
Example: Cart 1266 and using this button extracts a list with 1266 at the top (as expected), and then 1265, 1264, 1263, etc etc etc (I imagine down to cart 0), but not 1267. As far as I know, this problem just recently started occurring.

Button settings:

Open Extractor
Y--Only extract from the current giveaway onward.
Y--Flush the cache if it is older than hours [I have noticed the problem when it was set to 1, 2, and 4 hours]
N--Ignore discussion comments when extracting giveaways.
N--Ignore giveaway comments when extracting giveaways.
4 years ago

The problem is that ESGST can't know which link is next and which is previous because they are only named cart ####.

4 years ago

This does the exact same thing; it goes backwards, despite thus cart being "previous/bump/next"

4 years ago

@gsrafael I can confirm that one with Firefox and 8.1.13.

4 years ago

It appears to be working fine for me. Are you on the latest version? Can you see what regex appears in your additional options here?

4 years ago

ESGST is up-to-date.

forw|more|next|onwards|►|>|→

4 years ago

Userscript version back? :o Guess I can update again then again after a long time.. :P Thanks for the ongoing support and efforts to make ESGST better, Rafael!

4 years ago

I'm on a fresh Chrome install and I can't get WL/BL to sync... "Saving your whitelist/blacklist (this may take a while)..." left it running for a few mins but nothing happens.

4 years ago

Any errors in the console? If your whitelist / blacklist is large, it can take more than a few minutes.

4 years ago

Umm console?

Left it running for a good 30 mins this time and still nothing...

4 years ago

Ctrl + Shift + J

4 years ago

Not sure what i'm looking for but there are a lot of these in red...

"Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 502 ()"

4 years ago

Strange... Got an update for Chrome and now it works again?

4 years ago

ESGST indirectly helped me verify that my new Steam group created in April wasn't sync'd/created in SG yet until cg fixed an issue this month. I just filed a bug on github related to that scenario and also put in an enhancement request that would help me review & export group user stats. I love ESGST and am grateful that it helps me with some aspects of group management!
EDIT: Just saw your Patreon page, so I'll pledge a bit there. Also renamed & updated my Github info to match my SG/Steam profile.

4 years ago*

Deleted

4 years ago

same issue

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

I've been using GA extractor on the huge community train (now over), and it had been working, but about 2 days ago it stopped working correctly. Now, when I try to extract the GAs from this page, it extracts over 1300 GAs and then at some point just hangs forever, never finishing. I see no errors in the console. I am wondering if others are having this same issue? If I press the "Cancel" button, it appears to see 1325 of the supposedly 1326 GAs.

4 years ago*

Someone reported that the extension completely stopped working for them after filtering that train (https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/1366). How many giveaways did the train have 4 days ago? It could be a case of the extension not being able to handle that much data. I wonder if it would work with disabling the cache, but there's no way for you to test that. I'll see if I can find some time to test it (takes sooo long :P).

4 years ago

Should be fixed in v8.3.14.

4 years ago

Where to find option to hide description?

4 years ago

There is a cache and you can use custom filters but you can no longer simply hide the description with ESGST. If that's not enough for you there's the a-esgst userscript

4 years ago

thanks

4 years ago

It seems that ESGST has become a Sisyphean task. New version released with lots of bugs fixed but only a few days later the bug tracker is back at over 40 open issues.

4 years ago

Well, to be fair most of the issues recently have been about feature requests (I mean, Tristar alone made about 20 of those xD).

4 years ago

I would like to use the library checker, but I need to enter steam api. I found my web api, but I am not familiar with this, is there any security issue by providing the steam api or is it like login into steamgifts with steam?

4 years ago*

The only security issue is if you share your API key with someone.

4 years ago

question: what info you can find in a Steam API key?

(thanks a ton, rafael)

4 years ago

It's mostly used for retrieving stats like owned games, playtimes, achievements, friends list, bans, etc (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Web_API), but it can also be used to retrieve your trading history and deny / cancel your trades (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Web_API/IEconService). Because of that, someone could use it to scam you (https://dmarket.com/blog/steam-api-key-scam/).

If you use your Steam API key on ESGST (or on any other place, for that matter), it's wise to re-generate it every once in a while, because there are a few vulnerabilities that I can think of:

• If you've installed a malicious extension that can watch your browser requests, it could intercept requests to the Steam API and retrieve your key.
  • ESGST stores your Steam API key in the userscript / extension storage, which is located in your computer, so if someone hacks your computer and they know what to look for, they could retrieve your key.
  • When you backup your ESGST data to the cloud services offered (Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive), your Steam API key is also backed up, so if someone hacks your cloud account and they know what to look for, they could retrieve your key.

But those vulnerabilities aren't specific to ESGST, so it's ultimately the user's responsibility to prevent them from happening.

4 years ago

aren't specific to ESGST, so it's ultimately the user's responsibility

true. but also very very fair :D

even more than expected, thanks again.
i do backup to Google (very -tad too much- google-centric, here) and frankly feeling safe, dealing with ESGST.

that said, TIL. i'll re-generate that multiple-years-old API key of mine 'cause ...why not :D

4 years ago

I've detailed more about what a Steam API key does in my response to icaio above. If you're concerned about security, make sure to re-generate your API key every once in a while.

4 years ago

Thanks a lot for the fast replies and addtional information :)

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

4 years ago

How do I disable bookmarks? Actually, I already disabled it, but they keep showing up.

4 years ago

You mean the button at the header?

4 years ago

4 years ago

That's no bookmark but the giveaway description popup and you can no longer disable it: https://www.steamgifts.com/go/comment/Udd5h8M

4 years ago

thanks <3

4 years ago

Heads Up Regarding Next Update: Avatar Popout, Giveaway Countries Loader, Giveaway Groups Loader

Avatar Popout, Giveaway Countries Loader and Giveaway Groups Loader will be removed and consolidated into a new feature called Content Loader in the next update (https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/1268). If you use any (or all) of the 3 features above, Content Loader will be automatically enabled for you and your settings will be carried over, so you shouldn't have to do anything to continue using the functionality of those features, but I just thought I should give a heads up, in case something goes wrong and your settings aren't carried over.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Still appears for me, can you check the console and your settings?

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

I mean if you checked the settings to make sure that those features are enabled (there was a bug that wasn't enabling the "Run it here" option for features).

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Two items (FF, up-to-date):

1) When I go to turn 2.27.3 on, it says ! This feature conflicts with 2.29.3 Highlight the giveaway.. While that feature is enabled, this feature cannot be enabled. However, 2.29.3 doesn't exist...
It still highlights wishlist gibs in the main page, but it no longer highlights the info bar on the giveaway's page.

2) When i go to a page with comments, if automatically jumps to the bottom of the page, which is very annoying. What setting do I change to not have it autojump to the bottom of a page?

3) Saving comments is again messed up for me. They spin forever and never "take". :(

As always, thank you very much for this script!

4 years ago

2 will be fixed in the next version, it's a result of https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/1262. Workaround: enable Reply Box On Top until the next version, so that it jumps only to below the OP, which should reduce the annoyance.

Please check the console log for 3. And do you block third-party cookies? Try with the block disabled.

4 years ago

Thank you very much for your responses! The comments seem to be working again; I do not know what happened to make them stop working.

The WL giveaway banner on the gift page is back.

All 3 items are fixed! Thank you again so much!

4 years ago

No need for the workaround, already added it as an option to v8.3.15.

4 years ago

My apologies for what is probably a very simple question...

How does 1 reply to the initial post in a thread when using ESGST?

For example to post some links for the Master Bundle thread that haven't been added yet.

I can reply to all comments as I'm doing to yours; however I don't see a reply option under the initial post?

Perhaps I have something mis-configured?
I'm using 8.3.17 of the extension version & I haven't changed my settings since I joined SG & immediately added the extension & spent the hours it took to configure it the way I wanted it. Though I don't believe I've ever seen a reply button on the first post.

Just to be clear I'm asking how to reply to the thread itself as opposed to replying to a comment already in the thread like I'm doing now.

Thanks to anyone who could clarify this for me! I'm guessing i'm just missing something obvious... :)

4 years ago

Isn't there a reply box at the end of the page for you?

4 years ago

Sorry for the time waste I already figured this one out. I should have deleted it. My reply box is in a different location due to my ESGST setup. It was a simple mistake on my part in not noticing how I set it up with endless scrolling IIRC. I don't recall 100%.

Thanks for the input though, 🙂
Have a nice day.

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.