Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Just noticed the camera icon on the left of the GA. Insane feature. Amazing job.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

3 years ago

Ah, my bad then. It's usually ESGST that does this kinds of things.

3 years ago

I remember that in ESGST there was an option, with which you could drag and drop those icons and other stuff around. I cannot seem to find it now though 😐

3 years ago

Element ordering but camera icon is not supported at the moment.

3 years ago

Oh, thank you again!

3 years ago

Hi, Fixed Main Page Heading without Fixed Header appears to be incorrectly positioned by the dark theme.

3 years ago

What monster wouldn't use fixed header 😲

3 years ago

My thoughts exactly.

3 years ago

The "Expand filters" row always stays fixed in place on screen no matter how much I scroll down. I'm trying to set it to just scroll off screen as I scroll down but I can't seem to find a setting for that anywhere. How can that be done?

Edit: Also a suggestion. Being able to save changes on the settings page without having to scroll all the way to the top (and lose where you are on the page because you had to scroll) would be pretty helpful for quickly testing settings changes.

3 years ago*

If I understood you correctly, you want Fixed Main Page Heading.

3 years ago

That's actually not the same thing. I want the "Expand filters" row to not be fixed in place. "Expand filters" is fixed in place for some reason and I can't find a way to make it not stuck in place. I don't want that row overlapping with giveaways I'm trying to see.

In other words, what I'm trying to avoid is what's happening in image 1. That happens even with Fixed Main Page Heading turned off. In fact, I have all of the Fixed options turned off.

Turning on Fixed Main Page Heading just makes it worse (image 2). Turning that back off again doesn't affect the "Expand filters" row, which is what I'm trying to have not fixed in place. Sorry if I wasn't clear somehow to start with.

View attached image.
View attached image.
3 years ago

Ok, I can reproduce it without the fixed option. Thanks for the additional info. Will look into it.

3 years ago

This should be fixed in v8.7.0. As for your suggestion, that's exactly what Fixed Main Page Heading is for. For example, it keeps the save button at the top of the window while you scroll in the settings menu, allowing you to save from anywhere.

3 years ago

Actually, Fixed Main Page Heading isn't doing anything on the ESGST settings page. Even if it's set to run everywhere, it's working on other pages, but not doing anything on the ESGST settings page. I guess that's why I didn't understand before why you mentioned that setting.

I tested out Fixed Header and Fixed Sidebar on the settings page just out of curiosity, and those are working right. It's just Fixed Main Page Heading that doesn't seem to be doing anything on the ESGST settings page.

If it helps I'm on Chrome using extension 8.6.1.

3 years ago*

Hello good sir,

in reference to ExtremussPrime's post here and marutan's here, could we get a feature to disable the new camera icon?

Thanks and hope you're doing well during these crazy times!

3 years ago

+1

3 years ago

If you just don't want the icon to be visible, you could use Element Filters with this rule: .giveaway__icon.fa.fa-fw.fa-camera

3 years ago

Ye I was thinking of doing it with uBO filters but I guess this works just as well. Thanks for the reply dude! :D

3 years ago

Hi, I can't find where I can make group names visible.
I had a feature like that before I had to reset my PC and can't find it anymore...

3 years ago*

3 years ago

I found the "users info" too !
Thanks a lot !!
whitelist + 1

3 years ago

The camera icon is on the right (in front of the name of a game) for some reason with the extension enabled. Is this intentional?

3 years ago

Will look into it, thanks for the report.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

The order should be fixed in v8.7.0. If it's not, you can fix it manually in the Element Ordering section of the settings menu.

3 years ago

I can confirm that it has been fixed. Thank you for your work!

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago*

edit: culprit is option 5.8 comment variables

You sure? I'm randomly experiencing this problem as of late, and I've never activated option 5.8 in ESGST.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

It's not Comment Variables, but I can reproduce it. Will fix for the next version.

3 years ago

Should be fixed in v8.7.0.

3 years ago

Looks like it, I haven't experienced any problem when posting comments since the update. Thanks! 👍

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago*

Heya Rafael, I was just wondering about something.

You know how whitelist blue hearts show up on all giveaways made with whitelist, regardless of you being on their whitelist?
Is there any simple way to detect whether or not you are on the whitelist or not? I say simple as in is there any data transmitted that would signify that and not require extra requests.

If yes, I think it'd be cool if we could make those blue hearts stick out with some CSS modifications so we can tell which gibs we are whitelisted for or not.

(Hope that makes sense. xD)

3 years ago

Only if you use Whitelist / Blacklist Checker to check if you're on their whitelist, as there's no information provided by SteamGifts that can tell us that. Using the data from that feature, it would be very easy to do CSS modifications. Unless you mean a way to do it without relying on such feature, in which case, it's not possible.

3 years ago

That sounds like it'd work actually!

Essentially just a "highlight/glow whitelisted giveaways" toggle -- not sure exactly what CSS flair to throw on it (I personally use SG Dark) but I have faith in your choices so far, so... :D

It'd also be cool if there was a toggle that did the check automatically on page load, scanning the page for usernames then the locally cached database of W/B users already made as to not increase SG server load and keep the brunt of the work on the users machine.

Either way I think it'd be a cool feature -- useful for certain people like me that want to see when someone has whitelisted me while I'm browsing and didn't know they'd whitelisted me so I can whitelist them back! xD

3 years ago

Are you already aware of this option? It highlights users that have whitelisted you based on the results of the feature.

But yeah, I could add another option to highlight the whitelist heart in giveaways.

3 years ago

Yeah but it doesn't stick out enough to me. What I would really like is if some glow was added to the giveaway game name so that it sticks out as I'm scrolling through the giveaway list. xD

3 years ago

To userscript users who have been having trouble installing / updating the script from the releases page, the files will now be served through https://rafaelgssa.github.io/esgst/userscript.meta.js and https://rafaelgssa.github.io/esgst/userscript.user.js, which should fix any issues.

3 years ago

Hello revilheart,

First off, thanks a lot for making and maintaining the extension, it's super helpful and I'm constantly discovering new things about it that make me appreciate it even more.

I've got three little questions :

1. Is there a way to deactivate the section with the next (featured?) giveaway (first big section between the header and the Giveaways section on the home page) which always takes up a lot of space to basically tell the same thing that the first giveaway does.

2. Same thing, but for the pinned giveaways (those with 50+ copies)

3. I've just installed the extension (Chrome) on my work computer (priorities, I know ^^). Is there a way to sync all my settings and data (entered giveaways, bookmarks, etc.) so that I may seamlessly go from one computer to the other anytime and not have to star the giveaways all again?

Thanks in advance :)

3 years ago

You're welcome!

For 1 and 2, use Element Filters. The description of the feature shows you what filters you have to use to hide the featured giveaway container and the pinned giveaways.

For 3, go to https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=backup on one computer and backup all of the data. Then go to https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=restore on the other computer and restore all of the data. You can backup to cloud services like Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive for easier syncing. Unfortunately there's no way to sync automatically at the moment, every time you modify your data in one computer you will have to backup and restore in the other. PS: You can also access backup / restore from the heading in the settings menu, as shown in the image below.

View attached image.
3 years ago

Thanks for the info, works like a charm :)
I didn't think to search in the descriptions, I kept trying to search 'Featured' 'Pinned' and so on in the option titles haha.

3 years ago

I'm using the PaleMoon, installed ESGST version is 8.7.0, but it stopped working today. No idea why, maybe after an update.
Anyone got a clue?

3 years ago*

There was an update today. Do you get any errors in the console?

3 years ago

No errors in the console, unfortunately.
My wife uses ESGST / PM combo as well, and sais it stopped working for her too. No errors either.
So maybe it's a Palemoon compatibility issue?

UPD: just tested it in latest FF 75, fresh install, same there, not working, no errors.

3 years ago*

I just tested on Pale Moon and found some errors, looking into them.

UPD: just tested it in latest FF 75, fresh install, same there, not working, no errors.

That is strange, I tested on a fresh FF 75 as well and it worked fine.

3 years ago

I get this on every page load, even though all checkboxes are set in permissions screen:

View attached image.
3 years ago

On Pale Moon?

3 years ago

Right, sorry, it's Firefox 75.

3 years ago

Can you test on v8.7.2?

3 years ago

Yes, now checkboxes are saving properly and it works. Thanks.

3 years ago

I can confirm. Firefox 75.0 as well.
Have it since the update to v8.7.0 yesterday, but I thought it would go away when restarting the browser. Not the case.

PS: I've been double-checking, and I'm not sure the permissions are being saved correctly. I've tried removing them all and saving, but when opening up the permissions tab/page again, all of them appear as checked.

3 years ago

Ok, can reproduce. Looking into it.

3 years ago

Can you test on v8.7.2?

3 years ago

Yep, working fine on my end. Thanks!

3 years ago

Should be fixed on Pale Moon.

3 years ago

Works now, thank you! You're the best!

3 years ago

Hey!
So i downloaded this thing but it wasnt an addon as i expected
instead it was a javascript and i dont know what to do
can you help me out pls ?

3 years ago

3 years ago

Is it a bait If I ran .json file ???

3 years ago

Sorry?

3 years ago

A new bug in v8.7.0, which happens with Endless Scrolling (2.8) on.

How to reproduce:

1. Scroll down the main GA page until page 2 is loaded
  2. Click on a GA from page 2 to open it in the same tab
  3. Go back one page with the browser

Expected result: You should go back to the main page, with 2 pages of GAs loaded

Obtained result: You get a SteamGifts "page not found" error page, probably because it tries to load the following URL (note the missing "/giveaways/" part): https://www.steamgifts.com//search?page=2

3 years ago

Ah, so this is what Tristar7 was talking about in #1553. I'll fix it for the next version, and I'll also add it as an option, since I can see you wanted it to go back to the first page, not the second one.

3 years ago

Not exactly. I wanted it to go back to both pages 1 & 2 already loaded one after the other, so to speak. At least I think this is how it worked before.

Anyhow, I wouldn't mind if it went back to page 2, but right now what you go back to is SG's 404 page, which should definitely not happen. :P

3 years ago

And this is fixed as well. Thanks again!

3 years ago

I added the addon but it seems kinda complicated.
Im trying to set it so i can join giveaways without being have to open a new page to join them.
Can you help me out pls ?

3 years ago

Yeah, it might be a bit overwhelming with all of the options. I'm working on a way to have a simplified version of the settings menu to make it look less scary. But for what you want, just enable Enter / Leave Giveaway Button.

3 years ago

Thanks!

3 years ago

if you do not have enough points when loading a page, the button to enter turns red.
If you enter something and at that moment you don't have enough points, the button turns red, when clicked.
If you later get points for both the first button turns green, but the second won't.

Nothing really bad, just something strange.

3 years ago

I have a question/problem.

I can't find giveaways tags, which was the crucial thing I want from this extension/script.
The problem is, it worked. But I clean installed Windows and now I don't have my old data. Didn't really thought it won't work when I install it again.

3 years ago

There's no such thing as giveaway tags, but there is Game Tags.

3 years ago

But there was. The icons near giveaways with e.g. heart that it's wishlisted or cog that Steam is checking the game. I used this thing and it was in ESGST setting. Now it's gone.

3 years ago

Oh, that's Game Categories.

3 years ago

Hmmm, maybe... but I can't see any options here. I can only turn it on/off, but there is no submenu with different kind of categories.

3 years ago

That's odd, I'll do some tests on a fresh install to see if I can reproduce it.

3 years ago

https://i.imgur.com/8JBxD1z.png

This should have submenu, right? Like 8.2.1 etc. With different kind of category.

3 years ago

try turning it on and saving then check if a + sign appears before the Game Categories option or the categories show up on the list of options

3 years ago

I turned the whole script off, then on. It worked. But it was weird...

3 years ago

Definitely, it's probably a bug. I'll look into it.

3 years ago

I fixed it by turning off and on the whole userscript. I was confused that this is not the option I want, because it had no setting icons options etc. Thanks for Your help!

3 years ago

enabled the simplified version for the categories that you want to see icons instead of text.

3 years ago

Yeah, I knew that. This is amazing option.

3 years ago

your browser version and if it's the script or extension might help revilheart find the issue faster

on a side note, try disabling the option to run on ST and on SGT. (as i have those disabled and Game Categories works for me)

edit: also check the permissions

3 years ago

I fixed it with turning the script off and on, which just magically worked.

3 years ago

there might be a bug that caused that to happen, so the information could help revilheart make sure that it doesn't happen anymore.

(and I personally would recommend to use the extension instead of the script)

3 years ago

I would use extension if it let me allow the permissions. I was stuck with it even after reinstalling. So I changed to userscript.
I use Opera with addon that let download Chrome addons. But it worked in the past with extensions. Tbh, I even listed ESGST in my extension list to download after fresh install of Windows.

Opera is actually the first thing I installed, then it was one of the first thing I did, to try that addon. Couldn't grant permissions, so I used script... and the rest is what I wrote there. Funny thing is, that I believe, addon version didn't have the suboptions for game categories too.

3 years ago

check if the latest version works on opera, revilheart fixed some bugs related to permissions in the latest versions. you can export your data using the userscript and import it on the extension so that you don't loose any data. (just don't run the extension and the userscript at the same time 😅)

and categories need permission for steampowered.com and/or rafaelgssa.com, so make sure to have those enabled.

3 years ago

Okay, I will try.
But how exactly can I export my setting? By Backup Data and checking Settings? Or with Download Settings? And if that's the second option that will do it, what I do with the file?

3 years ago

go to Backup, select ALL and backup to computer or to one of the cloud services. then on the addon or any other install where you want to import your data go to Restore also select ALL and restore from the place where you saved the backup.

3 years ago

I think that actually works now. And restoration is also completed. Everything seems fine.
Thanks so much!

Also why would You recommend extension over userscript? Are addons more stable/reliable or something?

3 years ago

the extension is usually somewhat more stable and way faster for me, but i haven't used the userscript for some time.

3 years ago

Okay, got it.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Or maybe user tags? I tag users when they win my giveaways, or I win theirs.

3 years ago

Can you help me about the setting that shows if the game has collection cards or not? I cant seem to find it.

3 years ago

Games > Cards

3 years ago

3 years ago

I toggled it on, buut i still cant see the cards.
Can you share your own settings as a screenshot pls ?

3 years ago

If you toggled it on and saved the settings (there's a "Save Changes" button at the top), you should see them. I'll look into it, maybe it's a bug.

3 years ago

I've been waiting for a few hours, but i still cant see if the game has colleciton cards or not.
Can you help me out ? Maybe its bugged ?

3 years ago

I'm still looking into it, I'll let you know when I discover the issue.

3 years ago

Thanks. İ'm waiting you ♥

3 years ago

As a workaround, or if you really only need the card information, there's a small script called Steam Web Integration which will give you icons for owned, wishlisted, trading cards, and some other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Examples below. Can, probably, be configured to be less of an eyesore if one cares about those kinds of things.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
3 years ago*

Update to v8.7.2 and try it again.

3 years ago

No.. I don't see trading card. Pff.

3 years ago

Are you using the extension or the userscript?

3 years ago

I'm using extension.

3 years ago

Give permission in the settings menu to either steampowered.com or rafaelgssa.com, or both for better results.

3 years ago

All settings are on. I'dont understand..

3 years ago

Help me please. I don't see trading card.

3 years ago

I made a GIF showing the whole process. See if that's exactly what you did:

View attached image.
3 years ago

Thank you very much! You are best !

3 years ago

enabling those two options and saving the change should have made them appear the next time you loaded a page with giveaways, but it may take some time for ESGST to fetch the data the first time it tries to load it for each game.

If it's still not showing up check if there is any error on the console.

3 years ago

I think giveaway extractor and giveaway filter broke. I have 8.7.1
I also tried to bookmark a giveaway and when it extracts I get this in console

[ESGST] Giveaway Bookmarks failed to load: esgst.js:1:187713
[ESGST] e(...).queryBuilder is not a function esgst.js:1:187894
value moz-extension://5431882d-5ff7-418c-b24f-119311a7b7e6/esgst.js:1
e moz-extension://5431882d-5ff7-418c-b24f-119311a7b7e6/esgst.js:1
c moz-extension://5431882d-5ff7-418c-b24f-119311a7b7e6/esgst.js:32
_invoke moz-extension://5431882d-5ff7-418c-b24f-119311a7b7e6/esgst.js:32
t moz-extension://5431882d-5ff7-418c-b24f-119311a7b7e6/esgst.js:32
n moz-extension://5431882d-5ff7-418c-b24f-119311a7b7e6/esgst.js:1
o moz-extension://5431882d-5ff7-418c-b24f-119311a7b7e6/esgst.js:1

About the filter, its still there, but the disable button is missing and the button to change filter preset is also gone.

3 years ago

The filters bug is already known and will be fixed in the next version: https://github.com/rafaelgssa/esgst/issues/1581 I'll have to look into Giveaway Extractor and Giveaway Bookmarks.

3 years ago

I toggled the Enter/Leave giveaway button on.
But it pops up an explanation of the giveaway sometimes when i join. Its kinda annoying can i close it ?

3 years ago

No. The description popup is not optional. You can, however, make it appear less often or not appear for specific descriptions with "Cache repeated descriptions from the same creator for 1 hour and only show them once." and "Filter descriptions.". The popup also has a "Add Description To Filters" button that you can use to prevent that description from appearing again.

3 years ago

Hello, everyone. In an effort to make ESGST appear less complex, a new basic mode will be added to the settings menu containing common combos of features that users will be able to enable with a single click, making the process of enabling features for new users (or even for long-time users) much simpler. If anyone has combo suggestions, feel free to drop them either here or in the GitHub issue: https://github.com/rafaelgssa/esgst/issues/1583 Thanks!

3 years ago*

Grid view + one click entry is great combo when someone has low giveaway count, so much easier to see it through

Fixed header, sidebar, narrow sidebar and header refresher seems like a good combination for the forum UI, and Reply Mention Link + Reply from Inbox also very useful. I feel like these, or some of these would be best for some kind of quality of life-pack for the forums, they all enhance readibility and navigation.

Giveaway Error Search Links is just something I would like to be default, ridiculous that blacklists or not-a-member groups only show the name that we already see in the URL bar, and a link to the not usable giveaway itself :D

3 years ago

Ok, i got problems, when im on giveaway list, some lines are blank. For example you have line with name, level, points, ENTER button, and some are blank and i dont know if there is a giveaway blanked or its just a empty place

3 years ago

3 years ago

now i have 20 of those blank rows xD

3 years ago

The problems I mentioned are gone now 👍

Found a different bug. On my profile page, clicking the bars next to Gifts Won and Gifts Sent does nothing. So apparently you can't check those on your own logged in profile. They do still work on everyone's profile but your own. I'm assuming it's a bug because they used to work on my profile page last time I tried.

Fixed Main Page Heading still seems a little bugged if you don't also have Fixed Header on at the same time.

Pictures are probably easiest to understand. The first image shows how things are before scrolling.

The second show how things are after scrolling down with both Fixed Main Page Heading and Fixed Header on at the same time. Notice how the row with "ESGST > Settings" moved up as much as it could.

The third shows how it is with only Fixed Main Page Heading on. It looks like a bug that the gap is there. Even if it's actually not a bug it would still be nice if that gap could go away when you scroll down, because it gets in the way of what you're trying to read the way it is now.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
3 years ago

The style has not been updated yet to work without fixed header. When it is updated it will be on github but that is not available within esgst at the moment.

3 years ago

Ah, that explains it. It never occurred to me that the style could be the cause because I'm using it through esgst. I'm guessing that will get updated through esgst eventually though.

Also, thanks for making such a great style 🙂

3 years ago

I have trouble with syncing "Owned/Wishlisted/Ignored Games".
Everything else seems to sync without problems.
Sometimes it syncs, but mostly does not.
it says "Owned/wishlisted/ignored games synced.
Unable to sync through the Steam store. Check if you are logged in to Steam on your current browser session. If you are, try again later. Some games may not be available through the Steam API (if you have a Steam API key set)."
It does not seem to use the API (Which I have set) at all.
My best guess is that the Firefox container thing is the problem.
I gave ESGST the permission to use the cookies but the "Allow ESGST to read your cookies and modify request headers when using Firefox containers or when blocking third-party cookies." does not save.
it just says "Saving..." forever when I toggle that on.

Hope you can help me, thanks :)

3 years ago

Are there any errors in the console?

To double-check if it's related to cookies, you can try disabling cookie restrictions for SteamGifts and seeing if it syncs.

3 years ago

When I am trying to sync it says.

"Synced!
Owned/wishlisted/ignored games synced.
Unable to sync through the Steam store. Check if you are logged in to Steam on your current browser session. If you are, try again later. Some games may not be available through the Steam API (if you have a Steam API key set).
Added apps:Dropsy,The Dwarves"

Owned and wishlisted seems to work, but not a single ignored game.
When I turn off the cookie restrictions for SG and Steam there is no change.
When I set Firefox to "standart" cookie protection it does work.

Because of that I tried to set the "Allow ESGST to read your cookies and modify request headers when using Firefox containers or when blocking third-party cookies."
But it does not let me activate it.

3 years ago

Hello,
i found a weird bug with the new "camera" feature.

when im inside my bookmarks and click on any camera...

1. the content (pictures/videos) wont appear
  2. the scroll bar disappears
    which leads to me not being able to scroll through the page, mouse wheel doesnt work anymore then.
    everything else seems to work fine including the "move to top" and "move to bottom" buttons (enabled them on ESGST).
    refreshing solves the scroll problem.

Havent noticed much more than this
Bye.

3 years ago

Thanks for the report, I'll look into it.

3 years ago

btw... i just noticed the same thing hapaning when using the giveaway extractor
FYI

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Will look into it.

3 years ago