Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Hi,
I wonder if the help description text is correct because it is quite confusing. You wrote there about a "simple list check" but there is not a simple list check opinion. There are just Full Check and Full List Check.

View attached image.
7 years ago

Hehe, ok. You have to switch yourself from programmer mode to text writer mode. :)

~It is a theory by a programmer called David Grudl. He says that while you are programming, you are not able to write good understandable texts for users such as description, error codes and so on. If you do it, the text will not be very good. So you should first program and then write texts.

I think it is true.~

7 years ago*

sorry, no i said that off description only. no idea what's causing that.

7 years ago

do=comment_new&xsrf_token=super1337&trade_code=&parent_id=doesnotmatter&description=test "https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/TDyzv/userscript-rhsgst-v33-better-replies-is-back/search?page=9"
7 years ago

still fails with that part removed.

Windows:

do=comment_new&xsrf_token=REDACTED&parent_id=48771230&description=test https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/TDyzv/userscript-rhsgst-v35-new-feature-avatar-popout/search?page=11 Function {readyState: 4, responseHeaders: "Pragma: no-cache
↵Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:52:56 …p-alive
↵Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
↵", finalUrl: "https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/TDyzv/usersc…sgst-v35-new-feature-avatar-popout/search?page=11", status: 200, statusText: "OK"}

1981 expire??

Linux:

do=comment_new&xsrf_token=REDACTED&trade_code=&parent_id=&description=Key%20Drop%0A%0AGame%20%7C%20Key%20%7C%20%3F%3F%20%3D%20%0A%3A-%20%7C%20%3A-%20%7C%20%3A-%0A**%5BVapour%5D(http%3A%2F%2Fstore.steampowered.com%2Fapp%2F345440%2F)**%20%7C%20QEDF%3F-EFBMA-5%3FGIR%20%7C%201234567x90 https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/GldJf/orphan-keys-drop-thread/search?page=71 Function {readyState: 4, responseHeaders: "Pragma: no-cache
↵Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 13:16:49 …h: 4982
↵Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
↵", finalUrl: "https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/GldJf/orphan-keys-drop-thread/search?page=71#P4zjtfd", status: 200, statusText: "OK"}

i'm not seeing a difference, but posted both in case you do. Linux posts & Windows just doesn't.

7 years ago*

Hello,
it would be good if you update the description of this script on Addons registry.

7 years ago

OK as I can see he already wrote you. Well, I think it would be good to keep also some info in this topic. I see that you don't want to write all stuff twice, but it is not good when this topic is empty and people who don't know the script cannot see at least te basic info here. I suggest you to write here at least a simple list (without much description, images, and so on - it would be better than nothing).

7 years ago

I don't like having 2 places to edit stuff, that's the whole reason why I moved the descriptions to GitHub. I could just list the features here without any description if that helps.

7 years ago

I'll think about a filter. I thought about adding an Enter button, but this is quite controversial because of descriptions. Maybe I'll add it and make it so that when you click on Enter it retrieves the giveaway and shows you the description.

7 years ago

(Almost) No one read descriptions and those who want to read them, they could use a button that show it in a pop up for them. Like in ESG. :)

View attached image.
View attached image.
7 years ago

2017-02-22 v4.3

• Added Enter Giveaway Button.

Enter Giveaway Button

steamgifts.com/giveaways/*

• Allows you to enter / leave a giveaway and read its description directly from the giveaways pages.
View attached image.
7 years ago

2017-02-22 v4.3.1

• Fixed a bug that wasn't showing descriptions in Enter Giveaway Button.
7 years ago

It also allows you to enter without reading, which I think is undesirable. I would suggest (actually, already have) to enable the button only for giveaways without giveaway description.

7 years ago

Nope. People who don't read descriptions won't read anyway. If they want to they can just click the button to pop up the description.

7 years ago

This increases the chance that people who would otherwise be forced to see (and therefore potentially read) the description, will now have an easy route to bypass this possibility.

7 years ago

i personally disable this feature regardless which way it goes , so don't care either way. but as a compromise what about making it more like the avatar popout.

click the join button and it automatically pops out a shrunken version of the comment in that avatar style type of popout that can just be clicked right out of if they want to ignore the description/comment.

7 years ago

Well, descriptions aren't a requirement to entering giveaways anyway. If someone misses a request from the creator to do something and ends up blacklisted it's their own fault. The only thing I could do is make the description pop up after entering the giveaway, and even then I would have to make it an optional functionality because some people might be annoyed by that.

7 years ago

I suggested something similar above: enter the giveaway and the description pops up. But it would have to be optional.

7 years ago

I don't know man. I think that having an option to enter giveaways without reading descriptions is beyond controversial, and I'm pretty sure that if you created a thread asking for people's opinion about this you'd see many similar views.

7 years ago

The problem here is that offering an option that by default would encourage people to not see (let alone read) giveaway descriptions is not a good thing to say the least.

Automatically joining giveaways is not against the rules either, so you're going to add this next?

7 years ago

If this popup appears only for GAs where there actually is a description, they probably won't even bother changing it.

7 years ago

i think he intends on just adding a popout as the default option, probably whether there is a description or not (unsure here). it would likely be something like the manage & avatar popouts where it can be just clicked right out of, so i doubt many would even bother disabling the popout to not read descriptions. but for those that pay attention and realize they can disable it, they'll have that option (instead of being the default).

7 years ago

Well, I guess that's better than the current solution. I'll just keep it disabled though. The only scenario where I'd be interested to see such a button is if the giveaway has no description. Then there's really no point to open it.

7 years ago

It being a good / bad thing is relative. Some people don't care about descriptions. I personally ignore a lot of those if the giveaway is public. Being forced to do something you don't have to is what's not a good thing.

Automatically joining giveaways is different, there's no manual process involved in that. Here you're clicking a button the same way you would in the giveaway page. No difference at all.

7 years ago

2017-02-22 v4.3.2

• Enter Giveaway Button now displays the giveaway description upon entering by default. You can disable this option through the settings menu.
7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.