Heya!

Been promoting my Steam group on SG via giveaways for quite some time now and I think it's high time for me to create a proper SG page for the group :)

P/S: If this thread looks familiar... well, you're not crazy and it's not deja vu! I actually had to remake the thread - sorry! :P

Why should you join? ... because of the giveaways of course!

Granted that I'm earning nowhere near a six-figure income so I can only give whatever I can, there's still a couple of great GAs from time to time, especially when the group reached a milestone that I think is worth celebrating :)

✅ Join: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/themidcoregamer/

Follow and subscribe if you'd like to check out or have a first sneak peek of upcoming or recently released indie games!

✅ Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMidcoreGamer?sub_confirmation=1
✅ Follow: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/33780629-The-Midcore-Gamer/

Other stuff :)

✅ Follow x2: https://www.twitch.tv/themidcoregamer/ (mostly triple A stuff here)
☑️ Like: https://www.facebook.com/themidcoregamer/
☑️ Tweet? https://twitter.com/TheMidcoreGamer

Whether you subscribed/followed or you simply drop by and check out my content, I appreciate the support!

If you want to contribute to the group, feel free to go ahead as well.. I won't mind at all :) Thanks for the contribution!

FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer#Dedication_spectrum
Plus a study: https://quanticfoundry.com/2018/08/01/casual-hardcore/

Enjoy this old meme :P

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

In Buzzfeed-esque fashion, which type of gamer are you?

View Results
Casual... but definitely not the filthy sort!
Midcore/Core
Hardcore
I don't know... potato?

At first I read mediocre instead of midcore, the former describes me better but I guess the later will have to do.

5 years ago

Hehe, I think mediocre gamers are generally midcore gamers too though - proud mediocre gamer here :P

5 years ago

Single player only gamer :p

5 years ago

Used to be that... until I discovered MMORPGs, and subsequently, all the other MMOs :P

5 years ago

I did the opposite way, after a 3-4 year addiction to Ragnarok Online I quit MMOs alltogether and swore to never look back...

5 years ago

RO? I guess I discovered the game a tad bit later - an ex-RO2 player of around 2 years here :)

5 years ago

Never tried RO2, I still have nightmares of the grindfest that RO1 was, hours spent farming cards with 0.01% drop rate, pure insaninty ^^;

5 years ago

Ahaha, yeah card-farming was a huge pain in the butt! Luckily I was (occasionally) playing with a friend so at least it wasn't too boring.

Wow, this conversation is bringing back so much memories ^^ Thanks for the dose of nostalgia!

5 years ago

im a fortnite gamer

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

5 years ago

These are some blacklist worthy words there young man!

5 years ago

You'd be right there xD

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 month ago.

1 month ago

Haven't you misplaced the "but definitely not the filthy sort" part in the wrong extreme? ;)

5 years ago

Heh, maybe ;)

5 years ago

Definitely hardcore. Gaming goes before anything else and if theres no competition, where's the point? (That would be my view.)

5 years ago

Games can also be a powerful storytelling tool - To each their own I guess! :)

5 years ago

I'm hardcore about casual games and casual about hardcore games, so I voted filthy potato.

5 years ago

You're a rare breed! :P

5 years ago

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

I'm a single player offline type, with scarce proficiency and scarce free time, so I choose casual.

5 years ago

Good choice! :)

5 years ago

I'm a non-gaming gamer. The type who just sits on a library of unplayed games and ends up playing the occasional hidden object game on Android, or an occasional co-op game with my son.

5 years ago

Oh, I play HOGs on my phone too! Which game are you playing? I'm currently obsessed over Hidden Hotel :)

5 years ago

I'm tempted to say hardcore because I play so much but at the same time, I don't feel like I commit myself to any game long enough to really be "hardcore" with it. And I mostly play single player games.

5 years ago

Same, I thought I was "hardcore" until I actually met a real hardcore gamer and realized I might not exactly be -that- hardcore after all.

5 years ago

Hardcore/Mid-core/Casual.
For me it's a cycle. Currently somewhere between mediocre and casual.

5 years ago

A cycle's good - you'll get to play a much wider variety of games that way :)

5 years ago

I have voted potato because I have no idea how can one classify something like that. I also think "hardcore gamer" is hilarious and cringey.

Gamers rise up!

5 years ago

I think the classification came about because of the gaming industry (not so much the community). The developers and publishers need to group gamers into categories just so they can easily target their games to a generalized group of gamers :P

(Might be a bit off-topic here) If you're interested, there's a study on gamer motivation, which is pretty similar to gamer dedication I guess, that you may find interesting. It mentions about how different "hardcore" means to male and female gamers.

5 years ago

That's quite interesting.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

The gamer dedication spectrum applies to single player-only gamers too! :)

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Opps, missed your message for some reason >.<

Those are some insane stats though! :D

5 years ago

Well, most people would probably consider me a casual gamer, so i answered that. But that is because no matter how good you are at a game, most people would call you a casual anyway.

5 years ago

Well, according to the wikipedia page, the categories refer mainly to your dedication to games. It's not so much related to how good you are in certain games :P

5 years ago

I play mostly everything except it either doesnt want to start or its a bug fest!
Also i absolutly hate EAs and Ubisofts copy & paste games just because they made things you would call Games bevore but what they make now is just pathetic! For clearance I also am interessted and can programm Games myself wich is why i can see what they mostly did with the next Fifa Battlefield or Assassins Copy most of the times in the way of programming nothing in the way of grafic maybe some new textures and thats it!
for something like that to sqeeze out 60€ out of anybody, it is like saying here i made a false 60€ give me 60€ for that!
I really love games and yeah thats probably why i am so pationate about this also i want to let people know what they are really buying mostly nothing at all, than a copy of what they already got!
Singleplayer and Multiplayer but i hate pvp games i rather got a great coop game with some friends and enjoy it than having someone shout in my ear because she/he is bad or they just got shoot...

sorry for spelling errors or getting something wrong my teacher gave me always a 5(E) or 6(F) in english but still greetings from germany!
oh and if someone likes to correct me please do so! I can only learn from it!

5 years ago

Hmm, in some way, I guess that makes sense. Since the games resonated so well with players, it would be logical for the game companies to stick to the formula that they know works. Just look at the latest Far Cry - the blatant "copy and paste" couldn't be more obvious!

Still, people will buy and play the game - me included :P (just waiting for the price to drop a bit)

P/S: Your English is good enough to understand - don't worry! :)

5 years ago

Hardcore singleplayer

5 years ago

Bumped because of a new giveaway event - check out the deeds under Events!

Edit: Event ended :)

5 years ago*

Bumping because we've just hit a mid-milestone :P

5 years ago

I hardly play any mp game lately, and when I play SP I usually pick the "easy' way.
Casual it is.

5 years ago

I do that pretty often too but once I realized that the game's a bit too easy for my taste (which do happen occasionally), I'll then up the difficulty to Normal or at the very most, Hard :P

5 years ago

Used to be rather hardcore but since i am getting a bit old my reactions and suchs has gone down. So medicore now? :) I still try to do it like a pro but even some random 12year old can outgun me in FPS and i won't even mention RTS.

Edit: For single player i allways play the hardest difficulty unless it has perma death or something like that.

5 years ago

Honestly, I'd say you're still pretty hardcore :) Being good at the game does count a bit when deciding whether you're a hardcore, a midcore or a casual, but ultimately, it's all about your dedication and/or motivation.

5 years ago

casual gamer =P (as many already wrote, it's related to my age! I was way more hardcore back then =P) thanks!

5 years ago

Honestly, I think many gamers go through this sort of phrase. I was pretty hardcore myself back then, but not so much now - hence, the "midcore" label :)

5 years ago

yeah, I think so!
back in my teens I used to play lots of games, and MMORPGs too! I was literally every day on ultima online and, later, world of warcraft, doing extremely long quests with dozens of other guys all connected with microphones and such.. and I also played a lot of arcade games, SNES games or console in general..
I think the same, many of us have passed these phases =P i'm older now, i was born in the '80s so with my family duties, my parents, my job and so on I really can't even imagine to spend my nights on a MMORPG or to play the same console game for three months continuously xD
Well I like the "midcore" category too, I'm starting to think that "casual" is something that can't be applied to those of us who spent so many years playing and got "expert" =P

5 years ago

Well I like the "midcore" category too, I'm starting to think that "casual" is something that can't be applied to those of us who spent so many years playing and got "expert" =P

I think so too :) Regardless of how much time we can commit to playing games now, we still have lots of experience and that can actually help lower the skill ceiling quite a bit in genres that we're already very familiar with.

Well, I really hope I'll end up like the Skyrim grandma when I retire one day :P Still a looonngg way to go though!

5 years ago

Go hard or go home. Since I'm already home, all that's left is for me to go hard.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Hah, nice one!

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Hehe, I don't know... I still find it pretty lowkey funny though :)

View attached image.
5 years ago

Midcore single player, specially older games.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Midcore, games have changed over the years as have I...still prefer the early and golden era of games.
Into Singleplayer and Co-op games over everything else. Mostly FPS and Racing, some Adventure
Sadly my RTS and TBS love has dwindled...need that spark.

5 years ago

Sadly my RTS and TBS love has dwindled...need that spark.

You haven't found the right game yet :) Have you tried Northgard? I've heard that it's a great RTS.

For TBS, I'd recommend Element: Space (<-Linked to a playlist with several gameplay vids), especially if you're into sci-fi games with a pretty great story. The game can be glitchy at times (camera glitches, mostly), but overall the game is fun and can be quite challenging too :) You can get it really cheap at Indiegala right now if you're interested!

5 years ago

Thanks, have Northgard and hopefully will try Element: Space soon....just don't have that much time anymore. I spent countless hours on Civilization, AOE 1 & 2, Commandos...good times...Sigh.

5 years ago*

Hehe, that's fine. RL>Games after all :)

AOE is one of my favorite RTS franchises ever - I've spent a good amount of my childhood playing that game :)

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.