Australian Grand Prix

How it works

Predicting the winner would be much too easy in a field of twenty where only six drivers (if that) will likely contest most wins. To make things more interesting you will have to predict the top three finishers in the correct order and do so before the start of the qualifying session on Saturday.

Race Preview

A statement issued jointly by F1, governing body the FIA and the Australian Grand Prix Corporation read: "Following the confirmation that a member of the McLaren Racing Team has tested positive for COVID-19 and the team’s decision to withdraw from the Australian Grand Prix, Formula 1 and the FIA convened a meeting of the other nine team principals on Thursday evening. Those discussions concluded with a majority view of the teams that the race should not go ahead.

Well, there's only one thing to talk about at the start of this new season: Corona. BREAKING: it's just been classified as a pandemic.

It sure is understandable why many people think it's a bad idea to put people from all around the world into the small space that is Albert Park (four F1 team people have just been put into quarantine). But the city of Melbourne is to lose millions if the race doesn't go through. Ticket sales are reportedly slow, normally the race would be long sold out by now.

Add to this the postponement of the China Grand Prix with the announcement of the same for Viet Nam being right around the corner. It's going to be an interesting season...

Oh, the race? Your guess is as good as mine. Bottas won last year.

Leave your predictions below; you can use this template:

1. xxxx
2. xxxx
3. xxxx

Sites
Official Site
Wikipedia

Giveaway

Steam Giveaway
Sparkle ZERO https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/0CE9a/
Gun Rocket https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/jM9px/

Result

TBD

View attached image.
View attached image.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I just want to see Haas and Magnussen do well; I don't even care about Mercedes/Ferrari anymore...

4 years ago

Mercedes looked very strong in testing, actually more so than the past few seasons IMO. Gotta go with Bottas on this one, he won it last year and was very quick during the past few weeks :) Will we see more than 3 teams fight for the podium this year?

1. Bottas
  2. Hamilton
  3. Verstappen
4 years ago

Let us be boring...

1. Hamilton
  2. Bottas
  3. Verstappen
4 years ago

1. Hamilton
  2. Verstappen
  3. Bottas
4 years ago

1. Bottas
  2. Verstappen
  3. Hamilton
4 years ago

The Mercedes 1-2 seems very likely. I think Ferrari will struggle, so Verstappen looks like a good choice for 3rd place.

1. Hamilton
  2. Bottas
  3. Verstappen
4 years ago

McLaren have withdrawn from the Australian GP after one of their staff members has tested positive for COVID-19. The team are going into quarantine.

BBC is reporting that the race will be cancelled.

4 years ago

Still nothing official but that's the only reasonable thing to do. They should never have tried to race this weekend.

"Cash is king," as Hamilton said. I hope he was serious when he said that the drivers would rise up and block any racing if the situation got worse. Verstappen said it should be cancelled the moment a team pulled back.

It's all a real shame as 2020 looked to be a very interesting season where things might finally change.

4 years ago

I think it's better to cancel than to have something like Indianapolis. You don't want to punish a team for being cautious about their employees' safety. Feel terrible for everyone who has worked so hard preparing for the season, and all of the workers at the track, travel agents, fans who have traveled etc.

Seems the whole sporting world is basically going to be shut down for a few months, until this all hopefully settles down. Traveling all over the world and assembling in large groups is exactly the opposite of what's being recommended.

4 years ago

its getting cancelled with literally everything and everyone ready to go, shame... what a waste.

4 years ago

Verstappen
Bottas
Hamilton

4 years ago

4 years ago

I was about to post that. They took way too long...

4 years ago

Whelp, Bahrain and Viet Nam have been cancelled (cause I can't see how postponing would even work) now as well...

The Bahrain and Vietnam Grands Prix have been postponed due to the continued global spread of coronavirus. The races had been set for March 20-22 at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, and April 3-5 at the recently completed Hanoi Circuit.
4 years ago

4 years ago

lol, this might backfire real bad.

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.