https://macaudailytimes.com.mo/macau-fia-f3-brutal-accident-at-lisboa-end-suspended-the-race.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbYodUpsMo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3D2zjtV7O4

16:35 – TDM TV commentators said that the young driver is safe.
16:50 – The race will be resumed in 2 minutes.
17:20 – Five people were injured in the brutal accident, FIA and GCS said in communiqués. Two pilots, two photographers and one marshal. According to GCS, they were all conscious on the way to hospital.

*Local time

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Wow. That was quite a flight the car took. I hope nobody was seriously injured, that one could have been a recipe for tragedy.

5 years ago

5 years ago

And curse words in local language spoken by audiences next to the camera.

5 years ago

Looks even more brutal from this angle.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

You do know that someone was IN that car, right? And that some people nearly got hit by the car?
I guess it's alright to label crashes like this "horror" - everyone walking away uninjured from such a crash can call himself lucky

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago*

That is a scaffolded camera booth for reporters and photographers .Also there are workers of the event who wear orange uniforms standing next to the booth. That isn't a worthless object, the booth and the fence greatly reduced the impact damage of the car and the driver.

5 years ago*

17:20 – Five people were injured in the brutal accident, FIA and GCS said in communiqués. Two pilots, two photographers and one marshal. According to GCS, they were all conscious on the way to hospital.

Quote from the first link you posted.
I guess they all got very lucky. If you watch the video in normal speed it's really surprising that there's no one dead.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago*

I'm surprised it wasn't worse. She was going pretty fast and it looks like she hit the metal support right on her helmet. Maybe it's because it wasn't really a barrier and it moved a lot when she hit it which helped cushion the blow. You can see how much it moved in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrEoEAodXvI

Edit: Oh, I just saw back pain listed when I first looked, I missed the part about the spinal fracture.

5 years ago*

That is a scaffolded camera booth for reporters and photographers

5 years ago

There was a post-crash image that confirmed the roll-hoop structure survived the impact, so it has protected her head from direct contact.

5 years ago

It looked like the hoop may have went between two of the pieces of metal on the structure and her head hit. The hoop is thin and her helmet sticks out above the pieces on the sides of her head. You can see the damage to the parts that are right around her head and lower than her helmet and the hoop doesn't look damaged. I'm not sure though, I didn't look for other pictures.

Edit: I just realized the report says spinal fracture. I just saw back pain and missed that the first time I looked at it.

View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago*

However, if you look closely, one guy tried to get protection from the right metal pole into which the car crahed. A split second after impact, that guy gets projected under the structure (pole probably hit his head) and the wreck falls on his legs. That speed though!

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

The driver of the car, 17 year old Sophia Florsch from Münich germany, is okay and awake. She's going in for surgery tomorrow for her fractured spine but she's not paralyzed or anything.

View from behind the building she struck

If you run it in slow motion you'll notice one guy was less than an arms length from where the car hit the building, and was thrown quite some distance. The three crew members/media people hurt are in far more serious condition than the drivers, and it was just luck that it wasn't worse or more people injured.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.