Giro d'Italia 2018

Also running: Spanish Grand Prix 2018

Here we are again; with Tom winning last year, how can I not do another event? :)

How it works

Predict who is going to win each stage of the Giro.

• Leave your predictions on the giveaway for that stage (they all include maps and profiles and a link to the official site).
  • Do not edit your predictions if you want to change it; delete the old one and create a new one.
  • Below is a table with all stages but you can go the first one and use the "next stage" link on there to go through all of them.
  • We're not going to make it too easy so anyone who just spams the same rider for all stages will be disqualified.

Preview

This event is a little more limited than the Tour de France event; no Tour Touristique and the preview is just a direct copy/paste from the official site. I did add some suggestions, more to follow.

Sites
Official Site
Wikipedia (This page could do with a lot more stats.)

Favorites
Here's a quick listing of a few riders for the general qualification victory.

• Gotta start with Chris Froome though not necessarily cause he is the top favorite... It is rumoured he was paid around 1.5 million Euros to start in the Giro this year but now there's the salbutamol case that is hanging over his head. If found guilty he might be stripped of any victories since that test and that would make riding the Giro pointless. There's a very small chance the verdict will come down before the end of the Giro but personally I don't see that happening. Another interesting possibility is that Froome might give up on the Giro at some point when he figures a Tour de France victory this year might be in danger (assuming he values those more than Giro victories; he has zero Giro victories right now, but should he win he'll have a three in a row grand tour victories). Should he quit the Giro it's going to be really interesting to see what all the other Tour de France favorites in the Giro will do; will they quit as well to be just as prepared as Froome?
  • Tom Dumoulin won last year and this year there will be a lot more pressure on him and his team. I'm hoping for a repeat performance! There are lot fewer time trial kilometres this year so it's not going to be easy. The good news is that he reportedly has his "toilet stops" under control.
  • All Italian hope will be on Fabio Aru now that Vincenzo Nibali isn't here.
  • French hopeful Thibaut Pinot was fourth last year.
  • Esteban Chaves (Mitchelton-Scott) and Miguel Ángel López (Astana) are both light climbers that are very well suited for the stages we have in the Giro this year. Their time trials leave a lot to be desired though so they will have to attack hard in the mountains; fortunately that's exactly what they love to do. Chaves will have Simon Yates to help him, or will Simon secretly be the one going for the title?
  • Kiwi George Bennett is the man for LottoNL-Jumbo this year. This means that Robert Gesink will have more freedom to go for a stage win like in the Vuelta and Tour last year.

Stages

Date Stage (Giveaway) Steam
May 4 Jerusalem (Israel) – Jerusalem (Israel) Stranded In Time
May 5 Haifa (Israel) – Tel Aviv (Israel) Star Merc
May 6 Beersheba (Israel) – Eilat (Israel) Cook, Serve, Delicious!
May 8 Catania – Caltagirone Deranged Rabbits
May 9 Agrigento – Santa Ninfa NO THING
May 10 Caltanissetta – Mount Etna DRAGON: A Game About a Dragon
May 11 Pizzo – Praia a Mare Micron
May 12 Praia a Mare – Montevergine Carrie's Order Up!
May 13 Pesco Sannita – Gran Sasso Disgraced
May 15 Penne – Gualdo Tadino Aerannis
May 16 Assisi – Osimo SimpleRockets
May 17 Osimo – Imola Just Hero
May 18 Ferrara – Nervesa della Battaglia Madrobot X
May 19 San Vito al Tagliamento – Monte Zoncolan HyperRogue
May 20 Tolmezzo – Sappada Richard & Alice
May 22 Trento – Rovereto Save Halloween: City of Witches
May 23 Riva del Garda – Iseo Oozi: Earth Adventure
May 24 Abbiategrasso – Prato Nevoso Island Defense
May 25 Venaria Reale – Bardonecchia The Charnel House Trilogy
May 26 Susa – Cervinia The Flock
May 27 Rome – Rome Merger 3D
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Special prediction: Verstappen will crash into the peloton. At least once. ;-)

5 years ago

lmao!

5 years ago

Even though he won't be participating Cavendish will crash at least once as well.

5 years ago

:D

5 years ago

Considering that all my other predictions have been correct so far, we probably should inform the Giro organization to keep an eye on Verstappen's location. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 years ago

I just noticed that the May,17th stage ends on the Imola circuit. This is getting scary :DD

5 years ago

Hopefully we won't regret ignoring all the signs! ;)

5 years ago

Thank you for another cycling event, Corran! :D

I'm exited that the Giro starts in Israel with the first stage in Jerusalem, the eternal capital of the Jewish people. ^^

View attached image.
5 years ago

Bump

5 years ago

Thanks for doing the event :)!

Even if it's my home country Tour, I took a break from cycling after the Classics so I'm not yet fully focused on it. For the GC, I have only one hope: everyone but Froome :D

5 years ago

Would be nice if he worked for Poels instead :P

5 years ago

That would be cool with me :D

5 years ago

Thank you :)
Have a bump.

5 years ago

Bump! :)

5 years ago

bump!

5 years ago

This would make a lot more sense if I followed cycling haha

5 years ago

Thank you for another cycling event, Corran! :)

I am looking forward to this years Giro! Really hoping Dumoulin can repeat his win.

5 years ago

14 hours to go until first stage, an individual time trial in Jerusalem. ^^

5 years ago

Congrats with Tom Dumoulin as first stage winner in Jerusalem and oranje boven, again! :D

View attached image.
5 years ago

Thanks!

Let's hope we'll get three weeks of great cycling; it really looks promising so far.

5 years ago

I hope that too and he took already 40 seconds on Froome.

5 years ago

And another win for Vivani. I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett loses his podium for leaving his line like that.

5 years ago

Impressive win by Tim Wellens.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Very nice win by Enrico Battaglin, I think LottoNL-Jumbo must be very pleased.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

They should because they are not winning that much races this season. ;-)

5 years ago

They are focussing a lot on the Tour de France this year but it's so hard to win there cause everyone wants those victories.

5 years ago

Yeah and Greipel isn't getting any younger for the stages disputed in a (mass) sprint.

5 years ago

At least he managed his second win of the season a couple of days ago. He won a stage at the 4 Jours de Dunkerque.
I think this will be the level of competition where he can still compete at, but I don't see him winning stages at the bid races.

5 years ago

He won the second stage of the Vierdaagse van Duinkerke and that made it his 150' win as a professional rider and it was also only his second race after he broke his collarbone during a crash in Milaan-Sanremo.

5 years ago

I'm so happy that this event has so many followers, I'm Italian but I've never been that much into cyclism but I understand that it's an huge event that involves the whole world and it's very popular here! :)

5 years ago

Amazing one-two by Mitchelton-Scott!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

I've always been a huge fan of Colombian climbers, so I'm very happy for Chaves, but of course Yates was super-impressive!
Let's see if this is a one-off or if he will be a serious contender

5 years ago

Sam Bennett proved Viviani can be beat and he's the first Irish winner in the Giro since Stephen Roche in 1987.

View attached image.
5 years ago

I was a small kiddo but I was already watching cycling in Roche's year :). And Bennett definitely had the better legs today.

5 years ago

It doesn't work everytime for the Quick-Step Floors cycling team. ^^

5 years ago

Gran Sasso today. After 150km there is a breakaway group of 14 cyclists with almost 7m lead over peloton.

5 years ago

Very impressive win by Simon Yates there; he looked like he could easily do another 50 km. I think he's now definitely the top favorite.

Froome and Aru lost a lot; I can't see them come back.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Simon Yates is clearly the top favorite now and if he can hold his form I don't know who will rival him at the moment.

5 years ago

I agree too that Yates is the number one favourite right now, but I think it's early and I see it open for the top 4 (Yates, Chaves, Pinot,Dumoulin). Can't see anyone else getting in . of course in 2 weeks I can still come back to this comment and see how wrong I was :D

5 years ago

What a stage! What a finish! One of the best I saw this year, worthy of a Belgian classic!!
Maybe I got carried away a bit lol, but hats off to Yates and Dumoulin

5 years ago

Yeah, that was way more than I expected; great stuff!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

BUMP

5 years ago

No one expected Sam Bennett to go that soon; he just left them all standing there. And no Max Verstappen in sight. ;)

He certainly has a nice girlfriend too. :p

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Viviani with another impressive win. Too much horsepower for the other sprinters.

5 years ago

He was way faster than the rest and managed to be right where he needed to be, well done. Van Poppel could have closed the door on him more but I doubt it would have helped.

Tomorrow the Zoncolan!!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Hattrick for Viviani! :D

5 years ago

Was this the resurrection of Chris Froome?

Yates defended really well; with four more real mountain stages to go, I'd say he's even more the favorite now, unless Froome really explodes.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

A lot will have not seen this coming and possibly have written him of, prematurely.

5 years ago

Yates was incredibly impressive today and unless something weird happens he looks pretty much locked in for the title.

I can't see Yates losing much more than a minute in the ITT on Tuesday.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.