No giveaway today. You can thank American Airlines for putting me in the crappiest hotel possible without wifi after causing me to miss my connecting flight (last of the day ) due to delay. Didn't get any food vouchers either and I'm starving and everything is already closed due ito it being past midnight .

Anyone else have an airline horror story to share?

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Screams NO GIBWAI?!?!?!

8 years ago

Thank you :-)

8 years ago

PS: Train?!

Edit: Train needed some repairs.

8 years ago*

jatan11t should have taken the train :)

8 years ago

I wish. But the US doesn't really have high speed cross country rail. Not to mention that even if they did, it would still take a good 20 hours to travel

8 years ago

Thank you and good job stepping up :)

8 years ago

Thank you and the others that crated the GAs.

8 years ago

Thanks guys :D

8 years ago

where are you now?
once I traveled to venice and my ears had so much pressure that I went to bathroom to take my shirt off and scream on it. that constant pressure caused no damage to me but it hurt me A LOT. almost 40 flights in one month, every one of them was normal, but this one was shitty as hell.

8 years ago*

Pinch your nostrils closed and blow through your nose? :x....

8 years ago

really tried everything there... that pressure was driving me crazy because I couldn't do nothing about it. :(
(talked with some flight attendant to make sure that I'll not have something serious there... they said that is rare but happends)

8 years ago

That happened to me once in one ear. It was really painful! And it didn't go away until a few hours after I got off the plane.

8 years ago

Stuck in Chicago for tonight. Heading to bed now, early flight tomorrow

8 years ago

night and flight. don't forget the parachutes.

8 years ago

I have the same problem but in both ears and pretty much every time, It a pressurization problem. I went to big bear California once and the way back it felt like someone took kitting needles and jammed them in my ears and was whirling them around. I tend to be hard of hearing anytime I go over mountains, for a couple days it's nothing but "what?....what?....excuse me officer did you say get out of the car or let go to the bar? (jk)

8 years ago

Heinkel He 178

Wikipedia
Military Factory
Aviation History
Video about the He 178 and German jet history in general
Part 2 of that video

The Heinkel He 178 was the world's first aircraft to fly under turbojet power, and the first practical jet aircraft. It was a private venture by the German Heinkel company in accordance with director Ernst Heinkel's emphasis on developing technology for high-speed flight. It first flew on 27 August 1939, piloted by Erich Warsitz. This flight had been preceded by a short hop three days earlier. [From Wikipedia]

Operational Histoy [From Aviation History]

Although the first flight was successful, it was not accepted by the German Ministry of Aviation (Reichsluftfahrtministerium or RLM) after a demonstration flight on November 1, 1939, to Ernst Udet, Erhard Milch and engineer Helmut Schelp. The aircraft achieved speeds to 598 km/h (380 mph), but combat endurance was only 10 minutes. Udet, Milch and Schelp were unimpressed and saw no practical value for the airplane.
Heinkel attributed his rejection to the failure of the leaders of the RLM to understand the advantages of turbojet propulsion, but from the standpoint of Udet, Milch and Schelp they rejected it for the following resons:

• The war was on.
  • It was not a military aircraft.
  • It had no weapons.
  • Heinkel was behind on his production schedules and thought to be goofing around with non-productive developmental programs.

Significance [From Aviation History]

However, what Heinkel did not realize was that the Reich Air Ministry was developing its own jet engines. In 1939, BMW was building its 003 and Junkers was working on its Jumo 004 turbojet engines. These were axial-flow turbojets and not centrifugal-flow turbojets. The idea for the axial-flow turbojet had been around for awhile and was patented by French engineer Guillaume in 1921.3 Axial-flow turbojets promised much higher flight speeds unlike centrifugal-flow turbojets being developed at Heinkel and by Frank Whittle in England. The axial-flow turbojet was a more promising engine demonstrating excellent performance with approximately 78% efficiency. With straight-flow air and a smaller cross-section, these features proved to be important for a high-speed aircraft design.
Despite the decision of the RLM to not fund the He 178, Heinkel went on to develop the first turbo-jet fighter, the He 280 which preceeded the Messerschmitt Me 262. Near the end of the war, Heinkel was finally allowed to fulfill his dream and construct his own jet fighter, the He 162.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
8 years ago

You've been waiting for this, don't you? ^^

8 years ago

These threads, or 178 in particular? I find the plane and setup my post the day of, I didn't know about this plane until yesterday. as for the posts, I may have stayed up till 2 to post this.

8 years ago

ahp oh, it seemed you had all that stuff ready for 178 XD

8 years ago

I guess people never like adopting the first generation of new technology

8 years ago

To be fair, In war time, it's probably better to go with the tried and true than an experimental aircraft with no combat endurance or weapons.

Also, from Wikipedia,

In mid September 1939, two weeks after Germany started World War II, the German air force ordered aircraft manufacturers to reduce development work and concentrate all efforts on winning what German officials expected to be a short war. But the development of jet powered single-seaters was ordered to continue, to get such aircraft operational as fighters as soon as possible

They continued jet research, but "Heinkel was behind on his production schedules and thought to be goofing around with non-productive developmental programs," and their 178 wasn't a military craft and could only fly for 10 minutes.

8 years ago

Too many bad memories of being holed up in the worst places from delays of every form of transportation :(

8 years ago

i was upgraded once. it was the best flight ever!!!

8 years ago

I finally realize the purpose of the numbered threads: SteamGifts has become Jatan's personal blogging site.

On a more serious note, when I was in Japan with a bunch of friends, the flight back to the states was delayed, which also made us miss our connecting flight. Thankfully one of my friend's parent called the airline company and got it sorted out so there wasn't that much of a delay, but it meant that we needed to go to the baggage pick up area and then go through TSA again (they make you go through it once you disembark and are past customs). The Japanese airport workers are so much nicer than the TSA :<

Oh and on the way to Japan the guy sitting next to me grabbed the hot towel from the steward that was meant for me. How rude! (Although it wasn't the airline's fault.)

But yeah, pretty mild compared to you.

8 years ago

Ladies first u.u

8 years ago

I have never flyed, so nope. Enjoy the experience. Free soap

View attached image.
8 years ago

Say what?! I've seen you floating back and forth already so no lying!

View attached image.
8 years ago

Flew* sorry. I hadn't slept.
And I was referring to planes. Of course I enjoy floating around, last night I was watching you through your window.

8 years ago

Gah! Stalking alien! D:

I was watching you too.

View attached image.
8 years ago

* Pets Rauchen *

View attached image.
8 years ago

prrr prrr
No extra gifts for you.
prrr prrr prrr

8 years ago

I don't really have any horror stories, but my mom and I are cursed with air travel.

I have always get delayed horribly, like 4 hours+

My mother's planes always have trouble. Usually it's nothing bad, just something small like a tire bursting on landing, but once one of the plane's she was on engines caught fire and the flight had to turn back. So now she has to take very powerful anxiety pills to fly because she's too nervous.

8 years ago*

Engine caught fire? O.o
I'm not sure I would ever fly again if that happened to me

8 years ago

TreeB's mom is so hot the plane caught on fire!

8 years ago

They say a fear of flying is irrational because bad things happen so rarely, what's the chance it'll happen to you, but considering how something bad happens almost every time my mom flies, I really think it's rational for her.

8 years ago

Maybe she should use another airplane company :/

8 years ago

You can't break a curse that easily. We've flown many different companies, I'm still delayed and her planes have incidents almost every, no mater the company. (although it kinda went down after she stopped using delta. fuck Delta.)

8 years ago

Whew, sorry you had such a bad experience! No personal airline stories here. Too afraid to fly :3

8 years ago

My bad experience: I get motion sickness. :x. It's either be sick or be drugged \o/

8 years ago

Have you used those barf bags on planes? What do you do with them when you're done? Do you just like, give them to a flight attendant? xD

8 years ago

You just chuck them out of the window. Of course.

8 years ago

Loool, they are sealable...

8 years ago

But then what do you do with the sealed bag? Put it back in the seat pocket?

8 years ago

I would hope not. ಠ_ಠ

8 years ago

Not really, unless you count taking off and landing on an ATR several times. Plane gets shaky as fuck and I was afraid that we will crash.

View attached image.
8 years ago

I've never been in a plane before... My only horror plane experience is the RC Plane mission in San Andreas.

View attached image.
8 years ago

I only flew two times in '00
I don't plan to ever fly again with all the security molestations post-9/11

8 years ago

I was on a 6hr domestic flight so the plane is smaller with only seats on the sides with the middle isle for walking. I was seated between 2 large Australian bushmen. They were both dirty and sweaty. Basically I was suffocating from the smell of stale sweat and earth for most of the 6 hrs.

8 years ago

up until now, I've always had good experiences with airlines I think? maybe I just try to forget the bad ones, I don't know...
I'm glad I didn't have any horror experience up until now.

8 years ago

Nooooo! No Gibs? This is:

View attached image.
8 years ago

Don't have many airplane horrors. I tend to just wear the headphones & zone out for most of the trip. But airport horrors, oh boy.
Once had a horrific 14 hour wait in Egypt between connecting flights (travel agent botched the bookings & I was too lazy to crosscheck till I actually arrived at the airport) . I can handle almost anything but boredom terrifies me :(

Or another time I fell asleep while waiting for my flight. Airport staff located me 45 minutes after departure time, slumped in a chair in the waiting area, drooling unto my jacket. They held the plane while they searched for me though, which was unexpectedly nice.

8 years ago

Wow! They waited for you? I sprinted to the departure gate, got thereabout 3 min late but the plane had left already. They actually left a couple min early. The attendant there told me ihad to go all the way back to my arrival gate to get rebooked... There were quite a few other people in the same situation so I bet the airline could have saved a lot of money if the plane had waited for like 10 minutes

8 years ago

Yeah they waited. Almost wish they hadn't though. Had to board the plane in full view of the other passengers who had been forced to wait for me for half an hour. My seat was all the way at the back too :(
Those eyes, those horrible judging eyes!

8 years ago*

no problems recently....no serious problems....and those things happen...not nice...but it happens. Yes sometimes I was angry and hungry...in other cases the airline was really nice and the break from planned schedule was like a wellness-holiday.
Looking back to the 90th , flights in planes like the md-11 (cracking sounds in those where louder than the engines, hard landings on iced strips in gander and so on) and a helicopter-crash-landing within my military service, i'm today more or less happy if they manage to bring me home in one piece.

8 years ago

Well, I've been through a rough landing where one wingtip actually flew into the tarmac and was damaged due to wind shear. The pilot aborted the landing, came around and eventually landed safely. Hey, it could have been worse. :)

How come they didn't give you any food vouchers? As far as I know, they have to do it. You could order a meal at the hotel and have the airline pick up the bill, if they had room service or vending machines.

8 years ago

That is horrifying.

8 years ago

Wow that's horrible! Glad you got through unscathed.
I guess they didn't give anything because it was already 11 pm and everything was closed

8 years ago

Well, I think it's good enough that they gave you a place to stay. Some airlines don't do even that - so many people forget to check agreement they made with tranposport companies when buying a ticket ;/

I don't actually had any really bad stories about flying :P

8 years ago

Mine was, and I wish I was kidding, we had to taxi back to the gate from the strip to get more fuel as they didn't put enough in the plane.
They don't make pills stong enough for me to want to fly again.

8 years ago

This was mostly my fault for running slightly late, but...

I just missed my train to the airport (it literally pulled away as I was running toward the platform)
Hopped on the next train, hoping it would go to the same stop (it didn't)
Hopped off at the next station and waited for the right train (about 40 minutes later)
Ran through a fairly large international airport and begged people to let me go ahead of them through security (they did... nice folks) :)
Sprinted to my gate (I was the last to board and the steward closed the plane door immediately behind me)
And... waited over half an hour on the runway before we could even take off, due to some oil and foam in one of the engines that needed to be fixed facepalm

Oh, and when I finally got to my destination, my co-worker who was there to pick me up was pissed that I was late :P

8 years ago

Once the pushback tractor grabbed in a bad way the nose landing gear.
My wife and I had to wait sitting in the plane for like 2h while the engineers decided if it was safe to fly or not.
So our honeymoon in Paris began :P

8 years ago

I don't really have any horror stories. Every time I've flown somewhere things go great getting there, but not so great coming back. I once missed my connecting flight on a flight home. My connecting flight was the last flight of the day. There was only a 30 minute window between my connecting flights and we missed it. We landed at close to midnight and the next flight out was at 8am. What was frustrating was that it was the last hop till I got home, and home was only a 4 hour drive. I asked them if they could just rent me a car and let me drive home, but they wouldn't and the car rental places were closed anyway. They put me up in a hotel that was a 30 minute drive from the airport, and shuttle buses had stopped running for the night. I guess the hotel had to call in drivers so late to pick up everyone that was stranded, so it was another hour waiting for a shuttle bus. I got a few hours of sleep since I had to get up at 6am to have enough time to eat and catch a shuttle back to the airport. I did get a meal voucher for breakfast, which was only just enough to cover the cheapest thing the hotel served.

8 years ago

I once had to stay in an airport for over 20 hours waiting for a delayed flight. :(

8 years ago

Yes. I've never been on a plane.

And I really want to.

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.