For any collector.
https://www.kinguin.net/category/14608/prey-2006-steam-cd-key/ (current lowest price 1,80 euro, can google some 5-7% coupon codes but might disable some payment options, and it's just a few cents.
https://www.g2a.com/nl-nl/prey-2006-steam-key-global-i10000035423002
https://www.gamivo.com/product/prey

Better to turn off those protection things, but it's up to you.

On xbox full for $2 (but i don't have that, so i don't know the details).

https://steamdb.info/sub/217/

This still applies too.
https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/A08Ex/the-amazing-spider-man-1-and-2-removed-games-cheaply-on-kinguin-plays-fine-in-nl

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Thanks for the headsup! :) Prey was a nice experience and deserves a place in my steam-collection.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

Very good game indeed. It's a must to play this game for who not play it until now.

5 years ago

Wait, you buy games to actually play them?...

What kind psycho are you?!?

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

+1
really sad that the actual sequel didnt happen

5 years ago

Those are way too suspiciously low prices. There are what, dozens of actually working Steam keys in existence left for this? We haven't seen a new unused CD pop up for Prey for around three years now.

5 years ago

I have no idea, i bought a copy on kinguin and that one worked atleast. To be honest i didn't even hear about the game before, but i read (2006) and seriously an inner voice said removed game.. i checked and apparently it was.

On g2a they selling too, but for 3 euro.

5 years ago

Nah, it is not unusual. Prey 2006 has going less than $5 for months now, almost a year. Three or four months ago it was about $1.5 on Kinguin.

5 years ago

At one time, you could get a copy of the game on eBay for slightly less than $100.00.

5 years ago

The 1C edition and sealed copies still goes for $100 on eBay though.

5 years ago

Every retail key (from physical, boxed copies) from this game activates on Steam.
They do not look like normal Steam keys.

5 years ago

My key looked like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx

Apparently from that key form they couldn't make more keys and that's why they removed it from steam, and changing the keys was for some reason too difficult.

5 years ago

Mine, from Gamivo, was 18 characters long, without spaces. $2,82, June 10th this year.

5 years ago

These keys actually work with the space and without it.

5 years ago

Nah, probably usual licensing deals - IP belongs to Bethesda, but game belongs to someone else (Take-Two?). It's not like they can't create new cd-keys with new format.

Or, Bethesda just don't want to pay any further money to Human Head Studios who were the final developers - there's quite a history between them due to Prey 2.

5 years ago*

Yeah this. Myth comes from being discounted very low before like a day before 2K's licensing deal ended, unfortunately keys ran out and they didn't have time to restock keys and instead replaced sale with other game (Bioshock maybe).

5 years ago

Many thanks for this info.

5 years ago

I bought a copy from G2A 10 months ago. I think it was around $3. Key worked and the game is still on my account, I played it a few months ago.

5 years ago*

I beg to differ. For at least one year I have seen those keys around for around $5, not exclusively on the grey market, but also on ebay and such. Me, I bought a working physical copy for €5 from ebay in 2016.

5 years ago

Since the game has not been in circulation for years, I can only think that someone managed to find a shipment of unused DVDs and now they are selling them before the boss of the store finds out. :D

5 years ago

They seem to have printed a silly amount of copies for this game at least. Just a few years ago, I got my sealed copy of the game for ~1,5€.

5 years ago

Reprinted. We do not remember now, but it was a large hit, despite its ridiculous delays. But it was not handled well.
Still, as I said, it has been years since I heard about a new stock popping up.

5 years ago

Yeah, sure, it received several print runs. My copy is of a later one, but it seems like they overestimated the demand of it towards the end. I've not really been following things for this game recently, but it would not surprise me if there are at least stores out there that have stock left over. I just found a local (Swedish) store that has at least one copy left for 120 SEK (~12€).

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Thank you, it's one of my favourite FPS ever :D

5 years ago

have you played Arkane one?

5 years ago

I didn't, but I watched a friend play it for a little over 1h. There's too much crafting and no native american mystical powers and no puzzles either.
I might still try it at some point, but I'm not too interested in this new Prey, if I'm being completely honest.

5 years ago

There's also no jukebox.

5 years ago

If you want to play the complete game with 9 addons free, get it on the Xbox console. I bought the game last Nov. for only $1.99 over there and got the dlcs for free as well.

5 years ago

What dlc? For the Prey(2006) game?

5 years ago

Yes. The Xbox version includes free DLC which is not available on steam anymore I believe, adding extra multiplayer maps(Tunnel Rat, Topillogical, Space Oddity and Gravity Labs) and characters(Jen, Hunter, Elhuit, Elite and Becky).

https://www.giantbomb.com/prey/3030-16372/dlc/

5 years ago

Oh, well that is disappointing that we can't get them on Steam.

5 years ago

An Xbox One X is a good supplementary platform to have in addition to your PC. You get to play Red Dead Redemption 1(not available on PC) and Witcher 2 enhanced in 4K despite being older games not to mention exclusives such as Halo Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Too Human, Saints Row 1, Project Gotham Racing, Recore, Fable 2, Forza Horizon 2, earlier Forza Motorsport games, Crackdown 1 and 2, and japanese rpgs like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, etc. Many games and dlcs pulled from steam are still available on Xbox and servers that no longer exist on PC are also still available, with generally stronger player bases in most games.

5 years ago*

And also buy the newest smartphone to use it for emulation!

5 years ago

I don't have an xbox, but thank you so much for the suggestion :)

5 years ago

Bought it, worked :V (Portugal)
https://gyazo.com/a5b497e8f22c8056a5146afcf1445bb7

5 years ago

+1

With a strange key GC?AHHL?3CCG?G7W F9

Never seen any like this

5 years ago

Its a really old key :V

5 years ago

Old? Initial release date: May 5, 2017

5 years ago

Prey 2006, not 2017.

5 years ago

Oh my bad, sorry already drunk. Thanks.

5 years ago

It was clearly mentioned… :p

5 years ago

5 years ago

added.

5 years ago

If you have an Xbox console, they have sold Prey on sale for as low as $1.99. That is what I paid for it last November. You just have to wait for the right time.
The nice thing about the Xbox version is that it includes free DLC which is not available on steam anymore I believe, adding extra multiplayer maps(Tunnel Rat, Topillogical, Space Oddity and Gravity Labs) and characters(Jen, Hunter, Elhuit, Elite and Becky).

So to get the complete game and play online with others, get it on Xbox.

5 years ago*

I bought it on Gamivo a few months ago: Prey

Pretty cheap there too.

Edit: I bought it 2018-03-30 :)

5 years ago

added.

5 years ago

It's been cheap for a long time now. I considered buying it, but I watched some gameplay videos and it just seems meh.

5 years ago

I finished it early this year (or late last year) and yes, it's meh-ish.

5 years ago

I recommend you to play it, you will hate Bethesda after. (the game is not bad, it's because what Bethesda has done)

5 years ago*

lol

5 years ago

But it's already easy to hate them for everything they done. :p

5 years ago

Looks like it may be a fun play, but I have to really be into the game/price for me to buy off the grey market (and i'm neither). I'll probably pass for now.

5 years ago

And of course I get a duplicate key

5 years ago

I was going to add a warning that both the Prey games can't be installed at the same time, at least not on the same drive as Steam uses games names rather than appid's for the installation directory but I've just checked SteamDB and the install directory for the older game was updated to Prey 2006 at the start of July. Only took 14 months for that to get fixed.

5 years ago

Good to know. Had been under the first impression for quite a while now already and assumed it would never be fixed.

5 years ago

I've bought a number of games where other countries (mostly Germany and Russia) have an entirely separate version. Being separate games I can't always just download a depot to switch the language files but it's often possible to copy the relevant files over from the ROW release so this is an issue I was familiar with before Prey.

5 years ago

I actually won it here, sometime last year :D Great game and a great soundtrack.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

I wonder how safe it is to activate a key from one of these "stores" if it has been obtained illegally and it's just being resold on those sites.
Would the game just be removed from your steam account or could your account get locked permanently?

5 years ago*

I got mine a few years back. This games doesn't give you +1 on your number of games owned. It just sits quietly waiting to be installed and played by you.

5 years ago

Your games would just be removed.

5 years ago

Only the game gets removed. According to steam support they only intervene if the developer/publisher asks them to, so basically it all depends on the publisher of the given game.

5 years ago

Or stuff is bought with stolen credit cards and such.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

G2a and Gamivo too, but yeah key reseller sites.

5 years ago

If you have a console guys, don't buy it in the grey market. It is only $1.99 on Xbox when on sale and all the 9 dlcs are free.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

5 years ago

I bought one years ago for like 6 or 7 usd thinking they might run out. I can't believe it has gone that cheap, damn.

5 years ago

$4.39 total with Kinguin protection via PayPal
Very strange key without dashes, but activated normally as Pray retail

5 years ago*

You shouldnt have gotten the kinguin protection, since you can still get support in case the key doesn't work, if im not mistaken.
Plus you just handed some cash for free to kinguin. If the key was duplicate, you could just buy another, if you didnt want to bother with kinguin support.

5 years ago

higher and higher price since yeasterday...

5 years ago

Plati.market - $2.30, bought mine there a couple months ago.

5 years ago

Worked fine, thanks!

5 years ago

Pretty generic FPS game (despite its unusual setting) in my opinion with the Doom 3 engine. Comes nowhere near to classics such as the original Unreal or Undying for example.
But the price is pretty good nevertheless - someone probably had a stock of old retail copies and decided it was time to sell them.

5 years ago

''Comes nowhere near ...''

Bit harsh for such a well-received game, no? It doesn't quite reach the level of Clive Barker's Undying, but I felt that it was on par with Unreal as far as single player is concerned; the gameplay was tight, and Human Head's work with idtech4 was superb as well - adding gravity, portals, the ability to walk on walls even. The multiplayer part wasn't that good, true, but I don't think that was ever the focus.

5 years ago

I was talking about the single player campaign of course. For me it seemed quite repetitive with a few shockers.
Interesting fact is that it was announced along with Unreal sometime around 1995 if I recall correctly and Unreal managed to come out 3 years later while Prey after several postponing and rework only in 2006. This surely had a negative impact on the game itself.

5 years ago

Closed 3 years ago by Gaffi.