Sri Lanka declared curfew after an eighth blast was reported by police in Colombo today. A while earlier, the seventh blast had killed two people in the capital. Six nearly simultaneous blasts had rocked the country early today morning. At least 160 290 people have been killed and more than 500 other injured so far. The first six blasts had hit three churches and three five-star hotels during Easter mass. These are the first major attacks since the end of the civil war 10 years ago. According to local reports, the blasts in hotels and churches in different parts of the country occurred at around 8.45 am (local time) as the Easter Sunday masses were in progress in churches.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/blasts-hit-two-sri-lanka-churches-during-easter-mass-80-injured/articleshow/68973838.cms

[Edit (Monday)]
Increased casualty numbers.
No group officially claimed the attacks yet, but rumoured to be the radical National Thowheeth Jama’ath who also destroyed Buddhist statues some time ago, possibly with the aid of other countries, government said.
24 arrests been made.
Bomb found and defused in an airport in Colombo.
There were signs about possible threats, but the government decided not to act on it.
High risk on more attacks to happen.
Tuesday will be a national day of mourning.

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

"There is also information that these have been suicide bombings carried out. These are certainly acts of terror,” said the High Commissioner of Sri Lanka to the UK, Manisha Gunasekera.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

4 years ago

Either Christians, Islam or Buddhist...

4 years ago

Um.... Buddhist don't blow themselves up... What have YOU been reading?

4 years ago

Not that they aren't beyond violence in Sri Lanka either...

4 years ago

8 blasts and 207 people confirmed dead https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48001720

4 years ago

oh, this world :(
Send my pray to the victims and family :(

4 years ago

it's beyond me how anyone could do or take part in something like that. doesn't matter who did it and why, these people need to be hunted down and killed like the dangerous animals they are.

4 years ago

Damn, this is so sad,
do they know who the terrorists are?

4 years ago

They say it might be the National Thowheeth Jama'ath, who also destroyed a bunch of buddhist statues awhile ago, though afaik nothing is officially confirmed yet, so far they arrested 13 people.

4 years ago

They're psychos.
"Terrorists" is just a word that sells papers because it gives people the idea that somewhere in a cave, is a guy that can be eliminated and make it all better. It's more reassuring than just having to live with the knowledge that there are psychos out there and that they tend to find each other more easily than they used to and are acting like psychos in groups.

What excuse they use to hide behind is unfortunately irrelevant. "Religion", "Freedom" or whatever they want to tell themselves, has nothing to do with what they're doing.

4 years ago

They are not normal in the head, yes
But its not all there is - there has already been explanations how this radicalization happens. Firstly - their ideologies are the main reason for these psychos to kill themselves, because someone has brainwashed to believe and think that only way out is pureness of religion, ethnicity, race or whatever. They are lead by intelligent but arrogant people. So radicalized religion (sadly at this point) is the main and only reason for monstrosities going on at this point, ignoring it wont make it better
Secondly - they scrape the bottom of our society, for left out people. For those misfits that think society is at fault they are not succeeding at mating, professionally, personal advancement... All you need to do is feed their little egos about how good they are and how our society is the one who did it to that person.. And at this point people like this just see these tragedies all around the world and their extremely low IQ brain somehow thinks they could do something like that where they are - "pay their tribute to the cause"
They in fact are terrorists. Psychotic sick people, but terrorists nonetheless in the name of religion or ethnic cleansing of "western world". We dont see it like that - we look at it rationally, they dont. As you said - they are psychos.

4 years ago

So radicalized religion (sadly at this point) is the main and only reason for monstrosities going on at this point,

The main and only reason? Like that psycho who killed people in a New Zealand Mosque? That Incel Psycho who just killed people because he wasn't getting laid? That psycho who killed dozens from a hotel window in Vegas at a music festival? All those kids who take down random strangers at their schools before killing themselves?

And those are just off the top of my head in recent history because I don't follow the religion of terrorism enshrined by the media, profiting off our fear. They are the real terrorists. They live off the fear they spread by making all those psychos feel important;

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is nothing wrong with it. I'm not saying killing strangers by the dozens is something that should be ignored. I'm not saying society is not sick. There is more that we can and should do about all the parts of our society we are ignoring until they pick up a gun or a bomb. But instead of focusing our attention, focalized by the media, on what happens after they do pick up a gun or a bomb, and whatever religion or other excuse they choose, we should be paying attention before that.

4 years ago

God damn, what's happening with humanity? :'(

4 years ago

The same shit that has been going through all history: humans being assholes.

4 years ago

Although I would qualify that statement with "Some humans...," that pretty much sums it up.

4 years ago

Happening? This has been going on for tens of thousands of years... Humans are evil to core, without any redeeming features.

4 years ago

The reason I don't read the news.

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.