lobster over french fries? @_@
no idea where is that dish from, but here lobster is a luxury dish that you don't want to mix with fries

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

And there is also some cheese on top of that. 😥

5 years ago

my gosh, no, maybe it's something else, maybe some kind of vegetable buds o.O

5 years ago

My grandma would beat whoever made that thing xD

5 years ago

Mm yes. Of course they are veggies ;)

Not.

5 years ago

Funnily enough, lobster used to be considered trash fish! I actually used to drive by a fishery where the local fishermen once went on strike because they were given too much lobster to eat, just like prisoners once were. It didn't become a luxury until the 1900s.

5 years ago

Heh not in the US, no. They have cheap lobster but don't worry they don't taste that great really. Kinda like a cross between shrimp and crab. It's not the kind of lobster that is luxury food.

5 years ago*

Maine is in the United States.

5 years ago

Yes, I know. That was my point. Care to elaborate?

5 years ago

That is the gourmet kind of lobster. Spiny lobster is the non gourmet.

5 years ago

I am not confusing with rock lobster (which is not a lobster at all)
Trust me, nobody working in a professional kitchen would qualify American Lobster (Maine or Canada) as gourmet food. It's decent seafood, like jumbo shrimps, but it's nowhere near the luxury item that was referred to. European Lobster (or blue lobster) has a size, texture and a delicate flavor that has nothing to do with its American cousin. It's like comparing grass-fed beef (which is very good) to Wagyu beef (which is to die for). Its price reflects that so you'd never find it shredded on fries with cheese. Heads would roll.

5 years ago

Maine Lobster is expensive. Actually all lobster is.

5 years ago

Retail average per pound Maine Lobster $8 to $12
Retail average per pound European $30 to $38
I guess Maine Lobster is more expensive than meat but it's way cheaper than European Lobster and it's about the same price as fish so not cheap as in fast food cheap but definitely not a luxury item in the US

5 years ago

While some people preferring the taste and texture might increase the cost some, I think the main reason the European lobster is 3 to 4 times more expensive is because they are smaller and rarer.

5 years ago

Even in Europe they are rarer, for sure. Their food sources are also different so it changes their flavor. And they are mostly caught well away from the shore so they don't live in the same conditions and are harder to catch. Plus their size means they can't be kept as long in vivariums so they keep a firm texture. American lobsters are much larger and they live longer in enclosed controlled spaces but it changes their texture over time.

5 years ago

I had zero clue that putting lobster in tank changes their texture! Now I want to try a real, fresh lobster just caught! Wish there were wild lobsters here

5 years ago

I know, right? Had one on a boat once. Damn, it was amazing. Poached in butter sous vide and then grilled. Now I'm drooling just thinking about it. Wish I could live on a boat just for that (I'd have to get someone to fish it too cause I suck)

5 years ago

A Maine lobster would only ever be that cheap if they had an overabundance in supply.

5 years ago

I once saw Maine lobsters for $4 / lb at an Asian supermarket, it was cheaper than crab! That was the only time I ever saw it so cheap. I heard there was a huge over-supply of lobster that season. And these were fighting lobsters too! Someone pulled one out of the water for a customer and it looked like it would snap his arm off (luckily its claws were tied).

5 years ago

Heh those suckers are pretty aggressive

5 years ago

Well I didn't make up the price, I looked it up.

5 years ago

I want to live in your world, this is just amazing!

5 years ago

Thanks
It's lobster poutine!

5 years ago

bump

5 years ago

Oh my God! Lobster over french fries looks fantastic. My stomach is really growling. Thanks for sharing.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.