Voidpoint, the developers behind Ion Fury, apologized after it was revealed the team made sexist and transphobic statements in their developer Discord channel. The team also added homophobic language into Ion Fury itself. In a pair of statements from Voidpoint and publisher 3D Realms, the two companies said it will patch out the offensive language from the game, and Voidpoint promised to pledge $10,000 to the LGBT non-profit, The Trevor Project.

Over the weekend a Resetera forum thread published screen captures from the Voidpoint Discord channel that showed the Ion Fury developers make disparaging statements towards the LGBT community, specifically at the trans community.

In one screencap, Ion Fury lead developer Terminx writes, “Yeah if you’re trying to decide your child is trans at birth you have mental problems and probably shouldn’t be a parent [in my opinion].” In another screencap a different Ion Fury developer, Daedolon, asks, “[B]ut mutilating a perfectly healthy body WHILE you have depression and other big mental issues won’t [cause suicides]?”

IGN reached out to Voidpoint and Ion Fury publisher 3D Realms regarding the validity of these Discord chat conversations, and Voidpoint responded this to be the case in a statement. Voidpoint also admitted to adding homophobic language into the game itself.

“Members of Voidpoint’s Ion Fury team have made sexist and transphobic comments, and included homophobic language in Ion Fury,” writes Voidpoint.

In a full statement, the developers apologized for their comments, and pledged to donate $10,000 from Ion Fury’s release day proceeds to The Trevor Project. Here’s Voidpoint’s full statement below:
"We recognize these statements are insensitive, unacceptable, and counterproductive to causes of equality. We unequivocally apologize both for these comments and language as well as for any pain they have caused the gaming community, particularly women and members of the LGBTQ community. We take full responsibility for any damage that has been done to the relationships we've worked so hard to build.

Moving forward, Voidpoint will institute a zero-tolerance policy for this type of language and all employees and contractors will undergo mandatory sensitivity training. As part of our efforts to contribute to the work that must be done to further support these communities, we are donating $10,000 from Ion Fury's release day proceeds to The Trevor Project. We are also patching Ion Fury ASAP to remove all unacceptable language."

Ion Fury publisher 3D Realms also issued a statement, saying that in the future 3D Realms will sever relationships with any developer that breaks the company's zero-tolerance policy for hate speech.
“It has come to our attention Voidpoint, the developers of Ion Fury, have been accused of making transphobic and misogynistic statements, and included homophobic language in the game which was not approved by us.

Under current leadership, 3D Realms has taken pride empowering marginalized groups, as evident by our strong female protagonist Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison and the makeup of our team.

Moving forward all of 3D Realms’ contracts will include terms which would allow us to sever relationships if a contractor does not abide by our zero-tolerance policy for hate speech, and Ion Fury will be patched ASAP to remove all unacceptable language."

Ion Fury was released on August 15, 2019 for PC and utilizes the EDuke32 engine. It is a fork of the Build engine which was used to develop classic 90s FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood. Ion Fury was previously titled, Ion Maiden before the music band Iron Maiden threatened to sue over IP infringement.

"https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/19/ion-fury-devs-are-donating-10000-after-backlash-over-transphobic-comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXtJ8_kqO1M
https://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Fury/

Yet people still give the game negative review, because they removed the offensive stuff and caved in, no matter what decision they made they seemingly couldn't do anything right anymore after that?

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

And today these people realised their harrasment against working people can be profitable if they attack them without mercy over social media. There is gonna be a lot, LOT more of these fake anger in the future. What a clown world

4 years ago

Or, you know, people might realize that calling out public homophobic, transphobic, and sexist statements and content might cause those people to stop making such statements and content, and might even result in people learning about why their comments are insensitive in the first place.

Now, I'm not in favor of attacking anyone over social media, or for anyone to lose their job over an insensitive comment - and hopefully no one here will. I think most people who make such comments aren't trying to be mean or offensive, and just don't understand that what they're saying is insulting. Attacking them is pointless, as that will just cause them to go on the defensive, and instead pointing out that what they're saying is insulting, and why, is much more effective. I don't like review bombing either, and think it's a terrible practice.

But basic common sense should guide you not to allow an anti-SJW / anti-trans tirade to take place on your company's public server in the first place, let alone to keep yourself from joining in on it - save that for when you're out at the pub with your mates after work. If you're in a customer facing position, as an official representative of the company, then you're representing the company, and anything you say and do reflects back on the company. If the result of calling out such insulting statements is the elimination of further insulting statements and a donation to charity, I'm okay with that.

4 years ago

While I understand that a company should look as civilised as possible, as a normal human being, walking on eggshells all the time because of some weird custom some people invented while you didnt looking cant justify the lynch mobs they create.
I'm just tired of these people trying to ruin people's life, and I'm tired companies going all the way to alienate themselves from the very people they work with to lick the boots of the attackers.
Also I would like to add that such an isolated community (a very minor group in 1 country) should not have such a power over the other 7 billion person. its like 0,01% of america, and they want EVERYONE to bend to their way instead them to get integrated into social norms.

4 years ago*

Avoiding joining in on an anti-SJW / anti-trans / anti-feminist tirade is hardly what I'd call walking on eggshells, but that's not important.

The online lynch mobs are indeed a huge problem, and they're directed both ways. You have one lynch mob against someone who made insulting statements, and another lynch mob against someone who wanted to distance themselves from someone else's insulting statements. If 3D Realms or Voidpoint had seen this themselves first and made this announcement before it was reported on, there'd be a lynch mob to boycott Ion Fury because the developer / publisher are SJWs (and there may still be that lynch mob, I don't know).

Every time Epic signs another exclusive, a new lynch mob forms (or maybe it's the same mob, just resurrected and re-purposed).

I don't know what the solution to online lynch mobs is. If you find one, do share. :)

4 years ago

Ignoring them helps.
Vocal minority is always in minority. So it doesn't matter. Just crying kids who roll over the floor in their own piss and tears.

4 years ago

I know the solution, a well placed EMP strike where the highest cluster area of people who get all riled up on things like this. In a more rational way, the solution is waiting out this trend of getting offended about life events, and crossing fingers the next fad is gonna be more constructive.

4 years ago

EMP seems a bit harsh. Can't we just take their internet access away for a day or two? Have the ISPs in the area just cut them all off, forcing them to go outside and actually talk to other people in person like normal human beings? ;)

Remind them that you can be decent in conversation, and ranting and raving isn't the way of normal discourse. Remind them that there's an actual person behind that avatar or screen-name, and of the old saying: Treat others the way that you would want yourself to be treated. :)

4 years ago

It's really not walking on eggshells that they shouldn't talk shit about anything on a developer-discord. It's work environment and they are representing the company there. This is why generally a good idea since forever to keep out politics and other controversial topics from workplaces.
While their message wouldn't be any better, but the situation would be vastly different if they would have said these on their private accounts/servers or in their private life.

4 years ago

What is talking shit there would be a perfectly normal thing to say around here, its a regional problem which get shoved down in the entire world's throat. But I agree with how they shouldnt do this in their offical response platform of the game to discuss something like this. So yeah I agree with you

4 years ago

there is nothing worse like beeing intolerant and homophobic in 2019. shame on those people that are stll living in the ffin past.
respect and tolerate them

4 years ago

You'd be surprised to see how many nations are still intolerant and homophobic... So what if it's 2019? I feel like only US is concerned with their first world problems like these.
Wasn't communism, tyranny and famine the worst tho?

4 years ago*

Also I would like to add that such an isolated community (a very minor group in 1 country) should not have such a power over the other 7 billion person. its like 0,01% of america, and they want EVERYONE to bend to their way instead them to get integrated into social norms

Well said. Straight people are so out nowadays, it's the trend to be gay or lesbian or trans or whatever the hell makes you feel special, am I right?

4 years ago

Look at what they actually left in the game though. They wrote messages about "fagbags" and other such nice remarks. Avoiding that kind of things is hardly walking on eggshells.

4 years ago

If someone makes a bunch of deliberate public remarks about any group of people, then they deserve some backlash. When you're in a position of influence, you have to be tolerant. Even if you don't necessarily approve or fully accept or understand certain people/groups inwardly, you should refrain from being a jackass outwardly. Is it really that hard for people to do this? I dunno, I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated, but I guess some people are just not wired that way.

Sure, there is a lot of fake anger. Fake anger toward shows, games and movies that don't have a representation of every single minority. That's unrealistic and so fake when they go out of their way to be "woke." Nothing wrong with being diverse, but be realistic about it. Fake anger toward a studio for casting someone of the wrong race, and so on. Scar Jo in GITS anyone? Some of that stuff really does get to me. BUT... Calling someone out for being a total jackass and demanding an apology isn't fake anger. That's where it's warranted imo.

4 years ago*

I don't disagree with that first statement.but apparently it does get worse from there. it comes across as someone who intended to deliberately pick examples to build his (yes/no) stance over a broad topic.
this goes for any discussion. Even if you think you are right, touching a delicate topic requires an informed opinion. it is especially true, when the pitchforks are raised as soon its clear which side your on.
that's highly unprofessional talk over a discord channel that should be dedicated to one game alone.

4 years ago*

Exactly my thinking. You're the developer of the game in your game's official Discord channel - act professionally. Think before you open your mouth. As long as you're signed into your Voidpoint developer account, you're representing the brand.

I don't know how the conversation came up in the first place, but the correct thing to do in this case would have been for one of the developers to say, "Hey, folks, let's keep this channel focused on Ion Fury. If you want to have a discussion about something unrelated, please take it somewhere else."

4 years ago

Making people afraid to voice their opinion is an achieved fascist goal.

4 years ago

There should be no opinion-voicing on a developer server from a developer account, period. It's there for communication with the community, not to spread any kind of personal propaganda, as workers there are representing the studio, therefore they personally should avoid distinct supporting of any political or activist group/movement. That is called professionalism.
Then afterwards they can go into their private accounts on their private servers and then do whatever they want.

4 years ago

It's not like people, talking in a private conversación on a private not-company relate setting hasn't been fired before

4 years ago

That is true, but it has nothing to do neither with the situation, nor with my standpoint.

4 years ago

You say there should be no supporting of any political or activist movements... and yet it's seemingly never a problem when a dev takes a left-leaning (even sometimes a radical left) stance. They may face some outcry, but rarely if ever do they apologize or is there a sense that they are being unprofessional.

It's a terrible double-standard that this idea of "professionalism" seems to cut only one way.

4 years ago

Just to be clear, I'm very not sure what is far left. Likely not a good thing, as radicals are.
All I know about my stand that I have no problem about inclusive things being spread by people in power than exclusive ones. I rather support someone spreading acceptance of LGBT people are good, rather than wishing them to hell.
Though things like "whoever hates LGBT are fucking bigoted nazis" is a very wrong message (kind of for a good cause) that still should not be tolerated IMO. While these (and generally all politically-socially loaded statements and sides) are good in the eye of some and bad in the eye of others, I think devs-community managers should be more aware about taking sides have consequences - support from some and likely attacks from the other (be it pro-LGBT or pro-white supremacyst, literally). It's just getting old when people are surprised that whatever they kind of officially say while representing a studio has consequences.

(Can't really go on further because I can't really say examples for left / right, and while it obvious that different channels promote and support different ideologies, me and likely you too has some personal " I think this is the correct side" of the discussion. I do wish for a more neutral point of news and from situations like these, but I can't really push aside my ideology of the idea of "like people" is better than "someone is worth less than us". Though I have to add that whoever calls everyone disagreeing with them nazis and bigots is a moron, regardless of what ideology they represent. )

4 years ago

I think what a lot of people (including the small-minded person that blacklisted me for my previous comment), fail to grasp is that there is a real distinction between people and beliefs. Identity politics have really infected people far and wide with the notion that disagreement with beliefs = hatred of the person in all circumstances.

The problem some see with "acceptance" type campaigns is that they often bind the two together... acceptance of people and acceptance of an idea. It is entirely possible to wish someone well (or at least not wish them harm) but at the same time disagree with their belief on something (for instance, how many genders there are).

I agree with you that ideally businesses and their communities would avoid taking sides, though I also see how it can be very hard in the modern world. People are always connected, especially publicly identified employees of companies. Video game companies are especially "bad" about this these days, all wanting to capitalize on connecting with fans and forming communities (like little tribes really). Of course a direct comment on their Discord seems over the line, but people also get called out for social media posts, blogs, etc. that blur the line between business and personal. Nothing is "just personal" anymore both because of the cyber age we live in, and the hate which drives some "activists".

You seem like a very reasonable person, and I hope you know that while I was partly responding to you in this and my previous post, I am also reflecting on things generally. And kind of hoping that some people see their hypocrisy and double standards (though I know it is doubtful). I do not think you, yourself, are being hypocritical.

4 years ago

The problem some see with "acceptance" type campaigns is that they often bind the two together... acceptance of people and acceptance of an idea. It is entirely possible to wish someone well (or at least not wish them harm) but at the same time disagree with their belief on something (for instance, how many genders there are).

Thanks for the explanation, I think this was the thing you referred before and I couldn't really understand! And I agree on that, the destroy the opposition mindset is counter-productive and it only promotes primitive, ignorant discussion in a party/group, and close to none between different ones. (And then echo-chambters come into play)

4 years ago

Being annoyed at people collectively booing a gamedev in your peripheral vision doesn't really strike me as something an unbiased and lucid person would reasonably try to link to fascism.

(That's my TL;DR reply, to save you if you want to duck the main one coming up next)

4 years ago*

(Here's the main one)
Holding people accountable for taking potshots at those who are still dealing with hot legal / equality issues, however, is not. It would be one thing if the individuals were recieving threats and the threateners were considered 'the good guys" using "an acceptible degree of action", but in this case it's content creators clumsily wading through a sensitive subject in a forum/account directly linked to a company, and letting "fag" jokes into a public release.

If it were a single person and a single small fuckup, there would be backlash, but perhaps less of it. This was a series of fuckups that followed a certain trend (homosexuality, transexuality), that happened in a public place, and also made it into the game. The severity of the fuckups depends on the individual PoV, and that can vary greatly depending on the nationality and orientation of any given witness. If you've walked a mile in shoes that have had to put up with regular puerile taunts, personal threats or legal interference based on your identity, then of course this kind of content is going to land more like dynamite than it would to someone who faces less volcanic political chafing on the daily.

I mean, consider that the Ooblets devs got harassment that escalated to direct threats because of a public statement that similarly formed a pattern, only this was about 'entitled gamers' and a change of release platform. Gamers are dramatically less subject to prejudice with actual, genuine repercussion. And this is not a unique incident following the 'gamer' backlash which is notorious for death-threats, boycotting and extended belligerance that far outstrips most rights activists here in the west. So should we then consider 'gamers' a heavily fascist leaning group? Would you naturally feel the urge to make passing remarks alluding to the supposedly 'fascist' behaviour of gamers, as a means to detract from a time it is quite understandable to be irked?

Applying 'fascist' as a buzzword clapback to angry equality advocates is common way to try frame them as degenerate troublemakers, which is odd, because when it's a tidal wave of gamers escalating to the point of death threats, the response tends more towards "well they're not credible threats, grow a thicker skin"). It's also kind of sad when you consider that in the original rise of literal nazism, detractors were framed as petty troublemakers and zealous reactionaries, just as public opinion of those who walked behind Martin Luthur King Jr. and behind the Suffragetes got similar glares and murmurs about trying to force others to act a certain way, or trying to meddle in the way things just are. Even with any individual batch of anger from rights advocates, whether right or wrong, you have to approach it as lucidly as possible. The outrage doesn't just come from nowhere, it is the result of a long-standing disregard, so is ultimately a devil of our own making.

Bizarro-mode rage over non-issues annoys me too, but this touched some sore shit that people are still dealing with as a current political / lifestyle subject, and I can only imagine it to be far sorer in other regions with less protections. Even then, that backlash was just censure and spreading the word so people could decide whether they still wanted to support the game. There could be a coordinated hard boycott against the game and it still wouldn't be accurate to frame it as 'fascism'. Yes, there will be times when the shrieking is disproportionate to the level of the offense, but but unless they are making threats and those threats are being wholly endorsed? Get the hell out of here with your 'facist' flex ;P

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

The problem with the first statement is that it's a straw man. He's picking a ridiculously over the top position to oppose and then using it to take a shot at an entire group. It's like if I was trying to dismiss video games entirely by saying "Anyone who wants to play a simulator where you shoot children in a school and watch their heads explode into gore should be locked up." Does that game exist? Sure. Is it reasonable to dismiss all video games just because that one exists? Obviously not.

4 years ago

So... game developers are not allowed to have their own point of view?

people still give the game negative review, because they removed the offensive stuff

Well - people who like good old duke or shadow warrior usually doesn't care about political correctness. And censoring game in any form will piss them off. What else did you expect?

4 years ago

You're allowed to have your own point of view. But expressing that point of view in public as an official representative of the company may come with consequences and repercussions when that point of view is insulting to members of the public and potential customers.

When I was working in IT support, I often thought that many of our users that came to me with issues were idiots - and in some cases I think I was correct. But if I publicly expressed this point of view, I would have been severely reprimanded, if not fired (hopefully no one here gets fired, I wouldn't want that).

4 years ago

But expressing that point of view in public as an official representative of the company may come with consequences and repercussions when that point of view is insulting to members of the public and potential customers.

Well - what about game itself then? What about that statement:

Ion Fury will be patched ASAP to remove all unacceptable language

If devs would care about every single customers feelings all games would look the same and pretty much nobody would like to play them any more.
Paying to LGBT organisation, censoring game... it's overkill. I would say that saying that those statements are "not representing company's policy" would suffice.

4 years ago

If the game had homophobic content - and apparently it did - I'm okay with that being patched out in this instance. It's a game about frantically shooting things in the face with barely pausing to catch your breath, so I'm not going to miss the absence of some homophobic content. I'm frankly surprised it even had such content - I imagine it was probably a Duke Nukem style joke, and those stopped being funny 20 years ago.

Yes, it's censorship, but it's self-censorship and the content shouldn't have been in the game to begin with. It's not a story focused game that used homophobic statements as part of creative intent - it's a game where the story is "kill everything you see so you can get to the evil mad scientist and kill him" so the game will be unaffected - if anything, taking out some homophobic jokes is likely to increase my enjoyment of it.

4 years ago

Well - now we are talking about game we haven't play. No idea what kind of content will be "self-censored". Also it's not really self censoring if devs will do it because publisher forced them to do it.

Duke Nukem style joke, and those stopped being funny 20 years ago.

Will fix it for you:

in my opinion those stopped being funny 20 years ago

What's wrong with jokes? Soon they will remove jokes about dead infants because it surly hurts feelings of people who lost their child, or jokes about car accidents or jokes about pretty much anything. Duke Nukem was not only about shooting things. It had many aspects I enjoyed - including funny "one-liners". I did not enjoy absolute silence by Gordon Freeman.

4 years ago

What's wrong with jokes?

Jokes are only good when they're actually funny. I think Battleborn would be a better game if they removed the lame jokes which only become more painful each time you hear them - wouldn't fix all the issues with the game, but I think the game would have been better without them.

But no one is trying to take away jokes, only the ones that insult minorities. If you can't make a joke without insulting minorities, then you have no business making jokes.

4 years ago

Jokes are only good when they're actually funny.

If you can't make a joke without insulting minorities, then you have no business making jokes.

Sorry - but I will joke about what ever I want :) Also don't tell me what is funny and what is not. It's just your opinion. My favourite jokes are about dead infants and death by starvation. Why spare minorities? I should pity them more then dead infants? Learn to laugh from yourself - that's my message to all offended by jokes.
And if you don't like this type of jokes? Just don't visit places where you can see them. Don't tell other people what they are allowed to joke about.

4 years ago

And if you don't like this type of jokes? Just don't visit places where you can see them.

Don't visit what? The Internet? Steam? Retro FPS Shooters? That's the thing, this wasn't the "Homophobic / Transphobic Discord Channel", it wasn't the "Mock LGBTQ Idiots Game". This was a highly publicized and high profile FPS game from a major publisher and their official Discord channel.

The issue with jokes which insult minorities by perpetuating hateful stereotypes is that they make fun of people in a mean way not for any action of theirs but for something over which they have no control. Have you ever been meanly mocked for who you are? I have, and it wasn't pleasant.

Also, you keep bringing up your love for dead baby jokes. I think you should start a new forum thread and share your favorite ones with the SG community.

4 years ago

make fun of people in a mean way not for any action of theirs but for something over which they have no control

Just like people starving to death - and still - we have jokes about them.

This was a highly publicized and high profile FPS game

That you don't have to buy :)

Have you ever been meanly mocked for who you are? I have, and it wasn't pleasant.

I pity you. But you know what? Most of people were. Especially in their teen years. People are cruel and kids especially love to mock anything that's different. Is that the reason why I should stop laughing? You were mocked so hard that it gave you PTSD and every joke is bringing back trauma from the past? Stop living in times far gone.

4 years ago

You're allowed to have your own point of view. But expressing that point of view in public as an official representative of the company may come with consequences and repercussions when that point of view is insulting to members of the public and potential customers.

literally this. i don't know why people are still having this argument. politics and religion, people. unless either of those are your actual profession then it's probably best to keep your opinions out of your work.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

I don't like people who think that they children are their property and they can do with them what they want and kids will have to obey. Children are "small and young people" - different beings. You can't say to another human being that you expect them to be trans or not, or to be gay or not. Most people understand that, but forget about it when it's about their offspring.
I haven't seen originall discussion but if that's all - then I agree with that guy and don't even see a reason to apologise. Why should they? For presenting their personal thoughts? It's not hate speech or calling to lynch.

4 years ago

Well, from a business perspective it would be better to not do anything after the resetera cries, cause the number of their potential/real customers who don't care about that stuff, but care about being anti-sjw, are more than resetera minority, which wouldn't buy a game in the first place. So they would only have bad reviews on metacritic, if there would be enough "activists".
You would think that an apology is needed, but nowadays we have multiple examples that show, that is not the case. You should ignore the vocal minority, cause if you react, you give them power, you become vulnerable, reinforce their belief in their righteous inquisition, so called "cancel culture".

They could've avoided all of this, if they'd keep their opinion private...

4 years ago*

they might as well just save their money and take the publicity hit. cuz that donation wont help them lol

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

4 years ago

This is quite a messy situation, on one hand the devs have a right to their own opinion as long as they're not attacking anybody specifically and on the other hand the public has a right to complain about it if they want.
The real issue here is that now this sets the precedent that devs will cave in and change stuff just to avoid harassment, and even worse the publisher is willing to sacrifice a project for the sake of keeping the outcry under control. Like it or not this is a type of crowd enforced censorship.
Is it too much to ask for things to be openly discussed and people to present their view in their art instead of asking for the head of whoever is perceived to have dared to not be "politically correct" or to have "the wrong opinion".
I do agree that transphobia is a culturally wide issue somewhat akin to racism but shutting down any conflicting opinion in the name of being progressive is only going to make it worse.

4 years ago

Genuine question : What harassment, exactly? Have they actually been harassed, or just faced censure?
And what publisher was willing to sacrifice a project for damage control? What is this in reference to?

Nothing was "shut down". Nobody was forced to do anything. People expressed their anger. The devs could have kept the offending content, and ignored the backlash, as no moderating body was attempting legal intervention. Realistically speaking, not all opinions are equal in merit and weight just by virtue of being opinions. Some are discarded due to the nature of their content, and do not warrant defense for obvious prejudicial / humanitarian issues, and ideally are denied platform to starve the usage of dishonest social memes to proliferate. I've enclosed a hyperbolic image that should hopefully make you chuckle a little while you chew on these thoughts.

View attached image.
4 years ago

To be honest, I wrote that yesterday when I was bored and no longer care enough to defend myself.
I admit I over reacted, the comment itself was unnecesary and writting it was a waste of time. I don't really stand by it, I just failed at expressing what I'm actually worried about and evidently didn't bother to look into the discussion in depth.

That said, the f*ck does that image has to do with anything? Your reply HAD a respectful and coherent tone up to that point and then you turned it into an overt comparation with nazzism for no reason.

4 years ago

That said, the f*ck does that image has to do with anything? Your reply HAD a respectful and coherent tone up to that point and then you turned it into an overt comparation with nazzism for no reason.

If you were actually read my post then I'm confused what you're not understanding? I spent the majority of the second paragraph explaining, and then even prefaced the image by saying it was used as hyperbole and for humour as much as an exaggerated example of what I was talking about. Nothing was compared to nazism. Nazism was used as an exaggerated source of humour. The parallel was in the evaluation of tone and the notion that opinions should be evaluated as equal. :P

4 years ago

I'm kinda pissed at you for replying. Why won't you just let it die when I admit defeat?
Admitting I was wrong is easy, but I don't really want to dwell on it much further and you make me think about it again. I apologize for whatever I did, just please let me forget this pointless discussion. I'm not perfect nor I intend to be, I gonna screw up every now and then and say something stupid, I'll gladly recognize I was wrong but I'm bound to spout some poorly thought out thing again at some point. Just let it as it is and let me be.

4 years ago

I was just answering your question. I'm not sure if there's some kinda language barrier here, but you seem to be taking this as hostile?
That really, honestly isn't my intent, and I'm sorry if any of this is coming across like that.

You seem pretty burned out about something so I won't babble at you any more, and let this vanish out of your mind.
Peace <3

4 years ago

Ah yes, the ol' "charity donation to make us look good" move.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Incentive for abhorrent behavior is always good for a free society.

4 years ago

I don't think that disliking a game / its developer for the appearance of content that appears prejudicial to those the slurs are aimed at, is going reasonably influence the downfall of the modern west, Chaotikizm.

4 years ago

Pretty much, yeah.

4 years ago

On the bright side, it doesn't matter where the money's coming from or why to the people it will help.

4 years ago

For sure, but it still doesn't change mentalities, and judging from the comments on this thread that won't come any time soon.

4 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOiQgleiRtU

Wise words from a wise man that is applicable in this situation, too.
There are some people who are very vocal about things, they don't like.
And others indulging them is making this a bigger problem or a problem in the first place.

"All these people are just confused about what's happening (both sides)"
quote from a friend who has identified with different genders in the past.
And now he says there are only 3 genders and everything else is just sexual preference and phantasies.

4 years ago

I'm sure that all of the people who were offended will now purchase the game.

4 years ago

Hmm... no?

4 years ago

whoosh

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

4 years ago

I agree with you and I'm deeply offended by it, so I demmand a copy of the game for free to make me feel better.

4 years ago

Remove resetera from the internet.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

The majority of people are finding this transkids thing outright unacceptable, name calling doesn't change anyone's opnion.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

People have problem with children making hardcore decisions like this and later being pumped with chemicals to stop natural body phenomena.
I guess "bigot" is just something you add to every phrase? Like tourette or something? Or is a otaku thing like "desu".

4 years ago

Man, I really want to go back in time to the 90's Playstation 1 era that no one could review, comment, criticize your opinion about a game only of course your friends and family. But now as a gamer you have to see anyone literally fight over anything over the internet :/

(I must add, I don't condone child Mutilation, that should be consider child abuse and Jail)

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

I'm a white dude in the european west, so my stakes in the modern rights advocacy movement aren't personal, but even I'm glad for the shift in modern advocacy, if only because it slowed the 'good old days' grade of endless "paki" jokes and their various equivilents. Even when I was a little kid I had to grimace-chuckle through them and wish they would give up fixation and move on to something else for once. In my early twenties, previous best buddy of the time proudly stated that if he had a son, he'd rather he die than 'have him turn out gay', and had zero hesitation or in letting that slough out of his mouth.

It's easy for people to look back on 'the good old days' because things were bad enough for various denominations that nobody could reasonably even open their mouth stuff in public discourse without being laughed out of the room or having shit-eating attitudes heaped upon them in response. I mean, yeah, there are definitely regressive tribalistic elements hiding in plain sight within advocacy groups, and they make me sick too, but if the alternate is absolute acceptance of whatever prejudices your culture holds, and the expectation that those in a lesser position should be silent? Yeah, I'll take the lunatic banshee element of "SJWs" any day.

It has always been the attitude that no matter how valid a cause or subject is, if you rock the boat then you default to being the bad guy, just a loud entitled troublemaker who wants more than your fair share. Sorta like how when black people were irked about the whole fountain thing, and daring to observe the subject meant 'they were getting greedy and selfish'. I mean, fuck, it was only five years ago that the States legalised gay marriage despite a hardline constitutional seperation of state and religion. Five years. In the scale of equality policy that's practically yesterday :P

I uh, damn. I don't think I even had a particular direction or reason behind this post. Watching all the usual suspects come out of the woodwork in these threads just turned me into a bit of a salt golem I suppose. Alright, lemme wrap it up with "The good old days were only good because the people we trod on were quiet and didn't say 'ow' so loud". Yeah, that'll do it. :P

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Kids can't drive, can't drink, can't smoke, can't have sex, can't vote, can't watch porn, can't get jobs, can't gamble, can't have tattoos, can't be arrested, but kids can have a sex change operation.

4 years ago

Except that it's virtually impossible to get that when you're under 18 and is a massive slog of constant check-ups, medicals, red tape and such for fully grown adults. Depending on the location, many of the things you list are legally granted at 16. Try again.

4 years ago

So child mutilation thing wasn't real? Woo that's a relief. I though this world was getting worse and worse everyday. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

4 years ago

Well, I mean, there is still circumcision for non-medical reasons, which falls into that category. But that's not related to trans issues.

4 years ago

(I must add, I don't condone child Mutilation, that should be consider child abuse and Jail)

Neither do mainstream pro-trans organizations. They advocate for acceptance and counseling which, contrary to popular depictions, is about helping the child healthily come to their own conclusions regarding gender. If their conclusion is that they are not trans, no harm was done, unless you count learning your family loves you unconditionally is harmful.

Also, puberty blockers, if administrated, do just that: they block puberty, but if a child comes to the conclusion that they aren't trans, merely stopping them will lead to puberty happening as originally scheduled.

4 years ago

Really? You can just go trough puberty at any point?

4 years ago

Also, puberty blockers, if administrated, do just that: they block puberty, but if a child comes to the conclusion that they aren't trans, merely stopping them will lead to puberty happening as originally scheduled.

I didn't really know much about this, so I've been looking at a study right now, which is cited by a fair few transgender resource pages. Link. Right now all signs point to the fact that we can't be sure. That this is still very much just uncharted territory. That it seems that they are probably alright, but the efficacy is still strongly in question.

Maybe you can bring a few studies to back up your claim here because you're giving definitive statements on something that doesn't seem to be definitive yet.

4 years ago

Kids can't drive, can't drink, can't smoke, can't have sex, can't vote, can't watch porn, can't get jobs, can't gamble, can't have tattoos, can't be arrested, but kids can have a sex change operation.

4 years ago

Except that it's virtually impossible to get that when you're under 18 and is a massive slog of constant check-ups, medicals, red tape and such for fully grown adults. Depending on the location, many of the things you list are legally granted at 16. Try again.

4 years ago

So child mutilation thing wasn't real? Woo that's a relief. I though this world was getting worse and worse everyday. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

4 years ago

Honestly, maybe I'm missing something here, but it's not like what they're saying is exactly the worst thing. Is it now offensive to say that you shouldn't decide your child is trans when they're a child and not even a teen? It wouldn't be the first time that parents start treating their child as the opposite gender at like 8 years old because they like stuff from the opposite gender.
Or that you shouldn't have life-altering optional (it's not critical for your life like a heart transplant, a necessary amputation or something like that) surgery before you've done your most to fix your mental state?

These things are basic ways to be cautious. Just like you shouldn't get plastic surgery when you're depressed since you might be doing it because of having a mental issue skew your perception of your own looks.

I'm obviously missing something here because it seems to me that people are angry that a person said "A child isn't intellectually, mentally and physically developed enough to make life-altering decisions."

Yet people still give the game negative review, because they removed the offensive stuff and caved in, no matter what decision they made they seemingly couldn't do anything right anymore after that?

With any situation, what's done is done. Not only with this, but with any controversy. You can try and remedy that, but people also have the right to say that just burying it isn't always enough. You can try and earn your redemption, but all of your actions can be judged and a check to a charity doesn't change what you've done.
But here, I'm still confused about the entire thing.

4 years ago

I think these social movements are scared of reproving any crazy behaviour, the way is always forward and there is no time for any pushbacks,

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Yes, quality posting is going around copy pasting "transphobic, homophobic, bigot, right wing".

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

So all day every day you repeat the same stuff like a robot?
English is not my first language so i dont go on large rants about stuff.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago*

...yo, being politically leaning towards a certain axis on the compass doesn't mean that you're anti or pro-LGBT immediately.

What kind of an activist is so ignorant of these things...? You'll literally never reach a positive solution if that's how dismissive you are. Maybe you're genuinely against the LGBT. If so, then you're doing everything to erode the cause though. :/

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Good be a good activist and go and do your stuff.
Pro tip: no one cares.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

is this the only take away you have from this whole thing?

... I took away literally what's been presented. The quotes.

What "right wing fantasy story" was in those two quotes that were presented? You say "more vague hit and run comments from you", yet this is the classic example of a hit and run comment. Throw a random sentence that says "Lol nah, this evil" and then you just run. Follow your own advice and actually start saying something because I'd be interested in hearing other perspectives.

Also, that video's over an hour long. It's a bit much to expect people to just go watch a random video that's over an hour long which is just connected to a comment that seems to just be trolling.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

I'll take your word for it and put the video on the backburner.

It is probably a good assumption on my part thou that you enter this thread argueing in favour of the the hateful stuff that was quoted from them and that this is the thing you want to keep discussing

This is literally the worst thing you can do though. Assuming the worst out of people will just lead you to seeming extremely unreasonable. You literally have people prereacting to your comment because they've seen you kneejerk into thinking that people are anti-LGBT.

It is obvious the JC fellow is a troll and the fact you can't see why I am responding to him this way tells me you are argueing in bad faith.

That's not how arguments work though. Disagreeing or asking for extra information isn't bad faith. People just want to learn. You can discuss shit with people without labelling them and demonizing them.

People like you are literally the only reason I even pivoted to the right as much as I did a while back. Luckily I've normalized course a lot, but you're not doing anyone any favours other than those that you claim to be against.

You're not better than anyone else. You might call yourself an activist, but you act like a demagogue. You act like Donald Trump during a debate. A lot of negaitivity and hot air and no substance here.

Fuck, it's frustrating how someone can claim to be an activist for something that has the potential to help millions of lives and yet you also do your hardest to make sure that no one learns and that your side gets stereotyped to oblivion. Why do you act in a way that's so anti-LGBT?

You exposed yourself already

The world isn't just full of "gotchas". What have I even exposed myself as? You're so hateful towards others while also purposefully trying to damage LGBT causes. It's shameful.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago*

I will;l take this opportunity to sum up your whole post as bs because this never happens.

Like, seriously, again? Dude, please, what do you gain out of this? No, you obviously have a lot to gain, but what does the LGBT community gain from it? Nothing. They only lose. You're acting like the strawmen that anti-LGBT communities use.

You're willfully ignorant at this point and you are so absolute with your claims that you're literally acting like an extremist. Like some racist nutter who's about to go on a killing spree.

Too much criticism from progressives making you become even more of a shitty person??? Give me a break

Were you to give constructive criticism and information, this wouldn't be my statement. What you're doing isn't criticism. You're hindering discussion. Yeah, if someone's as obstructive as you, odds are people will want to stop talking to you. Fuck, look at everyone else on this thread whether they're for or against what's being said. It's almost always civilized. People bring out points, others counter them and people try to learn.
Yet you "sum up" people's posts without reading them and you think you're being really productive.

You're the most anti-LGBT person I've met in a while. Legitimately. You're the worst type of person they could have because you're not just some crazy fundamentalist that throws a gay person off of a rooftop, which would just kill a person.
Instead, you actively hate the LGBT so much that you hinder as much social progress as possible and do your best to make people dislike your cause.

Good job on being a legitimately harmful human being.

So, for the last time I ask. Why do you hate the LGBT community so much that you'd actually harm them the way you do? What causes you to be so angry all the time that you feel the need to hurt the things you claim to love? It's frustratingly sad to see.
It's even hard to just stop at saying that you hate the LGBT communities. You despise them so much. It's so sad to see.

4 years ago

I just wanted to add here, that as an outside obersver of this discussion, you are being rational and logical. This bordsy person is really doing more damage than good to the cause they are trying to support, because they come off so insane the way they are twisting your words and assuming the worst in everyone. People like this on both sides of the argument don't realise that when they are so aggressive, they just turn people away. Everyone needs to chill, and respect the person they're talking to, and educate their ignorance instead of berating them.

4 years ago

Thanks. It's always a bit of a crapshoot to have conversations like this to begin with. You might come off as offensive even if you don't mean it. And now added is a classic situation of "I'm not sure if you're just completely crazy or if I'm the crazy one because I think you're crazy". So I was a bit doubtful a few moments thinking that maybe it is just that obvious and I wrote "Obama's a lizardman" somewhere.

I tried my best to get more of a response since I genuinely do want to hear different perspectives, but I have a feeling that the point was to sabotage discussion more than anything. :/

4 years ago

This is why I try not to waste my time with virtue signaling toxic SJWs who have zero interest in having an honest discussion, but only looking to discredit and silence those who dare challenge the status quo. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. That's just me, though. You do you. ;)

4 years ago

I like talking to people and it's interesting to hear their ideas and perspectives.

Legit, if the person came back and was a bit more clear and less dismissive, I bet we could have a great conversation. I'm still totally down to hear different ideas, including their's. I'm not too optimistic that it'll happen, but I'm hopeful :)

4 years ago

Same here, except when people are being obviously disingenuous and trying their best to appear to the viewers as the "winner" and not at all trying to understand your arguments and your perspective. If that person actually stops being dismissive and tries having an honest discussion with you after you called them out for it, I'd be extremely surprised. It'd be a respectable move, though. I'd like to see that. :)

4 years ago

Yea, I felt so compelled to tell you that because I was actually in an incredibly similar situation in discord group chat this week. I was being nothing but calm and understanding, and I was berated by like 10 of these people, constantly twisting my words and assuming I was a monster. I kept my composure and kept explaining my self, but they were having none of it. It was genuinely one of the most frustrating discussions I've ever had. But it's good to see there's still some people out there discussing things normally

4 years ago

The best approach is I am what you say, now go away and support like your buddies from ResetEra pedophilia.

4 years ago

The first quote sounds pretty weird, and I wouldn't be surprised by missing context (we're talking about Resetera lol).
I do maintain my stance that the development team / community managers (whoever they were) should have closed or changed the topic instead of getting into it. It's a classic job of a moderator to keep topics under control and unwanted topics out of the community, and they failed at it. Not as horribly in my opinion as it's presented, but it was easily avoidable.

4 years ago

(we're talking about Resetera lol)

I've seen a fair few people criticize them. I don't know of them really, so why are they that bad? :D
Do they take things out of context a lot or are they extremely biased? Sounds like a form of NeoGaf or 4Chan right now.

I do maintain my stance that the development team / community managers (whoever they were) should have closed or changed the topic instead of getting into it. It's a classic job of a moderator to keep topics under control and unwanted topics out of the community, and they failed at it.

Yeah, I'm finding it hard to disagree. I do think that people should have the right to express themselves without being taken out of context. No matter if the person's a public figure or not. But I also think that freedom of speech shouldn't be freedom of consequence. You always have the right to speak, but I think the right to be judged in context is a bit lacking on the internet. But also you should be aware of that fact by now and make your decisions with that knowledge. No one forbids you to not take a stand all the time. It's possible to stay non-partisan with these topics, especially in their roles.

They dug their own grave, but the grave wouldn't be so deep if people weren't such fanatics of shovels. (Top tier garbage metaphor, I know :D)

4 years ago

As far as I know they are very much alike as the NeoGaf bunch.

4 years ago

I got most of my onfo on this from Appabend; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXtJ8_kqO1M
A lot smaller and no political bias like the other you've been linked, should help.

Shortof the story is that ResetEra is insane though.

4 years ago

A lot smaller and no political bias like the other you've been linked, should help.

Appabend's a bit more than even a little biased, but yeah, this definitely actually helped to get information about it, regardless of the actual fluff around it.

Thank you :)

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Sex reassignment therapy is the medical aspect of gender transitioning, that is, modifying one's characteristics to better suit one's gender identity. It can consist of hormone therapy to modify secondary sex characteristics, sex reassignment surgery to alter primary sex characteristics, and other procedures altering appearance, including permanent hair removal for trans women.

Sex reassignment therapy (SRT) is an umbrella term for all medical procedures regarding sex reassignment of both transgender and intersexual people. Sometimes SRT is also called gender reassignment, even though many people consider this term inaccurate as SRT alters physical sexual characteristics to more accurately reflect the individual's psychological/social gender identity, rather than vice versa as is implied by the term "gender reassignment." Most trans people simply call this process transition.

This is what I found what the gender therapy includes. I'm perhaps missing something here, but it definitely adds emphasis towards the physical aspect. Hormone therapy, secondary modifications.

I just want people to be mentally fine before they do anything that's life-altering. So things like this, or any major financial decision or anything that can majorly change your life.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Okay, glad to hear that. It's worrying to see the statistics where after reassignment the suicide rates are still abnormally large. There are issues there I would love for them to actually be fixed.

After looking into it further, I've also seen that in America, some states have clinics that also do therapy, which is important. It's a tough topic.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago*

Yeah, you're right. People don't just kill themselves out of nowhere. There has to be a thing or a combination of things that finally sway them towards choosing that. Like with anything like that, which heavily relies on the mental aspect and social stigmas, it's hard to give definitive answers. But if anything's clear it's that abnormally huge figures like that show that that community needs help and that we should try our best to improve those figures. These things will never reach an absolute zero, but we should do our best to reduce it regardless.
But whether the reason's "being terrorized in society", clinical depression, unrealistic expectations of transitioning, family troubles or a combination of those things, we can never truly say. These things tend to always be multi-faceted.

4 years ago

Multi-faceted? Beep boop. AgendaBot does not compute. Everything in this world is either 1 or 0.

4 years ago

LOL, statistic wise trans people have the same suicidal rate as the Jews from WW2, now tell me that this is because of Society, really now, they are treated the same as WW2 Jews.

Pro tip: this is a gaming site not Reset Era.

4 years ago

Only offends in the USA. Sadly other countries don't give a crap.

4 years ago

Sadly the USA is offended by this. PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINIONS YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH!

4 years ago

I'm in the USA.

4 years ago

Other countries likely give a crap, it's just that the people who are being trodden on know not to say "ow" too loud, lest they draw attention to themselves. Cultural values are a hell of a thing, and for how messy and exaggerated it can end up being, these kinds of modern advocacy are often a good thing.

4 years ago

Sadly as in "Sadly the rest of the world don't mass-shoot each other dead with guns" sadly?
No civilised country cares about this crap. Make of that what you will.

4 years ago

No true scotsman cares what Hassat thinks. Make of that what you will.

4 years ago

The rest of the world does have mass shootings.

4 years ago

It's tough to say these days. In 2015, it was true that the US wasn't leading in mass shootings and in fact was pretty low on the charts compared to expectations. But of course, it's not that simple because mass shootings have been at a massive incline since 2015 and there just aren't any real studies out there that have collected the data properly.
Then comes in the issue of what even qualifies as a mass shooting. The definitions can range from "multiple people" to "4 or more people", some say "indiscriminate" while others don't... "discriminate" (shit-tier pun, I apologize). But the biggest issue with the US is that mass shootings exclude terrorism, which kinda becomes semantics then since like over half the mass shootings are related to domestic terrorism. I personally just don't really see a way to have a definitive answer for it at this point.

4 years ago

That's an entirely different topic. I'll refrain from replying as it's not about what OP is talking about.

4 years ago

Nah yeah, that's reasonable. It's just indulging in a tangent.

4 years ago

Look up his posts in the "Do videogames cause mass-shootings topic."

4 years ago

Explains the bias, yeah. The opinions aren't necessary wrong, but there's some dishonest tactics being used for the argument, which is just arguing in bad faith then. :/

4 years ago

This is a bad joke.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Tons of snowflakes getting offended at the apology and the fact they took action - looks like there's not just one mob involved here ;)

inb4 "but my mob has a right to be morally outraged!"

4 years ago

Exactly. If you are going to PUSH your fucking shit into everyone's face so much, get ready to eat shit once in a while and take it like an adult. -_- These fucking adult children.

4 years ago

I mean, $ fixes everything right? Also they are not wrong.... parents SHOULD NOT be messing with their child's "sexual orientation" no one before puberty knows what the HELL sex is or what they WANT.... LET IT BE!

Also there are only two genders.

4 years ago

Hey, speak "two equal genders" or feminists kill you with their cry. Like Sindel, you know.

View attached image.
4 years ago

Gender has bimodal distribution, but that doesn't mean sole binary states ;P

4 years ago

Gender is binary. You either have one or not [insert strange robotic noise here].

View attached image.
4 years ago

I'm sure there's a joke to be had here about putting a one in a zero, but instead, the idea of programming where the binary is revealed to actually go up to 4 makes me realise how to justify fully sapient AI without slamming the lore with my big "NANOBOTS" stamp.

4 years ago*

idea of programming where the binary is revealed to actually go up to 4

What?

4 years ago

Applying bimodal distribution to binary code, as fresh AI lampshading.

4 years ago

So... we are not talking about practical things? Just some theory? Also tried to google anything about it and found nothing - If you have some source to share - please do :) I like random knowledge like that.

4 years ago

Nah, fiction.
Disregard me, I haven't slept in about 24 hours so I'm probably sloppy on the details, haha.

4 years ago

Now I'm disappointed :)

View attached image.
4 years ago

Use quantum physics where 0 is also 1 at the same time.

4 years ago

Definitely a 'damned if you...' situation. Do nothing and lose the support of those who found it offensive, or make reparations and lose the support of those who thought they weren't in the wrong.

I'm honestly just surprised that people talking on behalf of their businesses somehow don't know not to engage in controversial, unrelated topics :|

4 years ago

The interesting point is however is the "offensive" party is not clients, while the "fine" part is your clientele.
So from a business-side it seems an easy choice, yet as of late so many companies throw their actual users under the bus for people who don't consume. Once again here.
It's weird.

4 years ago

Yeah, definitely. I don't think most people playing a game like Ion Fury are uh, traditionally the type to find those things offensive :P

4 years ago

Shame to Voidpoint. Not because they made sexist and transphobic statements, but because they apologized.

4 years ago

So basically someone had an unbridled opinion about a very uninformed news piece and other people that might be just as uninformed had a different opinion. To fix the affront they took the easy way out by giving money to a good cause, thus learning nothing about the actual issue but instead learning about political correctness in a public setting.
That was a good video borsdy posted, quite long and I didn't care for the visuals, but the research seemed solid.

4 years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXtJ8_kqO1M

ResetEra, ruining everything. They really shouldn't apologize to these weirdo's.
And thus... off my wishlist it goes. They definitely picked the wrong option, supporting non-clients over their actual players.

4 years ago*

Interesting video, I just learned about it and had no idead what was going on. It's so sick what this kind of people can do, I mean, look at that guy going through most of the devs' tweets to find something he liked in 2016 just to get offended by it. Does this people have nothing better to do? And I agree with you, they should just ignore this overdramatic snowflakes.

4 years ago

Voidpoint will institute a zero-tolerance policy for this type of language and all employees and contractors will undergo mandatory sensitivity training

Mandatory brainwashing, how progressive! Wrongthink, Thoughtcrime... they're all becoming real. Morons read 1984 and thought it was an instruction manual rather than something to be careful not to become, good job.

3D Realms has taken pride empowering marginalized groups

Except wrongthinkers, obviously

4 years ago*

3D Realms has taken pride empowering marginalized groups

Giving Wang a katana counts as taking "empowering marginalized groups" to its literal sense :D

4 years ago

I dunno if "don't make 'fag' jokes in a public release" and "don't get into hot rights topics on official business territory" really constitutes brainwashing.

4 years ago

I doubt that "sensitivity training" consists in just that on-liner. Seems a bit short for a proper training

4 years ago

So, because the training course isn't a summary of two one-liners from a gaming forum, it must be reasonable to assume brainwashing?

C'mon.

4 years ago

When you forbid people to think what you define as bad thoughts, there aren't many other options than brainwashing. But perhaps you'd like to enlighten me about those alternative methods instead of playing passive-aggressive?

4 years ago

Sensitivity training has nothing to do with forbidding you the ability to think things, but it has everything to do with reminding you not to act on certain impulses during company work hours. How exactly did you come to the conclusion that this was an alt version of gay conversion therapy, exactly? Do you really think sensitivity training is an interrogation scene with angry SJWs pulling a bad-cop/bad-cop or drill sarg routine? Or perhaps classroom full of 'disobedient unhappy citizens' being forced to chant an affirmation mantra while staring at the animated gif of a hypno-swirl? :P

Sensitivity training is (or at least, should be) the equivalent of typical training-day courses for customer service staff that deal with complaints over the phone. Stuff like how to hold your temper, how to deal with specific personality types, how to direct conversation to the core subject and away from endless petty tangental annoyances. Only in this case it's how to avoid stepping on landmines, and where to draw or skirt the line on personal opinion where it has little or no bearing in the job, and the comprehension that the workplace isn't just one straight-line demographic so off-hand negative remarks will occasoinally strike home on someone within earshot. It's no more 'brainwashing' than if you get signed on for a training-day thing on sexual harassment, which is similarly things like "don't openly remark on your colleague having a nice ass" and "even if you assume it'll be taken in good humour, don't risk it while you're on the clock". You don't have to agree to be totally silent on every current political subject, but just as you shouldn't sit referring to trans individuals as mentally unstable (even individually) in the public aspect of your workplace, you also shouldn't do the same for things like calling any religious person deluded, or any sexuality perverted. Some shit you just do not do on work hours.

Oh and you'll have to excuse the lapses into passive-aggression, I'm one of these weird people that sometimes likes to match my tone to that of the original post. You know, where you went off on hyperbole appeal to the crowd asserting that it's dystopian to give staff who interact with the public a brief on "Hey maybe don't jump on divisive subjects as the anti-advocate position when it can come bite us in the ass". The implication that standing up against what has been a long-term derision is in fact a pathway to dystopia sets a certain tone, and I don't believe you're really oblivious to that fact. What you were doing was an extension of the "free speech!" and "censorship!" alarmism, you know, where someone is asked to leave from a privately owned commercial property because they're causing a fuss, and suddenly certain onlookers are talking about the constitution and the right to say whatever they want (regardless of the obvious matters of location, situation and any prejudicial content).

Unless your rights are being reasonably being infringed upon, most people know not to belch this kind of shit out while you're on the clock. You can think whatever you damn well please inside the confines of your sovereign headspace, but the moment those thoughts leave your head as thoughts or as actions, that's where you become subject to the moderation of society depending on the shape they take, and where you chose to deploy them. In this case, the workplace, and either as disingenuous talking points or as kneejerk remarks on non-researched subject (if regarding the Luna situation, which turned out to be a constructed slander-piece that many people ate up, the staunch left included), then yeah, you done fucked up.

If an individual employer takes 'sensitivity training' and launches it squarely down a slippery slope? Then yeah, that would be verging on dystopian brainwashing and that company would deserve due scrutiny. Absolutely. Only right now, all we have is your total speculation and projection, which is a weird first-line default in reaction to someone being held accountable for an unwise demonstration of workplace ethic.

4 years ago*

Can someone explain to me why "if you’re trying to decide your child is trans at birth you have mental problems and probably shouldn’t be a parent" is transhomophobic?

4 years ago*

It isn't by any means. Perfectly valid statement.

4 years ago

Because trances feel their inferiority and therefore sharply react to any, even made-up, allusion to it from other people

4 years ago

why would he pull that random example other than to build up his stance against Transexuality?
How do you even initiate that conversation on a game related channel?

Like most people who like 3D Realms or these kinds of games, i don't find myself offended
but you can't tell me this dude wasn't ready to share a series of un informed remarks.
At the end of the day. i just want to play the game, not make friends with its developer, so...

4 years ago

"why would he pull that random example other than to build up his stance against Transexuality?"
I don't know because I can not see the context. Did he build up his stance?

I don't want to defend any people who discriminate people because of anything but I just don't get why this first term is called transhomophobic.

4 years ago

On its own it isnt. But its not enough to validate your point on a broad topic.
I just think in general, what he wrote shows a very uninformed opinion on the matter.
maybe other people will correct me, but i don't think his first sentence shows an actual risk, it doesnt seem something that the community wants to fight for
So no...there is nothing disagreeable with "Yeah if you’re trying to decide your child is trans at birth you have mental problems and probably shouldn’t be a parent"

keep in mind im not defending the outrage for it either. But i would rather this not be discussed on their discord.
media doesn't help either, because they present these comments out of context

4 years ago*

The statement itself isn't objectionable on its own if you accept the context was directly salient to a subject. However if it was delivered as a typical one-liner of judgement upon a strawman, it takes on a drastically different light. Just as there is a chap elsewhere in this thread that dropped a "kids can't drink booze, gamble, vote or have sex, but they can have sex changes!", or a few comments up on this chain of comments was a reply "Because trances feel their inferiority and therefore sharply react to any, even made-up, allusion to it from other people". Some remarks are disingenuous and have the sole aim of mocking or devaluing a marginalised group and/or their supporters based only on ones pre-established opinions / biases, and with little to no regard for base empathy and the origin of any emotional investment or defensive outbursts their targetted group may ahve.

Yes, we lack context, however, the cluster of remarks and then the attempts at 'fag' jokes that made it into the game paint a certain unflattering picture, hence why there was an angry response, and it is seen as a red flag indicating prejudice and not just a lucid remark on an immediate topic they were discussing in full. To top it off, it was done by someone active as representative of their company (while you wear the name-badge and you're on the shop floor, you're not John Smith, you're the company itself).

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.