At the end of the year I scrolled through my review list and was quite surprised to see, how many wonderful games I played this year. Despite being limited in my time, there were still more games, than I expected. And I decided to make a personal top 5 list of the games I played this year:

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  2. Mutant Year Zero
  3. Wandersong
  4. Cat Quest
  5. Silence

This list also proofs, that I tend to play other games and hardly ever get a game right when it comes out (MYZ was the absolute exception, which I played beginning of 2019 right when it came out).

Other games I had a lot of fun with and should be honorable mentions are the following titles (ordered by alphabet): Broforce, Eternal Senia, Hard West, Her Story, Maize, Open Sorcery, Rime, State of Mind, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Thomas was alone and Tomb Raider.

There were also two big disappointments: Shadow of War was a very tedious grinding experience which ruined the title for me. And Sherlock Holmes - The Devils Daugher in the end just had too many flaws.

So now the question of course stands: Which were your Top 5 of 2019? Which were your biggest disappointments?

Also: Of course there is a GA and what would be better suited than my best gaming experience of the last year? So answer a (really easy) question to gain access to the GA by clicking here!

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Doom 2016
The Messenger
Dishonored 2 (and Death of the Outsider)

and that's pretty much it. I've not been playing that much this past year it seems. At least, not many really memorable titles.

There's also Shadow Warrior 2, which I certainly enjoyed and would recommend, but which isn't great enough to be top 5 material

4 years ago

Doom 2016 is not Doom 2019, you cant choose that. Smae goes for the other 3. (by the way, its Doom 4, not Doom 2016)

4 years ago

Literally none of the games mentioned in the OP are from this year.

4 years ago

Artuurs seems to have difficulty reading and comprehending words today.
Or perhaps they started the New Years party a tad too early...

4 years ago

funnily enough the games they put aren't even 2019 either but everyone else is in the wrong for putting non 2019 games just like the op did

4 years ago

"Which were your top 5 games that you played in 2019"
dont see "released" in 2019 anywhere

4 years ago

Yeah, that's why I chose to ask for the personal gaming experiences. My list would have been rather short with games of 2019 that I played... (0...) 😆. I normaly rather wait for games to get cheaper or have all the DLCs.
And also: I think it's much more interesting this way. "Best of 2019"-lists are everywhere. But really seing what the community actually played is very intersting and I really like to dig through all the interesting titles and some of the good experiences (especially with old classics) encourage me to maybe fill one of those gaps in my gaming history as well.

4 years ago

I've played like 2 games from 2019 that I can remember, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Untitled Goose Game, and I still need to finish playing them.
Here's my top five, no order:

• Tales of Berseria
  • Squidlit
  • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
  • Minit
  • Cheeky Chooks

Honorable Mentions:

• System Shock 2
  • Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
  • Dark Souls III
4 years ago

top 5 games i played for the first time this year, in no particular order

observer (surprised me.. phenominal visual design and my kind of atmosphere, with an involving and interesting plot)
plague tale
prey
evil within 2 (had a rediculous amount of fun with this)
control (remedy still cant do boss fights, and making it semi-open world was a bad idea, but i loved the story and atmosphere)

4 years ago

Did evil within & prey came out this year? Doesnt feel like it.

4 years ago

Good thing that the thread is not about games which were released this year then.

4 years ago

Yes it is.

4 years ago

Look kids, this is why drugs are bad for you.

4 years ago

Risk of Rain 2
Return of the Obra Dinn
Slay the Spire
Enter the Gungeon
Dandara

all are pretty innovative

4 years ago

Return of Obra Dinn I will buy these days (during the sale) and surely play next year. I really look forward to that one.

4 years ago

it's something else for sure

4 years ago

Dont think enter the gungeon came out this year mate.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Played and finished a bunch but I believe these are the best I could remember:

1) Assassin's Creed Odyssey
2) Remnant: From the Ashes
3) The Outer Worlds
4) Yakuza 0
5) Hades

4 years ago

Godhood, Chinese parents, SKYHILL, Rimworld, A plague tale: innocence
My biggest disappointment still Guild 3, like in 2017.

4 years ago

omg, SKYHILL is one the worse games I played ever

4 years ago

I like it =)

4 years ago

it's as shallow, as rimworld deep))

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

I like it too! Wonder how will the second game look like. o.o
So happy to see Godhood!! :3

4 years ago

Godhood it's really amazing game! In this year it's the best new game for me =))

4 years ago

Thats a 2017 game or older, should not be mentioned here.

4 years ago

Go back to sleep matey boy.
Under your bridge.
There's a cold, empty space there, missing you.

4 years ago

Sure, let us do this! :D

This was a good year, I played about 80 games (so far!). My top 5 would be:

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
  2. Baba is You
  3. The Invisible Hours
  4. Frostpunk
  5. One Small Fire at a Time
    Honorable mentions? Sure, I can just continue the list:
  6. Guacamelee
  7. Last Day of June
  8. Rime
  9. Forza Horizon 4
  10. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
  11. Slay the Spire
  12. Alan Wake
  13. Memoria
  14. Roundabout
  15. Yoku's Island Express
  16. Oxenfree

Interesting side fact: I only bought #1, #6 and #12 in this list. Games #9 and #11 were in that free 1 month "Xbox PC Game Pass", and all others were won here at Steamgifts! Thank you so much, folks, your kindness provided me with top entertainment! :D

Disappointments? Crazy Machines Elements was a lot worse than the old Crazy Machine games... And Beholder left me quite cold.

4 years ago*

Those are not 2019 games mate.

4 years ago

Yes, I rarely play games the year they are released... The only 2019 games I played and finished were "Baba is You", "Slay the Spire" and, well, "Pawnbarian", if you want to be a little obscure.

But... you do realize that the topic was "Top games you played in 2019", right? Like, that is the topic title. :D

Cheers, and have a good 2020! :D

4 years ago*

Neither is OP's Rise of the Tomb Raider. The thread is about the games we played in 2019, not games we played that came out in 2019 ;)

Edit: I just read the entire thread and saw the extent of your spamming. Mate, you need some fresh air.

4 years ago*

Seeing Silence warms my hearth...

4 years ago

Yeah, I finally got around to play that one and I didn't regret it 😄

4 years ago

I just wished i played the first game tho. It references to the first game way too much and it is hard to call it separate game.

4 years ago

Yeah, fortunately I did play Whispered World the year before, so I knew the backround of the story. But I totally understand, that it isn't half as good, if you didn't.

4 years ago

My top five this year:

1. Dragon Quest XI
  2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (just the demo, but it's huge and extremely good!)
  3. GNOG
  4. Forgotton Anne
  5. Rabisco
4 years ago

EEEEEH FELLOW DQ FAN :D

4 years ago

Decided to give the series another shot after getting lost and frustrated somewhere in DQ8 and they got me, 11's so good T_T I also played and loved DQ4 this year, and have since started 5 and 8 again (but got a little burned out and have been playing other stuff before I go back).

4 years ago

I'm a long term fan, since NES DW2 :]

4 years ago

Ooh haven't heard of Rabisco before but the trailer immediately had me sold. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

4 years ago

It's not super long, but it's just such a comfortable and clever little game. I had a big smile on my face the whole time I was playing it.

4 years ago

In alphabetical order the top 5 were the following:

Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth
Mad Max
Moonlighter
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
Yakuza 0

My biggest disappointment was Katana Zero. It was just too flashy and colorful for me.

4 years ago

You got something wrong there man, those are not 2019 games.

4 years ago

Rising Storm 2, like every year...
Dead by Daylight, it's trash but I got addicted
Insurgency:Sandstorm, War of Rights, Squad, Foxhole?... uhh I play all the milsims
Due Process Alpha build
Black Future 88 probably the only game I played that released in 2019 despite playing the beta since 2018 :/

4 years ago*

First off, those are not 2019 games, secondly, DbD is trash, yes, its very bad for you.

4 years ago

You probably misread something. The thread is about games we played in 2019 and not necesarrily the ones that also came out this year.

4 years ago

Yes it is. Notice the topic creator listed only 2019 games, giving an example of what he means. He also specifies 2019, not just any games. But whatever. You can mention anything you want ofcourse, free country and all that american stuff.

4 years ago

Ok. Whatever.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 2015
Mutant Year Zero 2018
Wandersong 2018
Cat Quest 2017
Silence 2016

4 years ago

Wow, I really admire your effort to "correct" that many users without even thinking twice if it's maybe you, who misunderstood something.
As pointed out by others, my games all weren't from 2019 (i don't even think any of the honourable mentions are), because I rarely play games right after they come out. And there are enough "best of 2019" lists around so it was and is much more interesting to see all the beautiful games played last year and seeing how much fun some great classics still are. Just proofs the fact, that you don't need "the new stuff" to have fun.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

Dragon Quest 11
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Neverwinter Nights 1
Journey
Borderlands 3

Honorable Mention Program : Wallpaper Engine, cause I still refuse to shut it off.

4 years ago

In no particular order
Yakuza 0
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
Dark Souls III
Sonic Mania
Va-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action

4 years ago

I think you misread the title buddy, these are supposed to be 2019 games, not i pick my year games. Just to correct you.

4 years ago

So you're saying that he's wrong too, given that he put Rise of the Tomb Raider, yeah?
Also, he literally said "And I decided to make a personal top 5 list of the games I played this year:", what does that mean in your head?
And the thread is called "Which were your top 5 games that you played in 2019?"

If you wanna make a thread on "the best games of 2019" go ahead, but you sould respect the topic of the thread you're in.

I mean, you can be dumb if you want, but that's you, dont bother anyone else

Happy holidays, "buddy".

4 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

4 years ago

Hes not asking for your all time games mate, hes asking for your 2019 games, games that came out this year and you played them.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

The best ones I've played are:

Slay the Spire
Armello
Glass Masquerade 2.

I haven't played a whole lot of games this year, to be honest, but those 3 stand out among those that I have played.

4 years ago

1. Dishonored 2
  2. Tales from the Borderlands
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man
  4. Dragon Quest Builders 2*
  5. Borderlands: Pre-Sequel

*Only made it to the third island in DQB2 so far, but based on that, it deserves top 5

4 years ago

You got it wrong mate, its supposed to be 2019 games here.

4 years ago

Well, he specified games "played in 2019", not games "from 2019", so that's what I listed. Otherwise only DQBuilders 2 would be up there, as that is the only game from this year that I played.

4 years ago

These are the games I liked playing most this year:

1. Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
  2. Samorost 3
  3. Pillars of Eternity
  4. Disco Elysium (ongoing, but shaping up nicely)
  5. Forgotton Anne
4 years ago

Am always happy to see Forgotton Anne getting some love! Need to check out Masquerada still, the art style is delightful - was hoping the combat is fun to play.

4 years ago

It was the first time playing real time with pause for me and it took a while to get used to it. I've grown to like it in the end, it was not very hard, and kept enjoying the diversion from exploring and diving into the lore of the game - which was utterly amazing. This game is a gem. Superb in every aspects: world building, characters were interesting and fully voiced, story was deep and immersing. I loved this the most out of all the games I played this year. Highly recommend it.

4 years ago

I was intimidated by the pausing ngl, so am happy to hear it's not too difficult to grasp. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts, will definitely put it higher up on my radar. :) Am always on board for more immersive, character heavy games.

4 years ago

• HITMAN 2
  • AC Odyssey & Origins

And thanks to Origin Access Basic:

• Vampyr
  • Tropico 6
  • Frostpunk

The more I think about it I realize despite the financial difficulties 2019 has been one of the richest (if not the richest) gaming year for me and sticking to just 5 games is not doing it justice
Dishonored 2 & DotO / Prey / both Bioshock Remastered games / Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice / Tropico 4 / SoulCalibur VI
All the indie gems included in Origin Access Basic and I even was fortunate enough to get some of them again on Steam during this same year 2019
Anthem (despite the insane technical issues) / rekindling the old memories of Fifa games / I got to play the entire fantastic Dragon Age series for the first time for crying out loud
Many more my memory is failing me but ..

For me 2019 has been a blast gaming wise
Even here on SG, I did register 5 years ago but only has been active since Nov/Dec 2018 so the whole of 2019

4 years ago*

How was Vampyr? I heard some mixed reviews on it, but that was awhile ago.

4 years ago

Combat could have used some polish, add to that the game makes the combat a lot harder the more you are under-leveled against the enemy AI
Major xp source is going vampire on npcs and if you resist that you won't level that much (you can still level from side quests and such but won't take you that high)

Also to increase the amount of xp you would get from going vampire on a npc is by getting to know them, and the more I know them the harder for me -emotionally- to stab them in the back like that.

Also yeah sadly the game has no fast travel.

4 years ago

Ouch lol I The exp from going after NPCs is interesting, but I know Id just feel bad xD Sounds interesting though overall. Thanks :)

4 years ago

It's hard for me to remember what I played this year specifically. Too many games to get through all the time. But here goes, in no particular order:

1. Dujanah Beautiful, surreal writing, even if the gameplay got really frustrating and weird at times. One of the best portraits of grief I've seen in any medium.
  2. Marvin's Mittens The least cynical-feeling game I have played in ages. Doesn't look like much, but it's a delight.
  3. Ossuary More excellent writing, for all its oddities, and the mechanic of passing on sins to progress is quite neat.
  4. Technobabylon This is what I want from my Wadjet Eye games. Tidy writing, from front to back, with great characters. I liked this way better than Primordia. (Jury's out on Unavowed since I'm playing that right now.)
  5. Unrest It's so strange to me that this gets bad reviews. It's got a complex fantasy world, both in terms of really cool cultural backdrops (seriously, when's the last time you played anything in fantastical India?), and in terms of navigating politics and society as different characters. Excellent moral greys, and probably the best dialogue system I've ever seen.

This is a very indie sort of list, but so be it.

4 years ago*

Only 5? It's hard to narrow it down that much! 😅

Let's see...

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • My Time at Portia
  • The Outer Worlds (Completely free, cheers Microsoft!)

But I also really enjoyed A Short Hike, Assassin's Creed Origins, Baldur's Gate 1+2, Chrono Trigger, Forgotton Anne, Spyro and XCOM 2 as well as playing Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles with my 6 year old niece 😊

The only disappointment was Monster Hunter World, I just couldn't get into it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 years ago

i aint gonna order them

Cave Story
Slay the Spire
Yokus Island Express
Celeste
Return of the Obra Dinn

4 years ago

Pretty sure Cave Story didnt come out this year mate.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Stalker nor Undertale came out this year, you need to try again.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

1. Pillars of Eternity
    • I used to hate story-driven RPGs with deep stat-and-skill customization until I played this game. Granted, I played it on the easiest difficulty but that doesn't diminish the rich story it has which I just soaked in. That's probably why I ended up playing it for way too long even on the easiest difficulty. I'll probably play it again when I have more time to dedicate to hunt the achievements (upon reading some, they appear to be pretty brutally unforgiving for an ARPG noob like me).
  2. Spyro - Reignited Trilogy
    • Upon playing through all 3 games, I realized that I never actually finished Spyro 3 back when I was a kid. Now, almost 2 decades later, I finally did.
  3. Satellite Reign
    • I love games where stealth is an option but isn't completely necessary.
  4. System Shock: Enhanced Edition
    • My first SG win. It took me a while to get used to the controls (even with mouselook it was still pretty hard) but it grew on me and I just got mesmerized and lost in the sprawling world made almost 3 decades ago but is better than the level design and depth of most games today.
  5. Dex
    • I don't like 2D that much so it was a surprise that I liked this. The combat left much to be desired but the story and all the side quests were great.

These are all SG wins since I am a cheapskate rarely buy games for myself.

4 years ago

Theres no way Sattelite Reign, nor SSEE came out this year.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 weeks ago.

4 years ago

Those are definetly not 2019 games matey boy.

4 years ago

I know. reading is tough some days.

"Which were your top 5 games that you played in 2019?"

Not ":Which games that came out in 2019 were your top 5 games?".

Go back under your bridge, "matey boy".

4 years ago

My 5 top loves for 2019 (some of which I have committed, long-term relationships with, some of which were joyful, passing flings):

The Long Dark
Grim Dawn
Control
Lost Ember
Book of Demons

My biggest disappointment:

Fallout 4

(Not because the game is bad, but because of what I had to go through to get it to run, at all, on a rig running an i9 9900K and a 2060 RTX Super, and still got slideshow fps and crashing, after following a bunch of guides and recommendations on how to alter settings and .ini files). Really bummed me out. My old toaster was too weak to run it, my new rig is too powerful, and FO4 refuses to acknowledge my new HW even exists.

4 years ago

I know for a fact that grim dawn, the long dark, didnt come out this year, same goes to fallout 4. And yes, the game is bad.

4 years ago

They didn't ask for only games that came out this year.
Read the title and the topic again.

"Which were your top 5 games that you played in 2019?"

These were my top 5 games. that I played in 2019.

Reading comprehension a bit tough for you today?

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.