The unique guide for similar games is now open for everyone: SteamPeek

• Search for what you like: a specific game like Civilization, Grim Dawn or use tags like City Builder or Hack and Slash
  • Check the results, watch the videos - you can even change the order of the games by relevance or rating
  • Jump to your favorite store and have fun!

The main goal is to:

• find games by similarity and/or tags with a few clicks
  • make it easier to find trending, quality indie gems
  • use a more advanced and balanced rating system to calculate userscore and feedback

Available features:

More features:

1. integration with IsThereAnyDeal.com:
    • you can see prices
    • current deals
  2. you can now filter out games by tags:
  3. unique rating calculation

The site is up and running, but still in beta so we need as much feedback as possible: send email or Tweet us. We will try to answer to everybody, and working on more features :)

Have fun!
SteamPeek.hu Staff

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

How do you like SteamPeek beta?

View Results
Perfect: great recommendations, easy to use
Cool: very good search results, needs more features like...
Nice: good idea, but I miss...
Not bad: good for a beta, but it needs...
Meh: it really needs more work, because...

It would be great if I could filter out games based on tags (example: I want to find Anime games, but I want to hide all the VNs from the results).

5 years ago

So you think about adding "minus" tags to the search next the "positive" ones?

5 years ago

Exactly

5 years ago

Good idea, added to the TODO list. Thank you!

5 years ago

It was the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the site and tried to think of what it could be missing. Having the option to filter out (exclude) tags would be great.
Other than that, great job and congrats to the team behind SteamPeek.

5 years ago

Thank you for the nice words! :) This feature request is climbing very fast towards the top on the TODO list.

5 years ago

Agreed

5 years ago

+1
Look at isthereanydeal.com for an example.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

It is requested, it is done! :) Now you can add any number minus tags to the search.

5 years ago

What would be the preferred result - like with a classic example Match 3 games minus Mature Content:

• give them a lower ranking, but still show them? OR
  • completely remove those and show more related games instead?
5 years ago

There were many questions about the math behind the recommendation engine. I plan to write a post about it, but until then you can:

Compare the recommendations:

What do you think?

5 years ago

A slight update :)

• better ranking - indie games got a boost
  • faster loading speed
  • fresh design
5 years ago

A sneaky pre-may update - you all asked for it so here it is: you can now filter out games by tags on SteamPeek!

I hope you'll find it cool ;)

Also we now have an RSS for trending games and a Twitter channel

As usual all feedback is welcome! :)

5 years ago

First update in May on SteamPeek

• better quality featured results on the homepage
  • slightly improved search algorithm giving more related results
  • context menu for tags for easy adding or excluding

Also I like to thank everyone contributing on email and Twitter :)

5 years ago

Added some transparency about how the recommending system works: now you can see next to every search result

• the base Similarity score: calculated by tag relevancy
  • the final score: which is the base score slightly adjusted with two internal bonuses for the game

Like here: http://steampeek.hu/?appid=214340

5 years ago

Now we have integration with IsThereAnyDeal.com - like this: http://steampeek.hu/?appid=2400

• you can see prices
  • current deals
  • clicking more will take you to the page of the game at ITAD and you can set notification for a better price
5 years ago

Nice site, I dig it. Would be cool to sort the results by score, price, etc.

5 years ago

Thank you. :)

Well I never really thought about the need of other sorting methods beside relevancy. Currently other parameters act as extra modifiers while calculating the final score: you can see those values at the start of the results - the raw similarity score and the final score which is the raw score modified with different "bonuses".

But it can be interesting: what matters more if you search for a similar game: relevancy, price, user's rating? I'll surely think about it.

5 years ago

I like what I see of it so far. The site is very clean, recommendations are great from the searches I've tried; although I searched for Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1, and some games with the same characters, by the same developers/publishers, are recommended below games that are not. Definitely not a big deal, just something I noticed.

Something that is a little bothersome is that the prices listed under the recommendations end at a certain point.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Thank you for the nice words! :)

Could you be more specific with your finding? I'm not sure that I understand it right.

Yes, the prices are from IsThereAnyDeal - I can list many-many games at once, but if I want to show the newest, and actual price and deals, then I have to draw a line somewhere.

5 years ago

Your vote-options are pretty limited. 3 of them are exactly the same. But the site could be good for some folks

5 years ago

Well yes :) I tried to phrase the 1-5 scale, but it seems that it is not perfect. Luckily I'm better with numbers ;)

5 years ago

Great site! I love how the score and tags are clearly visible while getting your search results. The design is also very nice.

I know you're using a cut-and-dried algorithm, but it would be cool if users could also have a vote on how good a suggestion is. I searched like 5 different games I know well and the one game I'd recommend for fans of it would always be a little bit further down because it doesn't share as many tags as another random game that just doesn't have the same feel to it.

Also, what about troll tags? I've seen this game on the frontpage which has 0 horror and absolutely no multiplayer, yet some of the suggestions do because of those tags. It would be cool if we could flag them for you so they could be filtered out.

5 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate your detailed feedback! :)

Voting on how good the results are is a great idea, I have that in my mind since the beginning but couldn't yet find a way to make it both user friendly and hard to abuse. It has to be simple, but I'm not sure about the limitations: one vote per user per query, or max one vote per hour? Until then, if you find strange results just send them in email, tweet it, or just link them here in the comments - I'll check them and thank you in advance.

Handling troll tags is one of my main priorities: in some cases (less trolling) the algorithm already finds a way to ignore them, but unfortunately there are heavily trolled games too, where the results are unpredictable - one of my favorite: http://steampeek.hu/?appid=362930 - there are already some good results, but still many "strange" ones too. This is another reason why I need feedback, to see how my "Anti-Troll-Tag-Technique" is working.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Thanks, that is a nice suggestion, and I will think about it.

5 years ago

To add to that, I would love to be able to filter OUT the games that I DO NOT own. So that the site could suggest only the unplayed games that already are in my library, so I can fire them up right away ;) . Cool site anyway! Lookiing forward to seeing new features being implemented!

5 years ago

Wow, interesting. So you mean you already have a game, but it was forgotten, maybe it was part of a bundle and you haven't tried it - but it is actually a nice gem. I like this! I will surely think about it.

5 years ago

Would be nice if you could filter out other games from the series. If I'm looking for games similar to Tomb Raider, other Tomb Raiders are probably not what i would like to find using search for similar game...

5 years ago

I see, so like other Tomb Raider titles will be most likely the most similar ones - still you just want to skip Tomb Raiders.

For some popular series there are special tags like Lego, Batman and Lara Croft so in this case you can do a search for similar to Tomb Raider excluding the tag Lara Croft, like this: http://steampeek.hu/?appid=203160&tagidex=270 - you can choose tags to include or exclude at the search area or from the context menus at the result apps' tags.

5 years ago

Great work! I love how you can list several games for searching something like them. I've tried several combinations, and all of the suggestions seem spot on.

A feature request: filter by the operating system or at least list the supported operating systems for each game. As a Linux user I would much appreciate not having to open the game's Steam page just to see if I should bother with it. Of course, the majority of gamers don't use anything but Windows so it's probably not going to be a priority.

Another request is filter by a language. Games are great for learning a language, so if I could, for example, ask for good games in Japanese that are somewhat like, say, Terraria and Stardew Valley, I would definitely use that,

5 years ago

Thank you and I'm glad that you like the results! :)

I know that it is possible to get the operating system info, so I think that can be done, but I'm not so sure about languages - I have to look into this.

5 years ago

Updated the main algorithm to show more relevant results even faster than before. :)

5 years ago

Hey, before vising this thread I wrote this on another discussion :)

5 years ago

Recommendations based on your whole Steam library is a really good idea, and it has a great high spot on my todo list. While it is tricky when somebody likes both racing games and ARPG-s it doesn't seem impossible ;)

5 years ago

Why don't you recommend them both :P
BTW what technology stack do you use and is project open source?

5 years ago

Well it is already able to recommend both, but it is not designed that way, it is much better to search for similar games.

Like if you search for multiple similar games, it gives you this: http://steampeek.hu/?appid=41500,219990
If you use this with "sort of" similar games, you get this: http://steampeek.hu/?appid=219990,2270
And if you make a search for totally different games, these are the results: http://steampeek.hu/?appid=233450,219990,17430

It is currently an experiment, a proof of concept for a system that can search for similar items, so the code changes a lot - in short it is not "open source friendly" :)

5 years ago

Would be cool to also be able to filter on and see game features like Achievements and Cloud Saves.
Other than that, neat!

5 years ago

Hey, just updated the site!

• new cleaner design
  • slightly better recommendations
  • faster search results
  • new sidebar to quickly jump to the most rated, most trending or featured game of the search results

Check it out ;) ----> SteamPeek

5 years ago

Check out the updated IsThereAnyDeal game pages with similar games provided through API from http://steampeek.hu - https://isthereanydeal.com/game/citiesskylines/info/

5 years ago

Now you can sort the results by ratings! :)

Leave feedback on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamPeek/

5 years ago

Fixed a nasty bug on the server which was causing really slow page loads for some of you. Thanks for everyone reporting it!

5 years ago

Updated description to summarize all the features.

5 years ago

A filter for linux / mac would be nice.

5 years ago

It is already on the TODO list, +1 vote for it :)

5 years ago

Nice, added bookmark.

5 years ago

Thank you, I hope you'll find some gems! :)

5 years ago

Another feature done from the request list > you can now sort the search results by release date ;)

5 years ago

Added Quick search which makes it more faster to find your favorite games - also shows ratings ;)

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.