A code execution vulnerability in WinRAR generated over a hundred distinct exploits in the first week since its disclosure, and the number of exploits keeps on swelling.

The hackers' interest was probably piqued by the 500 million user base of the file-compression software and that the flaw (CVE-2018-20250) was present on all its versions released over the past 19 years. Furthermore, the reward would be full control over a victim’s system.
McAfee researcher Craig Schmugar reported on Thursday in one recent attack they observed the hackers enticed victims with a bootlegged copy of Ariana Grande's album "Thank U, Next."

The music files would be delivered in an archive file named "Ariana_Grande-thank_u,next(2019)[320].rar." Using a vulnerable version of WinRAR to extract the files, a malicious payload is added to the Windows Startup folder.

The researcher says that most of the targets observed initially were residents of the United States. The company identified more than 100 exploits the week following the vulnerability disclosure, with the number being on the rise.
"User Access Control (UAC) is bypassed, so no alert is displayed to the user. The next time the system restarts, the malware is run," Schmugar explains.

Exploits emerge two days after bug disclosure.
Security researchers from 360 Threat Intelligence Center discovered exploits for the WinRAR used in the wild on February 20, two days after its public disclosure. They were used in phishing attacks that lured with archived pictures or documents.
More recently the Chinese researchers noticed a campaign using documents relating to the United Nations Human Rights to lure victims in the Middle East. The payload was a remote access tool (RAT) currently detected by at least 28 antivirus engines.

CVE-2018-20250 was discovered by Nadav Grossman from Check Point using WinAFL fuzzer. It is an ACE path traversal logical bug in the library 'unacev2.dll' added to WinRAR to extract the old, and now rarely used ACE archive format.
The library code remained unchanged since 2005. Its source code was lost in the meantime, so the maintainers of WinRAR could no longer fix the vulnerable part. Because of this, the solution was to remove support for ACE archives in the first beta of WinRAR 5.70.
However, users can still enjoy ACE support in WinRAR by applying a micropatch specifically created address this issue. The solution is available via the 0Patch platform from ACROS Security.
WinRAR users are advised to use either solution to immunize the program against current exploitation methods.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/over-100-exploits-found-for-19-year-old-winrar-rce-bug/

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Anything older then 5.70 is deemed unsafe.

5 years ago

Does that include 5.70 or is it considered safe?

5 years ago

5.70 is safe.

5 years ago

Meh, I use 7zip.

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

plus1.7z

5 years ago

Yaaaaaaaaaaarp!

5 years ago

+(n+1)

5 years ago

Doesn't always work. There are .zip archives that 7zip can't unpack, but WinRAR can and vice versa. I noticed this at work quite a few times. I really need both.

5 years ago

There are .zip archives that 7zip can't unpack

Are there any .zip archives that Windows Explorer itself can't unpack?

EDIT: or were you using "zip" as a shorthand for all compression formats?

5 years ago

I was taking about the .zip archive format specifically. Of course a *.zip file can be different compression methods. Never bothered to find out under which circumstances WinRAR or 7zip are not able to process a zip file. It doesn't happen too frequently of course. But it has already happened multiple times.

5 years ago

Of course a *.zip file can be different compression methods. Never bothered to find out under which circumstances WinRAR or 7zip are not able to process a zip file.

Okay, I'll take your word on that, but I was asking about it in reference to Windows Explorer's default .zip decompression. In my experience, the only time Windows Explorer couldn't open a ".zip" file was when it was actually a mislabled .rar file as a result of the user misusing WinRAR, which doesn't count (and 7zip opened it just fine). I guess what I'm trying to say is that we don't need WinRAR if Windows Explorer itself covers for everything 7zip doesn't.

5 years ago

Good point, actually. I tend to forget about the fact that the Explorer can also unzip files. Mostly because of the horrible interface. Don't use it at all. I am pretty sure I never tried it in these instances.

5 years ago

19 years sounds also like the last time anyone used .ace for archiving.

5 years ago

Winrar will process any file you feed to it, including ace files with the .rar extension. Which is what the exploits are doing.

Just don't have a false sense of security. You need to uninstall or update if you have Winrar.

5 years ago*

For the exploit to work you would first need to find such archive somewhere, want to download and extract it, so I'll still be safe using Common Sense Suite 2019 no matter which archiver I'm using.

They were used in phishing attacks that lured with archived pictures or documents.

Just say no to spam, easy and simple.

5 years ago

"Common sense" doesn't exist.

A lot of the reason people get rar extractors in the first place is pirated music/shows/etc, and pirated stuff is full of shady files.

5 years ago

It's a super power.

Only because they fail at piracy and get their infected crap from TPB or wherever.

5 years ago

No kidding. Even at its peak usage, basically nobody used ACE.

5 years ago

In like 90's warez it was used occasionally.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

ACE was very common in the WareZ scene in the 90s and it was really good for that time

5 years ago

was about to mention that fact too :)

5 years ago

Thank you for the warning, Lugum!
Everyone--use 7zip instead. (Use the 64-bit version of 7zip if you have a 64-bit computer.)

5 years ago

I think I used it until the mid-2000s. I switched to RAR for a year or two before WinACE became a dead product, and when RAR compression started to become more than a glorified container compared to ACE compression levels. Of course, then I discovered 7zip and LZMA2 that reached up to 50% better sizes than my old RAR archives, and still did not have to switch from that. At least not until someone manages to make ZPAQ viable on consumer grade PCs.

5 years ago

Of course, if one super-compresses .jpg files (or other lossy media), they lose data the more they are compressed. :/

5 years ago

I've tried 7zip, and I just like WinRar better. I want to like and use 7zip, but I just don't like it.

5 years ago

Ah. I can't afford WinRar, so I never used it beyond on the PC of someone who owned it. :D

5 years ago

Well, you could use it for free - it just nags you about it. I got my license from a company I worked for, as they had a 100 user license with only 50 people or so, it seemed fair.

5 years ago

I am more surprised that there is still anyone out there using WinRAR. I cannot name a single thing 7-Zip or PeaZip don't do better for free. Same goes for WinZip, although I haven't heard or seen anyone using that for over half a decade now.

5 years ago

I just use the built in zip extractor in Windows. (I know it can only open .zip though, has worked this far)

5 years ago

We still (not my choice) use WinZip at the office. /facepalm

5 years ago

Oy, that must hurt. I only have to use WinRAR at the client machines, local office went 7Zip years ago.

5 years ago

What's worse, the integrated Windows zip actually worked for a while, but I.T. disabled it because people weren't using WinZip (or maybe some other reason - it was a few years ago).

I'm 7Zip all the way for personal use!

5 years ago

Some compression / decompression software tries to use a DLL in a specific folder of a personal computer and work.
Therefore, if a vulnerable DLL exists in a personal computer, an unfortunate event may occur.

By the way, 7zip has a similar problem last summer.
NVD - CVE-2018-10115 https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2018-10115
Are you using the latest version?

Probably all right?

5 years ago

Good points. I generally update everything whenever prompted.

5 years ago

I have WinRAR since eons ago and it has lifetime update for my legal license so I'll continue to use it.

5 years ago

/high_five for using a legal, licensed copy of WinRAR!

Even if I didn't actually pay for it

5 years ago

I don't like the 7zip GUI. I much prefer the WinRAR one, so I use WinRAR.

5 years ago

The 7-zip GUI needs a little help though.. For one there's no keyboard shortcut to "test" files and you have to use the icon->mouse. Unless I'm missing something.. I also miss the option of WinRar to create archive based on latest file timestamp (at least it is present in the command line but sometimes you want to use the GUI version).
Everything else (I could be forgetting something) is fine and/or better though..

5 years ago

I've been using PeaZip for many years now, but yeah there's a ton of WinRAR users.

5 years ago

wow i have been using winrar, switched to 7-Zip after seeing this

5 years ago

That's why using third-party libraries is not safe.
But I still hate those yellow press titles. "over 100 exploits" - oh come on, it's ONE vulnerability, it does not matter that there are multiple cases of it's usage, it's still ONE, not "over 100". And, even this ONE vulnerability is in free third-party library authors used, not in winrar itself. If any other software is using the same library - it's vulnerable too, but that's not interesting to yellow journalists, because everyone heard about winrar, and if title was "One vulnerability found in free library to unpack .ace archives" - nobody would even notice it.

EDIT: Just as I said. TotalCommander is also affected , because it used the same library.

5 years ago*

Have to wonder the amount of Ariana Grande fans that are not very tech savvy though. I certainly know locally, theyre very much the iphone generation and tend to have little clue about basic net safety like antivirus (just to begin with).
I've no doubt there are plenty that do have more than a clue as well - Im just talking about those I meet / know / know through others.

5 years ago

thats nothing new every extract programm has exploits there is no perfect one.
and thats something i knew since i was a little boy .

5 years ago

Just delete or rename the file: UNACEV2.DLL

5 years ago

+1

Updating to the latest version does not delete the file in question.
You need to delete it manually.
Let's check the installation folder.

5 years ago

I just updated from 5.4 to 5.7 and I can't find the file anywhere. If it was in the installation folder, it's not now.

5 years ago

If installed in the default directory, it seems to disappear.
If you specify another folder manually, it seems that there is something left.
Anyway, there is no big problem if UNACEV2.DLL has been deleted from the personal computer.

5 years ago

The music files would be delivered in an archive file named "Ariana_Grande-thank_u,next(2019)[320].rar."

Well, they were downloading 2 viruses then.

5 years ago

Underrated post.

5 years ago

I was still using version 5.11 from 2014, yikes. Used to use it a lot more for Minecraft mods, the only time I can remember really using it since my "new" comp was for Humble Monthly Trove once. Thanks for the heads up.

5 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! Updating WinRAR now.

5 years ago

5 years ago

Thats some hard marketing for buying winrar. I work on 3.93 winrar and any exploit just get confused, not knowing what to do with the fossils

5 years ago

The music files would be delivered in an archive file named "Ariana_Grande-thank_u,next(2019)[320].rar."

Well here's one file that would go straight to my trash bin anyway...

5 years ago

The company identified more than 100 exploits

Actually one.

5 years ago

But how do I find out what version I'm using?

5 years ago

There is usually an about tab/page that says what version.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Good one.

5 years ago

I've been using 7-Zip for several years now. It's free and does everything that WinRAR does.

5 years ago

Well, I never liked Ariana Grande´s music anyway.
Guess I´m gonna use 7zip from now on. I was with WinRAR 4.0 :P

5 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I have an old version (4.2) of WinRAR on my pc but I can't remember the last time I used the program. I mainly use Bandizip and 7zip.

5 years ago

goodbye winrar 4.11, you have seen it all during the last years. good thing you can't tell anyone.

5 years ago

Thanks for the info. Just updated to 5.70

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.