2016-07-01 update:
New info on better DX11 performance with updated drivers

A few reviewers have experienced issues with older/cheaper motherboards. See this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA
This thread has more information on it, I haven't had time to read it all, but will update later with more information.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qmlep/rx_480_powergate_problem_has_a_solution/

I'm a little short on time for the next few days and won't be able to update the original post that much, but I will look through your answers and add relevant information/links as soon as I have the time!

Some release day reviews/tests:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-radeon-rx-480-review/1100-6441354/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview
http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/29/12050526/amd-radeon-rx-480-benchmark-1080-1070
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93932-amd-radeon-rx-480-14nm-polaris/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GdfDCq86Gk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJBaZ9V2Eo

Seems like the RX 480 performs along the lines of GTX 970 and R9 390 with DirectX 11. For $199 that's really nice performance for the cost, considering the prices for the 970 seem to start around $300. In DirectX 12 performance seems even better compared to the last-gen GPUs.

Here in Sweden it looks like the price is going to be quite a bit higher than $199 (around 2800 SEK, which is roughly $330), so here the performance per cost here is actually worse than the 970, so personally, I would have hoped for a bit more performance for that price. If the performance was more along the 390X / approaching 980 levels (in DirectX 11 as well), it would have been worth it even with the price over here, but for now it looks like a pass, unless they lower the prices quite a bit.

For $199 (or a bit more for the 8GB version) the card seems like a really good choice for a 1080p gaming computer on a budget.

Here are some benchmarks from a Swedish test. Green = average fps, red = lowest fps.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Yay! So it is definitely worth it. Thanks for the early info!

7 years ago

• following (and thanks) ^_^
7 years ago

Happy caky with the help of god

7 years ago

Thank you for the blessing ^_^

7 years ago

Amazon UK has listed the XFX 1288MHz version at £213 and the 1328MHz one at £223. That's $286 & $299.

Slightly disappointed with some of those benches. I can buy a R9 390 for £225 and a 970 for as little as £210.

7 years ago

Yep, seems like only those who can purchase at US price levels are getting a really good deal. For $199 I wouldn't hesitate at all choosing the RX 480 as a GPU for a 1080p build on a budget. I guess you wouldn't either if it would have been £150?

I'll wait to see what happens with the prices. I'm a bit stuck in the middle, GTX 1070 would be overkill (and is quite a bit too expensive for me), 970 is perhaps a bit to less gain over my current GPU. GTX 980 performance at a slightly lower price than the 980 (which 14/16 nm chips would make possible) would be perfect for me.

7 years ago

$200 + VAT = $240 ~= £180

So I think that expecting less than that is unrealistic.

7 years ago

Just received an email from Overclockers, one of the big UK PC parts stores. They've got them starting at £185 (4GB) and £220 (8GB) - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-480

7 years ago

They are tempting me here with a price cut on the 1070.
No price info yet on the RX 480.
At this moment the 1070 is at 480 USD and Rx 480 will likely be around 320 USD for the 8GB version.
And then the 980ti has received a price cut too.
Stuck

7 years ago

Is that the 8GB version (couldn't find it at Amazon)? That's $240 + tax in the US, which looks consistent with these prices.

Edit: I imagine that the 970 price is a holdover from when the pound / dollar exchange rate was higher, and new stocks of the 970 will cost more (unless NVIDIA or OEM's reduce prices to compete with the RX 480).

7 years ago*

Yes, it's 8GB version apparently. I lifted that from this article and haven't actually looked on Amazon myself.

Agreed, that could well be the case regarding the 970 and the currency fluctuation. Might be wise to jump on that now if someone made their mind up that they definitely wanted one.

Edit: Obviously a different product, but I noticed the i5-4690k has jumped about £30 on pcpartpicker since brexit. Could be the same with the 970 soon.

7 years ago*

So far from the RX 480 reviews I've read, the 970 at £210 sounds like a good deal.

Really, so much hype was built based on rumours that the results are quite disappointing. It loses to the 970 significantly at some games (and yes, it wins at some others), power draw is about equivalent, and at least the cards given to reviewers got terribly hot.

7 years ago

rx 480 brings the same power as 980 in dx12 or even more so its pretty good and just a few fps lower than 970 in dx11

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

7 years ago

In theory. The reference cooler seems to be a fucking mess, hopefully the off-spec stuff with pick up the slack.

7 years ago

Now, we have to see what Nvidia is going to bring on the table with it's 1060.

Shame that this thing will end up costing around 300$,i f not more, here in Europe.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

7 years ago

Here in Portugal the 480 that came out today is priced between 300€ and 320€. It has a normal price I guess, it's not as cheap as everybdy in the internet expected o be.
And I've seen some benchmarks, kinda disappointing for what they promised I think

7 years ago

Ouch.
According to Dutch site Tweakers.net the advised prices were 220 euros for 4gb model, 260 for 8gb one.

7 years ago

I was talking about the 8gb model. The 4gb it's still not in the market. In Spain the 8gb is selling for 270€, and in the french amazon for 260€. Looks like the more to the East (in Europe), better the price

7 years ago

8Gb model at Alternate € 319, at Azerty € 289,00. Ridiculous prices just like the 1070.

7 years ago

great post thanks.

7 years ago

Nice follow up tso :>

Not paying >$239 for 'only' 5.7B transistors, and performance per watt is awful compared to Nvidia's 1070.

7 years ago*

You probably should compare it to 970, maybe 980. That's what this card is supposed to compete with.

7 years ago

AMD on 14nm barely surpasses Nvidia's 28nm performance, only 15% increase per watt :S
That means, high prices for everyone.

7 years ago

just whait when 4k will become massive and then buy new video cards
not worth it to buy it now

7 years ago

will take ages
have fun while waiting

7 years ago

i have fun with my old 7870 still, because nothing new to me since gcn was released

7 years ago

7870 is fine thats why ;o
i wanted to say if u need something new - to play current games
would wait for 4k"standard" be a pretty stupid idea (somewhere in the next decade^^)

7 years ago

i think u meant if u need something the same like 970 with 8 gb
but i really dont see anything new like it was when hd7970 was released in 2011, 5 years!!! omg dumb stagnation, so poor
my 7870 can ezily run 4k video also

7 years ago

i know i had run a Phenom 955 BE+ HD6870 until last september would still run all smooth
just bought new spec for a handful of newer games i wanted to play ^^

7 years ago

is it going to be $199 thou? the 1080 prices are nowhere near the 599 mark

7 years ago

Not outside of US.

7 years ago

even in the US Nvidia's cards have been dare than RRP

Just seen the 480 for sale here 492USD & the 1070 is 713USD & 1080 1145USD so % AMD is highest from said price but is alot cheaper than Nvidia's still

7 years ago

Just so you know, 480 is 970/980 competitor, 1070/1080 is completely different league.

7 years ago

i'm aware =P

7 years ago

Okie dokie.

Just wanted to make sure since you compare their prices ;)

7 years ago

was comparing the RRP they claimed & also yeah you still gotta compare them look at 980 to titian the price difference to performance is not worth doing but with this scenario will it worth going for the better Nvidia cards. My current AMD sucks so don't really want to get another amd card again

7 years ago

So the 780ti I purchased almost a year ago for $200 still holds up against AMD?

Good to know.

7 years ago

You purchased a TI a year ago for $200? It still goes for over $400 pretty much anywhere... :|

7 years ago

Quite disappointed sadly, it's on par with a 970 and can barely be overclocked (for now, 4%). If in the eu prices will be low enough it's still a good card but I expected more ^^

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfff0/new_amd_cards_megathread/ here are all the video reviews from the major tech youtubers

7 years ago

is certanly far from the the GTX980 as some early leaks showed, still pretty good price for the performance, and things should get better as new drivers are released, now the question is to get the 4GB or 8GB one :v

7 years ago

Definitely picking this up as an upgrade from my 7850 but should I buy one now (as in this week) or wait for the brand cards to appear?

7 years ago

im waiting for non reference cards for more noise efficient cards, apparently this one reaches 40dB, still quieter than my 7870, but still would prefer to go for a silent one, should be fairly easy as is so energy efficient, look for the HIS ones those are always very quiet.

7 years ago

I would wait at least one or two weeks, till more shops and more manufacturers have their cards out. Price may drop a litte bit during this periode.

7 years ago

Wait 3-4 weeks to check the manufacturers. With some extreme luck, one of them may go with an OC with only a small price bump, or, if even luckier, one will have a normal enough cooling to overclock it yourself a bit.

7 years ago

wouldn't have expected 200$/240$ on launch but thats nowhere near it ...
"oh vey gojim" - looks like we gotta wait lol

edit.: forgot ... 8GB was 240$ so
its not even bad considering

View attached image.
7 years ago*

its just out, wait some more for its price drop

7 years ago

Around the GTX 970 in performance, sometimes almost just a smidge under the 980. Price said to be 220 USD, ending up at around 300 Euros.
Both expected. Not a market-sweeper as some of us hoped to be, but if they can drop the price somehow around 15%, this could be the next most popular card for medium-range gaming rigs.

7 years ago

300€? i just checked at a German store. they list the 4GB versions for 219€, the 8GB versions for 269-289€. it's more expensive than expected, but still quite a bit below 300€.

7 years ago

Depends on country. Around 300 meant a little under, but here, the only store that carries them has them listed for over €320.

7 years ago

ouch, that's expensive. even for the 4 GB versions?

7 years ago

They only had two of the 8 GB version.
Correction: they only have one of the 8 GB version.

7 years ago

And how many of these reviewers were paid off to say good things about it?

7 years ago

And all the game engines were paid off as well? facepalm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozATbV11rBA
Real-live random game tests are a bit hard to fake you know, since consumers will see that directly.

7 years ago

Reread what I said. I said how many, not if ALL were.

You know that reviewers are paid off left and right these days. The ones YOU are talking about don't fit that. The tech sites that get them could be.

7 years ago

But they usually list tech specs and game benchmarks. Hardware reviews are difficult to fake,since you post benchmarks, and if they suck, they suck. Games and software are subjective; especially games. But measurements on real-live scenarios are not.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

7 years ago

in my country the 8GB version is more expensive than the GTX970 and it is barely faster than that

7 years ago

És azt hogy? Az egy dolog, hogy az országban még senki se árulja, de a tippelt ára 72 és 86 között lesz, miközben a GTX 970 90-nél kezdődik.

7 years ago

Most komolyan az iPont vesszük alapnak egy árra? Én inkább megvárom, hogy a nem lehúzó cégek mit mondanak. Ha az iPont venném alapnak, akkor a mostani 350e-s gépem majdnem 400e lett volna, ráadásul egyes alkatrészekre 1 évvel kevesebb garanciával. iPont arra használjuk, hogy gépet gyorsan összerakjunk, mert a gépösszerakó programjuk normálisan szűr kompatibilitást. Meg talán náluk vannak a legértelmesebben belinkelve a gyártók oldalai. De venni onnan sose.

7 years ago

ha van vállalatod, akkor 93ezer:
http://www.mercateo.hu/p/1263-M311305/RADEON_RX_480_8G_GDDR5_PCI_E_HDMI_3XDP_UEFI_IN.html?ViewName=live_hu&showSimplePage=NO&

persze ez a beszerzési ár, a vállalatok erre még ráteszik a maguk kis hasznukat, ami ipon esetén ennél a kártyánál ~10%

ha be lehetne olcsóbban szerezni az ipon is olcsóbban adná, jelenleg ennyi az ára, a következő hetekben talán normalizálódni fog

engem mondjuk pont nem érdekel, mivel normális nem referencia gtx1080-ra várok, aminek máig nem normalizálódott az ára egyik webshopban se :)

7 years ago

Én is inkább várok. A GTX 970 is volt 120e felett, ráadásul a megjelenése után… Arról nem beszélve, hogy az R9 380 bőven 70e alatt van majd' mindenütt, így eléggé hülyén néz ki, hogy a közvetlen utódot másfélszer annyiért akarják eladni.

7 years ago

This card is pretty promising... but I can't wait for the reveal of the RX 490 and the benchmarks for a dual Crossfire setup of the RX 480 to see if it's worth it to consider a dual RX 480 investment or to just buy an RX 490 by the end of the year.

7 years ago

nice, another video card that will be $500-600 where i live.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 months ago.

7 years ago*

yes... gtx970 $$620; gtx980 $830; r390x $680

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

it's overtaxed-land B)

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Was all set to order one of these today, and now I'm not sure. Been looking around and think I might be able to stretch to an R9 390X instead.

7 years ago

I'd suggest not getting old tech. GCN 1.1 is a little long in the tooth now. If you can't stretch your budget to a GeForce 1070 I'd suggest waiting.

7 years ago

I depends on what you're upgrading from. I see this card as a stepping stone to Vega, which is the card that should be really impressive. I have an HD7950 and I don't want to wait for Vega to come out, so at this price it makes sense to get into this card for a year to get a card that's faster than a 970/390 for less money and power draw.

7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago by tso184.