https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_Awards_2019

comments? :)

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Bad list.

My GOTY would probably be Luigi's Mansion 3, Borderlands 3 or The Outer Worlds

4 years ago

Control and RE2 will take the two main ones.
They will not bow to the Fortnite kiddies and select FFXIV, unless EA decided to buy the MMO award for Apex.
Unless they take a stance against Kojima overblown narrative, they give that one to him. Disco Elysium is actually better than the rest there combined (yes, even Plague Tale), but it does not have enough money to buy the award.
To please the Souls crowd, they give Sekiro something.
Similarly, The Outer Worlds gets an award to show its media darling status.
CoD gets the best mobile game award.
UbiSoft won't buy the best MP award for Division 2 and Sega won't buy it strategy one for Three Kingdoms.

4 years ago

How will they please the Microsoft people, since it's at the Microsoft Theatre?
With Outer Worlds and/or Gears 5 wins?

4 years ago

I'd guess some technical award for Gears 5. Admittedly, it looks rather impressing.

4 years ago

I don't know anything about this award nonsense, but Disco Elysium is probably the best game I've played all year - unless I played some better game in January and forgot about it. :) Which would be apropos, I guess. :)

4 years ago

Heh heh... This is why I keep a list of all of the games I've completed in a year. Since I've just clocked my 110th game since January 1st, I really NEED that list! lol~

4 years ago

More high praise for Disco Elysium, nice! I definitely need to bump that up on my wishlist!

4 years ago

I would put a pool for "Game of the Year" if i were you :)

Even tho i want to say Death Stranding, it is probably Sekiro or RE Remake

4 years ago

Why would Death Stranding be a GOTY game? It seems like it's really long fetch quest simulator. Nothing wrong with that, but I would not call it groundbreaking game design. It should win in the most hyped game category though...

4 years ago

Idk, maybe because of Kojima hype or maybe it is because of Kojima himself, the game doesn't feel like side missions. I didn't play it myself so i can't say i would give the same point if i would play.

4 years ago

Read Fortnite
Closed the tab immediately

4 years ago

You are not the only one.

4 years ago

same hah

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

4 years ago

ofcourse, its just games bro

4 years ago

where's Metro Exodus?

4 years ago

Bad gaaaame

4 years ago

• baddly handled
4 years ago

I literally don't own any of the games mentioned, none of them!!

4 years ago

Yup, same here. And it's not like I miss having them either. Any kind of awards are mostly just a way for the industry to praise themselves, so nothing really surprises me anymore.

4 years ago

There are some legit great games on that list, another handfull could easily replace the rest of the list, but these award shows always find space to fit some big publishers in.

4 years ago

Yeah, only game on that list I care for is the Zelda one but I don't own a Switch, the rest I could care less about ^^
But yes, those rewards are usually for the big companies, the smaller ones aren't even looked at.

4 years ago

There are quite a few genuinely great games on the lists. Not a single one appeals to you?

4 years ago

Well, I said I don't feel that I'm missing out when I don't have any of those. There might be a few to consider if they were dirt cheap or if they weren't console or Epic exclusives, but that's about it. In particular there's a whole bunch of categories/genres I just dislike to begin with like action, fighting, racing, sports or multiplayer.

4 years ago

Death Stranding should not be allowed on that list as it was just released.

4 years ago

yeah agree. just released and its on like half of the lists! also from what I heard it should not be anywhere near the goty

4 years ago

only the newest games make the list for the most part, fuck any game that came out in january, february, etc. lol thats how they think

4 years ago

yeah that does tend to happen with award stuff. you will remember the newer games then something nearer to the start of the year. just a sad fact

4 years ago

They've been hyping the game since last year already so obviously they need to say it was not just for advertising.
They better hope it's a good one or they're going to look really silly

4 years ago

Geoff Keighley himself appears in DS.

Coincidence it's being nominated in almost all categories?

4 years ago

ya, I think the same, there is Death Stranding but not RDR2 ?? no sense

4 years ago

To me it's

1. REmake 2
  2. Control

That's pretty much everything I've played from this year's releases. I will play Death Stranding when it comes out on PC. On a sidenote, I only played Breath of the Wild this year, and it would be my GOTY, but it came out 2 years ago., so that'd be cheating.

4 years ago

Personally, the only categories worth looking at are Best Independent Game, Best Narrative, Best Art Direction and Games For Impact. And genre categories if you like the particular genre.

4 years ago

...and if the particular genre you like is represented at all.

4 years ago

"Best Community Support" sure gave me a laugh. Only thing missing there is Fallout 76 to achieve maximum troll level. :D
Now I'll just piss off before the laughter turns into tears.

4 years ago

And the nominees are 100% identical with Best Ongoing Game. So why are there two categories, it is logical that good "ongoing" game has good community support

4 years ago

its so Apex can win one and Fortnite win the other

4 years ago

+1

4 years ago

People did ask what's wrong with their non-canvas Fallout 76 bags and Nuka Dark Rum plastic bottles, and they got their community support explaining shit happened. What more could you want?

4 years ago

As i already told in similiar topic the only 2019 game i played (even finished with "good" ending) was Metro Exodus, it was nice and good espec. climat but not great overall (no rpg elements always confrontation on every new map). Huge corporations in every category, i probably won't ever play even 20% of these games looking at list.

4 years ago

best mobile game... call of duty...... well with only that, we already know that this list isn't the best games but the most hype games from RAT kids.

4 years ago

Best Mobile Game is Art of War 3, Asphalt 9, Sierra 7, Into the Dead 2, and some other ones, list is bullshit.

4 years ago

There were not many good games coming this year, but this event is like a P2W lootbox fest crap nominations.

4 years ago

And expect that to only get worse in coming years.

4 years ago

Is the gaming was really this bad this year? Well, some decent games there, but.....
I literally not owning a single one of the mentioned games.

Wanted to buy metro exodus, then it went exclusive and now it is 100% I won't buy on steam after 1-year release, even not if they would offer a -50% discount at the start. Why would I want to buy an old game for the same price, better to spare my money for other great titles coming around the same time, like Cyberpunk or Bannerlords?
From the list, I want to play Plague Tale, Outer Worlds, Age of Wonder: Planetfall. I might probably buy Plague Tale once it reaches a price tag which ok for the length of the game. Outer Worlds I might buy on steam, not going to install a launcher just for one game, so I can wait, after all, I have a huge backlog. But you know, 2020 looks so good for games that by the steam release I could decide for some other, new game instead. Age of Wonders: Planetfall, well, I played a lot of strategies, with that I'll wait to be bundled as it will be needed to buy a lot of DLC anyway, not willing to spend 50eur on a game which will have A LOT of DLCs and don't have shortage on strategy games in my backlog. Still playing Imperator Rome, I enjoyed it at release, unlike others, now started to play it again, it changed soo much, now a totally different game. Just bought up DLCs of Northgard, that will also give enough strategy playtime to me, so the age of wonders might be totally skipped as bannerlords coming, and while that not exactly a strategy game some gameplay elements satisfy my need for my monthly 10-20h strategy.

btw, where is SW Fallen Order? I mean, the reviews so good, I feel a need to buy an EA game and last time I had that feeling was like a decade ago. Or more.

4 years ago

Its certainly lacking options and variety.....again.... best mobile game? Where is Art of War 3? Best ongoing game? Where is Killing Floor 2? Stupid nominations incomplete.

4 years ago

No Fallout 76? Shocking!

4 years ago

Best paid subscription

4 years ago

At the very least Iā€™m happy to see that Disco Elysium is there.

Found it this week and was surprised that it was a pretty engaging game. Word/Reading heavy, but it sucks you right in. Choices you make also actually matter and chance the story considerably.

4 years ago

The nominations look like Death Stranding vs Control. I haven't played anything in the list so I don't really have an opinion.

4 years ago

"Best family game" should be renamed "Best Nintendo game" Literally all the games in that category are games Nintendo had a hand in.

4 years ago

Is that Control game even good? QB was boring as hell and they looks similar.

4 years ago

Both story and general aesthetic is very different, the gameplay is somewhat similar. It's pretty good, if you like unique stories that make you think a bit.

4 years ago

Fortnite? Really...

4 years ago

fortnite is the curse of gaming industry , someone change my mind .

4 years ago

View attached image.
4 years ago

I'm pleasantly surprised that Disco Elysium wasn't completely ignored in nominations. I mean, sure, it's not mainstream enough (and way too good) for GOTY category, but there are at least some nominations. Still, I don't really pay attention to these awards because my all-time favourite genre, adventure games, is considered to be inconsequential for them (and no, Action/Adventure category has nothing to do with the said genre).

4 years ago

Man, that's a mess.

And not just for quirks like treating a rereleased Wii U game as a new release (despite the rerelease itself being in 2018), misspelling Samurai Shodown (not sure I can really blame them for that one, though), or not including a single non-Nintendo game in the Family-Friendly games category, despite the category having a description which emphasizes that the category is independent of platform. Well, not that Nintendo is easy to beat in that category, but it's also clear they weren't restricting themselves to a specific number of entries for each category, so something should have been included for the sake of appearances at least.

Nah, the real issue is how random many of the associations are, especially with games that emphasize a specific category but aren't included in it but ARE included in other categories, and the fact that only treating user votes as 10% of the total vote makes it feel a bit pointless. Then again, 10% of the total is still worth more than US presidential election votes are (they are, after all, not used in any way), so maybe it's just a matter of perspective.

4 years ago*

I tend to prefer indie titles anyways, so I'll likely never play most of those that were nominated. Maybe one or two there that I might check out at some point. Slay the Spire has sooooooo many positive reviews on Steam and released in January 2019. Best game for me, hands down and didn't get any nominations at all. lol.

4 years ago

There's no best card game category or it might have :P

And I believe it has something to do with being out longer (as early access, I played it last year already) so the hype for it has died compared to 'newer' games that came out this year

4 years ago

and didn't get any nominations at all

It's in the Fresh Indie Game category, though? Technically the category lists by developer, so it's easy to miss, but they associate by specific game, so.. Effectively a category wherein Slay the Spire was a candidate for votes.

Well, not that I'll argue with your sentiment, though. The category associations are.. not what I'd consider intuitive.

4 years ago

Heh! Yeah, guess that's why I missed it. And also because there's a "Best Independent Game" category. I was expecting to see it there. =)

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.