I plan to upgrade my 11 year old pc, bought a Seagate 120GB SSD and 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast, next I gotta buy a mainboard, proc and video board. I almost bought a GTX 760 last week, but now a 'better' offer came up with the GTX 770 which includes Borderlands the Pre-Sequel. I'm a big fan of the Borderlands series, my pc can't run the second too good so I gave up on playing at around lvl 25, that's why I wanna upgrade actually.
The difference in price between the 2 series is 100$. Are 100$ worth 1ghz more memory speed, 100mhz more clock speed and the Borderlands pre-order? Discuss pls, but stay on topic, keep it short, thanks!

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

yep the 770 is a huge bump over the 760 i was going to recommend a 280x since its 95% of the performance of the 770 for much less but since you want borderlands the 770 its the way to go

9 years ago

As long as you have the money and your CPU will not bottleneck the vga, I dont see why not!

9 years ago

i5 4460 or 4570, not sure which I have money for yet.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

9 years ago

9 years ago

770, you get a free borderlands pre sequel

9 years ago

there 770 is worth it if you really want the game as you take the price of the game which is 59.99 and you really only paid an extra 50 for the card and it is a better card
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/854?vs=829

but the big question is what CPU do you plan on using?
as that could be a bottleneck issue and you might be throwing money away

but you should be fine as long as it is at least something around a AMD 6300 even a Intel Dual Core would be fine with that i know some would disagree but the Intel Dual Core beats the 6300 in a lot of gaming test due to AMD lack of single core performance

9 years ago

wow, those are some noticeable differences, I'm starting to lean towards the 770 atm

9 years ago

I would get Ati R9 280x or R9 290x

9 years ago

there are already rumors about the 870, I'd wait a month :o

9 years ago

^this

Worst time to buy PC parts is right now. In 2-3 months, the prices will drop heavily.

9 years ago

If you wait for the next new thing, you'll always be waiting.

9 years ago

Absolutely. But there's no reason to buy now. If the next big thing is coming in a year or more, best not to wait. But if you can wait 60 days, then you should.

9 years ago

its always the case with anything these days.

you wait and wait and then same story.

9 years ago

Yeah, the OP should wait. And if they move the release to Q1 2015 you're only losing a month so it's not such a big deal.

9 years ago

yeah and then they wait till it is released 6 months form now something else may come along so they must wait again ....

when does the madness stop about telling people to wait for hardware that will not even hit shelves for another 6 months is stupid

i know you want to upgrade your 11 year old pc to play better games but wait another 6 months to play new games so you can get a better GPU

waiting for the next thing is pointless unless it is a month or two away and the person can wait by the sounds of it they are wanting to upgrade there cpu to play newer games now as i would assume that 11 year old pc is not doing the trick unless he had some top secret pc from back then and is just tired of looking at it lol

The GTX 800 series release date has been revealed on Gamescom 2014!

PC gamers who are looking to upgrade to the GTX 800 series might have to wait a while because while the 28nm Maxwell chips are currently available in the GTX 750, 750 Ti, but 20nm designs might be delayed but the good news is, The GTX 880 will be cheaper than the initial 780 Ti but it is going to be much more powerful.

and the GPU at hand is meant to replace the 780 which is the 400 dollar range a price most people that use steam do not spend on a gpu

Cyberland reports that The GTX 800 series release date is on March 2015 as was confirmed by Nvidia on Gamescom 2014 and that the GTX 880, 870 and 860 would be available at launch!

so my advice is stick with your 770 if you so desire to get the 800 series you could always sell the 770 and buy it but i do not think it is worth waiting for unless you are happy with how your gaming is now and can wait and willing to spend that kinda of cash

the 770 is more the capable and will last you years and by the sounds of you having a 11 year pc you do not seem like the type that needs to update the GPU every 6months to a year

9 years ago

agreed on the waiting part, I'm sick of waiting, been working for around 5-6 years and didn't invest in a new pc, yet I was always looking at parts on building configurations. I wanna get rid of this pain, I can't even play csgo or dota at a reasonable framerate (13-23 / 10-25). And when I'll want to play more demanding games like Dishonored or Borderlands 2, what then?

9 years ago

What I meant to say is to wait a month a see if the 800 series is released. If they postpone the release then you should buy the 770. By losing a month I meant you wait for a month, and if nothing has been released well you waited one more month and sadly nothing came out of it and then you go for a 770. After than one month. In September. This year.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

9 years ago

Q1 for them is March

each Q is 3 months

Jan-March is 1 Q and so on

so unless i am missing something
And if they move the release to Q1 2015 you're only losing a month so it's not such a big deal.

that does not translate to 1 month....Q1 15 is Sept till March and my math tells me that is 6 months if it was to launch on this day in Martch

9 years ago

What :/

A quarter means a fourth. Q1 15 is Jan-March, not Sept-March. Are you high or something?

9 years ago

Businesses don't start their financial years on January 1st but either on April 1st or July 1st. Don't know if that is for tax reasons or just because hardly anyone is around on January 1st to do all the stuff they have to do when moving from one FY to the next. So evil is actually correct.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

9 years ago

+1

9 years ago

GTX 770 is much superior(rebrand of GTX 680), than GTX 760(is like rebrand if GTX 660 Ti), GTX 760 is ~ to my Radeon HD 7950. But I would wait for the release of GTX 870 if it's coming soon, but price may be very high, so I would get GTX 770, it's really good, one friend has it.

9 years ago

rebrand? 680 and 770 have the same architecture you say? that can't be right..

9 years ago

They actually are the same in terms of the microchip used (GK104), but the 770 has faster memory (3500 vs 3000 MHz).
edit: the 760 is a variant of the same chip btw with some parts of the chip disabled and lower clock speeds. Performance wise it's somewhere between the 670 and 660Ti to put that in perspective with the 770 being a slightly faster 680 variant.

9 years ago

Pretty much, the 770 is a GTX 680. I got the 680 in my rig and it's plentyful in terms of performance. You can overclock the 680 memory and core clocks to a 770 easily so I can easily tell you that buying a 770 is well worth your money.

9 years ago

so 800 series will have a new chip? and if 770 is equivalent to 680, 760 is 670?

9 years ago

He means performance mainly, for example, my 750ti can be compared direct to a 660ti which can be compared to a 480, etc....

9 years ago

11 year old PC? Please give us the full specs. Those GPUs might not even run. EDIT: overlooked the part in which you change all the components. :)
If you are 100% positive CPU won't bottleneck them to the ground, I'd say pick the 770.
And the price difference is NOT about the memory/clock speed, but about the extra cores, which is what gives you a rough estimate of the GPU's power, to put it in a simple way.
As other are suggesting, waiting for the 800 series to come out is a good idea, unless you are really wanting to change it now.

9 years ago

Buy a used 670 for half the price and 90% the performance.

9 years ago

Never buy used PC parts. Way too risky, and condition is difficult to analyze.

9 years ago

condition is not hard to find out at all. Especially on g.cards. Most manufactures warranty the hardware that carries over to whoever the current owner is.

9 years ago

gtx 770, but get a decent CPU and MB with it. Also a decent PSU with 600W+ from a good brand.

9 years ago

Get a R9 280 flies away

9 years ago

get the the 770

9 years ago

I got me last year an GTX 650 and im happy.

However im thinking of upgrading next year when the new GTX 880 comes out mostly due to some new games looks like will be needing a little more power.

if i were you check the benchmarks between the two see what they score see the difference are they worth that extra 100$?

I did that with my Card and i felt that I dont want to pay that much extra just for smaller performance difference and my GTX 650 is running everything smooth. sure i cant run Bioshock INfinity on ULTRA but it runs on high quiet fine.

9 years ago

I went with the 770 and have not looked back. Mainly built my PC for BF4 and so glad it can run on max settings 60fps. It will run most modern games nigh on max atm, so would definitely recommend the 770.

9 years ago

The 770 is a complete waste. I have the 760 and it's powerful enough to run every game I've tried on max graphics settings (not counting postprocessing cpu bottleneck)
For $100 get a better CPU and multiple games.
And of course: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

9 years ago

The GTX 880 and 870 are coming out soon (VERY soon,) so don't buy a 7xx now.

9 years ago

How soon? Everyone is saying that. From what I know announcing games or hardware is just a marketing gig to get the hype up, but you'll still get the item 1-2 years later. I can't wait till next year..

9 years ago

There's nothing announced. Rumors are pointing to an October launch.

Not sure where you're getting this 1-2 year later thing from. If video cards were consistently released a year late, Nvidia and AMD wouldn't exist.

As for your question, there's more to graphics cards than clock speeds. In my opinion neither is a good value but yes, the 770 is worth the premium. If you intend to play Borderlands TPS on launch, it makes the difference ~$50

9 years ago

9 years ago

Soon soon, you should wait. It might be a pretty nice improvement.

9 years ago

Get the r9 290 instead I've seen people sell it for $300 (shipping included) and that card is between 770 and 780

9 years ago

For the most part the 290 is more powerful than a GTX 780 as well. Uses more power though.

9 years ago

I'm going to hijack the thread. I too have been looking at the 760/770 however my computer guy is suggesting an AMD R9 280X to reduce the risk of bottlenecking. Any thoughts?

9 years ago

I would get a new computer guy. R9 280X and GTX 770 are pretty much the same but 280X has 1GB more VRAM.

My suggestion is not to get a 760 since it's horribly priced. Other than that, pick based on price or brand preference.

9 years ago

AMD is better in gaming..Nvidia is for differend programs like Adobe, Photoshop, Sony etc...
But..your money, your choice..

9 years ago

Hmm, I read much more opinions that when you buy GeForce you buy working games unlike AMD that make shit, not drivers and games (especially new releases) really suffer because of that (they fix them after few years, usually, but then my friend still can't play Half Life 1 with flashlight on - drops FPS to 1...).

9 years ago

There's a lot of opinions from people spouting that Nvidia has better drivers and while true to some extent, it's way overblown. Both companies have crappy drivers.

And as a counterpoint, Nvidia's recent drivers have broken performance in lot of DX9 titles. I can't play BF2 with the flickering textures.

9 years ago

To tell truth, when it comes to GPU if one company works for you, I would say you shouldn't change it - every time some friend of mine changed from AMD to Nvidia or from Nvidia to AMD they quickly were raging how this sucks or that sucks :) .

9 years ago

That's complete bull

AMD currently has better price/performance for everything $400 and under but you're making things up.

9 years ago

"Nvidia is for differend programs like Adobe, Photoshop, Sony etc"

Where do people come up with this crap? Seriously? If anything Nvidia is quicker to the punch for things like day 1 patches and game performance improvements, sure you pay a premium but I also got more stable performance out of Nvidia cards, plus I actually like Physx as gimmicky as it is its still a feature that AMD struggles at(Relies on CPU I believe).

Both are fine but saying Nvidia is more of things like Photoshop is fucking retarded, or programs like sony? lmao....give me a break...

9 years ago

oh look, its this guy again, insulting people. ever heard of cuda smartass?!

9 years ago

Yeah actually, before you start calling names(Funny how hypocritical you are here btw) though why not realize how odd it is to say AMD is for gaming and Nvidia is not. To say Nvidia is for programs and not gaming is pure dumb and if you look above everyone seems to agree....Did you even read what light1998 wrote or just go to attack mode when you saw my name?

Also you seem to attacking me and not what I said which just shows you have a personal grudge which is actually sad because I don't recognize your name even.

Oh boy....

9 years ago

I was thinking about that aswell, I would prefer the GTX 760 and then buy another video card from the 100$ extra you have in like 2-3 years. Also, you might wanna take a look at the AMD R9 280/280x

9 years ago

Yeah, I cringe at those 100$, but I really want nvidia for the Borderlands Physx optimization (as well as in other games)

9 years ago

The thing you haven't mentioned yet is resolution, which is the main factor in determining what setup you should be getting. Are you going single monitor or multi? And what resolution will you be at?

9 years ago

full hd 23' single

9 years ago

Then you don't need more than an r9 270 (or X) or GTX 760 for 1080p gaming at this time. Anything else would just be unused power consumption/performance.

9 years ago

A lot of people want nvidia but they dont understand that nvidia is for photo, video editing etc .They have much more CUDA cores for editing...
AMD is for gaming.... If you want to buy that board for Borderland is a mistake...

9 years ago

Just a warning that Physx in Borderlands isn't really great. It kills performance and introduces some bugs as well. Maybe they'll fix it in TPS but it doesn't seem likely.

9 years ago

My 2 cents:

BL PS will be likely priced around $50 at launch, so if you really want to play it straight away the real difference you're looking at is $50 between the 2 cards. Worth it? It depends: in the first place, if that is really going to be your bottleneck.

However... you haven't even finished playing BL2 yet!

I'd save those $100: unless you're using double monitor or very high resolutions (2560x1440?), the 760 should serve you pretty well for a while and you probably wouldn't even notice the difference with a 770 anyway. By the time you've finished playing the BL2 campaign and have had a bit of fun online, BL PS will have dropped in price, got tweaks and bug fixes that will make it perfectly enjoyable on the 760.

In 2-3 years time use the saved bucks to upgrade the video card if you feel it's become too slow.

PS: I wouldn't dismiss the R9 as crappy, it's a good card, there's a lot of marketing around pushing nvidia but it's not necessarily a better card. Also, keep your PSU in mind and check power consumption of the chosen card.

9 years ago

The smart person would buy the 760 and save the 100 bucks for a future upgrade, the 760 will hook you up for as long as the 770 will, no need to dish out another 100 bucks just like that, when the time comes to upgrade, it will relatively hit the same time period as there isn't that much of a power gap between the two, i'm pretty sure of it.

Of course this will put at risk of some games not being able to run at max quality because the extra kick 770 has would run said game smooth while the 760 struggles to do so.

If i was in your situation i would buy the 760, buy borderlands from a trustworthy key reseller, save like 70 bucks minimum by doing this. Use said savings for something else. Or do what people said here, wait a bit longer and then buy something.

I made my computer build 1 month before the 700 series were announced, and i sort of regret buying my 670 as the 700 series offered better choices and cost less. Like the 760 being nearly the samething as my 670 and it's cheaper.

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.