I'll post the message here

"When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.

We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. It’s been the defining project of my professional life.

Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: What’s next?

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.

What’s next?

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they’re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

We do our best to update an FAQ in this space as questions come in.

-Ken Levine
@iglevine

*If you’re a 3rd party interested in interviewing some of the best game developers in the world, please contact chris.bigelow@2k.com"

http://www.irrationalgames.com/
Edit: Seems like I misread they're not shutting down. Sorry for the confusion.
Edit 2: I've been told that they're still shutting down, but only 15 members will join Kevin at his new company.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Oh no!

1 decade ago

Okay I didn't like BioShock Infinite but ....

nooo :(

1 decade ago

This is actually extremely encouraging. An honest recognition from within the industry that the "standard" bloat of AAA not only hinders the development of great games, but actively weakens the foundation of the company that supports such bloat.

1 decade ago

They should go indie instead of changing publishers, imho.

1 decade ago

So they're basically saying that AAA development is becoming utter crap?

Farewell, Irrational Games. You'll be remembered.

1 decade ago

This is good. Rarely do you hear about a game studio closing (or downsizing in this case [edit] or, no, closing -- or whatever!... [/edit]) and it's not for sad reasons -- this one is for good reasons, although it will probably hurt many of the staff who work there now in the short run. Good luck to both a smaller Irrational and those who will be former employees that did awesome stuff.

1 decade ago

Sounds like they want to mimic Telltale, tbh.

1 decade ago

Hope the new team will do a great game i think bioshock infinite is a masterpiece to end the series

1 decade ago

So he wants to make games with even less gameplay?

1 decade ago

David Cage won't settle for this.

1 decade ago

Well it says there won't be anymore Bioshock Infinite dlc's after Burial at Sea Ep 2

1 decade ago

:(

1 decade ago

That disparity of avatar and message...

I go with avatar.

1 decade ago

Financials aren't mentioned by Ken Levine, or parent company Take-Two, so BioShock Infinite's sales likely aren't a factor in Irrational's shuttering. By the sound of it, Levine made a personal decision to close his studio so that he may focus on smaller-scale titles in the future.

I understand the desire to move away from big-budget, AAA video game development in favor of more personal works, but costing hundreds of people their jobs to satisfy one's own vanity is a massive dick move.

1 decade ago

i can't see it as vanity. when an entrepreneur creates a company, uses his and others capital to reach a mission/vision. if a company accomplishes it, it can be perfectly be closed and liquidated. if the company is successful, there will be money for everybody. if the workforce is good, and i have no doubt they are, they can kind of easily land a job in the parent company or in another one.

this last sentence only applies since it is an u.s. company. here in a pigs country it certainly would be a massive dick move.
1 decade ago

"costing hundreds of people their jobs to satisfy one's own vanity is a massive dick move."

This is the kind of backwards thinking that crumples an economy. The idea that an individual or a company owes job creation to anyone, is absolutely idiotic and counter-productive toward middle-class empowerment. Moreover, the fact that a given company or corporation "creates jobs" doesn't absolve them from all of the other detrimental propensities such entities typically have toward overall business and general economy. It's simply a corporate buzzword used to further political agendas.

1 decade ago

So, no Freedom Force 3? I enjoyed those games more than the Bioshock series.

1 decade ago

Maybe some of the other Irrational-members will use Kickstarter to buy the rights and develope the game ^^ Doesn´t sound too far fetched IMHO, but we´ll see.

1 decade ago

Underwater City, City in the Sky... I was really curious on what would be next. :(
Edit: Oh, 2K may continue it I guess, but still, sad news.

1 decade ago

Underground is left. So one long corridor shooter without any freedom!

1 decade ago

Actually I was thinking it may be either underground or in space.

1 decade ago

System Shock already did Space...

1 decade ago

But there could still be a City inside the sun ^^
(yeah.. but come on, a 1940´s underwater-city or another city hanging in the clouds of 1912 sounded equaly ridicules, until we set foot there ;) )

1 decade ago

Really? Don't know much about the System Shock games.
Maybe a remake into a Bioshock game. :p

1 decade ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
T_T

1 decade ago

Man that's sad news! Irrational Games will be sorely missed!!!;_;

1 decade ago

This could actually turn into something better.

1 decade ago

This hurts a lot...
But on the other hand: One of the greatest storytellers and game-designers of all time leaves a successfull endevor in order to have more freedom, creating story-based games for core-gamers! :D

1 decade ago

why elizabeth will come for you

1 decade ago

Sounds like Take-Two has him by the balls. Lets not pretend like he is leaving to start some small indie thing.. he is still working for Take-Two. Obviously Bioshock Infinite didn't exceed their sales expectations. People underestimate the cost of keeping a giant company like that afloat.

Rich Gallup @rich_gallup
"Let's hold off on the tweets that are excited about what Ken Levine does next. Say, until after all of the people he's firing have new jobs."

1 decade ago

i don't get how they can develop new not mainstream game wihin take Two...i'm quite sure levine isn't happy with the way Bioshock Infinite become casual palyer oriented (i bet was a Take 2 decsion)..so i'm not that secure how thighs can chenge in they still be a take 2 studio.. sry bad english.

1 decade ago

I'm a bit torn up here. I'm not sure what's worse: that we won't see anymore BioShock or the idea that 2K is in charge of the franchise and where it's headed. I mean, depending on how Episode 2 turns out, we could probably immortalize BioShock's reputation as one of the great pinnacles of gaming, however if 2K pulls a BioShock Declassified...I don't know...

1 decade ago

R.I.P bioshock

1 decade ago

Why is Kevin being so irrational?

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Mozendo.