[REMOVED]

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

On positive side. Atleast this supports local economy instead money going to certain tax-havens...

9 years ago

How so?

9 years ago

The % that goes to taxes stays in the country, where the purchase was made. At the moment Steam prices already have that tax added for us, but they actually pay a very small percentage of it to EU and the rest just flows to USA (easy money). Which means the higher price tag in Europe AT THE MOMENT is not justified and, if they were to rise the prices in 2015, then you can blame Valve and not the EU for it (to us, in theory, the prices should remain more or less the same depending of the tax rate of your home country - the price rises few % or goes down few %).

9 years ago

Basically now VAT goes to country that has best deal. After new year it goes to country that person lives in. So some lose, others gain what is theirs rightfully.

9 years ago

My question was aimed at the "local economy". Even if the additional income actually supported national economies, all I've seen in political interest were multinational corporations (who still have those tax loopholes created for them by their "employees" who just so happen to be our "representatives") so I expect no boost for national companies and thus, workers. Although I'd like that.

9 years ago

I actually wonder if bundles are going to cost more as of January 1, 2015 too as they're digital services or digital goods too.

9 years ago

Bundle Stars, IG, Blink adds VAT to price, so yeah for those.

Humble Bundle is from US but they actually remove VAT from price :)

Hola!

9 years ago

Does anybody actually have some information about Valve's opinion in this matter?
Anyways, people should read sardanapal post before going nuts here.

9 years ago

Phisical copy with 21% VAT = 50€
Steam Digital copy with 15% VAT = 50€

Digital future is awesome, for publishers and investors!

9 years ago

Prices for Far Cry 4 at the moment:

cheapest local retailer store, which have to have warehouses, shops, is already paying all these fancy taxes etc. - 38€ for a physical copy.

Uplay - 60€. (60$)

Steam 60€. (60$)

Nuuvem 39,46€. (48$)

I don't know why it is such a problem for the two biggest platforms when somewhere else it's already in use. I also can't agree with generalising "you can't afford it - then don't buy it. Not an excuse for piracy." while there's still no reasonable regional pricing. Reasonable =/= dirt cheap, just for the record.

If you are an asshole, you will rant or/and steal games no matter the price. Even if everything was magically 80 % cheaper, once it became a new standard there will be a lot of "is of too much $$$, me no have $$$, gib cheaper or torrent" guys...

9 years ago

Steam sales are getting worse rapidly (f.e. warlock 2 if it wins the daily game battle thing -66% while on gmg it has been -75% weeks ago). So Im starting to care very little for whatever Steam tries to sell me. Steam's store has become one of the most expensive places to buy games.

Besides, hundreds of unplayed games should give me things to play until Im old and grey. The rare game I surely want to play I can just as well buy for the full price, 21% VAT (Netherlands) wont make me go bankrupt.

9 years ago

You should try filling out a Howlongtobeat.com profile. You'll be staggered by the estimated hours of your current backlog.

9 years ago

Mine is 80 games and 1500 hours for main + extra. At 2 hours a day, I'm set for 2+ years.

9 years ago

Its been quite a while since I've updated mine, but it currently shows 2,562 hours worth of gametime remaining in my out-of-date backlog. It would be much larger if it could import my Steam library. Only a fraction of my PC games are listed in my backlog.

9 years ago

A great chance to play my backlog. LOL.

9 years ago

Maybe the governments should spend less money so gamers won't have to pay more to support the government.

9 years ago

Easy fix: shutdown Valve Sarl (Lux offices) and have no official presence in Europe. Let Eiropeans buy from US store and just convert prices to EUR by current exchange rate. There you go. Valve would not officially support europe so no taxes would need to be payed and most costumers would be happy due to finally having fair pricing and in some cases, no region locks.

9 years ago

VAT still applies, because we need to feed the pigs of EU.

9 years ago

You get what you pay for. More pigs to feed.

9 years ago

You need to pay taxes if you sell, they'd have to stop selling to EU.

Lux branch was launched in Summer 2012 to minimize paid taxes. (VAT rate of Luxembourg, instead of individual countries).

Even when steam had us pay in dollars, it would add VAT to European buyers at checkout.

9 years ago

Cant they just stop "officially" selling to Europeans? I dont think there are laws put in place that state if you dont sell to Europeans you must block them.

9 years ago

Guess VPN to Barbados is gonna get popular.

9 years ago

Nah, VPN is still VPN which steam does not allow. I still would not risk it.

9 years ago

Why bother. Even if prices go up they are still making a tons of money.

9 years ago

If they raise it on Russia,im screwed on more expensive games that now more expensive.

9 years ago

Last time I checked Russia wasn't part of EU.

9 years ago

But I'd expect large price increases on Russian store, due to ruble beign worthless.

9 years ago

Yes and no.

There is no point in raising prices beyond what people in the Russian market can afford, or is willing to accept, particularly now region locking is a done deal. After all, the main reason for the low prices was rampant piracy, and prices need to remain low to remain an attractive option.

Since there is no real cost per product sold, any sale is raw contribution the publishers of these games, and it would be better to swallow the currency devaluation and have a small amount of cash coming in from the region rather than increase the prices in line with the fuckedness of the Rouble, and get nothing at all.

9 years ago

"main reason for the low prices was rampant piracy" we should have rampart piracy worldwide then...

9 years ago

Only problem - Steam Prices are always regulated by retail shops (one of the reasons why Ubisoft delayed UK releases some time ago, probably why it was delayed in 2014).

So if retail shops prices will go up, Steam Prices will go up too (or no shop will sell any Multiplayer Edition, only cheap, marker-labeled dvds Cheap Version ;) )...

9 years ago

Probably a stupid question, but will it affect the steam market & ingame items in any way?

9 years ago

Only Valve knows for sure, but Steam Market shouldn't change (I have no idea who has to pay taxes there), while in-game items might receive additional price increase.

9 years ago

Why is it that whenever the EU institutes terrible laws, the first thing the Europeans jump on is VALVe like they're the bad guys in the situation? VALVe sinks overhead from their own profits, man. Like on foreign conversion for currency, you pay less than if you straight up paid the overall currency cost for the game in USD, because VALVe pays part of the conversion for you. That said, they don't control regional pricing, it's still the content license holders who do this, so if you're mad that a game costs you more than it should, be mad at the publishers. Like I go on Steam, and I see the Left 4 Dead bundle costs $29.99 as its base for USD, but in CDN it's only $32.99, but the actual (base) cost for currency conversion is $34.89 CDN -- almost a full $2 more. And that doesn't include any tax or other costs that your credit card company would throw at you for the currency conversion. I don't know what the value differences are like in the European union, but I'm pretty sure GabeN is still paying part of the costs of your currency conversion.

If you really have so much enmity for VALVe, you're welcome to try other content providers. But you'll pay more due to no incredible 75-90% off sales, and other providers are unlikely to help cover the conversion costs. I think people need to stop treating VALVe like they're anywhere on the level of Antichrist, because they're dealing with your ridiculous laws just like you have to. You try and tell me how the EU is protecting you with a law like this.

9 years ago

You are correct about currency conversion fees (which are extortionate). Valve is bad because they charge us people in the Europe the same number in Euros as people in the USA pay for in dollars from the get go. There is a big difference as this currency change is way lower than what the difference is already.

Also the European Union is greedy as are all the corrupt politicians in every country within it exploiting the majority of people. That's also why fuel prices are higher, because of way higher taxes. It's lower in the USA and Middle East not just because companies sell it cheaper but because tax is lower on it. They are filth because they don't reuse this tax money on things to improve the lives of their people. I'd move to Canada if I could be a citizen because of relative low crime and good state health care.

I really think if the EU was more slack and had better laws for online trading, things would pick up, but the EU is just digging its own grave because it is run by idiots (Brussels club of EC+ECB, IMF, Merkel/Germany-biggest producer+capital of censorship).

Many alternatives to Steam like BundleStars, Humble Bundle, GreenManGaming, Amazon & GOG are worthy alternatives.

9 years ago

27% in Hungary. Yay.
At least they can't cost more than the physical copies.
Are we going to pay taxes for games only or for any items such as cards and keys?

9 years ago

Yes, for everything.

Not sure about user market thought, Valve would be broker there and individual users aren't required to pay VAT.

9 years ago

Wait, you mean boxed copies aren't cheaper for you (well, release price)?

9 years ago

It only will be more fair comparing digital to retail. Valve was getting some advantages others couldn't due to size and infrastructure.
It was a natural step, and may not mean higher prices. See murkmurkmurk comparison example.

9 years ago

This, it's far over reacting. This brings also smaller digital sellers to same line, like GMG (UK-20% VAT), GamersGate (Sweden 25% VAT). As you might know these sites have mostly same prices.

I think so far, Only one game has increased EU price. (Only changed EU, with no change to US base price).

9 years ago

Yes, when I said "Valve was getting some advantages others couldn't due to size and infrastructure." I was referring to digital stores that are little companies. Physical retailers have no chance to evade that.

9 years ago

Physical stores only have years old sports PC games on isolated racks. Good on them for only selling console games.

9 years ago

Perhaps on your village, don't extrapolate. Anyway, that's not the topic.

9 years ago

Sorry, subject.

9 years ago

Definitions of topic
substantive
a matter dealt with in a text, discourse, or conversation; a subject.
"her favorite topic of conversation is her partner"

synonymous: subject, subject matter, theme, issue, matter, point, talking point, question, concern, argument, thesis, text, keynote

9 years ago

Subject as in, a second class citizen under rule of a monarch. I figured you would know about that.

9 years ago

feels good not being a european citizen for once 3rd world ftw

9 years ago

Do you live in Europe?
Yes.

Will you keep buying games on any European Steam Store?
Nope. Steam redeemable keys all the way.

9 years ago

I do not see any price changes. I think, prices will not change later...

9 years ago

There was no price change in EU2.

9 years ago

funny that people really think there is any price-change today....nobody forced steam to raise their prices ....they have only to pay the VAT corresponding to the country they sell to. If we look to the countries with the majority of sales they do in the EU this would be 4-6 %-points higher resulting in ~ 4,3% higher prices (100/115*120)....why should they ruin this shiny 2,49 or 4,99 or even 9,99 prices ....maybe they just do less discounts....or they deal with it.

9 years ago

True. Also, due to EU laws(I think it's EU wide) the final price must be present. As such they aren't going to ruin the psychological traps...

9 years ago

The prices might change after the sale ends, but I doubt it because it would ruin the psychological pricing. Valve would also have to implement new price "regions" for all the different VATs in the EU.

9 years ago

All seem normal here after day 1.
Do you copy?

9 years ago

Bad Rats still 0,99€ - so far all is good.

9 years ago

shouldn't it be 0.09€?

9 years ago

Closed 8 years ago by Credipede.