Well I continue with my weekly 2016 puzzles, This ends in 4 short days, and I am creating this on my birthday.

This is a puzzle that consists of a list of words. I call it "A List of Words" and it is here:
Philosophizing, ionic foot, microchips, strings, imprisoning, bikinis, biologist, millions, ironing-room, bio-politics, Nihilism, microscopic, imposition, zip-locking, thrills, prioritizing, knight, idiomorphic, Misprints, criticizing, discomfort, dissolving, whippoorwill, iconophilist, Cliffs, digitoxin, whirlpool, sigmoid colon, Divisors, Script-writing, disciplining, Unicorn, isotonic, ignition, flight, mitochondrion, criminologist, Risotto, isodimorphism, igloo, siphoning"

The prize this week is Portal 2
Good luck
Mikalye

This is my seventh(or possibly eighth) 2016 puzzle after
6th As Easy as ABC (logic) (http://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/NaTeF/mikalyes-6th-2016-puzzle-as-easy-as-abc-ends-17-feb)
5th Movie Stargazing (Movies and Topology) (http://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/bku0l/mikalyes-5th-2016-puzzle-movie-stargazing-ends-7-feb)
4th Queens Play (Mathematics) (http://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/tBtXy/mikalyes-4th-puzzle-anno-2070-full-pack-ga-queens-play-ends-1-feb)
3rd Keep Your Distance (logic) (http://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/V8Ggp/michaels-third-puzzle-of-2016-keep-your-distance-ended)
2nd Hunting Lie and Hoe (Wordplay) (http://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/Jo54c/mikalyes-second-giveaway-puzzle-of-2016-now-closed)
1st Mixed Bag - Not linked as I will alter one of these soon
0th History of Computer Role-Playing Games (http://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/8ayLm/my-first-puzzle-and-a-bit-of-history-at-the-same-time)

8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

As Frank Herbert put it "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Some Hints:
1) There are no hidden codes, no hidden case, emphasis, bold or anything else. The entire puzzle is just in that list of words. What you see is what you get. If you had them presented to you written on a piece of paper, with no HTML, then the puzzle would be just as easy or just as hard.
2) The "words" are broken by commas. So for the purposes of this puzzle "zip-locking" is one word. So is "ionic foot"
3) Look for what is unusual in this list of words, compared to a hypothetical list of random English words.
4) Each word will resolve to a single letter of the answer phrase
5) In particular, what is unusual about the choice of vowels. What could that mean?
6) For Mikalye's Second Tricksy Riddle - This is three

Solution
The only vowels that appear in this list of 49 words are i's and o's. Interpreting them as 1's and 0's, we get a series of binary numbers. Specifically. 10011, 10100, 101, 1, 1101, 111, 1001, 110, 10100, 10011, and so on. We can convert these to decimal numbers getting 19, 20, 5, 1, 13, 7, 9. 6, 20, 19 , and so on. Some people tried to convert these to ASCII characters and got no printable characters, but using the more basic code of A=1, B=2, etc. and letting the case of the word determine the case of the letter, the message translates to
"Steamgifts Giveaway Code is AmdtF. Go Binary, Dude"

8 years ago*

Is therea puzzle to find the puzzle?

8 years ago

More hints added

8 years ago

I have some leads. Bumping to point out that this puzzle is not abandoned.

8 years ago

I see...something, trying stuff :)

8 years ago

One hour, totally no clue...I think I'll wait the solution. But have a bump for this crazy puzzle! :D

8 years ago

OK. clearly I made this too hard. Additional hints added

8 years ago

No, I reckon we'll get this . . . eventually.

8 years ago

Well it has now been solved. SilentGuy was the first to post in the giveaway thread.

8 years ago

I only just saw this, so all your hints were already here, but with them it was fairly easy... :)

8 years ago

Oh well, people are solving this with a glance. I guess I am retarded.

8 years ago

What people? There is only one solver, as far as I know.

8 years ago

Well, he is a people.

8 years ago

There have been at least one other solver who has posted in the giveaway thread.

8 years ago

Who knows, maybe I'm just an incredibly intelligent bot! Or a dog. Or four babies in a labcoat...

View attached image.
8 years ago

Still puzzling over the list of words above...

Thanks for such a great set of puzzle-making. Just wanted to confirm that you saw this thread about March's Science Puzzle event and recall at the top of Space Kitty's pyramid you expressed interested in making a real-world application of physics puzzle.... are we on for this plan? Thanks for letting me know Mikalye! Looking forward to it all! :)

8 years ago

Yep it is written.

8 years ago

That makes me happy as a dog on a trampoline!!

http://i.imgur.com/WsTT5GZ.webm

8 years ago

no idea whatsoever.....working hard or not so hard on it :P

View attached image.
8 years ago

Right . .. back on the case. I reckon my thinking will be clearer after a few too many beers.

8 years ago

Ok, so the beers haven't helped, it's getting late and my head is beginning to hurt (I'm sure this is puzzle related, and nothing to do with alcohol).

If I may ask a question of you Mikalye . . . (based on a hunch I had when I first saw the puzzle):
Could I swap "microchips" with "imposition" or "biologist" with "digitoxin" without impacting the solution?

8 years ago

No you could not. But you could swap "microchips" with "kickboxing", "biopic", "scissors-kick" or "fish-oil" without impacting the solution.

8 years ago

What if I changed "D"ivisors with "millions" ? Without making it "M"illions?

8 years ago

"Divisors" could become "Millions" without changing the puzzle. However, if you made it "millions" then a letter in your answer would probably have the wrong case.

8 years ago

So it turns out alcohol wasn't the solution for everything, asking for help was . . . I've got some pondering to do.

Bump for solved!

8 years ago*

Congrats VillaNZ,
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but sometimes vowels symbolise something else again.

8 years ago

Well I finally found what is unusual about the choice of vowels after your reply to VillaNZ, but I still don't know where to go from there.

8 years ago

Wait, I have an idea.

8 years ago

I had two...

8 years ago

Yeah, my idea didn't work. It would have been nice. :P

8 years ago

Yeah, right? Two are coming to one's mind. None of them works. I guess it's fairly simple, though. We are making it complicated.

8 years ago

Ok, so I think I got something, but I don't know where to go now, hahaha
Edti: This is the first puzzle I've tried to do, and I never knew they were so exciting? funny?

8 years ago

I'm so glad you enjoyed it arodfer, and congrats on solving.

I was wondering if I needed another hint, but if a first time puzzler can solve it, I think that I have the difficulty about right now.

8 years ago*

i see some pattern of the pronounciation of o in most words, have no where to go from there.

8 years ago

Bump for solved.. ;)

8 years ago*

Bump!

8 years ago

I already have Portal 2 so not even gonna try

Best excuse I could find... Have no idea where to go XD

8 years ago

Still nothing, but have a bump.

8 years ago

I'm on the same boat. Have been thinking for 3 days and nothing comes up. Bump.

8 years ago

Finally solved. Happy bump.

8 years ago

Grats!

8 years ago

Yes mrt39, seeing your comments on the giveaway page, you really did overcomplicate it. One of the reasons that a first time puzzler could solve it, and experienced puzzlers cannot is I think that the experience comes with our thinking ourselves into a box. So if we see the Hex codes "41 43 54", we can immediately convert those to Decimal codes "67 65 84" and those are the ASCII Codes for "C A T" so we know that it is CAT.

But if I had to encode "CAT", is ASCII converted to hex the most logical thing that I could use? Obviously on SG, it is, because we see it a lot. But in the real world that is just bizarre. I think that this has baffled experienced puzzlers, since I used a much, much more basic encoding.

Whether I can get this principle to work for me in Nordhbane's cafe remains to be seen.

8 years ago*

Last hours bump.

8 years ago

Man, I cracked the code, but it is a codeception, dunno what to do with that bunch of letters (and I'm sure I'm on the right way because the most of it made sense, but not the last letters) .-.

8 years ago

Two and a half hours to go. Quite a people solving in the last few hours. The next puzzle is ready to go and will open after this one finishes.

8 years ago

Oh come on. Binary was the idea I had 2 days ago, but I grouped it in groups of 8... Should have paid more attention to the hints. :P

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.